Thailand Under Intense Pressure To End This Chaos

webfact

EDITORIAL

Thailand under intense pressure to end this chaos

By The Nation

Published on May 18, 2010

The world is watching, and while our conflict is difficult to comprehend for most outsiders, everyone wants to see a swift end to this mayhem

BANGKOK: -- Never has Thailand been so scrutinised under the global microscope. The country is being perceived as a failed state by the international community, especially because of the government's inability to enforce law and order over the past two months. With the 24-hour TV networks and online media constantly focused on the street violence, Thailand is no longer just dealing with the Thai public but the whole world. Whatever happens here is instantaneously transmitted around the world. In most cases, whatever has been reported and echoed outside the country has not been positive to Thailand's image and international standing.

Indeed, in the past few weeks following the violence on April 10 that left 25 people dead, there has been an outcry from the international community, especially regional and international human rights organisations, regarding the use of force against the protesters. Since then, the government has been on the defensive. Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has been very clear that his government will not fire at its own people, and has repeatedly assured everyone that strict rules of engagement will be enforced throughout the campaign to dislodge the protesters from key positions in the capital. However, once in the conflict zones, confusion has reigned and all hel_l has broken loose.

Militant elements among the protesters have been free to de-link from the main encampment because of well-coordinated and detailed strategies. If one goes back through interviews given by the red-shirt leaders and key politicians supporting them earlier this year, their comments are very revealing, as they predicted that bloodshed and guerrilla tactics would be deployed to bring the whole country to a halt. The aim is clear: To destroy the current administration. This is done not for the sake of democratic development.

It is understandable why the international community and human rights organisations are so concerned with the political crisis in Thailand - which used to be a poster child for democracy some two decades ago. Obviously, this country has serious social problems, especially the widening of the income gap between the haves and have-nots and other issues. But the government in power must be able to have an opportunity to deal with these issues.

Thailand is not a failed state. The UN Development Programme and the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security recently released a report on progress toward the human security in the Kingdom. It was a good report. A failed state would not have a comprehensive human security agenda for its citizens. One of the most important items on the national agenda is to improve the quality of the political system so that it can address the ongoing political conflict. At the moment, Thai democracy lacks a dispute settlement procedure that addresses the social problem of inequity.

The next few days will be pivotal in demonstrating whether Thailand is a country that is in need of international assistance. Several international mediators have expressed interest in helping to break the impasse. They must allow the government to do its job first. So far, it has shown a good sense of responsibility in trying to protect and avoid further bloodshed. Indeed, it is due to this overcautious approach that it has been perceived as weak and ineffective.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-18

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the PM does not crush the rebellion he will be criticized. If he does he will be vilified. He is in a no-win situation.

I'm glad we have such a good man in charge at a time like this. Look at some of the past PMs. Who knows what kind of bonehead will replace him?

If the PM does not crush the rebellion he will be criticized. If he does he will be vilified. He is in a no-win situation.

I'm glad we have such a good man in charge at a time like this. Look at some of the past PMs. Who knows what kind of bonehead will replace him?

I agree, it's a no win situation.

The human nature dictates to stop these madness. The longer goes on the worse the situation will become. The Red had a perfect way to end it all but they refused since the objective is not really democracy. I believe restraint is a good think but in this case will not work. No matter how long you wait to stop these violence, it will have to be done the same way. Except the longer it is delayed the more life will be lost.

Is this the same Ulysses, or have you been taken over by aliens? :)

The two choices are the difference between a hammer and a vise. The hammer will destroy the nut, but pieces of shell fly everywhere, and it takes a while to pick up. The vise exerts slow, steady pressure, until the nut cracks, but cracks more gently, with less debris. The reds feel the vise tightening. Remain calm, and they will crack, under the pressure.

If a patient (Bangkok) is suffering a major internal problem (Red occupation), then surgery (crowd dispersement) is a reasonable option. Surgery involves knives cutting in to flesh (military tactics) and no surgery would be viable if the surgeons abandoned their task before its done.

A ceasefire sounds good to observers from afar. But for those who have been following events closely, it's known that a ceasefire would immediately result in retrenchment of Reds. The same cycle of reasonable offers (by gov't) only to be rebuffed or stalled by Thaksin and the Reds would continue. Meanwhile, Reds would stay entrenched and probably increase their barricaded areas, and the continued deterioration of Bangkok.

UN chief and other top bananas can be expected to call for ceasefire and and end to hostilities (what else can they say?), but the reality is more complex.

Is this the same Ulysses, or have you been taken over by aliens? :D

Enlightened self interest, I suspect. :)

The Nation is sooo touching trying to persuade itself.

Bla bla bla bla, and non sense!

The constitution does not work, the judges are biased. That's it.

There are no good Thais, No bad Thais, only Thais who lack a political system allowing them to live in harmony.

This is an "information war." The perpetrator, living in exile, has money and power to influence the flow of information.

This "war" has been going on for some time now........people have been indoctrinated to believe in a "myth."

The perpetrator of these events cares nothing about Thailand or its people..........especially the poor who are supporting him.

The perpetrator has done everything in his power to cause bloodshed.

Why? So that he can use his "media machine" to generate:

1) a myth that make the Reds look good and,

2) a myth that make the government look evil.

The govt. must stop the Reds with force. Why? Because the perpetrator has no intention of allowing the process to end peacefully.

So, it does appear to be a no win situation for the current PM/govt.

Ultimately, an information war that is materializing will dictate the winner of this conflict.

To succeed, the govt. must counter the myth generated by the perpetrator.

In short: This is a problem related to the learning process.

If the "crazy and destructive ideas" that are floating around out there (ideas that are influencing behavior on the ground) are not countered by the government, the Reds will win.

If a patient (Bangkok) is suffering a major internal problem (Red occupation), then surgery (crowd dispersement) is a reasonable option. Surgery involves knives cutting in to flesh (military tactics) and no surgery would be viable if the surgeons abandoned their task before its done.

A ceasefire sounds good to observers from afar. But for those who have been following events closely, it's known that a ceasefire would immediately result in retrenchment of Reds. The same cycle of reasonable offers (by gov't) only to be rebuffed or stalled by Thaksin and the Reds would continue. Meanwhile, Reds would stay entrenched and probably increase their barricaded areas, and the continued deterioration of Bangkok.

UN chief and other top bananas can be expected to call for ceasefire and and end to hostilities (what else can they say?), but the reality is more complex.

... I'm glad you're not in charge. Even one innocent life is worthy of a reevaluation, ceasefire, or 'pull back' to achieve NON-MILITARY intervention in this dilemma. History has demonstrated time and time again, a country DOES NOT deploy military forces against its civilian population. The only 'reasonable' use of this tactic would be in a time of national crisis… i.e. total breakdown of the Executive, Legislative and Judicial branches... that is not the case here.

The Generals of Burma are most likely cheering this on as it unfolds.

Agreed 100%

The Nation is sooo touching trying to persuade itself.

Bla bla bla bla, and non sense!

The constitution does not work, the judges are biased. That's it.

There are no good Thais, No bad Thais, only Thais who lack a political system allowing them to live in harmony.

The system is fine.

It's the corruption that causes the problems.

A good leader must be able to do things which do not look good.

You can't cure cancer without cutting.

Instead of cutting flesh or cracking nuts,

how about simply offering any willing and able body a job in their own province.

All countries have the same problems. There are no jobs in the country areas, so people move to the city to find work.

Similar issues with education. Many in the country areas don't get access to the same quality education.

Economically, and realistically, you can't just instantly give work to everyone. You also can't instantly educate everyone.

It's a long term process, not something that can be solved instantly with a change of government.

Is this the same Ulysses, or have you been taken over by aliens? :D

Enlightened self interest, I suspect. :)

Actually, I always said that I prefer the current government to stay in power and I always supported the PM. I support him even more now after seeing how he has handled this. However, I also felt - and still feel - that the redshirts have some legitimate grievances and these need to be addressed if the country is going to move forward.

The spiteful, poison pen red-haters seem to think that anyone who does not rant and rave about them is a redshirt supporter, but some of us have sympathy for their problems while realizing that the leaders are mostly crooks. I live in Chiang Mai and many of these people are my neighbors and most of them are not bad people. They just want a chance to improve their lives.

They made their point several weeks ago and could have had a real chance at a strong voice in Thai politics, but they blew it when they turned down the PM’s generous peace deal and now everyone is paying for their leader’s stubbornness.

I hope there is some way to salvage some kind of solution, but it is time for them to admit their mistake and give up fighting. They were so close to really accomplishing something important , but they rejected ending this peacefully, so no cigar.

He has to finish this or he will be finished politically.

I am not saying there should be or I want a bloodbath, but there is absolutely no way he can let this protest prolong itself much longer.

They need the absolute best of the best soldiers they have in there, to exhibit as much control as they possibly can and clear this mess up.

I disagree; If he does crush it fast with as few killings as possible he will be praised as saving the country (at least until the next eklection where he will be replaced).

Actually, I always said that I prefer the current government to stay in power and I always supported the PM. I support him even more now after seeing how he has handled this. However, I also felt - and still feel - that the redshirts have some legitimate grievances and these need to be addressed if the country is going to move forward.

The spiteful, poison pen red-haters seem to think that anyone who does not rant and rave about them is a redshirt supporter, but some of us have sympathy for their problems while realizing that the leaders are mostly crooks. I live in Chiang Mai and many of these people are my neighbors and most of them are not bad people. They just want a chance to improve their lives.

They made their point several weeks ago and could have had a real chance at a strong voice in Thai politics, but they blew it when they turned down the PM's generous peace deal and now everyone is paying for their leader's stubbornness.

I hope there is some way to salvage some kind of solution, but it is time for them to admit their mistake and give up fighting. They were so close to really accomplishing something important , but they rejected ending this peacefully, so no cigar.

Very well said UG, its amazing how much wider ones perspective can be on situations when they don't have bias to a particular side or regime. :)

I'm shocked at the continuous support of military intervention in lieu of peace talks I see here on this forum... has everyone forgot that people are dying?

What will it take for calmer heads to prevail?! A 10 year old boy has been killed and his mother is experiencing grief very few have experienced before... all in the name of democracy? I wonder if the mother even understands the meaning?... the child surely did not! What happens when a 1 year old, 2 year old or 3 old life is snuffed out? ... as a result of pure arrogance on behalf of both sides!

I say everyone needs to step back, take a deep breath, swallow their pride and sit down face to face. If that takes weeks, or even months, so be it! A real leader is defined when he/she openly admits the decision is/was incorrect and then revising his/her course.

how about simply offering any willing and able body a job in their own province.

They don't need a job - they re going to get free room and board for a period long enough for them to meditate on their stupidity. Good for the soul, or so I'm told.

I'm shocked at the continuous support of military intervention in lieu of peace talks I see here on this forum... has everyone forgot that people are dying?

What will it take for calmer heads to prevail?! A 10 year old boy has been killed and his mother is experiencing grief very few have experienced before... all in the name of democracy? I wonder if the mother even understands the meaning?... the child surely did not! What happens when a 1 year old, 2 year old or 3 old life is snuffed out? ... as a result of pure arrogance on behalf of both sides!

I say everyone needs to step back, take a deep breath, swallow their pride and sit down face to face. If that takes weeks, or even months, so be it! A real leader is defined when he/she openly admits the decision is/was incorrect and then revising his/her course.

If the reds want peace talks, and don't want to be killed, then they need to pull back. They aren't interested. They set up stages further out from their central location. They keep pushing at the army. The army set themselves up OUTSIDE the red blockades, and the reds pushed out further. That isn't a sign that they want peace.

A good man!!!! What type of narcotics are you on? The whole world is saying he is incompetent and useless have they all got it wrong? Why hasnt he sorted out the demostrators, why is Thailand looking loke the Worlds buffalo? Why have there been assasinations and carnage on the streets of Bangkok? A good man, my arse!

If the reds want peace talks, and don't want to be killed, then they need to pull back. They aren't interested. They set up stages further out from their central location. They keep pushing at the army. The army set themselves up OUTSIDE the red blockades, and the reds pushed out further. That isn't a sign that they want peace.

They NEVER wanted anything they claimed they wanted....

Why do some still believe they want peace, they want elections, blah blah blah....

They want chaos to pave the way to their master...Paycheck will be given then only

A good man!!!! What type of narcotics are you on? The whole world is saying he is incompetent and useless have they all got it wrong? Why hasnt he sorted out the demostrators, why is Thailand looking loke the Worlds buffalo? Why have there been assasinations and carnage on the streets of Bangkok? A good man, my arse!

The whole world? Or a couple of posters on TV?

The whole world wants a peaceful resolution. The reds are being given every chance to keep it peaceful.

Abhisit is weak if he does nothing, or a dictator if the army goes in and kills hundreds of people. Maybe he's going down the middle.

Which way would you have him choose?

You know what they say about opinions "blah blah blah & everyones entitled to one".

Of course, some people just can't see the forest through the trees :)

They NEVER wanted anything they claimed they wanted....

Why do some still believe they want peace, they want elections, blah blah blah....

They want chaos to pave the way to their master...Paycheck will be given then only

A good man!!!! What type of narcotics are you on? The whole world is saying he is incompetent and useless have they all got it wrong? Why hasnt he sorted out the demostrators,

Because he refuses to go in and slaughter thousands of men, women and children. He is trying to stop the highjacking of the capital and still end this as peacefully as possible. That is why he is a good man.

peace-905.jpg

"It is understandable why the international community and human rights organisations are so concerned with the political crisis in Thailand - which used to be a poster child for democracy some two decades ago. Obviously, this country has serious social problems, especially the widening of the income gap between the haves and have-nots and other issues."

Indeed.