I Want To Rent A Cheap House In The Woods Just For Parties. Any Ideas?

mengrai

Hey dudes,

I want to rent a cheap house outside of Chiang Mai purely for the purpose of throwing parties/barbecues/whatever, but real estate agents don't really understand what I'm going for and internet listings are useless. My Thai friends all think it's totally possible and are asking around for me but nothing's come up yet.

I'd like it to be in a quiet, wooded setting with a river or stream running through the property (or nearby), far enough away from other houses that it wouldn't be a problem to play music until two in the morning. The house itself can be totally bare-bones - nobody is actually going to live there, so as long as it has power and water it could be unfurnished and airconless (I'll probably get some mattresses so people can crash on the floor). Wood or concrete doesn't matter much, but I think teak would be pretty sweet.

I've heard there are places like this near Chiang Dao, but that's a little too far - it needs to be less than an hour away by motorbike because all my friends are wusses and won't drive any further than that. I drove west on the 1269 out of San Pa Tong yesterday and saw a ton of houses that would be absolutely perfect, but near as I could tell none of them were for rent.

Do you think it's possible to get a place like this for under 4000/mo? Any ideas on how I can go about finding it? I'm assuming this won't be any more difficult than renting a place in Chiang Mai, but are there other considerations/complications I'm missing?