Tiger Boxer 250Rs And Yamaha Mx Compromise

CMX

I spent five months in Chiang Mai sorting out motorbikes. During that time, I rented a Honda 125 Wave (2 flat tires, 2 necessary chain adjustments), but test-drove (one-day rentals) other models: PCX, CBR, Elegance, Skydrive-i, Airblade-i, Shogun, and Hayate – some others. I went on a few day trips involving local mountains.

I studied reports available here on the ThVi Bike Forum and found them informative. Both my test rides and understanding of the contributions of members here (and my personal history of riding) led to a conclusion: For me, there is no perfect bike for the hustle and risks of heavy traffic that can at the same time answer the call for two-wheeled travel out of town. I need two bikes, but budget is a factor.

I realize that ex-pats have settled on a number of “all-around” models, and this has led to much contention. To my mind, the PCX, with but 125cc, was not designed as a long-range explorer, spanning Thailand from side to side (though it doubtless can be done, and well, and mods are around). It is a handsome compromise, but does not answer for me.

The CBR, which its advocates love to drive in cities, simply cannot meet my needs, as I do not intend to shift gears in town. For many, shifting is automatic and instantaneous! For me (after 40 years of experience), it takes time to shift – if only those fractions of seconds necessary to prevent an accident. There is also the issue of turning radius, particularly in a tiny soi or cramped parking field.

Nouvo Elegance does not come close to a Ninja in the countryside, but may certainly represent a best compromise, depending upon priorities. Given its comfy seat, choice of fuels, and power, it comes closest in my mind to an acceptable compromise. I might have purchased one instead of my choices and saved 40,000 baht.

Yes, it boils down to personal preference for someone who has ridden all types for years, but has not raced or even gone trail riding. For me bikes have been transportation. And the choice involved means.

My compromise – and that is what everyone makes whether they know it or not – is to drive a little automatic motorbike in town, because as a machine, without regard to anyone’s skill, it delivers greater safety. (I am aware of the “get ahead of everyone else” argument, but it holds little value when there’s heavy traffic just ahead of my bunch. Nor can I maneuver a big bike as well among forests of mirrors as I can with a toy motorbike.)

On the other hand, I decided upon a serious, if lower powered, motorcycle in the country – a new Tiger Boxer 250RS to go with a second hand Nouvo MX.

I chose a second-hand (5th, perhaps) because of its seat, room, storage room, and above all, its automatic transmission. I chose the Boxer because it is a motorcycle and can take me anywhere in Thailand as well as anything having five gears.

Admittedly, the great majority of far/lang bikers in Thailand will disagree. Most of us are “big bike” lovers. Most of us love the exhilaration of speed. I am more interested in quality of life itself – enjoying the travels while getting from place to place expeditiously, efficiently, relatively comfortably, and uninjured. Most of us enjoy the game of racing, a bit, on public roads. I am a fan of Judas’ film about irresponsible idiots on the public roads who might have harmed or killed others instead of themselves (smart clothing, though; half of their wits seemed sound). I prefer to improve the (admittedly risky) odds of living, little injured, to tell the tale, which is less likely at 160 kms on public roads, whether we like it or not. On top of all that, I am no longer young enough to qualify to fly combat jet aircraft, which is about the age when we all, should we have children or other dependents, “get real.” One twenty kps will do for me.

It is tempting, even to me, to think, “Use a car.” But that solution denies us the full delight of setting out in the mornings from a far place, smelling and feeling the dawn, and experiencing the out-of-doors much more intensely, the flavor of bugs. Once around this time there was a country bike, and there was a city bike - my transportation compromise, Lefty Red and Ol’ Blue (though new).

post-98988-048048700 1277688105_thumb.jp

Hi CMX , nice write and good looking bike- the nuovo is also a nice town bike.

@edwinchester , the Boxer has red , white, blue as standard colors.

I made another post for special colors for the Boxer/Bulldogs models here:

Happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Ed,

The top box surprised me in that while most of them, when mounted high, look to me like some awful pimple or something bigger on a bike, the color coordination seemed to make less so and almost balanced in this case.

At around 900 baht, I don't suppose that I'll be able to use it forever, but I've found it extremely useful for shopping, carrying straps, and the like.

Ed,

The top box surprised me in that while most of them, when mounted high, look to me like some awful pimple or something bigger on a bike, the color coordination seemed to make it less so and almost balanced in this case.

At around 900 baht, I don't suppose that I'll be able to use it forever, but I've found it extremely useful for shopping, carrying straps, and the like. It doesn't rattle like other less expensive types I've bought in the past, but bolts (4) directly to the carrying structure - which means for longer trips I'll have to bag the contents and that it does not function like a suitcase. I bought the windscreen, but as I use visors on my helmets, have been testing with the windscreen (900 baht also, I think) off. Still "breaking it in," so it will be a bit until I get to post pics of the true luggage picture - saddles, tank, and duffel bag.

post-98988-061433700 1277690581_thumb.jp

I must say that CMX's topbox which is also painted to bikes color looks really nice and combines well to the bike.Maybe CMX cab post a picture of his bike with the Topbox mount?I did have a topbox on my boxer too (not as nice looking as cmx's - i bought it locally as tiger didn't offer it then) and it really comes in handy when you want to take some stuff with...strap-on tankbag is also nice to mount but i imported mine as it was not found locally in the size i wanted it. .

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Ed,

The top box surprised me in that while most of them, when mounted high, look to me like some awful pimple or something bigger on a bike, the color coordination seemed to make it less so and almost balanced in this case.

At around 900 baht, I don't suppose that I'll be able to use it forever, but I've found it extremely useful for shopping, carrying straps, and the like. It doesn't rattle like other less expensive types I've bought in the past, but bolts (4) directly to the carrying structure - <snip>

I had probs opening yr 1st image yesdy morning, so I went looking for others....... I was not impressed with what I saw!

Later I got yr image to open, that is one nice bike! You've got me thinking now... LoL.

BTW, yr top box is made of ABS, and should last a very long time.

Don't forget to post a report after yr 1000km service.

Go safely. :thumbsup: