Self Storage Chiang Mai?

Soulwy

Guys (and Girls),

I am looking for a place to store 4 small boxes until October.

Online I could only find one in Hang Dong, but I hope to try find one in Muang.

Suggestions are more than welcome! Thanks in advance.

Have you tried doing a thaivisa forum search (in chiangmai forum) on this topic. There have been quite a few threads on this. From memory, one thaivisa member started a self-storage service as a result and subsequently I saw ads running in (I think) the citylife web classifieds. Long-time active contributors like UG would probably know if this service is still being advertised/available.

Have you tried doing a thaivisa forum search (in chiangmai forum) on this topic. There have been quite a few threads on this. From memory, one thaivisa member started a self-storage service as a result and subsequently I saw ads running in (I think) the citylife web classifieds. Long-time active contributors like UG would probably know if this service is still being advertised/available.

the ads in citylife classifieds are not the member you refer to. Whoever put the citylife ad does not answer email or telephone calls. Good luck ever getting your stuff out of there (if you could ever get it in of course)! But there was a member who offered storage in his home.

Most people do just rent a room to store a few boxes or a motorcycle, etc. You can rent a room for 3 months or whatever for 1500-2500 Baht per month. Put a padlock on and there you go.

• Like 1

Elektrified, renting a room will be my last option, seems a bit weird to rent a room for only a couple of boxes. But if there is really nothing else...

Many foreigners are part time stayers in CM, it surprises me there isn't a (reliable) self storage place for couple of things. Mmm...maybe there is a small business when I get back...:D;)

I think that the demand in CM is not sufficient to support a proper business of this kind with decent water and flood proof premises, insurance, humidity control and security with a central location and easy access. People think that a lock up room will do, but try to find a secure ground floor one where the management will take a credit card payment or Paypal when your trip abroad is unexpectedly extended and you begin to see it's not such a great solution. Paper and fabrics can soon grow an attractive coating of mould if left in a closed room for even a short period. Nevertheless, the perception is that the service should be cheaper than it really can be given the likely customer base and until the city grows such that the value of space becomes a bit more apparent it's not likely to be as easy to find dependable short term storage as it is in Bangkok or most big cities.

I think that the demand in CM is not sufficient to support a proper business of this kind with decent water and flood proof premises, insurance, humidity control and security with a central location and easy access. People think that a lock up room will do, but try to find a secure ground floor one where the management will take a credit card payment or Paypal when your trip abroad is unexpectedly extended and you begin to see it's not such a great solution. Paper and fabrics can soon grow an attractive coating of mould if left in a closed room for even a short period. Nevertheless, the perception is that the service should be cheaper than it really can be given the likely customer base and until the city grows such that the value of space becomes a bit more apparent it's not likely to be as easy to find dependable short term storage as it is in Bangkok or most big cities.

As I recall, Greenside's friend did some market research into opening a professional storage business in C.M. and there was not enough demand. The ones that responded to the survey were not willing to pay a fair price for this service.

I'm quite happy to do an uninsured storage for you for a small fee. Got a spare room I never use.

Thanks for the offer... :jap:

As I recall, Greenside's friend did some market research into opening a professional storage business in C.M. and there was not enough demand. The ones that responded to the survey were not willing to pay a fair price for this service.

That's interesting... I wonder what the price and how the facility were...

Edited by Soulwy

I have a 50% interest in 10 one bedroom apartments near Bosang (rent is 1,500 per month). I don't think that all 10 have been rented since the first year (they are 3 years old) . If there was enough demand, I'm sure that I could convince my thai partner to convert 1 apartment to a short or long term rental storage space. It would have to generate a little bit more than the 1,500 baht that could be had from a conventional apartment rental.

Dear posters, thank you so much for posting. Also to the ones who offered me storage space 'back stage'.The CM-forummembers are great!

It was a bit hard as many foreigners are part time residents, but in the end I asked a friend who lives in CM full time and was willing to store my stuff. Other options for storing were guesthouses (or TV-members :))

Thank you all and enjoy the raining season! (and Korean, Japanese food, fruit, nightmarkets...Oh darn...how I miss CM!)

:jap:

Chok dii!