It'S Only 10 Baht More

MrBrad

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your exemplary and deserving waiter gets the same portion of the tip box as the slackers.

Sadly that is the norm & not the exception.

( does not change my tipping habits as I know a fraction is still better than none )

Same hold true in may places the world over.

Also in the states where unions rule many jobs the same can be said for employees who have raises negotiated by time served & not performance.

My wife, who previously worked for a well know western restaurant in the old city and now works for a restaurant at a resort, confirms that 'pooling' tips is the policy at both locations.The cook also take a share. She also advises that, despite, sometimes, working very hard and giving excellent service to large parties - many westerners get up and leave no tip. Maybe they think that a service charge is already levied on the bill - maybe not.

Even though tips may be pooled - if I have good food and service - I still make a point of giving the tip to the person who 'gave' the service

Thais don't tip at street restaurants. Neither should we.

<snip> deplorable and based on thai-phobia suggestion as the majority of Thais are forced to make ends meet with an income of 200-250 dollars a month. i agree that Farangs having that princely sum available for total living expenses should not tip when eating at street restaurants.

At street stalls, Thais don't tip. ALL kinds of Thais eat at such places and they DO NOT TIP. It is not the local custom. If you want to be a deviant with your Thai-phobia schmegegge schtick, be my guest. This Thai-phobia thing you are directing only at me on various posts, I get what you are doing and I do not appreciate it.

Edited by Jingthing

<snip> deplorable and based on thai-phobia suggestion as the majority of Thais are forced to make ends meet with an income of 200-250 dollars a month. i agree that Farangs having that princely sum available for total living expenses should not tip when eating at street restaurants.

At street stalls, Thais don't tip. ALL kinds of Thais eat at such places and they DO NOT TIP. It is not the local custom. If you want to be a deviant with your Thai-phobia schmegegge schtick, be my guest. This Thai-phobia thing you are directing only at me on various posts, I get what you are doing and I do not appreciate it.

Naam - Take a look at any well known Thai food stall or stall eating area...Changpuak Gate for example. It can get really busy and you will see a variety of Thai's ranging from the scooter riders to the Benz drivers and they all have one thing in common....they all pay the same price and none of them tip.

I'm not saying whether people should or shouldn't, tipping is up to you, but at such places Thai's rich or poor definately do not tip.

-whether Thais tip or not was not questioned by me but i think a 10-Baht tip is appropriate when one is happy with the food.

-your Thai-phobia is well known from countless postings even though you try to present it as your reaction to the alleged xenophobia of Thais and the Thai government towards Farangs. i have not singled you out but voice my disgust when i feel like whether it's you or other TV-members. perhaps i should refrain from presenting (what i think are) valid arguments and post (as others do very often) "if you don't like Thailand then LEAVE!"

-i couldn't care less whether you appreciate my opinions or not.

Naam - Take a look at any well known Thai food stall or stall eating area...Changpuak Gate for example. It can get really busy and you will see a variety of Thai's ranging from the scooter riders to the Benz drivers and they all have one thing in common....they all pay the same price and none of them tip.

I'm not saying whether people should or shouldn't, tipping is up to you, but at such places Thai's rich or poor definitely do not tip.

I understand why some people want to tip in noodle stalls, but it can start to set a precedent where they will come to resent foreigners who don't. I have had a good income and a poor income here and it is nice to have cheap places where no one expects a tip when times are tough. I never tip in cheap street stalls, but always in proper farang-orientated restaurants with good service.

Edited by Ulysses G.

It seems to me that the Farangs who don't tip kind of pick and choose on the cultural traits to pick up. You do most things like a foreigner. But when it comes to tipping, you do it like a poor villager. After haggling the street meal down 10 baht and not tipping, you go to that burger place and pay 180 baht for a burger.

I don't think it's about the money, either - it's just a huge ego trip. Attempting to be more Thai than the tourists, or even other expats (congratulations!!) and a mortal fear of getting ripped off because you're a foreigner.

Attempting to be more Thai than the tourists ....... does that include white foreigners who refer to other white people as falang/farang?

What about black foreigners in Thailand, do you refer to them as Nigos?

I think you would still refer to black foreigners as Farang. Thais, especially up North do not have much exposure to coloured foreigners. You should warn any Thais never to address coloured foreigners as 'Khun'. saw this cause a terrible fight once.

This has got to be post of the month!! Laughed until I cried!!

On a more practical note. The issue of tipping will never be resolved to everyone's satisfaction. In my pub the tips are pooled and paid out weekly. The kitchen staff get an equal share. I take the view that you would not have tipped the waitress for service, however exemplary, if the food was no good. You might also be less than impressed if the toilets were dirty or the cutlery unclean. Running a pub/restaurant is a team effort and it seems to me that the pretty little thing who serves you is only a part of the overall experience that you tip for. Even if she is a major part of the enjoyment!

I understand why some people want to tip in noodle stalls, but it can start to set a precedent where they will come to resent foreigners who don't. I have had a good income and a poor income here and it is nice to have cheap places where no one expects a tip when times are tough. I never tip in cheap street stalls, but always in proper farang-orientated restaurants with good service.

I understand your point, Ulysses, and I agree (as I usually do with you). I seldom tip at the food stalls, but I do tip at the little Mom -n- Pop cafes where I regularly go. It's just my way of saying thank you. I sometimes go to the night stall on the inner moat road (Near Loi Kroh) where they serve a tasty plate of Pad Tai. There are always people sitting on the little plastic stools and eating off the portable tables set up on the sidewalk. It's not a cafe, and although I eat there regularly, I seldom tip unless I'm just rounding up the bill. I don't follow any set rules when tipping. But, if someone goes out of their way to help me then I help them in return.

Thai Airways are soooo cheap in this day and age and we as farangs should always TIP them before we disembark at Suwanna <_<

Internal domestic flights at say...Bt 1000 - 1500 and International obviously a bit more recon maybe.. Bt 15,000 to say Bt 20,000 would be nice.

After all we are guests in their country and whats a mere 20,000 bts to us rich boys.

Also while in country behave with respect and do the same every where....on the bus,song thao,tuk tuk,public toilets,Robinsons....everywhere and dont forget those charming people in those wonderfull Thai Banks coz without them we could not withdraw our easily earned money from those dinky little ATM machines that they have thoughtfully located absolutely every where.....so considerate....so wonderfull..such happy people ..indeed it trully is

"the land of the smiles"...init :D ...aaaaaaaaaa

I understand your point, Ulysses, and I agree (as I usually do with you). I seldom tip at the food stalls, but I do tip at the little Mom -n- Pop cafes where I regularly go. It's just my way of saying thank you. I sometimes go to the night stall on the inner moat road (Near Loi Kroh) where they serve a tasty plate of Pad Tai. There are always people sitting on the little plastic stools and eating off the portable tables set up on the sidewalk. It's not a cafe, and although I eat there regularly, I seldom tip unless I'm just rounding up the bill. I don't follow any set rules when tipping. But, if someone goes out of their way to help me then I help them in return.

perhaps i am just a stupid farang of german/swiss origin who's english is too poor to understand the discussed topic. would therefore any kind soul tell me whether the original poster meant a noodle stall or a restaurant? do noodle stalls or street vendors have a menu printed in thai and english?

quote: "Several times a week for the past couple of months I've been dining at the local market. The menu there is printed in both Thai and English. And I've always enjoyed a number of tasty dishes that the friendly cook had prepared. That's why I continued to return: good food, delightful cook, oh, and of course, the cost was always only 25 or 30 baht for most things, an occasional 40 baht for something nicer."

If it has a menu it would not be a food cart. In CM, there are lots of very basic, very cheap Thai restaurants in Chiang Mai that are in shophouses - usually with plastic stools, portable tables, a fan and not much paint on the walls. Those are what I would guess the OP is talking about.

If it has a menu it would not be a food cart. In CM, there are lots of very basic, very cheap Thai restaurants in Chiang Mai that are in shophouses - usually with plastic stools, portable tables, a fan and not much paint on the walls. Those are what I would guess the OP is talking about.

if this is the case is it inappropriate to tip 10 Baht if

quoting OP: "I've always enjoyed a number of tasty dishes that the friendly cook had prepared"

???

Just imagine,with the 10baht overcharge the noodle shop owner could have retired to the country in a few years time.Do you think the owners of these establishments are living the good life,I think not.You'd really get pissed off at places like Erawin Falls where

farangs have to pay 4x more than the Thai's.It seems a small price to pay if it's convenient and a bonus if the food is good.Think of it has being your good deed of the day.

if this is the case is it inappropriate to tip 10 Baht if

quoting OP: "I've always enjoyed a number of tasty dishes that the friendly cook had prepared"

???

That would be up to the customer.

yes, this tread is about Thai restaurants not a noodle stall. I tip at all Thai restaurants and if it is a bit more for my meal, okay. 25% more, outrageous if you are paying big money, but 25% amounting to 10 baht for a whole meal, give me a break. The thais I know that have the small restaurants are just making enough to keep the family going

Do you tip at restaurants which indicate they have already added a "service charge" (tip) in the price?

MSPain

yes, this tread is about Thai restaurants not a noodle stall. I tip at all Thai restaurants and if it is a bit more for my meal, okay. 25% more, outrageous if you are paying big money, but 25% amounting to 10 baht for a whole meal, give me a break. The thais I know that have the small restaurants are just making enough to keep the family going

i think need make rating in thaivisa

1-st category - "Here different price"

2-nd category - "Here quality - shit"

and every person can write review about cafe or restouran or anyshop

when i tourist they make higher price, but if i student, why they dont make for my discount?

I think that if a person is hungry for money - his face falls into the mud

Edited by crazyawm
  • Like 1

Just been to the Friday Thai farmers market.

My Thai wife always insits that I buy the limes, as I am always given an extra couple beyond the weight for free, and she and her Thai friends are not. This ia a clear reverse of this Thai / Farang pricing policy.

Iain

Practically every small business in Thailand is only making enough to keep the family going.

You advise us all to tip everyone 25 percent?

"25% amounting to 10 baht for a whole meal" which is

seems to be outrageous too for some needy persons who "vote with their feet" when they are overcharged by that huge amount of money.

:whistling:

p.s. to be fair, the OP did not talk about a voluntary tip but complained that he was charged a "farang or tourist premium" of 10 Baht.

perhaps i am just a stupid farang of german/swiss origin who's english is too poor to understand the discussed topic. would therefore any kind soul tell me whether the original poster meant a noodle stall or a restaurant? do noodle stalls or street vendors have a menu printed in thai and english?

quote: "Several times a week for the past couple of months I've been dining at the local market. The menu there is printed in both Thai and English. And I've always enjoyed a number of tasty dishes that the friendly cook had prepared. That's why I continued to return: good food, delightful cook, oh, and of course, the cost was always only 25 or 30 baht for most things, an occasional 40 baht for something nicer."

In order to demystify the locus delicti, it was one of the many food stalls inside Tanin Market, not a street vendor, and not a mom-and-pop restaurant. Oh, and the spirit of the thread was not meant to be about the 10 baht; it was about being white and being penalized for it.

Good comments though...fun reading. Thanks.

Perhaps the answer to the first question is yes.

Answer to the third is yes many of them do. Particuarly where they have potential farang customers.

So you dont tip the locals but prefer to tip in the places that might possibly be owned/run by farangs?? :blink:

I've noticed these "proper farang-orientated restaurants" will often charge 120 bht for a small bottle of beer...while the thai competitors settle for 80 bht per large bottle.

i know who i'd rather be tipping ;)

Quote Mr Brad's OP

"Well, yesterday after I ordered I got to browsing the menu and I noticed that one of the menus was in Thai only. Looking closer I saw that the dish I had ordered--chicken and cashews with rice--was only 30 baht. I had been paying 40, and was expecting to pay the same last evening. I picked up another menu, the one with English and Thai, and saw that, yes, the same dish was 33% higher".

"I immediately asked the cook what the difference was (other than 10 baht), and she said that the higher price menu was for tourists. Grrrr. I told her that I wanted to pay the Thai price, but she continued to say that I was a tourist. After a bit more conversation she relented and said that I could pay the lower price, but this time only".

Many people have said that he was charged 40 baht because he received a larger portion - this is speculation.

However, what I hear him saying is that there is dual pricing and he doesn't like it (which is his right).

The owner told him he pays 40 baht because he's a tourist - she apparantly continued to say it was because he was a tourist and apparently said nothing about getting a bigger portion than Thai's.

The food (and staff) will leave a bad taste in Mr Brad's mouth in future.

Find one of the hundreds of other excellent cheap places, that do not have dual pricing because you are a tourist.

So you dont tip the locals but prefer to tip in the places that might possibly be owned/run by farangs?? :blink:

I've noticed these "proper farang-orientated restaurants" will often charge 120 bht for a small bottle of beer...while the thai competitors settle for 80 bht per large bottle.

i know who i'd rather be tipping ;)

I prefer the Thai bars staffed by Thai female university students in their early 20s

A girl sits at the table with you and chats in Thai, beer is 50bht a large bottle.

Sometimes the girl gets a 20bht tip, sometimes they get 100bht

No dual pricing, no English menu ..... and no white men (apart from me and my pals), so the perfect drinking venue.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I agree there is no suggestion whatsoever that the OP was getting a larger size portion whatsoever. Double pricing usually does not involve receiving any more value for more money. Next ...

BTW, it is good value to pay some extra baht for a larger portion if you want more food. I do it often as the small standard Thai portion is not enough to satisfy me. Just ask for it.

Edited by Jingthing

I agree there is no suggestion whatsoever that the OP was getting a larger size portion whatsoever. Double pricing usually does not involve receiving any more value for more money. Next ...

BTW, it is good value to pay some extra baht for a larger portion if you want more food. I do it often as the small standard Thai portion is not enough to satisfy me. Just ask for it.

Just to keep this going a while longer, No, in order to maintain my svelte physique I'd never ask for a larger portion; it was always the same amount as that which was served to the local Thais. And it was/is always adequate to keep me going until breakfast...well, unless I'd spring for a Wall's Almond Magnum at 40 baht (!) which throws this whole thread out the window, except for the fact that 7-11 charges Thais 40 baht also. No double pricing there for those of us with long noses (as far as I know).

Yeah, well, there is a potential downside to eating too small a portion. More chance of splurging on something really bad for you like ice cream. The Thai pattern is not three meals a day, more like grazing. I think most westerners don't tend to graze as much and stick to the classical three meals a day plus maybe a snack or two. One dish I always up-size is pad krapao when served with rice. At casual places this is usually 10 or even 20 baht more (depending on the base price) but I remember one place doubled the price! I didn't complain because there wasn't a printed price but their version wasn't good enough to go there again anyway, small or large.

Edited by Jingthing