Refunds From Thai Banks

Whilst up dating my <snip> Bank account at my local branch in Chalong, Phuket I was shocked to find out that all my funds, 280,000 Baht had been stolen out of it.

This happened on the 3rd March, and since then following masses of communications with this Bank they are still refusing to credit my account with these stolen funds.

To date I have followed all the correct steps and procedures of reporting this theft to the main Police Station in Phuket town, along with the main Police Station in Pattaya where these stolen funds were withdrawn.

At the moment I'm trying to get a hold of their Terms and Conditions in Thai and English, and I also believe there is a Thai banking act that has a code of conduct over such matters.

After 3 months I am becoming quite disheartened, so if there's anyone out there, or knows of such a case, I would be most grateful to hear about it please.

Edited by soundman
Removed name of insitution, as post could be seen as defamatory.

Whilst up dating my <snip> Bank account at my local branch in Chalong, Phuket I was shocked to find out that all my funds, 280,000 Baht had been stolen out of it.

This happened on the 3rd March, and since then following masses of communications with this Bank they are still refusing to credit my account with these stolen funds.

To date I have followed all the correct steps and procedures of reporting this theft to the main Police Station in Phuket town, along with the main Police Station in Pattaya where these stolen funds were withdrawn.

At the moment I'm trying to get a hold of their Terms and Conditions in Thai and English, and I also believe there is a Thai banking act that has a code of conduct over such matters.

After 3 months I am becoming quite disheartened, so if there's anyone out there, or knows of such a case, I would be most grateful to hear about it please.

poster....

there are many thaivisa members who can give you some assistance.... but your acct of info is so short of facts and details....

if you need further assistance.... spell out important details....

280k thb is not a small sum to easily forgotton either by you or by any banking system....

atm does have eyes on each transaction.... yours is no exception....

so what is the real story behind it all....? :)

About 4 years ago whilst staying in BKK, my Bangkok Bank account was cleared of 100,000 baht after my ATM card was copied from a Bangkok Bank ATM outside the 7/11 near Sukhumvit Soi 22. It was Bangkok Bank who contacted me to advise of this problem. Despite obtaining a police report and holding meetings with Bangkok Bank head office in Silom Road, I was never able to get this money reimbursed, even though it was absolutely not my fault.

However, the bank was kind enough to waive the 500 baht fee that is usually charged for issue of a new ATM card :)

Simon

About 4 years ago whilst staying in BKK, my Bangkok Bank account was cleared of 100,000 baht after my ATM card was copied from a Bangkok Bank ATM outside the 7/11 near Sukhumvit Soi 22. It was Bangkok Bank who contacted me to advise of this problem. Despite obtaining a police report and holding meetings with Bangkok Bank head office in Silom Road, I was never able to get this money reimbursed, even though it was absolutely not my fault.

However, the bank was kind enough to waive the 500 baht fee that is usually charged for issue of a new ATM card :)

Simon

So, where are we now? Thailand is not safe. Bangkok is not safe. Pattaya is not safe.

Thai Banks are not safe. Sell everything and get ot? Maybe even can't take your money with you?

Questions, questions... Who knows the answers? :D

I cannot envisage a Thai bank reimbursing people and eating the loss themselves, which is why I have one account with a passbook only and another with only a month or so of funds with an atm card.

Are their not rules the same as in the west whereby you are automatically insured for loss from theft apart from a excess charge ?

That sucks... Kind of makes one think twice about loading up a meaningful level funds into a Thai bank account doesn't it? I know that in Western countries, the banks won't risk their reputation by not refunding fraudulent transactions. Those banks generally have insurance for these types of issues and have fraud investigation teams as well. Sure doesn't look like the case here though. :)

QUOTE (simon43 @ 2010-06-06 07:08:12) About 4 years ago whilst staying in BKK, my Bangkok Bank account was cleared of 100,000 baht after my ATM card was copied from a Bangkok Bank ATM outside the 7/11 near Sukhumvit Soi 22. It was Bangkok Bank who contacted me to advise of this problem. Despite obtaining a police report and holding meetings with Bangkok Bank head office in Silom Road, I was never able to get this money reimbursed, even though it was absolutely not my fault.

However, the bank was kind enough to waive the 500 baht fee that is usually charged for issue of a new ATM card huh.gif

Simon

So, where are we now? Thailand is not safe. Bangkok is not safe. Pattaya is not safe.

Thai Banks are not safe. Sell everything and get ot? Maybe even can't take your money with you?

Questions, questions... Who knows the answers? cool.gif

Having worked in a UK financial banking institution, this scenario is not too different in many ways and is not that far removed from what happens here. If the PIN number is used at an ATM, the bank I worked for would not take it on as fraud. Fraud advised me that they would only take it on if the customer got the police involved and were able to prove that someone else had take the money out with the PIN. Bank fraud teams know alot more than you think about what goes on, and there are certain things they will look for which will give clues. They can tell for instance if it was a copied card that was used. Getting the police involved here is where it may all fall apart.

Not to imply that this is the case for the OP, but banks here see a huge amount of ATM fraud which is girlfriend/sister/cousin/maid originated as well. Most people will absolutely deny the possibility. But there is actually a very low incidence of real 'copying/skimming' especially now as almost all the ATMs have the anti-skimming devices attached at the card reader.

In my case, it was Bangkok Bank who became aware that the ATM in Sukhumvit Road had been tampered with and had 'skimmed' several ATM cards, including my own card. Bank officials fully admitted that it was not my fault, that I was not the only customer who had lost money, and that they had absolutely no intention of reimbursing my account.

Interestingly enough, about 2 years ago, they accidentally credited my bank account with 50,000 baht too much (admin error). I withdrew the funds before they had time to correct their error. In the subsequent meetings at their Silom Road office, I reminded them of the incident of the skimmed ATM card, (which they had records of), and I made it very clear that I was not going to return the 50,000 baht. No action was taken by them against me, but I think it unlikely that I could get a bank loan from them if required :)

Skimmed cards can occur to any customer/any bank - but I expect a bank to have a full refund policy in these circumstances

Simon

Customer protection laws in Thailand are practically non-existent, and in cases where some customer protection laws do exist the laws are not effectively enforced and/or effectively advertised to customers.

When it comes to ATM accounts you shouldn't keep more in the account than you can afford to lose; keep the rest in a regular savings account or deposit account "which has not ATM access/privilege." When you need to add some money to your account with ATM access, go to the bank and move some money into it from your other account.

• 6 months later...