Hospital Room 6,000B Per Day - Samitivej

think_too_mut

My wife has been hospitalized for several (and several more) days at Samitivej Srinakarin.

Private room, 6,000B per day but she has to go and buy food. No meals.

Even no water: she has to pay and buy bottles.

Is that normal?

What would happen if she could not move or did not have someone to stand by her side?

No, it is not normal. Are you sure it is correct and that she is not without food and water for a medical reason? As I have never heard of a Thai hospital where the room charge did not include meals.

5-6,000 baht/ day is alas pretty much standard for the top end private hospitals for a fully private room...but that does of course include meals, drinking water, and other basic amenities. Semi-private will be considerably less and has the added advantage of the staff being in and out more often (2 rather than one patient to attend to)which IMO makes it a safer situation especially if there is not a family member in attendance with her.

Even in the budget-crunched government hospitals, meals come with the bed rate.

I think there is more to this story. either she is what we call "NPO" (nothing by mouth) for a medical reason, in which case going out to buy food or water is inadvisable, or it's a cover story for spending money, or they do provide meals but she doesn't like the food and is choosing to buy other (understandable given the quality of hospital food.

While I cannot imagine that meals don't come with the room, I can imagine her being NPO and this fact and the reason for it not having been properly explained to her, communication with patients not being a strong point of the Thai medical system.

No, it is not normal. Are you sure it is correct and that she is not without food and water for a medical reason? As I have never heard of a Thai hospital where the room charge did not include meals.

5-6,000 baht/ day is alas pretty much standard for the top end private hospitals for a fully private room...but that does of course include meals, drinking water, and other basic amenities. Semi-private will be considerably less and has the added advantage of the staff being in and out more often (2 rather than one patient to attend to)which IMO makes it a safer situation especially if there is not a family member in attendance with her.

Even in the budget-crunched government hospitals, meals come with the bed rate.

I think there is more to this story. either she is what we call "NPO" (nothing by mouth) for a medical reason, in which case going out to buy food or water is inadvisable, or it's a cover story for spending money, or they do provide meals but she doesn't like the food and is choosing to buy other (understandable given the quality of hospital food.

While I cannot imagine that meals don't come with the room, I can imagine her being NPO and this fact and the reason for it not having been properly explained to her, communication with patients not being a strong point of the Thai medical system.

It is a private room, it has patient's bed, sitting lounge for family, own toilet.

She is not under any diet for medical reasons, they watch her eating food brought from outside.

I just can't believe it, tomorrow I have a call with her doctor and will ask. So far, likely reason could be that she did not understand what they asked her on admittance, there could be a "no catering" option and she picked it and now thinks that's how it always is.

Also, how would they let people eat anything they like, that may interfere with the therapy, even go against it.

As you seem to be getting this information second hand you might want to check this page and perhaps contact Hospital directly as I am sure they have good English ability.

http://www.samitivej.info/srinakarin/roomrates_en.aspx?BranchID=2

Thanks for the link, I checked it, it does not make any mention of meals, not even for the most expensive room. Complementary tea/coffe (that she does not drink) once per day is all.

Unless the meals are so normal that it is not worth itemizing but now I doubt.

It also says "Excludes room service and nurse".

What a rip off even if meals are included.

I expect you are right that a meal option was not chosen on admittance. The normal private room is listed at under 3,000 baht so would expect the nursing and food might be extra. As they are planing on using this facility for foreign patients (near airport) expect they may have several menus available. A hospital has to be able to supply meals as many patients are on very restricted diets and it needs to be controlled.

I expect you are right that a meal option was not chosen on admittance. The normal private room is listed at under 3,000 baht so would expect the nursing and food might be extra. As they are planing on using this facility for foreign patients (near airport) expect they may have several menus available. A hospital has to be able to supply meals as many patients are on very restricted diets and it needs to be controlled.

Just off the phone with wife. Now I understand. No meals included come with any room but a menu with restaurant quality meals and several options (restricted meals, muslim, vegetarian) is available as room service, like in a hotel.

She would use it but not all the time (not sure how much it is, she thinks it was ~500B when several people came to visit her and she ordered meals for them). Most times the visitors would bring meals for her.

But the price is hefty indeed. Without insurance no way.

According to the website the standard rate for a private room is only 2,000 baht. With al lthe features you mentioned.

The "deluxe" version is 2,700, essentially same thing but with also a microwave and some free English language magazines.

"Super deluxe" is 4,000 with this extra 1,300 gaining an "easy chair" near the patient's bed (as opposed to ordinary chair) plus a "futon sofa" (already all the rooms have an extra bed for a relative)

6,500 is the "VIP" room with a separate libving room, balcony, granite kitchen counter etc etc...you get the picture.

in other words what you are paying is not what it costs at that hospital for a private room with its own bath. Its the cost a a top end VIP suite.

If it were me, I'd change to a standard room, insurance or not, as this is absurd... and you'd best make sure your insurance will really cover a "VIP" suite, most policies cover only a standard room.

The standard rooms are absolutely fine.

On admission the hospitals do try to promote the higher end rooms but patients can opt for standard and most do.

According to the website the standard rate for a private room is only 2,000 baht. With al lthe features you mentioned.

The "deluxe" version is 2,700, essentially same thing but with also a microwave and some free English language magazines.

"Super deluxe" is 4,000 with this extra 1,300 gaining an "easy chair" near the patient's bed (as opposed to ordinary chair) plus a "futon sofa" (already all the rooms have an extra bed for a relative)

6,500 is the "VIP" room with a separate libving room, balcony, granite kitchen counter etc etc...you get the picture.

in other words what you are paying is not what it costs at that hospital for a private room with its own bath. Its the cost a a top end VIP suite.

If it were me, I'd change to a standard room, insurance or not, as this is absurd... and you'd best make sure your insurance will really cover a "VIP" suite, most policies cover only a standard room.

The standard rooms are absolutely fine.

On admission the hospitals do try to promote the higher end rooms but patients can opt for standard and most do.

I agree. And not sure if my insurance would cover all that excess (Aetna Insurance, through corporate)or would default with reimbursements to what you are saying.

I just knew she was going to visit a doctor, sinusitis (now we know), and heard from her 10 hours later.

Well, she was in that level of service before I knew. Hospital staff, when they saw her insurance card, obviously wanted to sell their top rooms.

After ensuring she has her own credit card (Visa Gold) they were all smiles.

There is one type of room for 6,500B, that's where she is now.

The trouble is - she is not feeling any better. Perhaps, they could have done the same therapy in any room, not only in that expensive one.

I am just sharing with fellow TV members how it can go with top insurance coverage.

I suspect the 6,000 figure may include the nursing so room is likely not VIP. As I recall nursing/meals just about doubles the basic room rates.

According to the link that you had helpfully provided, it is not. Room and doctor (I assume). Nothing else, no nursing nor food (I assume).

You may well be right.

One thing that I can recall from 3 days ago - they took her insurance card and, she believes, they made some phone calls to Aetna Insurance (on the card, there is an 1-800 number for any country in the world, to check her entitlements) and, while in pain, she did not realize what was happening and that there was alleged sales gig rolling on.

Cost is cost, health is health, hardly anything like time for negotiations.

I am not trying to get out of this unfortunate situation cheaply, just sharing as I see it developing.

WOW... it's interesting to note... the room prices at Srinakarin are about half the price of the same level rooms at Samitivej Sukhumvit...where the range for room only runs from 4,000 to 15,000 per night...

I'll take the Presidential Suite, thank you... :)

WOW... it's interesting to note... the room prices at Srinakarin are about half the price of the same level rooms at Samitivej Sukhumvit...where the range for room only runs from 4,000 to 15,000 per night...

I think the 15,000baht a day would cover a semi-private room in the states.

I think the 15,000baht a day would cover a semi-private room in the states.

nearly 20 years ago i paid for a private room (nothing fancy) in Florida 700 dollars. 1½ years ago a "suite" in Germany, big room, nothing fancy and a tiny (6m²!) attached room with a second TV, 1,040 EURos (at that time ~50,000 Baht), meals à la carte for two persons included, nursing not included.

Just few minutes before BKK noon, she was discharged. I spoke to her doctor, she said staying in hospital any longer won't speed up her recovery and that at most critical time she was where she should have been. Now, medications and I will meet the doctor in 10 days from now.

Price: 4 days room and doctor and nursing and whatever...70,000baht.

And it was meant to be a 2 months holiday for her and our daughter while school in Japan is closed.

....Perhaps, they could have done the same therapy in any room, not only in that expensive one....

They could have rendered the same medical care in any room. Choice of room has no bearing on the care provided, it is purely a question of added luxuries at added price (and not at particularly good value for the money from what I can see)

BTW it is not only the top end for profits who try to push the pricier rooms. My sister was recently admitted to Bkk Christian for spinal surgery. At the admissions office we were immediately shown pictures of their most expensive room, in a book like those you see for hotels and travel agents. When I (who was paying the whole thing out of pocket) said no way, we want the standard room, next came a picture of the second most expensive room and so on for about 15 minutes before I finally convinced them that I was not going to pay for anything other than a standard semi-private room and (all smiles having vanished by n ow) that's what we got.

Just for comparison, if remember correctly, my shared room at Chula was about 140 baht a day. Had to pay an additional 50 baht or so surcharge for farang meals. :o

Wife having stayed in private room at Chula main building I can say the rates are considerably higher than that for private rooms and those with income (they base rates on income range of patient - discount provided). As I recall we were paying close to 2-3k 5 years ago all inclusive. Not expensive but a far cry from 140 baht.

Just for comparison, if  remember correctly, my shared room at Chula was about 140 baht a day.  Had to pay an additional 50 baht or so surcharge for farang meals. :o

Wife having stayed in private room at Chula main building I can say the rates are considerably higher than that for private rooms and those with income (they base rates on income range of patient - discount provided).  As I recall we were paying close to 2-3k 5 years ago all inclusive.  Not expensive but a far cry from 140 baht.

Private room at Chula in the pregnancy ward is 3200 baht as of last month. A night in the standard ward with about 24 beds and fan only is 400 baht.

These are room and board charges.

I guess 24 ward-mates (or 23 others to be precise) is what Wimpy meants by "shared" room...

I was just going to ask... was his Chula visit pre- or post WWI??? ;)

A night in the standard ward with about 24 beds and fan only is 400 baht.

Just for comparison, if remember correctly, my shared room at Chula was about 140 baht a day. Had to pay an additional 50 baht or so surcharge for farang meals. :o

I guess 24 ward-mates (or 23 others to be precise) is what Wimpy meants by "shared" room...

I was just going to ask... was his Chula visit pre- or post WWI??? ;)

A night in the standard ward with about 24 beds and fan only is 400 baht.

This was 4 years ago. Four persons to a room in the lymphoma / leukemia ward. No air. Was there 20 - 30 days a stretch. Excellent care though. I'm here today to prove it. There was no income test for the room rate.

Edited by wimpy

....Perhaps, they could have done the same therapy in any room, not only in that expensive one....

They could have rendered the same medical care in any room. Choice of room has no bearing on the care provided, it is purely a question of added luxuries at added price (and not at particularly good value for the money from what I can see)

Exactly.

What I have shared with TV members was about situations when their wife or partner has insurance and when in pain would accept anything just to get it fixed. There hospitals (although they might had explained the options) obviously try to maximize their income.

There was someone here who reported about hospital price, then no insurance, then hospital said - wait, this way, 10% of the original price for the same no-frills medical treatment. TVs and the Internet in a private room have nothing to do with the treatment as such.

Just few minutes before BKK noon, she was discharged. I spoke to her doctor, she said staying in hospital any longer won't speed up her recovery and that at most critical time she was where she should have been. Now, medications and I will meet the doctor in 10 days from now.

And it was meant to be a 2 months holiday for her and our daughter while school in Japan is closed.

I live in Japan and everybody has National Health Ins or private ins,thats a law.I go for a blood test and Dr consult every month and its less than 20$.Spent 7 days in brand new hosp with all services paid less than 600$.I was in a ward but I don"t have anyone to impress. If your wife is Japanese send her home not for the money but for her piece of mind.Thailand and Thai"s are 3rd world, to a Japanese.Plus she speaks Japanese and can communicate. The biggest fault with the Japanese Medial System,NOBODY speaks english.

I thought they were selling Thailand as a tourist Medical Haven.

Been to Bumrungrad and thought it was cheap.

She could have stayed in the Oriental with a private nurse for less.

I live in Japan and everybody has National Health Ins or private ins,thats a law.I go for a blood test and Dr consult every month and its less than 20$.Spent 7 days in brand new hosp with all services paid less than 600$.I was in a ward but I don"t have anyone to impress. If your wife is Japanese send her home not for the money but for her piece of mind.Thailand and Thai"s are 3rd world, to a Japanese.Plus she speaks Japanese and can communicate. The biggest fault with the Japanese Medial System,NOBODY speaks english.

Wife is Thai and we live in Japan. She went there to evade rainy season and see family. As a local employee in Japan I have everything Japanese have, health insurance included. There are doctors that speak English, hospitals try to assign them on visits.

As soon as I start speaking Japanese to them, they feel relaxed and speak up in English, mostly enough to get things done.

No way we will do anything serious in Thai hospitals. I wanted to do dental implants and now, that I had them done in Japan (no knife, no blood) I recall horrors I would had had to go through in that BDIC, and they don't do it themselves, send you to some other place.

Edited by think_too_mut

Might add I much suspect Aetna does not know they are paying for a "VIP" room at 3 times the normal room charge.

Most likelt the hospital called then and just quoted this as their room rate. To a foreign company it would seem OK.

and most likely the hospital does not even see anything wrong with doing this.

I have been in Thai and Japanese hospitals and I would prefer a top Thai private hospital in Bangkok over a Japanese hospital without a doubt.

The Japanese system is a social welfare system with rushed over worked doctors and long waits...

Both systems have good doctors but it is hard to be a good doctor when you are in a rush. And a welfare system produces a very good safety net but not the best health care.

I hope your wife gets better quickly.