I Am Sending My Car To Thailand Next Week... Just After Some Thai Customs Info.

Hello everyone,

About two years ago, i posted on here in regards to watching drifting in Thailand, well now.. I am actually sending my car there, i have plenty of friends who are taking care of me in thailand..

But just for my own safety, i want to learn more about thai customs, and the thai shipping yard.. on how safe it is .

I have my CARNET ( it's a car passport saying i will return the car to my country,) and that means i pay no TAX in the country im entering with the car ( Thailand )..

So it will be going to Bangkok on the 2nd of august, arriving the 17th-19th.

I want to know, will my friend on the other side be in charge of my car for thailand customs? or i can get my broker in thailand to take care of it?

What are the additional things i will need to be careful of at the thai shipping doc.. I don't know much.. except what my shipping company told me, etc.. which wasn't much about Thai customs.. mainly Australian customs

if anyone can help, that would be much appreciated.. I hope my car and the goods get there in one piece. It will be in a 20ft container.

Thank you very much

Alex

[reason for edit - email removed as per forum rules, please use PM]

if you know any great agents, or anything to get my car out of Thailand.. that would be much appreciated.. i would rather pay someone off the forum then a regular shipping company in thailand!

HI

You are very brave or??

Have you read all the tread about taking a car to Thailand, the custom will tell you how much to pay WHEN they see the car, even if you tell them you will export again

forgot to say, my friend have a car in BKK, well, the customs have it, been there for 6 months now and nobody know when/if he will get the car.

Edited by HDRIDER

Let's know how you get on! I considered it 8 years ago but was well and truly put off by the number of hoops I had jump through, costs involved and other problems perceived or real.

Edited by bdenner

I didn't think that Thailand allow 'carnet de passage'. Malaysia do though. I would have thought it would be easier driving it over the border.

Is this a competition car or an every day driver you are going to use here in Thailand?

I would NOT bring a car into thailand.

Hello,

The car will be used for "Exhibition"

Thailand is allowing Carnet system. Everything was checked by my govt first.

Please see :

http://www.customsclinic.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=144&Itemid=168〈=en

It's confirmed, that Thailand accept the A.T.A Carnet... I want to know, why your friends car was stuck for 6 months? Did he not understand the rules & regulations and or arrange it with someone un-experianced?

Someone must know what is going to happen on this Forum?

Thank you!

Alex

HI

You are very brave or??

Have you read all the tread about taking a car to Thailand, the custom will tell you how much to pay WHEN they see the car, even if you tell them you will export again

forgot to say, my friend have a car in BKK, well, the customs have it, been there for 6 months now and nobody know when/if he will get the car.

So far as i know, if he didn't paid the daily storage fees, he will not get it anymore. after 6 months it belongs to the custom. It will be auctioned.

HI

You are very brave or??

So far as i know, if he didn't paid the daily storage fees, he will not get it anymore. after 6 months it belongs to the custom. It will be auctioned.

That sound's correct. However, there must be something wrong there. It's either A. he didn't get a carnet

B. He didnt have a clean car enter the country.

C. he doesnt want to the pay the tax or shipping back to his country.

A govt won't just take the car right? As risky as "Thailand" sounds to the average person.. I am sure to have trust in there Government?

• Like 1

Ok so they except the 'carnet' for the exhibition use. But most countries except for tempory import of a vehicle for use within the country as well. Thailand does not. That was what i meant.

How much deposit have the Thai customs or your shipping company quoted?

How are you going to transport the vehicle when in Thailand?

How long is the car going to be in Thailand?

Edited by thaicbr

ATA Carnet is used for temporary imports for exhibitions, trade shows, concerts etc and CAN BE DONE IN THAILAND - its how music bands get their equipment in / out of Thailand import tax free!

BUT read 'temporary' failure to not re-export the goods out of Thailand will lead to problems!

Ok so they except the 'carnet' for the exhibition use. But most countries except for tempory import of a vehicle for use within the country as well. Thailand does not. That was what i meant.

How much deposit have the Thai customs or your shipping company quoted?

How are you going to transport the vehicle when in Thailand?

How long is the car going to be in Thailand?

OK.. Yes it will be for "Exhibition" use...

I have paid 50% of the total value of all the good's in the container.

Transport will be via Tow Truck ofcourse.

The Carnet is valid for upto 12 month's so the car must only be there for 12 months maximum, unless an extension is required - Which mean's i would have to apply, and get it extended for however long.

Why isn't Thailand Safe? I really want to know.

Thanks

Alex

Alex i don't think you will have a problem. You initial post made it look like you were going to drive the car on public roads in Thailand. In which case you would have had a problem. Have a good time at your Exhibitions.

Thanks, i actually recieved an email from a company who is willing to help me with Thai Customs and clearance... But any ANY , info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Alex, do you have a picture or website I can go to check your Drifter out? just curious to have a look :)

Edited by Garry

HI

You are very brave or??

That sound's correct. However, there must be something wrong there. It's either A. he didn't get a carnet

B. He didnt have a clean car enter the country.

C. he doesnt want to the pay the tax or shipping back to his country.

A govt won't just take the car right? As risky as "Thailand" sounds to the average person.. I am sure to have trust in there Government?

HI

Customs have not come up with how much they want yet, guys please read all the old tread about getting a car to Thailand, it’s not what the law say it what the customs say, let us know how it goes, and good luck i think you need it, have a look when customs have a auction some dam_n nice cars, if you want to bid for one

Thanks, i actually recieved an email from a company who is willing to help me with Thai Customs and clearance... But any ANY , info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

Why did you not say in the first post what is was all about, still lets hear about how it goes

indeed, Thailand acknowledges the ATA Carnet. It is, as other posters pointed out already, for exhibition and demonstration purpose ONLY. Wish you good luck explaining this to the customs when your car arrives.

We are a freight forwarder and would not touch such a shipment.

I think the OP's questions may be better answered after he describes the purpose for which his vehicle is being imported under ATA Carnet.

What exactly does he mean by "exhibition". From my dim, distant memory of working with HMC in Oz, exhibition was defined to mean static exhibition ie you bring it in, put it on a stand for the public at large to view, and then you re-export. You could not drive it around, or perform at "drifting" shows.

Noooooo, of course customs would never be so dishonest.......yeah right.

yr a brave man. But good luck all the same.

D

M

Edited by deadman

Alex ignore all the negative comments from the pessimists, its a trait of this board. People trying to be smartars*es but with no real clue and nothing useful to add.

You should have no problem, there was a big drift event I went to in BKK last year with cars from all over the world, including Mad Mikes 4 rotor RX-7, 30 or so cars all on temporary import.

Cheers and good luck, please post up a pic of your car and specs etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Alex, I suggest you get in contact with some folks who organize car exhibitions and regional races in Thailand to review the procedures they use to bring vehicles in. Go pay them a visit rather than sending off an email.

Thai customs is infamously mercurial when it comes to imports of autos for personal use- there are many stories (some on here) of cars sitting in storage until they are eventually abandoned. This is likely what some folks are thinking about here, but of course for exhibitions and regional races cars are brought to Thailand and re-exported all the time.