Bars To Watch World Cup?

bangkok blue

In case anyone wants to try this out, this is how I did it.

1. To overcome the problem of BBC RadioFive Live being unavailable in Thailand, you need to set up a Virtual Private Network. To do this I subscribed to the following site for 5 pounds a month private network . They give easy instructions to set it up.

2. Connect to Radio Five using your browser and then connect your laptop to your hi-fi using a jack with a lead that has a head-phones jack one end and a two pin audio jack on the other end.

3. The audio is probably out of sync by about 3 seconds. If you can't live with that, here is the fix.

1. you need two computers. Use the first computer to play Radio Five Live and on the second computer, download a radio delay program radio delay.

2. Connect the first computer to the second using a mic to headphnoes jack , which I bought at Panthip for 30 baht. Both ends are a jack that fits into Mic or headphones on your computer. The jack should be connected to headphones socket on the computer playing Radio Five Live and then into Mic socket on the other computer which has Radio delay program running. The second computer should be connected from the Headphones socket to your hi-fi.

3. Select the input source from the Radiodelay program and then select the delay amount ( 3 seconds?). Press play on the Radiodelay program then adjust delay accordingly to sync with the video.

If your not clear , PM me.

Excellent post and advice. For those of us with just one computer, here is the answer....

Light travels faster than sound, so to create the necessary time lag, purely site the computer 1 to 2 rooms or what ever distance necessary away from the screen you will be watching the match. Use the above advice to attach it to a stereo, then just adjust the volume to a level that you can hear it.

Cheers

Iain

football fans are the smartest :)

There's a first! a Rugby fan admiting the truth for once... :D

• Like 1

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If any bar owners out there is still showing the WC without a license I would suggest that you get own asap. We have already had the bib by but luckily we already had a license.

You can get a license through Cola Cola, by placing an order for around 4.500B you'll have coke to last you a while, but it's a lot cheaper than getting it from RS.

Also, anyone who wants a demonstration of the WC Audio delay to computer system, or help setting it up, can PM me or come by my bar to see it. I have had it working since Sunday so all the issues have been ironed out.

Anders

You do not need the license if your showing the WC on True Vision HD as the licensing fee is covered by True Vision back to RS but if you are showing the WC from a Thai channel (3,5,7,11, MCOT) or Astro HD then the BIB are the collection agent for RS and will demand 10,000 baht for each television in your establishment. I know owners that received their license free from Singha Beer.

It depends which HD subscription you have.

The 290B 6 months contract does NOT cover the license, you have to have the 790B 12 month contract to be covered by your UBC contract,

If what you say is correct and I believe you, there are going to be some serious upset bar owners that laid serious money for HD and will be busted by the World Cup Policed.:).

Just need to get out a bit more, I would guess, Senor Leyton Orient!

Watched the footie with English commentary with perfect synch just the other night.

Discretion precludes my mentioning the locale...... :)

Hey, enough with the Spanish lingo - don't want people thinking I'm upset at the Swiss. :D

I have watched it too, with pefect synch and congratulations to those who had to go through all the hassle of setting this up, after being blatantly lied to by True Vision's staff. They were conned - "done up like a kipper" as they say in some part of the world.

What else is new eh?

If any bar owners out there is still showing the WC without a license I would suggest that you get own asap. We have already had the bib by but luckily we already had a license.

You can get a license through Cola Cola, by placing an order for around 4.500B you'll have coke to last you a while, but it's a lot cheaper than getting it from RS.

Also, anyone who wants a demonstration of the WC Audio delay to computer system, or help setting it up, can PM me or come by my bar to see it. I have had it working since Sunday so all the issues have been ironed out.

Anders

You do not need the license if your showing the WC on True Vision HD as the licensing fee is covered by True Vision back to RS but if you are showing the WC from a Thai channel (3,5,7,11, MCOT) or Astro HD then the BIB are the collection agent for RS and will demand 10,000 baht for each television in your establishment. I know owners that received their license free from Singha Beer.

It depends which HD subscription you have.

The 290B 6 months contract does NOT cover the license, you have to have the 790B 12 month contract to be covered by your UBC contract,

If what you say is correct and I believe you, there are going to be some serious upset bar owners that laid serious money for HD and will be busted by the World Cup Policed.:D.

hope you werent telling all the bar owners around town about not needing a license if you have True HD on 6 months :)

[

hope you werent telling all the bar owners around town about not needing a license if you have True HD on 6 months :)

How would the police know how long your contract with True is?

Thats what True advertized when they first came out withe their HD. :D True is doing the same thing for the World Cup 2010 as they did for the World Cup 2006 advertising language and licenses that they can not or will not provide. :D I would put a side bet that before the World Cup is over we will see and hear of websites blocked in Thailand that are broadcasting the cup in English and Astro TV down south blocked. Any takers? :D

Edited by gotlost

[

Thats what True advertized when they first came out withe their HD. :D True is doing the same thing for the World Cup 2010 as they did for the World Cup 2006 advertising language and licenses that they can not or will not provide. :D I would put a side bet that before the World Cup is over we will see and hear of websites blocked in Thailand that are broadcasting the cup in English and Astro TV down south blocked. Any takers? :D

Already happening , the radio delay website on Two for the roads post has been blocked by ICT.

Already happening , the radio delay website on Two for the roads post has been blocked  by  ICT.

I'm not really sure what you mean by that. Daansystems.com is the site from the developer or Radiodelay (free program) , which doesn't appear blocked to me, but there are plenty of other sites to download it too - CNET, softpedia, brothersoft etc. I did see that radiodelay.net was suspended but that wasn't the site for the radiodelay program.

While we're on the subject, I noticed a few odd problems last night. Firstly, as the game progresses, the delay seems to increase - I went from about 1.2 seconds at the start up to about 4.5 seconds by the end of the game. Any theories on that? Secondly, towards the end of the Spain-Switzerland game the sound suddenly went about 10-15 seconds behind the video, which meant radiodelay was useless. Anyone using a different programme other than Radiodelay?

Yesterday I got a report that showed me how to get Uk television over the net with nothing blocked and i watched the match last night SA vs Uruguay and it worked great with a few little restarts.

I watched it on the BBC with Gary Lineker and co and it was the first match I really enjoyed as it was all english commetary in sync and I cant wait for tonights england game was gonna watch it in town but now Im staying home to watch it on the BBC or whatever Uk channel its on as this thing has 39 channels including all BBC channels and ITV channels

I have a 3m connection and the earlier game was having bandwidth issues but the late 1.30 kick off worked a treat and I have been watching english tv all morning online and it works Brilliant with a bit of buffering every now and then but overall great and very watchable.

I think during peak usage there will be bufering delays but this is the best free english tv online program I have found.

Had to pay 500 baht for the report but well worth it.

I watched the first 2 matches last night using twofortheroad's method (thank's for that) and I had a 15 second delay for the first half of each match, but a 10 second delay for the second half. The South Africa match was not so constant, several times the radio broacast stopped and when it restarted it was not in sync. I agree with thaimiller, it's not worth trying to mess around with the delay, just re-load the BBC page and usually everything is fine again.

I watched the first 2 matches last night using twofortheroad's method (thank's for that) and I had a 15 second delay for the first half of each match, but a 10 second delay for the second half. The South Africa match was not so constant, several times the radio broacast stopped and when it restarted it was not in sync. I agree with thaimiller, it's not worth trying to mess around with the delay, just re-load the BBC page and usually everything is fine again.

No i never did it with radio 5 live I actually watched the BBC1 broadcast live from the UK just as if I was in the Uk watching it on the telly.

I found the earlier games had buffering problems and thought I had wasted my money getting the report but it turned out to be the fact loads of people were on the net and the bandwidth was the issue, the S Africa game worked like a charm couple of little bufferings and a restart but other than that it was excellent. Been watching BBC and ITV all morning with little to no buffering problems.

I am well happy now I have english Tv in thailand, I think I will keep testing it before deciding if I give up my satellite montly package but if it works as good as its been this morning I wont need to pay for sat tv

Edited by FarangCravings

I tried a few nights ago to watch a match on BBC 1. The introduction show with Gary Lineker & guests was good, but when it came to the match the picture was too small for me to enjoy plus the fact that it was nearly a minute behind the picture on Thai TV. The picture quality was very good with no buffering, but I do prefer the luxury of watching on a TV.

Now I have a compromise, watch the introduction on the PC, switch to BBC 5 Live for the commentary, and back to the TV for the half-time chat and summary. I's a bit messy, but it helps to keep me awake during the third match.

I tried a few nights ago to watch a match on BBC 1. The introduction show with Gary Lineker & guests was good, but when it came to the match the picture was too small for me to enjoy plus the fact that it was nearly a minute behind the picture on Thai TV. The picture quality was very good with no buffering, but I do prefer the luxury of watching on a TV.

Now I have a compromise, watch the introduction on the PC, switch to BBC 5 Live for the commentary, and back to the TV for the half-time chat and summary. I's a bit messy, but it helps to keep me awake during the third match.

Why dont you just plug the computer into the telly then you get the big screen

[

dont True hand out the license to place on the wall?

In case anyone wants to try this out, this is how I did it.

1. To overcome the problem of BBC RadioFive Live being unavailable in Thailand, you need to set up a Virtual Private Network. To do this I subscribed to the following site for 5 pounds a month private network . They give easy instructions to set it up.

2. Connect to Radio Five using your browser and then connect your laptop to your hi-fi using a jack with a lead that has a head-phones jack one end and a two pin audio jack on the other end.

3. The audio is probably out of sync by about 3 seconds. If you can't live with that, here is the fix.

1. you need two computers. Use the first computer to play Radio Five Live and on the second computer, download a radio delay program radio delay.

2. Connect the first computer to the second using a mic to headphnoes jack , which I bought at Panthip for 30 baht. Both ends are a jack that fits into Mic or headphones on your computer. The jack should be connected to headphones socket on the computer playing Radio Five Live and then into Mic socket on the other computer which has Radio delay program running. The second computer should be connected from the Headphones socket to your hi-fi.

3. Select the input source from the Radiodelay program and then select the delay amount ( 3 seconds?). Press play on the Radiodelay program then adjust delay accordingly to sync with the video.

If your not clear , PM me.

Excellent post and advice. For those of us with just one computer, here is the answer....

Light travels faster than sound, so to create the necessary time lag, purely site the computer 1 to 2 rooms or what ever distance necessary away from the screen you will be watching the match. Use the above advice to attach it to a stereo, then just adjust the volume to a level that you can hear it.

Cheers

Iain

football fans are the smartest :)

There's a first! a Rugby fan admiting the truth for once... :D

i was being sarcastic :D

Why dont you just plug the computer into the telly then you get the big screen

The TV and PC are at opposite ends of a large room, it would take a long cable, or re-adjusting furniture to connect them, plus the fact that the TV is rather old and has no apparent way of connecting to the PC.

[

dont True hand out the license to place on the wall?

That's what I thought, but when I went and asked for one they came up with this different contract :D

I thought,maybee they saw a Farangcomingg so I send my wife. She got the same answer.

[

Already happening , the radio delay website on Two for the roads post has been blocked by ICT.

If anyone needs it I have the install file saved on my laptop, so bring an USB dongle to the bar and get a copy.

So the bars that are showing the World Cup with English Commentary are;

Tuskers

UN Irish

Any others?

Also AndersSN looks like you have it but I don't know your bar could you post it here or pm me please?

Tonight

England v Slovenia & USA v Algeria are both on at 1600 SAST or 9pm Thai Time.

What bars will be showing the England match tonight with English commentary?

Anyone got any reports from Chiang Mai Saloons? Have they got English commentary?

Thanks

So the bars that are showing  the World Cup with English Commentary are;

Tuskers

UN Irish

Any others?

Also AndersSN looks like you have it but I don't know your bar could you post it here or pm me please?

Tonight

England v Slovenia & USA v Algeria are both on at 1600 SAST or 9pm Thai Time.  

What bars will be showing the England match tonight with English commentary?

Anyone got any reports from Chiang Mai Saloons? Have they got English commentary?

Thanks

Anders' bar is Dragonfly bar which is about 100 metres from the moat on Loi kroh Rd , right-hand side.

Tuskers is showing the England game on the big screen with English commentary tonight. The USA game will be on the smaller screen in the bar without commentary and on the upstairs plasma with Thai commentary. Fans of both teams plus Algerians and Slovenians welcome. Should be a lively but tense evening. :)

Tuskers is showing the England game on the big screen with English commentary tonight. The USA game will be on the smaller screen in the bar without commentary and on the upstairs plasma with Thai commentary. Fans of both teams plus Algerians and Slovenians welcome. Should be a lively but tense evening. :)

Presume there will be adequate supplies of tissues and razor blades for English supporters,could be a rough night.

Hi,

Will anybody be broadcasting the USA game on their main screen? Thanks...

Hi,

Will anybody be broadcasting the USA game on their main screen? Thanks...

You have to be joking. :lol: This is the land of the English gentlemen. After they stop crying and cutting their throats and wrists they may and I do mean may put the USA game on.

Hi,

Will anybody be broadcasting the USA game on their main screen?  Thanks...

You have to be joking. :lol:  This is the land of the English gentlemen. After they stop crying and cutting their throats and wrists they may and I do mean may put the USA game on.

It won't be easy doing much after throat & neck cutting, if it comes to that,  but even so, the USA - Algeria game is being shown at the same time as the England - Slovenia game,  so putting it on later may not be an option. I imagine that, if anywhere, one of the the Chiang Mai Saloons would be showing the USA game on the big screen. I'm not sure if they have the English commentary though.