Good Things Topic.

villagefarang

Got stopped by cops on Mae Fah Luang Bridge. Felt like Obi Wan Kenobi when he said "These aren't the Droids your looking for"... Turns out the cop knows me. So when I asked him "do you need to check no anything?" He said "No, go along now..." Had a big smile on my face. ha ha...

• Like 1

After a lovely morning spent pond side watching my dog swimming with her fish, I decided to keep the good times rolling by going for a mountain bike ride. Unfortunately by the time we got our harry child clean enough to return indoors, it was nearly 2 o’clock.
This time of year, that is a little late to be starting out on a three hour ride but when I left there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. When I stopped to top up my bottle at 17 km, things were still good but starting to change.
Before long the sun was gone and my wife was calling to make sure I was being safe. I assured her I was moving away from the approaching storm and things still looked good where I was. There has been some hail recently along with strong winds so I understood her concern.
I picked up the pace but finally lost the race around the 35 km mark where the wind nearly knocked me off my bike. I probably could have made it a bit further but I knew I was about to enter open fields again very soon and there would be no shelter, so I pulled into a big sheltered storage area.
Before long the owner showed up, also getting out of the weather, and I apologized for encroaching on his space but he was very gracious, bringing out a couple of stools to sit on and some cold water to drink. We sat and talked while the rains came and went. We were speaking different regional dialects but I think we both found it interesting. The look on his face was priceless when he found out we were not the same age and I was a good ten years older than him.
It was a wet, dirty and chilly ride home from there as it was still raining a bit. Even with headwinds and sloppy conditions late in the ride, I still matched the 21.7 km/h pace of my ride a few days earlier. Not a bad day, all things considered.

I am not your child youngun....Cookie issmile.pngcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I went to MaeSai with an off duty police officer once and we got pulled up at one of the checkpoints.

We were very quickly waved through when he produced his ID and the mrs thought it was hilarious.

Was driving to Bangkok a few years ago at the time of the Red Shirt rallies....Stopped at a roadblock. Said I was going to Bangkok and was surprised with a full blown salute. It was only a little after we realised that the shirt I was wearing was, by accident, red.

• Like 1

After a lovely morning spent pond side watching my dog swimming with her fish, I decided to keep the good times rolling by going for a mountain bike ride. Unfortunately by the time we got our harry child clean enough to return indoors, it was nearly 2 o’clock.
This time of year, that is a little late to be starting out on a three hour ride but when I left there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. When I stopped to top up my bottle at 17 km, things were still good but starting to change.
Before long the sun was gone and my wife was calling to make sure I was being safe. I assured her I was moving away from the approaching storm and things still looked good where I was. There has been some hail recently along with strong winds so I understood her concern.
I picked up the pace but finally lost the race around the 35 km mark where the wind nearly knocked me off my bike. I probably could have made it a bit further but I knew I was about to enter open fields again very soon and there would be no shelter, so I pulled into a big sheltered storage area.
Before long the owner showed up, also getting out of the weather, and I apologized for encroaching on his space but he was very gracious, bringing out a couple of stools to sit on and some cold water to drink. We sat and talked while the rains came and went. We were speaking different regional dialects but I think we both found it interesting. The look on his face was priceless when he found out we were not the same age and I was a good ten years older than him.
It was a wet, dirty and chilly ride home from there as it was still raining a bit. Even with headwinds and sloppy conditions late in the ride, I still matched the 21.7 km/h pace of my ride a few days earlier. Not a bad day, all things considered.

I am not your child youngun....Cookie issmile.pngcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I was afraid you might call me on that one. I did spell it with two r's instead of three in an attempt to avoid confusion, however.tongue.png

Our puppies and our white dog found some die for cement last night so we have two redshirt and footed puppies and one redcoat dog. Not sure if that is a good thing or not but at least the puppies are going to a new home tomorrow morning with someone who obviously cares for them very much and that has to be a good thing.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today was hands-down the most beautiful day I've seen in months so you can guess where I was this afternoon. Sure I was sweating buckets in the midday sun as I peddled my mt. bike but I was soaking up enough beauty to compensate. A brief shower late in the day delayed our evening walk but when we finally took Cookie for her walk the sky was absolutely amazing. There were storm clouds off in two different directions and the shapes and colors were breathtaking. Sorry no pictures today but maybe that is a good thing in some people's minds.

• Like 1

Today was hands-down the most beautiful day I've seen in months so you can guess where I was this afternoon. Sure I was sweating buckets in the midday sun as I peddled my mt. bike but I was soaking up enough beauty to compensate. A brief shower late in the day delayed our evening walk but when we finally took Cookie for her walk the sky was absolutely amazing. There were storm clouds off in two different directions and the shapes and colors were breathtaking. Sorry no pictures today but maybe that is a good thing in some people's minds.

you are right

• 3 weeks later...
So I was out on my mt. bike the other day, which is a good thing in its own right. It was very hot, which is not such a good things, but as long as you keep moving fast enough it is not too bad.

On the way back from the waterfall, with my water running low, I stopped at a shop to top-up. Anyway, I helped myself to a couple of bottles from the fridge and had a seat. When I asked the owner how much I owed him a conversation ensued and when I asked about a picture on the wall, he offhandedly mentioned he was the Village Headman. It was just a normal conversation where one thing lead to another.

I find it gets a little tedious answering the same questions thousands of times, so it was really nice that none of those annoying questions came up and there was no comment about my being able to speak Thai. I find it a very good things when people can get past the whole Thai/Farang thing and just talk about normal stuff.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thai friends can be absolutely amazing and incredibly generous. Last night we stayed at 137 Pillars House in Chiang Mai, a surprise gift from a dear friend to celebrate my 60th birthday. She flew up from Bangkok today to spend the rest of the weekend with us. I'm a very lucky guy and I have great Thai friends. That is a very good thing.

Sent from my iPhone.

• Like 1

Insulting post removed.

Just this one time I will remind members of these forum rules. Next time I will apply the rules with a suspension.

7) Respect fellow members by posting in a civil manner: do not launch personal attacks, or be hateful or insulting towards other members, ie No flaming

8) Do not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities or to incite useless arguments by avoiding troll activity.

9) Do not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

• Like 1

Thai friends can be absolutely amazing and incredibly generous. Last night we stayed at 137 Pillars House in Chiang Mai, a surprise gift from a dear friend to celebrate my 60th birthday. She flew up from Bangkok today to spend the rest of the weekend with us. I'm a very lucky guy and I have great Thai friends. That is a very good thing.

Sent from my iPhone.

Very good news.

Great way to celebrate your 60th. May there be many more to celebrate with special surprises.

Sent from my iPhone.

Very good news.

Great way to celebrate your 60th. May there be many more to celebrate with special surprises.

Thanks for that Kev, it was for me the perfect way to celebrate 60. A romantic night with my wife in the most amazing hotel I have stayed in and then a night with our best friend at her home. There are just no words to describe how moved I was.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
In our search for an electrician to finish off a couple of recent projects around the house, we came across the usual cowboys who clearly weren’t up to the job. On the recommendation of a friend, we contacted a teacher at a local technical college.

He came by and we showed him what we wanted. He was very polite while taking copious measurements and notes. About a week later he emailed a very detailed quote with all materials itemized. It all looked good so we said, okay.

He could only work on the weekend, when my wife isn’t home, so I was tasked with supervising. He pulled up with three assistants and I watched as they unpacked their gear. Their level of organization was impressive. They brought everything they could possibly need, even down to their own food and water. It didn’t take long for me to realize, my best move was to simply get out of their way.

They worked constantly for two days and the only break they took was at lunch around 1 o’clock. They worked until well after six last night finishing up a couple of freebies they agreed to. It was one of the most enjoyable worker experiences I have had and definitely ranks as a “good thing” in my book.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
I love ThaiVisa. I posted something recently in the much maligned General Forum and was humbled by the response. In a matter of two days it accumulated over 7600 views, eight pages of comments and the opening post itself received 58 likes. One guy signed up just so he could comment and one CR member contributed no less than eight heart warming comments in an effort to make me feel at home.

ThaiVisa is a very good thing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well one of the Good Things I like is that I can associate with persons like VF with no preconceptions. Another Good Thing is that landing in Chiang Rai after traveling from the Middle East, puts a smile on my face every time. The Chiang Rai photos thread keeps me smiling & reminiscing when I'm away from my home. Cheers Garry :)

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Post removed

Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

• Like 1