Workpermit For Diving Instructor

Hey,

I "work" in the dive industry here in Thailand and am interested in doing this legally (with work permit) rather than doing it through the usual "run-away-immigration-police-is-coming-style". Been here a couple of years and now is time to make my stay here a bit more organised etc.

Unfortunately dive schools don't hand out work permits like they hand out certifications, so I am looking for alternative ways to get a WP.

I heard of instructors setting up their own company (not dive shop) for this purpose and would like to know if this is indeed a good (and still profitable) option

Anyone here who has some experience with this or has alternative suggestions for me?

I started looking through the TV forum for relevant topics but didn't find any yet (many other good topics caused distraction (no this time it wasn't the Bars & Girls forum) and finally my brain fried after a couple of hours of TV browsing).

cheers

Bucho

Mechanically, you simply start a Thai Private Co. Ltd - all of which, at the outset (untl they start pursuing activities) are merely holding companies. You then obtain a work permit to work as Managing Director of this holding company - to guide it in pursuing activities (such as opening a bank account, hiring staff, etc).

Some considerations you need to keep in mind: in order to sponsor one work permit, company must have 2,000,000 baht regustered capital, and must be registered for VAT. Once you get your work permit, it will only be valid for less than 90 days (until your entry permit expires) - and unless you can employ four Thais and pay-in 2,0000,000 baht capital (to qualify for long-term entry permit extension), you will need to make a visa run every 90 day. Starting the month after your work permit is issued, your company MUST pay personal income tax withholding on the monthly salary you stated in your work permit application.

So - you become MD of a company - and you can call it an "oceanographic consulting company" or a "contract staffing company," or a "marine safety consulting service" - or whatever you want. What you have to bewary of is getting classified into some category where you require either Ministry of Education or Tourism Authority of Thailand licensing.

As far as being "profitable" - that is purely dependent upon:

1) Your marketing ability

2) Your ability to find and satisfy unfulfilled demand

3) Your business skills, in controlling costs, and maximizing profit

4) Luck

5) Your ability to survive a period of initial unprofitable operation - probably at least one year

Most people fail because:

1) They do not have the marketing and sales capability to bring in business.

2) They were undercapitalized, and could not survive long enough to reach the break-even point.

One lesson learned: It is BRUTALLY difficult to build up a profitable businessif you must depend largely on forever coming up with new customers, month after month. It is HIGHLY desirable to come up with a business model where you develop a growing portfolio of repeat business - such that each successful marketing effort (each customer that you "win") pays off again and again, for months and years.

The Thai islands are crawling with dive instructors and golf pros, and it is VERY hard to stand out in the crowd. I would suggest not starting a dive-related business unless you ALREADY have a fairly strong list of clients already lined up, waiting in line for you to commence offering your services. It is absolutely INSANE and SUICIDAL to start a company first, and then try to find some customers. The burn rate (office rent, monthly accounting, and personal income taxes) will bleed you white, before you can build a strong business.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com