Work Permit Info Req'D

Hi guys,

Job Contract starts 1/8

Current 90 day entry expires 31/7

Non imm o multi (spouse) visa expires 1/10

I believe that I need to initially get a work permit and then an extension of stay.

The school says I can start the work permit application in August and it will take about 2 months.

Is it possible to get things started earlier and get an extension before August so that I can avoid the border run on 31/7?

Also, Would I be able to extend on the basis of my marriage to a Thai rather than employment as the salary is greater than 40k per month?

Finally, how long is the work permit medical certificate valid for as I don't want it to expire before the work permit application is completed?

Thanks.

Do not believe you will have any chance of an extension of stay without a work permit so your best choice seems to be a border run before the end of July to obtain a new 90 day stay and then during the last 30 days of that do your extension of stay. Depending on where you are a border crossing/return can be done quite quickly/cheaply.

Thanks PoorSucker. Is there any way I can make this extension before 31/7?

If you are going for the extension of stay based on marriage you need either:

a. income letter from embassy stating 40.000 baht/month

b. Tax receipt for income of 40.000 baht/month

c. Bank letter stating 400.000 baht in bank over two months.

You don't have to have WP for extension based on marriage.

You have not specified your gender.

If you are female there is no money requirement for extension based on marriage.

Edited by PoorSucker

Thanks Lopburi and Poorsucker.

I am male.

I don't satisfy PoorSuckers a, b, or c at the moment and as I don't start my job until August, I guess tax receipts for an income of >40k/month will not be available until September?

I was hoping somehow that the work permit ball could start rolling now and some sort of within Thailand extension could be made before 31/7 e.g. 60 day extension of visiting wife?? Then after WP issued and tax receipt for >40K/month, a yearly extension based on marriage?

If this is not possible I will just border run before end of July.

Also, how long is the WP medical certificate valid for?

Edited by guru

You can get such an extension of stay but it will cost 1,900 if no extra is asked. For most people with a valid visa a border run is the same price and provides 90 days rather than 60.

Can't answer the medical question but I would get just before you apply.

Medical certificate must be within 6 months.

Be sure to specify that the medical is for WP.

They will check for not being insane or mentally sick, suffering from leprosy, tuberculosis, drug addiction, alcoholism, elephantitus and syphilis.

More here: Work permit

Page two is in English.

Dear Sir,

As you have registered your marriage with the district office, you can actually apply for a long-term visa under the category of “Extension of Stay based on Marriage to a Thai national” after July 1st, 2010. You as the applicant must be able to show either a monthly income of no less than 40,000 Baht per month (proven and supported by the Employer(company)’s PND 1 (PND 1 is the company’s monthly withholding tax on the staff salary) as well as a PND 91 (PND 91 is the personal annual income tax filing) or 400,000 Baht in your Thai bank account. Where this funds must be deposit into the said bank account for at least 2 months (for first time application and 3 month for the renewal).

The recommended solution in applying would be in your case : to show the 400,000 Baht in your Thai bank account. If you choose to show the 40,000 Baht monthly income, you would run into road block of requirement to also show your work permit (of which would not be apply until August 1, 2010).

As for the validity of the medical certificate, there are is a time frame of six months stipulate by the labor department. Please be informed that some hospitals have their own internal policies of specify the validity of their medical certificate such as 1 month, 3 months, or 6 months.

Normally a work permit could be issued within 2 weeks, but as you will be working in an education institute, the process will be taken longer than usual as it would involve the approval and clearance from the Ministry of Education.

[sunbelt][/sunbelt]