Vw Amarok Pickup

I'm not really a Pick Up Freak (prefere US and Sport Cars or Bemers), but i bought a 4 door Ford Wild Track (which i rent out to well know customers sometimes), about 8 months ago, and i think, specially in the rainy season it becomes very handy sometime. I also have a dog, and the Pick up is perfect for driving with the dog to the beach, specially when the dog becomes sandy, after swimming.

Now in the rainy season is Pattaya allways flouted anyway, so there is the Pick Up the best choice (unless you own a rubber boat or a Kajak for swimming around in town). So, just to mention, not everyone is a farmer who drives a Pick Up Truck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not build on frame and it does not have rear leaf springs, so in LOS it would be taxed as a passanger car even if build in LOS.

Somehow the tester in the above link doesnt agree with you here

snip

The Amarok might be European-designed, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's soft. Despite early predictions of a unibody chassis, like the Honda Ridgeline, it's a conventional body-on-frame workhorse with MacPherson struts at the front and leaf springs at the rear.

snap

But beside of that, the price would still be too high here as a full import.

Guess they are only making it as LHD, as VW is not focusing on major RHD pickup-markets

Quite possibly because there is no major RHD markets to speak of..

Well only 33.9% of the world population drive on the left, so that's about 2 and a bit billion of us. Sounds like a big market to me but who would want that VW is anybodys guess.

Somehow the tester in the above link doesnt agree with you here

snip

The Amarok might be European-designed, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's soft. Despite early predictions of a unibody chassis, like the Honda Ridgeline, it's a conventional body-on-frame workhorse with MacPherson struts at the front and leaf springs at the rear.

snap

But beside of that, the price would still be too high here as a full import.

Guess they are only making it as LHD, as VW is not focusing on major RHD pickup-markets

Well only 33.9% of the world population drive on the left, so that's about 2 and a bit billion of us. Sounds like a big market to me but who would want that VW is anybodys guess.

Well in comparison to other 76.1% of LHD that's not a major RHD market and certainly not when comparing it in this region as in the topic there is not 2 and a billion of anyone here who drive on the left, as well factoring for ridiculous import taxes...

Well in comparison to other 76.1% of LHD that's not a major RHD market and certainly not when comparing it in this region as in the topic there is not 2 and a billion of anyone here who drive on the left, as well factoring for ridiculous import taxes...

oh dear please do your maths, that would be 66,1% or 2/3rds in imperial.

So one third of the planet drives on the left, and it would be the therfore 33% of sales that buys pick ups, not as most RHD people in the civilized world would dream of it as they are a pile of s%^&.

VW is a world car maker and know it's markets well but I have to say this is not an inspired design, I do drive 42 year old VW for fun by the way.

I guess your one of those ex colonists that got independence before a proper eduction sytem was established, But don't worry there are courses available to learn basic mathematics.

Yeah a typo so sue me and you're still off topic as the original post you're commenting on was about the Asian market not the entire world!! Especially since it's called math not "maths" since it's one form of math but hey maybe you're one of those specially educated TEFLER's so it's all good...Just a little stereo typical hypersensitivity about being in the smaller percentile once again in your life I guess? Why take it so personally that RHD is only 1 third of the world market <deleted>?? Geezzz! There's no end to the knee jerk hypersensitivity here....

Edited by WarpSpeed

Maybe slightly off topic, but what intriques me is that the VW Caddy is not available in Thailand.

Great vans for economy and comfort and quite quick as they are a turbo diesal.

My guess is the problem of taxation as they are a van but would the government view them as a commercial vehicle when they have no rear seats or as a mini-bus when they have seats installed. Same problem for Toyata Vans. I never see any goods carrying Toyota Vans just mini busses in Thailand and Toyata Mini busses are expensive because of the tax bracket.

Any ideas- is it tax or does VW not see the market ?

Maybe slightly off topic, but what intriques me is that the VW Caddy is not available in Thailand.

Great vans for economy and comfort and quite quick as they are a turbo diesal.

My guess is the problem of taxation as they are a van but would the government view them as a commercial vehicle when they have no rear seats or as a mini-bus when they have seats installed. Same problem for Toyata Vans. I never see any goods carrying Toyota Vans just mini busses in Thailand and Toyata Mini busses are expensive because of the tax bracket.

Any ideas- is it tax or does VW not see the market ?

Toyota Commuter minibus is tax free with more than 12 seats. Pickups build on frame in LOS with rear leafsprings and capable of loading 1000 kg is tax free. 3% tax on 4 door.

VW Caddy doesnt fit in any of these segments, but their caravelle is taxfree with 12 seats.

A build in pickup cost 350-500k baht, so why use a Toyota Commuter at 1,2 mill to carry goods.

Back to the Vee Dub topic.

The single cap version has been snapped undisguised.

14924132831541988086.jpg

http://www.worldcarf...11---spy-photos

Hmmmmm, for sure l am not excited. :ermm:

looks like the base model for tradesmen, those wheels look so ugly :bah:

I thought pickups are for tradesmen

in the main they are, but most tradesmen wouldnt buy the one posted by the OP as a trade vehical

its similiar as saying 4x4 SUVs are for people who drive offroad

Love the maths!!!! kind of gives you an idea of what your dealing with though doesn't it?

BTW - 40% of roads are DOTL.

Lets forget about those "little" markets

Japan, India, as well as UK Australia NZ etc etc.

the truth is that most vehicles are designed for conversion and it ain't usually a problem unlike US motors which are virtually unsellable outside the states with left, right or even in the middle driving position......!!!!

Lets throw another one into the ring.

e_lightbox_novasaveiro.jpg

Amarok or amarok, whats it gonna be

not one bodypanel, lights or anything looks the same

That's because it is not an Amorak.jerk.gif

Just because VW makes a truck in Argentina doesn't mean they doesn't have others made elsewhere. Would you like a picture of a VW tractor unit for hauling semi trailers.

Edited by VocalNeal

Love the maths!!!! kind of gives you an idea of what your dealing with though doesn't it?

the truth is that most vehicles are designed for conversion and it ain't usually a problem unlike US motors which are virtually unsellable outside the states with left, right or even in the middle driving position......!!!!

If the previous pics in this thread are all Amaroks, I beleive they already make them both LHD and RHD. Note the fuel filler cap on right side on one truck and left side on another.

VW is FOCUSING on China, but since mainland China chose LHD, VW is not FOCUSING on any major RHD market like India, OZ, NZ, Japan or LOS. UK is a very small pickupmarket.

Edited by katabeachbum

Lets throw another one into the ring.

e_lightbox_novasaveiro.jpg

Amarok or amarok, whats it gonna be

not one bodypanel, lights or anything looks the same

That's because it's not an Amarok.jerk.gif

Just because VW make one truck in Argentina (if that is where it is made) doesn't mean they don't have others. The one pictured out sells Amarok.

Maybe you'd like a picture of a VW tractor unit for hauling semi-trailers.

Edited by VocalNeal

If the previous pics in this thread are all Amaroks, I beleive they already make them both LHD and RHD. Note the fuel filler cap on right side on one truck and left side on another.

VW is FOCUSING on China, but since mainland China chose LHD, VW is not FOCUSING on any major RHD market like India, OZ, NZ, Japan or LOS. UK is a very small pickupmarket.

Thank you Kata that is in part what I was trying to convey unsuccessfully in spite of numerous sincere attempts...

ERR last pictures posted show this VW as a Trooper ? READ the badge on the side.. VW made RHD pickups way back in 1939..

This is NOT a 1 Ton pickup..

Three trim levels are available, a 1.6l (base), 1.6l Trend and 1.6l Trooper. The 1.6l is the most basic workhorse and features unpainted bumpers and very simple interior trim. Its sole purpose in life is to work. On a higher level is the Trend which comes with features like body colour-coded bumpers. Some may even go as far as calling it a freight car with flair. Top of the range is the Trooper model which is aimed at younger, active people. Visually it is also more specified.

There are many nice small pickups in South Africa + they are in RHD..

As for 1 Ton pickups also many that are not in Thailand. Couple of high sellers in other markets.

post-42643-049060900 1278116282_thumb.jp

post-42643-024925600 1278116944_thumb.jp

How about this

post-42643-092457300 1278116921_thumb.jp

post-42643-055161800 1278117155_thumb.jp

post-42643-032881000 1278117792_thumb.jp

ERR last pictures posted show this VW as a Trooper ? READ the badge on the side.. VW made RHD pickups way back in 1939..

This is NOT a 1 Ton pickup..

Three trim levels are available, a 1.6l (base), 1.6l Trend and 1.6l Trooper. The 1.6l is the most basic workhorse and features unpainted bumpers and very simple interior trim. Its sole purpose in life is to work. On a higher level is the Trend which comes with features like body colour-coded bumpers. Some may even go as far as calling it a freight car with flair. Top of the range is the Trooper model which is aimed at younger, active people. Visually it is also more specified.

There are many nice small pickups in South Africa + they are in RHD..

As for 1 Ton pickups also many that are not in Thailand. Couple of high sellers in other markets.

post-42643-049060900 1278116282_thumb.jp

post-42643-024925600 1278116944_thumb.jp

How about this

post-42643-092457300 1278116921_thumb.jp

post-42643-055161800 1278117155_thumb.jp

post-42643-032881000 1278117792_thumb.jp

None of these are 1 ton, but 3/4 ton pickups. Thai pickups are unique in its load capacaty of 1 ton, compared to vehicles weight of 1,6 to 1,9 ton.

Yeah a typo so sue me and you're still off topic as the original post you're commenting on was about the Asian market not the entire world!! Especially since it's called math not "maths" since it's one form of math but hey maybe you're one of those specially educated TEFLER's so it's all good...Just a little stereo typical hypersensitivity about being in the smaller percentile once again in your life I guess? Why take it so personally that RHD is only 1 third of the world market <deleted>?? Geezzz! There's no end to the knee jerk hypersensitivity here....

nice flame atempt and a happy 4th of July.

that Suzuki Equator looks a nice bit of kit, looks F150ish with that grille

Looks like a rebadget Nissan Navarra to me?

It is a Nissan Navara with F150ish front

Navara Looks much cooler with H3ish front available aftermarket in LOS

%21BeycCewBGk%7E$%28KGrHqQH-CwErfUh1,+SBK-tfF87Fg%7E%7E_35.JPG

nah i think i like the Suzuki one better