Cases Of 2,500 Drug-War Killings In Thaksin´s Government Can Be Renewed: DSI

webfact

DSI: cases of 2,500 drug-war killings in Thaksin´s government can be renewed

BANGKOK (NNT) -- Director General of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) Tarit Pengdit urges the government to expedite its handling of the death squads operating in Thaksin Shinawatra’s 2003 anti-drug policy.

Speaking on Friday following the Prime Minister’s idea to renew the case upon 2,500 deaths of extra juridical killing during Mr Thaksin’s war on drugs policy, Mr Tarit said the case renewal was possible but the government might want to expedite the works.

Meanwhile, Head of DSI's Special Criminal Cases Division, Piyawat Kingket said four cases of extra-judicial killing were accepted as special cases, including two hangings in Kalasin Province, one murder of a business couple as well as Kiatisak Titboonkrong’s hanging. The investigation procedure is speculated to be completed by July 2010.

Mr Piyawat had previously participated in the special investigative committee chaired by Former Attorney General Kanit Na Nakhon in a bid to to find out the truth about the deaths as well as to identify remedial measures for their relatives during Mr Thaksin's anti-drugs approach.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-05-29

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats quite a can of worms to be opened with a lot of (active) police involved! Get ready for another wave of terror.

It may just be a warring to the ones who were involved in this sh..t to stay away from Thaksin, or else

I hope this one comes back to haunt him, as it very well should. Think of Thaksin anything you want, the death squads are all I need to know to know that the man is up to no good. The death squads were a fact, and not even denied by T.

Not sure how well this would be received in Thailand - I guess 50/50 along the lines of the red/yellow divide.

Internationally, it would be huge, and the govt must know this. That's a case where Thaksin could actually get on an interpol most wanted list, and where he could end up in front of the International Court of Justice in Den Hague, charged with crimes against humanity. Hunted down and put on public display. This would kill all international support for Thaksin, and probably also put an end to the international media's spin of the "poor, good redshirts", seeing as it is that the leader of these good, democracy-loving peoples engaged in mass murder.

Get those skeletons out of the closet.

The police actively (passive aggressive/actively) opposed Abhisit getting the Red Rally under control,

this is now saying, your truce/amnesty for the WoD killings is now recinded for opposing the PM, on a national security issue.

And yes also to drive awedge between them and Thaksin.

Okay

If you want to back Thaskin, there is little we can do about it, as you are the Police

So lets re open what you may have done or not done during the drug wars

What was that

Your are on the PM's side now

Ready to work hard and make law and order your first priority

That mean you will be to busy to do the drug investigations

You have new evidence to prove Thaskin was behind it all

You are ready to talk

Interesting how politics can change over night

if you have something to hide

I spoke to a former CIA operative ( for real...) who told me virtually all contract killings done in Thailand are performed

by off duty police. So if true, reopening this case is in essence a shot over the bow of the police dept........

A small example.....

killings

Edited by rhiekel

It will be interesting to see what is discovered.

I have information that these killings were committed by police that were actually getting paid by the drug dealers. Because of Thaksin's crack down on drug activity corrupt police killed those that could indicate them as being involved in the drug trade. I'd be really interested to see if this ever comes out in these future investigations.

I also know that the local police in my wife's village in the South were very happy when Thaksin was ousted because the police could resume their running of an illegal lottery.

Let me also state that I'm no Thaksin lover and that I believe Thailand would be better off if he would just stay away.

I hope this one comes back to haunt him, as it very well should. Think of Thaksin anything you want, the death squads are all I need to know to know that the man is up to no good. The death squads were a fact, and not even denied by T.

Not sure how well this would be received in Thailand - I guess 50/50 along the lines of the red/yellow divide.

Internationally, it would be huge, and the govt must know this. That's a case where Thaksin could actually get on an interpol most wanted list, and where he could end up in front of the International Court of Justice in Den Hague, charged with crimes against humanity. Hunted down and put on public display. This would kill all international support for Thaksin, and probably also put an end to the international media's spin of the "poor, good redshirts", seeing as it is that the leader of these good, democracy-loving peoples engaged in mass murder.

Get those skeletons out of the closet.

Couldn't agree more. I think that all these cases should be re-opened including the cases of boatloads of Rhohingya men and young boys towed out to sea in engineless boats without food or water and left to die (After being beaten up). Oh crikey! you can't have that can you?

Abhisit was chairman of ISOC and that would make him responsible. What charges would he face I wonder?

Edited by termad

From an PR standpoint, it's also great for the government. Quite a few people(mostly idiot Reds and liberal foreigners) either don't know or have conveniently forgotten the murders committed by Thaksin when he was in power. They always like to talk about the coup that overthrew him but seldom about his misdeeds. I think the 3000 or so deaths(including the killing of the Southern Thais) will remind people what a truly evil person this man is.

Coming back to hunt.

I am sure no end in sight, it keep coming and coming

I agree with you!

Do you agree with there is no sight to the end of yellow shirt criminals ever coming to justice?

The rhetoric in TV is all the proof anyone needs that Thailand will not see National reconciliation for decades to come; when the system is built on a faulty Marxist AND Facist base and there are still Aristocratic followers of Pridi and Plaek roaming the hallways.

They likely do the same yacht races together while their pawns are closing airports and street corners.

Don't trust ANYbody who owns private jets, red, yellow, or black!

2,500 dead, it does not look good. There are a lot of people who hate the man now so it is a fertile ground for new cases against him. If I were his age I would not like all that trouble and stress, looking over your shoulder all the time. Look, over 60 and hiding, calling Montenegro to see if he can go back to his villa so he is not deported. This is a life of a dog not of a billionaire. Was it so hard to just get his still incredible fortune and retire and just let it go? Seems like the man does not know where to stop. It will be interesting to see the outcome. Maybe we will have a new revolution and riots. (hope not!)

...WITCH HUNT in a merry go round.....when would it stops....probably Ahbisit would charge Thaksin for farting in parliament.... :)

i doubt very much the familys of those 2500 killed under taksin would agree with you that this is a laughing matter, <snip>, the matter is not abhisits, taksin is reaping what he sowed...its just a shame it took this long for it to be brought up

Edited by Jai Dee
flame deleted

...WITCH HUNT in a merry go round.....when would it stops....probably Ahbisit would charge Thaksin for farting in parliament.... :)

Typical Red shirt. If it's something bad against their master, it's a witch hunt or propaganda. This happened according to various human rights organisations. Oh wait, they work for Abhisit right?

I must admin I am surprised by all the negative reaction to these killings. Most people seem just fine with the concept of the war on drugs. Thailand kills people all the time over drugs. The catch a mule at the airport, they kill them.

And even if they don't kill them, think of all the people every nation on earth throws in jail all the time for drug offenses. In many places being in jail is about as bad being dead.

So is it the number 2500? Is it the process of how they were executed? Is it Thaksin?

I am against the war on drugs. I think what governments do the their citizens every year over the concept of illegal drugs is shameful. But I know from other topics in TV most posters do not oppose the war on drugs. Many do not oppose the death sentence.

I can see the argument that many of the 2500 did not receive due process, that is a valid argument. But the war on drugs is a violent war (against a passive activity) that governments all over the world bring to bear on the governed regularly. The war on drugs is the pretext for authoritative powers used all the time by ambitious leaders. The single action that would stop the most deaths from drugs is legalization. Drug abuse is a medical and physiological issue, not one of law enforcement.

I guarantee you some posters who support grilling Thaksin over this do not have a problem with dead drug dealers. They will get all up in arms about this, but then act complacent to all the other injustices as a result from the war on drugs.

Edited by wlcart

From an PR standpoint, it's also great for the government. Quite a few people(mostly idiot Reds and liberal foreigners) either don't know or have conveniently forgotten the murders committed by Thaksin when he was in power. They always like to talk about the coup that overthrew him but seldom about his misdeeds. I think the 3000 or so deaths(including the killing of the Southern Thais) will remind people what a truly evil person this man is.

What I remember about the war on drugs was that everybody thought it would be a great idea to make Thailand a drug free society to celebrate the King's birthday. I doubt very much that Thaksin was personnaly involved in the Police Operations to obtain this goal and it is just another sign of Abhisit's panic as he realises that he is on the way out and tries desperately to find anything, anything at all, to use as ammunition to keep him in power.

The way he is carrying on now is going to make him a laughing stock around the world if this is a another desperate attempt to involve Interpol in his vain attempts at extraditing Thaksin. Or perhaps he's going to bring criminal charges against individual police officers. Unfortunately that would require evidence which is something usually lacking in Abhisit and Suthep's wild accusations.

You will also remember (if you were in fact here at the time) that there were drug gang wars going on and so how many drug dealers were killed in shoot outs with the Police and how many were killed in shoot outs with other drug dealers would be hard to establish as many of those murders were not classed as being drug related as there was no evidence to confirm that they were in fact drug related. Perhaps the experts on this site can compile lists to present to the Police - I'm sure that they would be grateful.

Edited by termad

What I remember about the war on drugs was that everybody thought it would be a great idea to make Thailand a drug free society to celebrate the King's birthday. I doubt very much that Thaksin was personnaly involved in the Police Operations to obtain this goal and it is just another sign of Abhisit's panic as he realises that he is on the way out and tries desperately to find anything, anything at all, to use as ammunition to keep him in power.

The way he is carrying on now is going to make him a laughing stock around the world if this is a another desperate attempt to involve Interpol in his vain attempts at extraditing Thaksin. Or perhaps he's going to bring criminal charges against individual police officers. Unfortunately that would require evidence which is something usually lacking in Abhisit and Suthep's wild accusations.

Everybody? Does that include the UN?

Did the UN get involved? And if they did, what was Mr Thaksin's reaction? What did he say?

Oh -- and btw -- what is Mr Thaksin's lawyer up to right now? I heard he was trying to get an international agency to mediate in the current situation. Anyone know what international agency he was referring to?

One final question: what does the word "hypocrisy" mean?

You will also remember (if you were in fact here at the time) that there were drug gang wars going on and so how many drug dealers were killed in shoot outs with the Police and how many were killed in shoot outs with other drug dealers would be hard to establish as many of those murders were not classed as being drug related as there was no evidence to confirm that they were in fact drug related. Perhaps the experts on this site can compile lists to present to the Police - I'm sure that they would be grateful.

HRW and AI have a lot of stuff on it all if you really are interested in finding out.

Edited by hammered

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Of course it wasn't Thaksin's fault this happened. Since when do any Reds take responsibility for their actions? Since when do Red supporters see any wrong done by their beloved leaders. Their shit don't stink.

2500 deaths is no small matter. Only a Red would dismiss it as an attempt at extraditing Thaksin. For the family of the victims, somebody has to pay. Thaksin ordered this 'war'. He was proud of it. He boasted about it.

last year I read about containers found underwater off the coast with bodies in them; then it disappeared off the news. Any new info on that ?

The death squad killings is about the only true fact known and frowned upon in France about Thaksin; apart from this here he's a "democratically elected premier ousted by a military coup".

At the time of the drugz killingz let's not forget Thaïland was flooded with yaba from Burma ; there had been the astounding story of the drugz factory-town erected over the border (with power generators transiting by trucks through Thaïland). Something had to be done quickly and not the usual way , which had been powerless.

Just for comparison we now often have drugz busts here in the million euro a year spectrum,complete with assault rifles caches in laundered money mansions . This is a real threat to any democracy and I wouldn't be shocked if Thaksin's death squad methods were applied here , since the judiciary system works soooo slow and sooooo soft and sooooo Mickey Mouse (caveat for divorced fathers of course).

I know there have been cases of relatives killed with the traffickers but I don't know about the specific cases stated in the article ; nonetheless, I feel ya ba and ya saï tit ( : heroïn) pedlars belong in better -to- be- forgotten graves.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Of course it wasn't Thaksin's fault this happened. Since when do any Reds take responsibility for their actions? Since when do Red supporters see any wrong done by their beloved leaders. Their shit don't stink.

2500 deaths is no small matter. Only a Red would dismiss it as an attempt at extraditing Thaksin. For the family of the victims, somebody has to pay. Thaksin ordered this 'war'. He was proud of it. He boasted about it.

It wasn't a war. What victims are you talking about - do you have names, dates, numbers?

Why haven't you leapt in to discuss the thousands of Rhohingya who were in fact murdered = for the heinous crime of being illegal immigrants.

I think what you need are some rationality pills.

Edited by termad

last year I read about containers found underwater off the coast with bodies in them; then it disappeared off the news. Any new info on that ?

The death squad killings is about the only true fact known and frowned upon in France about Thaksin; apart from this here he's a "democratically elected premier ousted by a military coup".

At the time of the drugz killingz let's not forget Thaïland was flooded with yaba from Burma ; there had been the astounding story of the drugz factory-town erected over the border (with power generators transiting by trucks through Thaïland). Something had to be done quickly and not the usual way , which had been powerless.

Just for comparison we now often have drugz busts here in the million euro a year spectrum,complete with assault rifles caches in laundered money mansions . This is a real threat to any democracy and I wouldn't be shocked if Thaksin's death squad methods were applied here , since the judiciary system works soooo slow and sooooo soft and sooooo Mickey Mouse (caveat for divorced fathers of course).

I know there have been cases of relatives killed with the traffickers but I don't know about the specific cases stated in the article ; nonetheless, I feel ya ba and ya saï tit ( : heroïn) pedlars belong in better -to- be- forgotten graves.

The containers were suspected of being coffins for Rhohingya

Everybody? Does that include the UN?

Did the UN get involved? And if they did, what was Mr Thaksin's reaction? What did he say?

Oh -- and btw -- what is Mr Thaksin's lawyer up to right now? I heard he was trying to get an international agency to mediate in the current situation. Anyone know what international agency he was referring to?

One final question: what does the word "hypocrisy" mean?

What on earth has the UN got to do with it?