Getting Married

shedend

Can anyone please clarify what the rules are for getting married in Thailand. I know you should have 400k in the bank but if I am on a B visa then once I am married does that mean I have to change to a O visa??????

Don't know about rules for getting married but I think LOVE would have to fit in somewhere in there... Sorry, just had to say it. As for the visa side of things, there are many threads on it, and no, you don't have to have 400k to get married, or change your visa once you do.

You obtain paper from your embassy, have it translated and registered at the MFA and register your marriage at a District Office as per below. There is no requirement for money in the bank or giving up any visa. At some point you may feel it better to have an O visa and extension on the basis of supporting a Thai wife and then you need job/money in the bank.

Marriage

Marriage Registration

Regulations

A couple must be of legal age (17 years) upon filing for marriage registration, otherwise permission must be granted by a court.

Permission from the parents is required for parties under legal age.

Both parties must not be registered as married to anyone else (Multiple marriage registration is prohibited).

The parties must not be direct blood relatives nor be sister or brother through either parent.

Adopting parents shall not be permitted to marry their own adopted child.

A widow or divorcee will be permitted to remarry not less than 310 days after the previous marriage has expired, unless

Has given birth to a child.

Remarrying the same person.

Not pregnant, as certified by doctor. (in case of early remarriage)

Approval to remarry from a court is obtained.

No service fee is required whatsoever.

Required Documents

Identification Cards of both parties.

The House Registration Certificates of both parties.

If an alien is registering to be married to a Thai citizen or another alien, he or she is required to submit following documents.

A copy of their passport.

A Letter of Certification, issued by an Embassy or Consulate or a Government Organization from their country, regarding the marital status of the person. The Letter must be translated, then certified by the relevant Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Procedures

Marriage registration can be filed at any District Office or Minor District Office nationwide regardless of the birthplace of the couple.

Once the marriage registration is completed, each party will be given a copy of the Marriage Registration Certificate as evidence.

If the marriage registration is filed at the District Office located in female's birthplace (where the name is registered on the House Registration Certificate), the title used with the forename and the last name of the female will be changed by the District Officer. The female is required to file for a new Identification Card within 60 days. A service fee of 10 baht is required. If the marriage is registered elsewhere, the female is required to contact the local District Office to change her name and last name, as well as filing for a new Identification Card.

If both parties are unable to file for marriage at any District Office of Minor District Office, the couple can submit a request to the Registrar to register their marriage at any location under the supervision of that District Office. The parties filing for marriage are required to provide transportation for the Registrar. A service fee of 200 baht is required.

Don't know about rules for getting married but I think LOVE would have to fit in somewhere in there... Sorry, just had to say it. As for the visa side of things, there are many threads on it, and no, you don't have to have 400k to get married, or change your visa once you do.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

I got married and didnt even realise i had :D We had gor to Brit embassy to get some papers ready to get married and then went to a agent by the embassy gave the papers to her and she said we would take them to the registry office, got there signed a few bits and pieces then she came back and said congratulations your married. I was like what the <deleted> just happened there :D:D:o

same as us daleyboy, only went to make an appointment!!!!!

How does it happen to us boo? :o still happily married after 4 years but it certainly came as a shock when the woman came out and said congratulations your now married :D

ah well, we were gona do it anyway, just didn't think it would happen that day, if I had know I would have worn something nicer than jeans & a T!!! :D

:o me too i was in shorts and tshirt, i also didnt know the embassy had sent a letter to the uk. I had asked my mum to collect my post while i was away, when i phoned she said there was a letter from the embassy and should she open it, i said yes, ohh dear big mistake. She said whats this you've got married and you didnt even tell me, she wasnt happy. I wanted to tell her face to face but wont get the chance now. She eventually got over though :D

Okay, we'll go over this again:

#1 - The first rule of Marriage Club is, you do not talk about sinsod.

#2 - The second rule of Marriage Club is, you DO NOT ask where the money went.

#3 - If someone says stop, goes limp, taps out, the marriage is over.

Marriages will go on AS LONG AS they have to.

:o

I got married and didnt even realise i had  We had gor to Brit embassy to get some papers ready to get married and then went to a agent by the embassy gave the papers to her and she said we would take them to the registry office, got there signed a few bits and pieces then she came back and said congratulations your married. I was like what the <deleted> just happened there   

Watch what you sign in future.

Do you own any land in Thailand?

Thanks for your help.

I got married and didnt even realise i had :D We had gor to Brit embassy to get some papers ready to get married and then went to a agent by the embassy gave the papers to her and she said we would take them to the registry office, got there signed a few bits and pieces then she came back and said congratulations your married. I was like what the <deleted> just happened there :D:D:o

Daleyboy. When you were doing that bailiff work I presume you could sympathise with those that said "I didn't know what I signed guv" :D

Can anyone please clarify what the rules are for getting married in Thailand. I know you should have 400k in the bank but if I am on a B visa then once I am married does that mean I have to change to a O visa??????

There are some advantages in getting married in your own country. If you are a US citizen (1) a prenuptial agreement where you have property (2) shorter wait for 'Green Card' (3) maintaining dual citizenship, for Thai wife, is easier. I don't know about other countries.

:D daleyboy, did you go to the Wifes village at a later date and do the full buddhist ceremony? It was an experience i will never forget

Mr BoJ

Thanks for your help.

I got married and didnt even realise i had :D We had gor to Brit embassy to get some papers ready to get married and then went to a agent by the embassy gave the papers to her and she said we would take them to the registry office, got there signed a few bits and pieces then she came back and said congratulations your married. I was like what the <deleted> just happened there :D:D:D

Daleyboy. When you were doing that bailiff work I presume you could sympathise with those that said "I didn't know what I signed guv" :D

I could indeed sympathise with them :o

Mr bojangles we did indeed go to the wifes village for the ceremony afterwards, what a great day it turned out to be :D

Thanks for your help.

I got married and didnt even realise i had :D We had gor to Brit embassy to get some papers ready to get married and then went to a agent by the embassy gave the papers to her and she said we would take them to the registry office, got there signed a few bits and pieces then she came back and said congratulations your married. I was like what the <deleted> just happened there :D:D:D

I knew I was getting married when we went to the Amphur Office.... :D

Lots of form filling etc. but when they asked us to exchange rings that confirmed that it was a "Wedding Ceremony"! :o !

Thanks for your help.

I knew I was getting married when we went to the Amphur Office.... :D

Lots of form filling etc. but when they asked us to exchange rings that confirmed that it was a "Wedding Ceremony"! :o !

Ahh we didnt do the exchangng rings bit, i just thought we were signing papers like getting a marriage licence so we could get married :D