Making Friends

LaraC

Hello Chiang Mai folks :D

Have a question for you. How do you go about making friends here if you dont hang out in bars?

Im in my 30's and female, so its not as if i can really just hang around in bars on my own!

I would like to be able to make friends in a similar age range who are up for fun stuff like daytrips out somewhere (rafting, xcenter type stuff, going out to listen to bands, clubbing, cinema, hanging out).

Any thoughts? :huh:

Thanks!

Thank you Tywais!

Checking through those links now. Just hoping to find a similar age and interests group..if you know what i mean. I enjoy meeting people of all ages, but find that there seems to be a lot of older expats in CM than myself...that usually wouldnt be up for say..paintball or off-road driving. Hope that doesnt offend anyone!!

Edited by LaraC

Thanks Thakkar. Btw..just a side-note..its not just female friends im looking for. In the past before travelling ive always had more male friends than female. Maybe because i was a bit of a gamer and xtreme sports kinda person. :lol: Anyway..happy to make guy friends too!

Thanks Thakkar. Btw..just a side-note..its not just female friends im looking for. In the past before travelling ive always had more male friends than female. Maybe because i was a bit of a gamer and xtreme sports kinda person. :lol: Anyway..happy to make guy friends too!

If you like extreme sports ride a moped around CM blink.gif

Chiang Mai Ex-pat club? get serious...This poster wants people in their 30's. The Ex-pat has 30 year olds only if they bring thier children or grandchildren who are only visiting dear old dad...

First of all, this age range is very small in CM. Probably the only ones living here would be international teachers and that being said someone in their 30's probably would prefer bkk over cm for obvious reasons. The international teachers in CM have 10 to 15 years on average on their counterparts in bkk..

Hanging around some restaurants like blue diamond where backpackers go as they will be between 20 and 40 but only passing through...

Is CM the new florida or arizona?

CB

Hi Lara, check out Hash House Harriers on Google then if it interests you there's two Hashes that meet ever week here in Chiang Mai. The runs are on Saturday and Sunday. Our website will explain where to meet and more. On On!

If you like extreme sports ride a moped around CM blink.gif

Haha..i already do :D

Chiang Mai Ex-pat club? get serious...This poster wants people in their 30's. The Ex-pat has 30 year olds only if they bring thier children or grandchildren who are only visiting dear old dad...

First of all, this age range is very small in CM. Probably the only ones living here would be international teachers and that being said someone in their 30's probably would prefer bkk over cm for obvious reasons. The international teachers in CM have 10 to 15 years on average on their counterparts in bkk..

Hanging around some restaurants like blue diamond where backpackers go as they will be between 20 and 40 but only passing through...

Is CM the new florida or arizona?

CB

CM just suits me better. I like the mountains. The fact i can ride my bike around and out of the city. Bkk just seems too congested. Shame not more younger(ish) expats, theres a lot of adventure opportunities and fun stuff around.

---

Sojourner, i run several times a week..but in a gym :P Not sure im much of a hasher..im not into hard-core drinking :lol: (that was a joke btw!). But ill think over that one..so cheers.

Hi LaraC,

Extreme sports, you say? :) Are you into rock climbing at all? Check out Chiang Mai Rock Climbing Adventures (CMRCA) in old town. www.thailandclimbing.com You can find me, a single, 30-something female who lives in CM and is NOT a teacher ;) and many friends of mine, there on the bouldering wall almost any weeknight and some weekends too. Ages of locals range from 20s-40s, farang and Thai, male and female. We are a pretty tight community - in addition to climbing, we often do other outdoor activities together (yes, even paintball!), go out at night, have parties, you name it. I've lived here 8 months and found them to be extremely welcoming and inclusive to newcomers.

Feel free to PM me for more information, or if you'd like to know when I'm going to CMRCA next if you don't feel comfortable going there alone. Good luck!

• Like 1

You might wish to expand your age horizon to include 50 years olds. What I mean by that is there a 50 year old and there ARE 50 year olds. One group will be guys who look 70 with a hisptory of smoking and drinking and telling stories (find them on bar stools and around pool tables) how good they were in sports in the younger days and then there is the latter group who with boyish looks, non-drinkers and non-smokers who continue to bike, swim, play tennis, health club, etc ..

Two worlds apart...easy to find the first group but more difficult the latter...

CB

Hi

why not give Tuskers a try (forum sponsor)

Friday night 55bhat drink deal, or Tuesday nights quiz night.

plenty of teachery type folk maybe in your age range.

CM expats . . . . retired americans club!

D

Hi Lara, check out Hash House Harriers on Google then if it interests you there's two Hashes that meet ever week here in Chiang Mai. The runs are on Saturday and Sunday. Our website will explain where to meet and more. On On!

I was going to say the same thing. At least the HHH are a bit physically active which the expats group are not. And, that's no knock on the expats club. I never see anyone in my age bracket doing the things I do.

You might wish to expand your age horizon to include 50 years olds.

I'm surprised that Blinky Bill has not volunteered. he has not married anyone new for a while. :wub:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill would enjoy that comment.

Get a copy of CM Mail (most 7-11's) - they have a section of what's on which always includes club meets (and most are always looking for new members). Lots of us younger (and not teachery) types here - a recent poll showed quite a large 30 something percentage of expats here I believe. There are also cycling tours (one day plus) you can book to ride off-piste (as it were) up one of the local mountains - varying degreeds of extreamness from joyfull to downright suicidal - bound to meet some like minded poeple (even though many will be tourists)

Expats Club ?! THAT'S funny! Otherwise, I have seen some nice 20-30-something or others hanging out at Tuskers from time to time. What's the other place, perhaps a tad looser, New Irish UN Pub? Something like that. Now, in backpacker season, 20-30 whatevers seem all over the place, but some of the resident crew might be in Europe or North America for the "summer!"

Actually, David, the Tuesday night quiz is at The Olde Bell on Loi Kroh Rd - 8.30pm first question and solos, male or female are more than welcome. Many Chiang Mai pubs are female friendly. We'd certainly make you welcome here at The Bell. As for the silly ageist comments about the ex-pats club, take no notice, there are plenty of members in their 30's and 40's and whilst it does tend to have a proponderance of Americans, all nationalities are welcome.

Im in my 30's and female, so its not as if i can really just hang around in bars on my own!

Huh.. Why not? :blink: Pick some good bars.. Go hang out.. Zoe in Yellow, Del Sol, etc.

It's not that hard.

Those are new ones to me, where are they?

I'm surprised that Blinky Bill has not volunteered. he has not married anyone new for a while. :wub:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill would enjoy that comment.

Absolutely, Ian. I'm considering a change of tactics however, maybe revert to the non-asian. I've even got someone in mind, an American, apart from a few chats we haven't met yet. My mind needs a little exercise.

Huh.. Why not? :blink: Pick some good bars.. Go hang out.. Zoe in Yellow, Del Sol, etc.

It's not that hard.

Those are new ones to me, where are they?

At Kad Boon Yu, the 'reggae' area at the corner of Ratwithee and Ratchapakinai Roads.

• Like 1

Remember he is slowing down...can't run fast enough any more to hit them with that club of his.

Edited by harrry

Remember he is slowing down...can't run fast enough any more to hit them with that club of his.

harrry, they used to line up for a belting with that club. :rolleyes: