Dengue Fever Outbreak In Thailand Strikes Thousands Nationwide

webfact

Dengue fever outbreak strikes thousands nationwide

By Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Ministry reported Tuesday that dengue fever has infected 17,587 people and killed 20 patients around the country in the past five months.

The Ministry's permanent secretary Dr Paiji Warachit said the number of dengue fever patients this year has increased by 58 per cent when compared with the same period last year. Most dengue victims were aged between 10 to 24 years.

The Ministry reported the Central region was the hardest hit with 7,945 cases, followed by 4,264 in the South, 3,753 in the Northeast, and 1,625 in the North.

The Department of Disease Control's director general Dr Manit Teeratantikanont said the dengue virus type 1 has been spreading widely this year. But people are at risk also from dengue virus type 2 and type 3 as most do not have immunity against these two virus types.

Paijit said the dengue fever outbreak would peak during the rainy season from June to August.

To tackle the outbreak, the Ministry has set up a committee teamed up with 23 people from state agencies including the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and the Ministry of Interior. The committee will be chaired by deputy permanent secretary Dr Siriwat Thiptaradol.

Paijit said the ministry will this year tighten up its disease reporting measures in every area across the country.

Health officials will be urged to report disease cases within 24 hours and mobile teams will be sent immediately to counter the outbreak.

Local authorities have been advised to spray insecticide at least once a week to eradicate the dengue-bearing adult Aedes Aegypti mosquito which bites humans in the daylight hours.

Patients whose body temperature exceeds 38.5 degrees Celsius for several days and have red spots on their skin are advised to take only paracetamol to reduce the fever before seeking medical advice.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-06-08

Dengue fever outbreak strikes thousands nationwide

By Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Ministry reported Tuesday that dengue fever has infected 17,587 people and killed 20 patients around the country in the past five months.

Paijit said the dengue fever outbreak would peak during the rainy season from June to August.

Patients whose body temperature exceeds 38.5 degrees Celsius for several days and have red spots on their skin are advised to take only paracetamol to reduce the fever before seeking medical advice.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-06-08

1. Peak from June to August...nice for the tourism industry sad.gif

2. Take Paracetamol if you have a fever higher than 38,5 C for several days and have red spots on your skin and NOT see a doctor ? blink.gif

LaoPo

I believe they are advising against taking aspirin. Some posters who are more knowledgeable can shed some insight on this, but aspirin is a blood thinner and this can cause severe complications with Dengue fever. So, paracetemol is the drug of choice.

I think it's wise to see a doctor if you are feeling very ill. I had it quite a number of years ago and I was too sick to get to a Dr. I just suffered it out, but it is very nasty stuff to get.

I once read that in Africa they had genetically produced mosquitoes that were superior to the local bread. These male mosquitoes often won the mating dance and thus were selected to bread by the local females. The modified mosquitoes had a unique flaw, they were infertile. Those reducing the speed of mosquitoes borne diseases.

What about prevention? They can go around the communities and smoke 'em out.

We live in a higher middle class project yet I have never seen them coming around to smoke the place.

As usual in LOS, first let people get sick or die then take measures :) .

Prevention IS on-going in Bangkok. I have officials coming every year smoking, has been happening for the last 5 years at least. I just wish that they could warn us in advance so that I could plan an "somewhere else" activity for the kid.

Prevention IS on-going in Bangkok. I have officials coming every year smoking, has been happening for the last 5 years at least. I just wish that they could warn us in advance so that I could plan an "somewhere else" activity for the kid.

Wish they had the foresight to do this in Krabi.

As a quick tip (learnt from our days in Singapore):

Get rid of any standing water that you may have around your home.

This means regularly emptying plant pots, buckets, ornaments etc.

The stripy little b*ggers (they really are stripy!) breed in standing water.

Simple but pretty effective.

As a quick tip (learnt from our days in Singapore):

Get rid of any standing water that you may have around your home.

This means regularly emptying plant pots, buckets, ornaments etc.

The stripy little b*ggers (they really are stripy!) breed in standing water.

Simple but pretty effective.

Absolutely the most important remedy, yes. or put a pinch of washing powder in the water... And one reason why smoking isn't that needed in up-scale neighbourhoods, no or at least few old tires and pots that broke 5 years ago laying around

2. Take Paracetamol if you have a fever higher than 38,5 C for several days and have red spots on your skin and NOT see a doctor ? blink.gif

LaoPo

See a doctor, but until he will describe you something else, NO experiments with self-medication.

high body temperature for several days and red spots -signalise that isn't a common cold and a lttle fever anymore, but that are the symptoms for dengue fever. Take only paracetamol. Other medicine like Aspirin for example can bring your life at risk when you have dengue fever.

I seem to recall it was illegal to have standing water around your place in Singapore,good advice to all this.

I looked for a thermal fogger in Bangkok to control these but couldnt locate one,any ideas from anybody?

In singapore the government runs big public awareness campaigns and started a "war" on all the tiny breeding places of the mosquitoes, including groups of school kids partolling trough the neighborhood and eleminating all these standing water spots, a palm leave or the half of a coconut shell filled with rainwater could be such a breeding spot.

I seem to recall it was illegal to have standing water around your place in Singapore,good advice to all this.

I looked for a thermal fogger in Bangkok to control these but couldnt locate one,any ideas from anybody?

In singapore the government runs big public awareness campaigns and started a "war" on all the tiny breeding places of the mosquitoes, including groups of school kids partolling trough the neighborhood and eleminating all these standing water spots, a palm leave or the half of a coconut shell filled with rainwater could be such a breeding spot.

I don't want to live in an environment like that, don't bring German discipline to Thailand please, how utterly boring life would become. Not to mention "better"...

i am on day 6 of Dengue fever, and let me tell you this is the most unpleasant sickness i have had to date...

Has anyone else had dengue? i have a couple of questions...The rash as of today just spread onto the palms of my hands and the tops of my feet and my fingers and toes are now slightly inflammed and VERY itchy but it hurts when i scratch them (as in my skin is so sensitive). Also i noticed that my gums are bleeding when i brush my teeth and i did find some dried blood in my nose. Does this mean that i have haemorrhatic dengue? and id so will it just 'dissapear' or do i need to go to hospital?? Sorry for the questions and content of them... Just a bit worried as i cant seem to find any concrete information on 'what to do when'.

They have done this since at least the early 1970s when I lived there. Compared to Singapore, the Thai authorities do nothing ( that I can see ), stagnant water all over.

i am on day 6 of Dengue fever, and let me tell you this is the most unpleasant sickness i have had to date...

[...] Just a bit worried as i cant seem to find any concrete information on 'what to do when'.

Hi there,

here are two sites which might be of a little help:

Dengue Fever

CDC Dengue Fever

Get well soon

Mike

EDIT: add 1 site

Edited by MikeOboe57

I believe they are advising against taking aspirin. Some posters who are more knowledgeable can shed some insight on this, but aspirin is a blood thinner and this can cause severe complications with Dengue fever. So, paracetemol is the drug of choice.

I think it's wise to see a doctor if you are feeling very ill. I had it quite a number of years ago and I was too sick to get to a Dr. I just suffered it out, but it is very nasty stuff to get.

nt sure why anyone would take asprin, it's a blood thinner as well as pain relief, the reason to take paracetemol I assume is its fever reducing qualities nothing to do with pain relief.

Edited by smedly

Has anyone else had dengue? i have a couple of questions...The rash as of today just spread onto the palms of my hands and the tops of my feet and my fingers and toes are now slightly inflammed and VERY itchy but it hurts when i scratch them (as in my skin is so sensitive). Also i noticed that my gums are bleeding when i brush my teeth and i did find some dried blood in my nose. Does this mean that i have haemorrhatic dengue? and id so will it just 'dissapear' or do i need to go to hospital?? Sorry for the questions and content of them... Just a bit worried as i cant seem to find any concrete information on 'what to do when'.

Go to the hospital! There are four strains of Dengue. Better safe than sorry! I have had another mosquito bourn virus that is very similar to Dengue called Chikungungya. I've had it for almost a year now. It's extremely painful. Back and joint pain, swollen joints. I was put on morphine at one point. It's nothing to fool around with. People die from these virus'. Good luck, but get proper care. There isn't any vaccine or cure for either virus. I'm taking doxycycline now to try to ward off another mosquito bourn infection. It helps prevent malaria and there are some suggestions it may help prevent other mosquito bourn virus'

Best wishes on a speedy recovery, Jimi

Go to the hospital! There are four strains of Dengue. Better safe than sorry! I have had another mosquito bourn virus that is very similar to Dengue called Chikungungya. I've had it for almost a year now. It's extremely painful. Back and joint pain, swollen joints. I was put on morphine at one point. It's nothing to fool around with. People die from these virus'. Good luck, but get proper care. There isn't any vaccine or cure for either virus. I'm taking doxycycline now to try to ward off another mosquito bourn infection. It helps prevent malaria and there are some suggestions it may help prevent other mosquito bourn virus'

Best wishes on a speedy recovery, Jimi

I had this also about 3 years ago but after being covered from head to toe with the spots i had very little pain or swollen joints and also never had the virus feeling? the doctor could not understand it,i was in Pattaya at the time and felt ok to go about my daily business and it cleared after i started taking the Doxycycline 3 a day at first for a 4 days,it sorted me out and the drug is issued in the Uk now for Malaria travel areas because it is cheaper than Malarone.....also Doxycycine is the drug used to treat syphilis and many other disease.I still get the red spots from time to time now,but not the same! i think they are more from the heat and not any Dengue but i shall have to be alert to a quick spread,like you posted above maybe it stays in your system and comes back when rundown or even if having it once you are more suseptible to getting it again,i hope you recover well by the way...interesting thread.

You be glad you've never had Malaira my friend... That I can tell you is something that you should not wish even your worst enemy. The highest temperature I measured was 40.9 and that was when the fever attacks just had started, wasn't in the mood to check longer into them but I bet the fever went up another degree, it felt like two...

Don't play with tropical fevers! Go To Hospital! If you still feel strong, not dehydrated etc, then you don't necessarily have to accept to be admitted but let them check you up and ask open questions to the doctor. If he recommends admission, ask him if he thinks that it is un-wise or very un-wise to to follow his recommendation. Smile and look at his face when he answers. I have done that in the past and it works, you should be able to determine the honest opinion of the doctor

Good Luck