Good Things Topic.

villagefarang

Doi Chaang, Doi Wawee and Doi Tung are the best known local brands. I only know of one Wawee Coffee Shop in Chiang Rai but they are popular in Chiang Mai. I haven’t noticed any Doi Tung shops other than the one serving coffee up on the mountain. Doi Chaang seems to have the most outlets in Chiang Rai.

I usually brew Doi Chaang beans but have been known to try others from time to time.coffee1.gif

I can’t remember the last time we had this many visitors to our little forum without there being a news story about drugs and murder. Thanks pomchop for a good topic.clap2.gif

You're welcome. It seems to me that there is no shortage of forums or topics where you can read page after page of whining and personal attacks and Thai bashing. I get very weary of all the negativity as I suspect many others do as well.

How about if all our CR members just try and think of something positive about where we choose to live or the Thais that we chose to live among and share that experience from time to time? And if someone has a question how about we all either offer some sort of answer or advice rather than attack the person as being stupid, dumb, etc for daring to ask a question?

No doubt we all see and experience a lot of things in CR that make us mutter under our breath or shake our heads in amazement.....I suspect the key to sanity is to just try and understand that this is Thailand and the Thai people will do things in their own Thai way and we can either accept those things we cannot change or become angry and frustrated old men.

Very well stated again. We have chosen to live here and we are the ones that have to adapt to our new home.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone

Just read about coconuts bar and restaurant, thinking of booking for christmas dinner . Does anyone know if this will be a traditional dinner. my wife and I will be coming up on the 23rd from Chon Buri .

thanks evryone .

kevvy

I bumped into a new farang visiting the village last evening while walking the dogs. He married a local girl but they don’t live here full-time. He seemed very happy to be here, which is something you don’t always get in big tourist areas. Meeting happy people is a good thing in my book.smile.png

Thanks mate

Rang them going to be 2 seatings one at lunch and one at dinner. Kevin will put something on thai visa soon. Will have turkey and all the trimings. I know vf

Wont get excited about turkey as in the states it is cheap but in oz it quite expensive but i will get a double seving hehe come on christmas

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I guess this is the last year I will have the pleasure of going to the Christmas Concert at MariRuk School to see my neice and all the other children put on their best performance. Next year she goes to big school and they do not do that there.

Driving home from town around five o’clock, this time of year, the light is absolutely amazing. Driving to the East, shadows stretch out before one and colors are warm and radiant as the sun hangs low in the sky. Today’s drive home was a very good thing.smile.png

Driving home from town around five oclock, this time of year, the light is absolutely amazing. Driving to the East, shadows stretch out before one and colors are warm and radiant as the sun hangs low in the sky. Todays drive home was a very good thing.smile.png

I stayed at home today and actually did some work around the houses and my wife thought that was a "Good Thing" as its very rare.
  • Like 2

Driving home from town around five o’clock, this time of year, the light is absolutely amazing. Driving to the East, shadows stretch out before one and colors are warm and radiant as the sun hangs low in the sky. Today’s drive home was a very good thing.smile.png

its great to be alive and see simple things that make you happy.

• Like 1

We encountered something new last night. We suffered what now seems to have been a partial blackout. Typically when the lights go out, everything goes out, but not last night. A few lights went out but more importantly the master bedroom and the garage area, where the water pump is located, went dark.

First thought was that it must have been a fuse but couldn’t find anything wrong. We were making plans to bath in the garden with a hose and sleep in the guest bedroom, where the lights and A/C still worked, having given up on finding the problem before bed.

I was watching TV in another room, so don’t exactly know when the power came back, on but it did thankfully. Only thing I can think of, is that one of the phases on our three phase system got knocked out someplace and it took them a while before they got it up and working again.

Not being an engineer, I don’t know how that could happen but it is a good thing they got it working again and that nothing needed fixing on our end. I really hate cold showers and sleeping without the A/C, so having both restored before going to bed was a good thing.smile.png

You may have flourescent or low power lights. These need a minimum voltage to keep them glowing. TVs and many electronic items can operate on much lower voltages. Often the kind of power supply they use is the same for 240 and 110 volts as they can handle both and the electronics works on say 15 volts.

Of course one of your lines may have been down too.

Edited by harrry

When power went out in Perth you knew you may not have power back till the next day and if it was a bad storm maybe later. They have about 3 vans covering the whole city.

Here if the power goes off it is usually back within half an hour. I do not know how many they have but the first one to turn up is a guy on a motorcycle who seems to handle only our area. This is a very good thing about living here.

You may have flourescent or low power lights. These need a minimum voltage to keep them glowing. TVs and many electronic items can operate on much lower voltages. Often the kind of power supply they use is the same for 240 and 110 volts as they can handle both and the electronics works on say 15 volts.

Of course one of your lines may have been down too.

I was running the A/C, computer and TV in one room plus the two refrigerators in the kitchen were working. Only a few things use 3phase, so most things are spread over the individual lines. It was only afterwords that it crossed my mind that one single line could have gone down.

This sort of low voltage problem happens a lot where we live. The transformer fuse on one phase pops out with a very loud bang. If you are unlucky and it's the fuse on the phase you use then it's usually you pick up a bit of voltage through induction from other phases. Often the TV will work as it's dual voltage 220 and 110. Fans go slowly, normal light bulbs dim, energy savers not work at all.

This sort of low voltage problem happens a lot where we live. The transformer fuse on one phase pops out with a very loud bang. If you are unlucky and it's the fuse on the phase you use then it's usually you pick up a bit of voltage through induction from other phases. Often the TV will work as it's dual voltage 220 and 110. Fans go slowly, normal light bulbs dim, energy savers not work at all.

Learn something everyday.smile.png At least next time I won’t be so “phased” by part of the house suffering a blackout.thumbsup.gif

Good things? Yesterday my wife got me started doing a little job on the house exterior. I haven't got my tool kit stocked up yet and the job took much longer than it should. Plus it was in the sun. Once the job was done I was hot, dirty and tired. But then after a quick shower and a change of clothes I sat on the balcony with a cold drink and watched one of the most amazing sunsets I have seen. The colors were beautiful. The view made all the trials of the day vanish.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
Last night I made plans for a 60 km bike ride from town to home, and in spite of the rain, I decided to go for it this morning. We left a little after 7am and it rained all the way to town. In the car it also rained words of admonition about it being a very bad idea to ride my bike home from CRU, in this weather.

I smiled and countered with reassuring words that it would be a great ride, perhaps just not a perfect one. I assured her I would be home by noon, though I am not sure I believed that myself.

Well, I did get home shortly before noon and it didn’t rain on me at all. The roads were still wet at first so got a fair amount of road spray on me and the bike. Sweating and feeling chilly, at the same time, is a bit unusual in Thailand but a nice hot shower put things right again. A very good morning and now I am going to put my feet up for the remainder of the weekend.

I almost put this in the weather topic but decided it was better suited for this thread.

• Like 2

Well you can understand her concerns, you're not getting any younger. cool.png

While that may be true I will not let you rain on my parade, as I revel in the knowledge that on this particular occasion, she was wrong and I was right for once.biggrin.png

Edited by villagefarang