Siemens Water Heater Dh06111

chrgrims

Hi,

I am having a kitchen installed and the builder bought a siemens water heater for the sink. its dh06111, and its smaller than a heater for the shower. its 6000 watts. shower heaters are usually 3000 watts, is this true? is there any advantage with a higher wattage?

The price is 7500 baht, much more than a normal water heater. So, i am considering swapping it for a conventional heater, but wanted to post here first. if there are some real advantages, i might keep it.

Here are the specs on the siemens website:

http://www.siemens-home.com/th/ผลิตภัณฑ์/เครื่องใช้ไฟฟ้าชิ้นเล็ก/เครื่องทำน้ำร้อน/DH06111.html?source=browse

A 6000W heater for the kitchen sink....Wow. We only heat showers in winter with 3500W heaters, maybe your contractor is worried about your flatware being cold?

Edited by Pushit

we are only trying to get hot water for cleaning plates and stuff, normal things. Not sure why he bought that one, maybe he got a percentage, who knows. Seems like we will swap it for something around 3k watts.

We have a 7000 for the kitchen sink, The master bathroom sink & bathtub(which probably will use only 2-5 times a year).

The shower can be 3000 & up & has a thermostat. Don't try to hook your 6000 unit into the shower. It will cook the skin off your bones as it only will deliver HOT water & cannot be mixed well enough to get a hot shower.

That certainly seems a bit big to feed just a sink, most showers here are indeed about 3.5kW which is marginal in the cool season (I like to luxuriate in a HOT shower). However, really hot water is useful for getting those dishes sparkling clean (wear rubber gloves of course). If it's not killing the budget I would keep it.

As it's a multi-point heater you could extend the pipe run to other sinks or the washing machine too.

BTW, since it's European it should have a scald-preventer that stops it producing water of a dangerous (to adults) temperature.

Is your kitchen faucet a mixing valve? I.e., does it mix hot and cold water together to give you the temperature you want rather than adjusting the heater itself? If so, you can't use a normal shower heater. You have to use a multipoint heater and it's hard to find ones that are smaller than 6KW. I ran into the same problem and did manage to find a 4.5KW Clarte which is still overkill. But the heater control is sensitive enough that I can adjust the faucet from very hot down to just warm so it works OK.

Is your kitchen faucet a mixing valve? I.e., does it mix hot and cold water together to give you the temperature you want rather than adjusting the heater itself? If so, you can't use a normal shower heater. You have to use a multipoint heater and it's hard to find ones that are smaller than 6KW. I ran into the same problem and did manage to find a 4.5KW Clarte which is still overkill. But the heater control is sensitive enough that I can adjust the faucet from very hot down to just warm so it works OK.

I do not know much about the European brands of water heater, but I have been happy with my 6kw Panasonic (DH-6AM1) that has 3 temperature settings - 3.5kw (Low), 4.5kw(Medium) and 6kw(High).

I use Low for showers (and Medium during the few cold weeks at the end of the year), and High for filling the bathtub.

<P>hmm, interesting. the faucet is a mixing valve. So, the final decision is to keep it!

</P><P><BR></P><P>thanks all for the great help.</P>

of course this means that the water will be very hot on the extreme setting. i dont see any scold protection setting on the heater. so if anyone know how to handle this problem, i would be happy to listen.

Edited by chrgrims

of course this means that the water will be very hot on the extreme setting. i dont see any scold protection setting on the heater. so if anyone know how to handle this problem, i would be happy to listen.

The heater will not protect you from the wrath of your wife (look up 'scold') :)

The scald protection is not a setting, it's built in and is simply a cutout switch that operates when the water exceeds a certain temperature (the value of which escapes me at present).

in our house the wife scalds and the water scolds ;). cant find the switch on either, guess they are both automatic! :D 

I was a plumber in a previous life and although obviously colder, in the UK it was recommended not getting showers less that 7.5KW (or 7500w as described here in Thailand).

My showers here are 6000w (Panasonic)and work great. Had bad experience with Seimens 3500w, they were useless.

A scolt feature or limiter is fitted within most showers and not wives, unfortunetly.

We have a 7000 for the kitchen sink, The master bathroom sink & bathtub(which probably will use only 2-5 times a year).

The shower can be 3000 & up & has a thermostat. Don't try to hook your 6000 unit into the shower. It will cook the skin off your bones as it only will deliver HOT water & cannot be mixed well enough to get a hot shower.

i [not so] humbly beg to differ. all our bathrooms have 6kW water heaters and they are not sufficient to provide real hot water in cool months as we had december/january 2008.

perhaps the reason is that our water tanks are underground and therefore no ambient heat is transmitted.

i [not so] humbly beg to differ. all our bathrooms have 6kW water heaters and they are not sufficient to provide real hot water in cool months as we had december/january 2008.

perhaps the reason is that our water tanks are underground and therefore no ambient heat is transmitted.

Instantaneous water heater used in temperate countries usually have rating up to 12kw to suit winter months. Those used in Thailand are usually no higher than 8kw, should you be staying on the mountains up North. But we should get a heater that has different temperature settings, and not just on/off.

on a sidenote, what are the benefits of instantaneous heaters compared with small tanks? in norway we use small tanks in the kitchen made of soft material, they hold a few hundred liters i would guess. Please dont scold me for not finding the answer if its here on the site already. 

on a sidenote, what are the benefits of instantaneous heaters compared with small tanks? in norway we use small tanks in the kitchen made of soft material, they hold a few hundred liters i would guess. Please dont scold me for not finding the answer if its here on the site already. 

Waiting time for the water to heat up, unless you do not mind having the heater always plugged in and turned off/on by the thermostat. This will mean that electricity will be consumed to maintain the stored water hot, whether you are using it or not.

Waiting time for the water to heat up, unless you do not mind having the heater always plugged in and turned off/on by the thermostat. This will mean that electricity will be consumed to maintain the stored water hot, whether you are using it or not.

If I am not mistaken the Siemens Water Heater DH06111 is a flow-through heater without a tank, hence the 6kW.

The heater will not protect you from the wrath of your wife (look up 'scold') :)

The scald protection is not a setting, it's built in and is simply a cutout switch that operates when the water exceeds a certain temperature (the value of which escapes me at present).

Funny enough I'm speccing out the hot water system for the living quarters on one of our offshore platforms right now.

Some facts:-

Table 1 - Water Temperature Effects on Adult Skin

(Source: Report prepared by Dr. Moritz and Dr. Henriques at Harvard Medical School in the 1940s)

Temp. - - - - - - - Type of Burn injury

Deg. F ---1st Deg. Burn ---2nd Deg. Burn

111 ----- 270 Minutes ----- 300 Minutes

113 ------120 Minutes ------180 Minutes

116 ------20 Minutes -------45 Minutes

118 ------15 Minutes -------20 Minutes

120 ------8 Minutes --------10 Minutes

124 ------2 minutes --------4.2 Minutes

131 ------17 Seconds ------30 Seconds

140 ------3 Seconds --------5 Seconds

151 ------Instant ------------2 Seconds

120 degrees (F, sorry about the US customary units here - it's about 50C) is an industry standard for scald prevention in showers in the US but a lower temperature is recommended for children.

If I am not mistaken the Siemens Water Heater DH06111 is a flow-through heater without a tank, hence the 6kW.

Yes, the 6kw Siemens is an instantaneous water heater. OP asked about benefits of instantaneous compared with storage type water heater and I answered with the negative aspect of storage type when used in a kitchen.

I used the storage type back home where we have 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms on two floors. We installed one for each floor, but we only turn power to the heaters on and wait out 25-30mins should we need to take a bath/shower.