Hi folks, hope everyone is well.

My friend has about 150 rai of land in E-sarn, won't be specific on the location as I dont want to break any forum/sponsorship rules, which is quite beautiful, many trees etc, but typically flat also. As far as I know it doesnt border anything that might affect price and is 'quite near' a 'city'.

The family want to sell it for about 3 million baht. I am pretty sure this is very (too) cheap. I was wondering if anyone out there had any good experience to share with regards to land prices today and also any advice I might pass on to help them make the most of their property before sale. I've heard of 100 rai going for alot more than 3 million.

Cheers in advance. :o

Hi folks, hope everyone is well.

My friend has about 150 rai of land in E-sarn, won't be specific on the location as I dont want to break any forum/sponsorship rules, which is quite beautiful, many trees etc, but typically flat also. As far as I know it doesnt border anything that might affect price and is 'quite near' a 'city'.

The family want to sell it for about 3 million baht. I am pretty sure this is very (too) cheap. I was wondering if anyone out there had any good experience to share with regards to land prices today and also any advice I might pass on to help them make the most of their property before sale. I've heard of 100 rai going for alot more than 3 million.

Cheers in advance. :o

Land in Thailand is a unique animal, farm land often sales for 20 to 30 K a ria. Lots in Udon have brought as much as 10 Million. Which is totaly absured, most of the land around Udon say within 10 Kms is up for sale around 300K a ria. A friend just bought 6 ria at 125 k a ria.

A farm area outside of Thai Bo, on a paved road with electricty 25K a ria.

So 20K a ria is not unusual, the thing to watch is there a useable road, is there electricity avialable and most important is there useable ground water, and I don't mean drinkable, can you use it in the house or is it salty water.

A lot of the prices have been inflated waiting for the ATM card holder to arrive and pay a lot more then it is worth. Thai in general are not in a hurry, but normally a good buy comes when there is a pressing need for money.

A city do you mean a city with farrang amenties, if so that seems a bit low. If you mean farm land outside a smaller Thia City, might be right in line with the proper pricing for the area. If you have an interest and the cash it would be worth some investigating.

Good Luck

Its the old story, Where is it, how far out of the city is it, does it border onto a road, if it's in the middle of know where it may sell for as little as 15 to 20,000 per rai, if it's 1 km out of the city with road frontage could sell for 500,000 per rai and above that, thats what land is fetching in Buriram, i also have about 100 rai, i have just paid 200,000 baht for 2 rai, and that is a bargain in my eyes, its 4Kms out of buriram with main road frontage,

You say your freind has 150 rai, if you go at 35,000 Baht a rai that is five and a quarter million, if he wants 3 million baht, sounds like a good deal, works out at 20,000 per rai, i would love to know where it is, if so i could try to advise you further, if it was close to Buriram i may be interested. e-mail me.

Edited by Thaicoon

From a Thai point of view....I'd say to the family "why do you want to sell it to me if we're all in the same family.... shouldn't we be looking for OTHER people's family land to be had for rock bottom prices?"

:o

..if land was mine, never I'll going to sell for just 20k/ria...minimum, but MINUMUM,double, for me...nevermind about locations...1600m2 for 400 euro...with 1 euro can have 4m2....too cheap.

40K a Ria would be a good price as well, maybe they need money quickly, who knows.

..if land was mine, never I'll going to sell for just 20k/ria...minimum, but MINUMUM,double, for me...nevermind about locations...1600m2 for 400 euro...with 1 euro can have 4m2....too cheap.

With quotes like that you'd be extremely popular in my wife's village. If you could change the word "sell" to "buy". People have been trying to sell me land for 10k per rai for years. Not interested! If it's not in close proximity to a city what's it good for?

You know I agree with your logic to some extent, if it is useable land in a reasoanble location. Where I lose your logic is that sounds if your trying to compare Thai value to the Euro, this is not Europe it is Thailand and the value should be set by the standards here, not another country.

The other place I lose your logic is worthless land is just that worthless and has no value

With quotes like that you'd be extremely popular in my wife's village. If you could change the word "sell" to "buy". People have been trying to sell me land for 10k per rai for years. Not interested! If it's not in close proximity to a city what's it good for?

...maybe would not be useful to you...but to own land in Thailand (upcountry) is always richness and more cheap you can buy, more chances you have to make a good investment for the future (maybe just ten years)...or maybe it's better let the money inside bank at 1% to year???

Isaan land prices are very variable mostly determined by location,and likely use.I am always being offered land as falangs are seen as having money to burn.

I recently was offered 90 rai well off the beaten track in a beautiful valley with a lake and stream for 800,000baht (under 9000b a rai)was sorely tempted for a while,but before I made up my mind, someone else snapped it up.Now being planted all over with rubber (real shame)

In the village, I enquired about I rai riverside and roadside and was amazed that they seriously wanted over 1 million baht! Sold to a used car firm in 3 months.

Farm land goes from 10k to 35k with top two crop rice land going up to 125k a rai

BUT most importantly it only goes for what someone is prepared to pay.

Nearly every price is negotiable I've been with Thai friends when they have bought land and it started off with them laughing out loud when they were told the price! 3 days and a lot of lao kaow later a deal was struck about 15% less than the asking price.

Edited by chaiyapoon

Isaan land prices are very variable mostly determined by location,and likely use.I am always being offered land as falangs are seen as having money to burn.

I recently was offered 90 rai well off the beaten track in a beautiful valley with a lake and stream for 800,000baht (under 9000b a rai)was sorely tempted for a while,but before I made up my mind, someone else snapped it up.Now being planted all over with rubber (real shame)

In the village, I enquired about I rai riverside and roadside and was amazed that they seriously wanted over 1 million baht! Sold to a used car firm in 3 months.

Farm land goes from 10k to 35k with top two crop rice land going up to 125k a rai

BUT most importantly it only goes for what someone is prepared to pay.

Nearly every price is negotiable I've been with Thai friends when they have bought land and it started off with them laughing out loud when they were told the price! 3 days and a lot of lao kaow later a deal was struck about 15% less than the asking price.

You're right Chaiyapoon...land's market is very "fluctuant" in Thailand...when someone is smart/lucky enough can surely get profit on it...

...maybe would not be useful to you...but to own land in Thailand (upcountry) is always richness and more cheap you can buy, more chances you have to make a good investment for the future (maybe just ten years)...or maybe it's better let the money inside bank at 1% to year???

Your absolutely correct, but since my goal is not an investment, but finding and building the place I will spend the balance of my life. I simply have to approach it differently then you.

• 2 weeks later...