Organic Meat In Chiang Mai

Andreas84

I came across some places which claim to sell organic meat. It may not be certified organic, as the certification costs a lot of money, but could very well be that it is actually organic. One place is the Baan Suan Paak healthfood store. They sell chicken (breast, thighs, wings etc), minced pork, some lamb, beef etc. I tried their chicken and minced pork, which seems fine, whereas the beef seemed a little bit "dry" (hard to chew).

Then there is "Hamza Farm". They have an outlet near Chiang Mai Land/Chang Klan Rd. But the best thing is perhaps to place an order from them by phone or email, and get it delivered to the door. They slaughter everyday, and provide chicken, beef, duck, lamb, goat and beef. I have not yet bought any meat from them. They claim all of their products to be organic.

Does anyone have experience with meat products from these places, and do you have any indication to whether or not the meat is truly organic?

Sorry, can't help you directly, but i hope the thread answers your questions. I would say though that i think the lady running ban suan pak is eminently trustworthy. I've talked a few times with her, and she has her own testing equipment that verifies if foods have been treated with pesticides or not. Her background was as a pharmacist, and that is how she came to see the damage that chemicals can do. She got out of her profession and now has her health food store instead. Admirable. You should speak with her about her meat and find out more from the horse's mouth so to speak...

Interestingly i've never seen meat there! Not very observant of me.

I too have been wondering about the source of meat, in particular farmed fish, wondering what legacy it may hold in store for our health and bodies.

Khun Nong does a good job at Baan Suan Pak store. Most of her products are mostly pesticide reduced. The actual organic or 100% pesticide free items are maybe 20% to 30%.

Still reduced pesticide, hormones, antibiotics etc are a good thing.

She keeps her meats, poultry, seafoods in a stand alone freezer case.

Hamza has pretty good products and they are stocked at various places like Rimping. They seems to have an emphasis on healthy products but it would be interesting to actually visit one of their facilities. Has onyone done this?

Also Rimping stocks some Australia and New Zealand meat products which tend to be pretty healthy but expensive.

If you have the bahts also Japanese kobe beef which has high standards.

It's too bad import duties are so high. Last time I was in the US was really surprised how many grass fed, organic, free range type products are widely available and reasonably priced.

It's still slim and expensive selection in Thailand. Even grass fed Thai meat products probably have traces of DDT and other banned in the west pesticides. DDT is used widely in LOS.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

did i not see a sign at the halal butcher shop across soi 17 changklan shortly before the bridge at  holiday inn that says 'organic'?

Yeah, I believe that must be Hamzas' Farm, which I mentioned :-) Unless there are more than one such butcher shop in that area.

As far as pork is concerned, you may wish to try and find a guy by the name of Johan.

Some years back he was purportedly raising organic hogs. Somewhat to the south of CM, I believe...... I understand that quite a few of the expat community were interested in him and his project, perhaps still are and would be able to give you contact details.

G

• 1 month later...

hi

you see in the muang mai market.... you can come in my shop, and i can shwo you a good place.... bat i think no organic beef... in thailand... is organic meat not easy to find... bat the best quality for meat is meat from cp.....

Which is the best places out of all these to buy ground beef for cheeseburgers? Thanks.