First Concert?

Spee

Kiss may have been the first concert I ever actually went to, but I can remember as clear as day the first time I heard LOUD, LIVE AND ROCKING music.

I must have been about 9 years old or so. We lived across the road from the local high school where they used to have 'The Dance' every month or so. (As kids, we got such great pleasure out of nicking the booze that the boys used to stash in the bushes over the road).

Anyway, this particular night, I was asleep, and woke up to the windows of my bedroom shaking. I didn't know what the heck was going on, but then, after listening carefully, I could make out the words of the song: "TNT. OI. OI"

ACDC. Original line-up.

But living in Melbourne we got to see some fantastic bands during the fantastic 80's pub scene. We used to go down the beach on a Sunday afternoon. When the sun went down, it was to Vics fish and chip shop for dinner, and then we'd line up outside the Pier Hotel in Frankston for whoever was playing that night. We used to pay $5 to see INXS.

Those days were great. Into the pub at 6pm. Barely edible free pub supper at 7.30 (to soak up a bit of the booze) and the main act would finish at 10pm. Home in bed by 10.30pm, and off to work on Monday morning with barely a hangover.

I miss those days.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ACDC.  Original line-up. 

I thought AC/DC original line up were called 'The Easybeats'

Two members of AC/DC were related to George Young from the Easybeats, that is Malcolm and Angus....Phil Rudd was also related to some of Oz's best songwriters...Bon Scott was in the Valetines prior to AC/DC which also featured Glenn Shorrick of Little River Band fame. I believe that they were both involved in Velvet Underground which also spawned some Aussie greats....Harry Vanda and George Young (ex Easybeats) also became great songsmiths of the 70's here in Oz as well as teaming up for a couple of hit songs as a duo in the 70's.

by the way.....do any Aussies remember the free Opera House concerts of the late 70's...

Skyhooks, Ol'55, LRB, Flowers etc....

Went to two of them and one was on the night of the Hilton Bombing. Actually passed there just before the bomb went off after leaving the concert.....can remember the garbo truck on the street.

One of my first dates and driving Dads car (68 chevy) was to the Santa Monica Civic and we saw Mountain and Zuffer..... WOW that was fun...

Ahhh... regretfully admit I forgot to include Leslie West (Mountain) on the other great guitarist thread.. Sorry Mr. West, your playing on Theme From An Imaginary Western and Nantucket Sleighride are incredible.

Concert-wise, my first was

Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes, 1971

the first big act I saw was Otis Redding at Vanderbilt University, Nashville in 1967. He was killed in a plane crash 2 days later. Previous to that I had been exiled to Bolivia from 1965...a seminal period in US popular music and I would have seen other acts during that period.

Was this pre-Stranglehold? Brilliant rare burst from Theadore. I caught the Cat scratch fever tour late 70's (I think?) and wow! Ted went a bit weird tho... in a Charleton Heston kinda way, except bows n arrows, being a purist :o

Edited by bahtandsold

Another thing I can remember is when I was working in Amsterdam (schipol) in 1971. Me and a group of Dutch lads went to see a concert in Amstleveen. We all climbed in through the toilet window cause there was a big queue. The name of the group 'Brainbox' Completely unheard of till you looked at the line up and found that it contained the legandry Jan Akermaan.

Another thing I can remember is when I was working in Amsterdam (schipol) in 1971. Me and a group of Dutch lads went to see a concert in Amstleveen. We all climbed in through the toilet window cause there was a big queue. The name of the group 'Brainbox' Completely unheard of till you looked at the line up and found that it contained the legandry Jan Akermaan.

toiletwindow...look at your foto and i am shore your lies won't last long...

lived long enough in Holland to tell your there are no toiletwindows big enough for you fat <deleted> !!! anyway Jan Akkerman played in that group, yes, but tell me the reason you subscribe him as "legendary"?? :o

Was this pre-Stranglehold? Brilliant rare burst from Theadore. I caught the Cat scratch fever tour late 70's (I think?) and wow! Ted went a bit weird tho... in a Charleton Heston kinda way, except bows n arrows, being a purist :o

Ted Nugent

One concert I missed out on and regret it to this day.

My mates went and claimed Ted Nugent played by far the loudest gig of its time if not all time. true?

bahtandsold: yes, it was a promotional tour for Survival of the Fittest... and that was an apt description of the concert... I only just survived... barely.. :D

He certainly has weirded out as he's aged. Ultra-conservative politically and a big game hunter.

HarryHacker: yes, it was extremely LOUD and raucous... all the better for it, .. :D

toiletwindow...look at your foto and i am shore your lies won't last long...

lived long enough in Holland to tell your there are no toiletwindows big enough for you fat <deleted> !!! anyway Jan Akkerman played in that group, yes, but tell me the reason you subscribe him as "legendary"?? :o

I would imagine his fret burning histrionics on the track Hocus Pocus would deserve a year long subscription at least.....

[anyway Jan Akkerman played in that group, yes, but tell me the reason you subscribe him as "legendary"?? :o

Oh dear..........................................getting someone else to write your scripts now are we?

But wait a minute................................I remember relating the same tale to you in the Pub one day, and you agreed with everything I said. If you can count DUUUUUUUUHHHHHHH as an agreement.Of course you didn't have a script writer in those days. :D

Edited by lampard10

While in high school in 1969, I saw The Rascals. Remember "Good Lovin'", yeah, why we come to LOS. The next year Jimi Hendrix came to town, played an uninspired set at the Auditorium for an hour, then showed up (unannounced) at a local night club, evidently a more comfortable setting for him, because he played there the rest of the night.

Bob Dylan....1966 and and few weeks later Jeff Beck and the Yardbirds,Ike and Tina Turner with the main band ...the Rolling Stones (inc.Brian Jones) :o

Tickets were 12/6 and 15 bob.........peng :D

Bob Dylan....1966 and and few weeks later Jeff Beck and the Yardbirds,Ike and Tina Turner with the main band ...the Rolling Stones (inc.Brian Jones) :o

So whats that in real money then?

Seeing as this was 10 years before i was even born :D Not saying your old or anything :D

Amazing what prices were .... eh?

In '74 I went with a bunch of friends to a big outdoor concert (about 25,000 people). The lineup was several local bands with Bachman Turner Overdrive and the Beach Boys as the two headliner acts. I think it was like $8 to get in. Not bad for 8 hours of music including two top acts.

In '99 (right at the release of his Continental Drifter album) I paid only a $10 cover charge to see Charlie Musselwhite play in an intimate club setting. The entire club was only about a couple dozen tables and I was able to sit right in front by the left side of the stage. Strangely enough, it wasn't very crowded and anyone that wanted to could talk with him or anyone in the band on the breaks. It would have been a bargain at double or triple the price.

Looking at my Beatles ticket it says, Lower Stand Reserved (seats) $5.50 no refunds.  That's 1966 prices.

My last concert, Rolling Stones - Licks World Tour, cost me about $A1200.

The ticket was about 200, the rest was the cost of airfares Perth-Syd and the hotel.

(Perth is still a cultural wasteland)

The good news--- as I was initially seated next to some very drunk original Australians, management moved me to a VIP area immediately in front of the second stage. Very good seats.

about 1968 the jeff beck group in rotterdam, also saw jimi hendrix with my brother in cologne but can't remember what year :D

slade, cream, ten years after, small faces, swinging soul machine, james brown all in late 60's early 70's great stuff :D

worst one - taking my 16-year old neighbour's daughter to a bay city rollers concert in melbourne, was deaf for 3 days from all that screaming, thank goodness they walked off after 30-minutes of h3ll :D

most upstaged one, leo sayer against alice cooper :o

Edited by kreon