Making Friends

LaraC

You might wish to expand your age horizon to include 50 years olds.

I'm surprised that Blinky Bill has not volunteered. he has not married anyone new for a while. :wub:

Remember he is slowing down...can't run fast enough any more to hit them with that club of his.

harrry, they used to line up for a belting with that club. :rolleyes:

Well that has certainly brightened up my day.:lol:

Im in my 30's and female, so its not as if i can really just hang around in bars on my own!

Huh.. Why not? :blink: Pick some good bars.. Go hang out.. Zoe in Yellow, Del Sol, etc.

It's not that hard.

Hi Winnie,

Often single women (myself included) don't feel comfortable going to bars on our own. Sometimes men see women sitting at bars alone and think we are there to "hook up" or something like that, which may not be the case. Also, women alone can be prey for someone with less-than-good intentions (drugging drinks and stealing purses comes to mind). Often, we just feel safer having a male or female friend by our side so we can "watch each other's backs." That is (I assume) what the OP is getting at with her comment.

• Like 1

Im in my 30's and female, so its not as if i can really just hang around in bars on my own!

Huh.. Why not? :blink: Pick some good bars.. Go hang out.. Zoe in Yellow, Del Sol, etc.

It's not that hard.

Hi Winnie,

Often single women (myself included) don't feel comfortable going to bars on our own. Sometimes men see women sitting at bars alone and think we are there to "hook up" or something like that, which may not be the case.

Wait, what? :) As per her topic, she's looking to 'make friends'.. But then it's an issue if someone says 'hello' in a bar? :)

Also, women alone can be prey for someone with less-than-good intentions (drugging drinks and stealing purses comes to mind). Often, we just feel safer having a male or female friend by our side so we can "watch each other's backs." That is (I assume) what the OP is getting at with her comment.

I see.. in that case best visit Facebook first, make some female friends, THEN go to bars.

Though to be honest, drugging two girls is not that much harder than drugging one. Get two for pretty much the same effort. :P

• Like 1

It's not that hard.

Those are new ones to me, where are they?

At Kad Boon Yu, the 'reggae' area at the corner of Ratwithee and Ratchapakinai Roads.

The backpacker bar area? Heaven's Beach, the Reggae Bar, and other places with dueling sound systems? It always struck me as a young, hard-drinking, loud collection of bars. I'm not sure that's what the OP was looking for, though I could be wrong.

The backpacker bar area? Heaven's Beach, the Reggae Bar, and other places with dueling sound systems? It always struck me as a young, hard-drinking, loud collection of bars. I'm not sure that's what the OP was looking for, though I could be wrong.

I think the sound is fine.. Definitely better than some of the more traditional 'bar beer' type setups when it comes to sound (and general ambiance). And you can drink as hard or as softly as you like.

• Like 1

There are many establishments that are more like friendly meeting places than pickup bars. Mad Dog is one, Hash House Harriers (near the Mad dog) is another, So is Tuskers. And then there are all the places in the center of the city that double up as cafe, bar, back packer hotels. If you visit any one place more than a few times you get to know the managment and they will line you up with other people of similar interests. It doesn't take very long. It's not like bars in North America where you could visit the same place every night for a year and nobody would ever say hello to you.

I seldom go to bars but have found that here in Chiang Mai it is incredibly easy to make new friends through doing activities, through friends, and even randomly on the street. I've been here four months and already seem to know dozens of people, more than I can even keep up with at times.

LaraC if you PM me your details I'll be happy to invite you along to social gatherings in the coming weeks so you can meet various young expats - some in their 20s, some in their 30s, and a few who are older still :)

There are many establishments that are more like friendly meeting places than pickup bars. Mad Dog is one, Hash House Harriers (near the Mad dog) is another, So is Tuskers.

friendly meeting places retirement homes, you mean? :rolleyes:

:lol:

I'd like to comment, but right now I'm searching for my walker I have to walk ever since the authorities took away my driver's license.. And I can't find my glasses after putting them on the bedside table next to my dentures. Maybe I left them in the bathroom while having my morning enema. I need my glasses to see all that hair that keeps growing in my nose and on my ears. I hate poking myself with the sharp sissors when trying to trim the excess hair.