The Term "Farang"

JPPR2

The important part of the wiki entry is "There is no negative implication in the word itself. However when it is used along with other words, it can bring a negative meaning depending on the context".

Who is using it and in what context decides if it is an insult or not. That can be a hard concept for some English speaking westerners to grasp, as English does not place such an emphasis on context, words are words.

TH

Edited by thaihome

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The important part of the wiki entry is "There is no negative implication in the word itself. However when it is used along with other words, it can bring a negative meaning depending on the context".

Who is using it and in what context decides if it is an insult or not. That can be a hard concept for some English speaking westerners to grasp, as English does not place such an emphasis on context, words are words.

TH

Q: Who ordered the fried rice?

A: That Farang over there

NOT derogatory.

A: That ugly motherFcuking low life dirty pig of a Farang sex tourist over there.

Derogatory.

Next... (with apologies to JT)

As for context, I don't know that Thai is that different from English or other languages. Context matters in most cases. Sure there are stand-alone words in English, like the "N" word that can be deemed derogatory. I'm sure there are such words in Thai. But even the "N" word, depending on who's saying it, in what company and what context, is not automatically derogatory.

Farang was probably never meant to be derogatory but due to the behavior of a great majority of Caucasians it is now just that

Sounds like a convoluted PC delusion, made up by those that suffer from Western guilt. It is not derogatory and never was. It means white foreigner. :rolleyes:

Noble Savage Syndrome?

Why did Americans stop using the word Oriental? Because many Asian people didn't like it, found it ignorant sounding and rude. Now only really backwards Americans use that word. The fact remains farang is an impolite word and there are more polite ways of saying white skinned westerner already in the Thai language. Hiso Thais will not call westerners farang to their face because they want to be polite. I don't like the word especially when used in front of me, such as overhearing that order is for the farang. I accept it is pervasive and probably won't go away, but that doesn't mean we can't realize impoliteness (and worse) when it's wagged in our face.

We don't call asians orientals because that word is just old. If someone was called oriental they would just think "hmm never been called that before well whatever" Asians are called asians. So in thailand they call whites FARANGS. What the hel_l is the big deal? Even if your a thai/lao in the states they refer to other white people as "FARANGS" It's not different then referring to someone as Caucasian when they are white. What the hel_l else are they suppose to call, if not farang?

Reason farang has a derogatory term is because so many farangs are giving a bad reputation to that name, you guys do it to yourselves. It's like the laos people in the states will say they are Thai, because saying their Laos is has a different meaning to it. They are just labels, not slurs, and the people themselves determine what kind of connotations the word will bring.

Not to worry, it will be all white on the night.

In my country I am a honky or a whitey. In Thailand I am a farang or stinking farang to the Thais and other farangs that don`t like me.

But actually I feel honoured, because in my country it is not appropriate to declare myself as white. Thailand is probably one of the last places I can call myself a white man, looked upon as a white by others whether I like it or not because that`s what I am, be proud and not considered a racist.

Edited by Beetlejuice

You sound so sure .... but it could be from the Arabic word 'Frang' which is from Franks which is related to French?

That tends to be the more accepted etymology history of the term....though, there are studious distractions that might suggest that the modern word 'Farang' is more loosely bastardized from a Persian linguistic form. Nonetheless, it's been quite agreed upon that the descriptive word is of Semitic origin - integrated or borrowed.

Beetle Juice, I searched the forum before I asked my question as I did not want to waste peoples time and that thread was about pronunciation and not the definition.

473Geo: As derogatory as I am comfortable going "Farangs" are viewed as "Low life dirty pigs that exploit Thai women and/or people". A few even stated being called a "Farang" it is like being called "N" word in the US, or "S" word in Mexico etc. The word sounds insulting just as it is said so their definition or comments were not surprising to me at all. Again I only ask this question as it seems people routinely call themselves this and rather than be ignorant about it and assume it is OK I thought I'd ask. I checked Wikipedia prior to my post and this is what it stated;

Farang (faraŋ or falaŋ Thai: ฝรั่ง) is the generic Thai word for a Westerner. A general term for foreigners is "khon tahng prateht (Thai: คนต่างประเทศ)" ('people from other countries'). There is no negative implication in the word itself. However when it is used along with other words, it can bring a negative meaning depending on the context. For instance, "farang keenok (Thai:ฝรั่งขี้นก)" could mean a Westerner who is not trustworthy or reliable. The expression farang ta nam khao (11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png listen (help·info); Thai: ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว literally means "farang with a rice-milk-colored iris"). It is common in Thai to just say "farang" to point out the presence of one, without making a whole sentence. People of African descent from the Western hemisphere have been occasionally referred to as farang dam Thai: ฝรั่งดำ (black farang).[1] Although, Thai people who have not been in Westerner countries nor exposed to their cultures may still refer to all African descents as Negro (Thai: นิโกร) without negative meanings.

Now I can believe that over the years this term started out as generic as mentioned but has sense been narroed to have a specific reference. Its like a African/American calling them self the "N" word or a Caucasian calling them self "Whitey or Honkey" it can depict of a level of ignorance.

As for me personally , I will not use it as I have no need. I was simply curious.

How can you say that it has no negative implications? It is purely a racial term referring to people of a particular skin color. Do you also think the "N" word has no negative implications? Please explain to me how these two words are different. Many have tried but I remain unconvinced. Just because it is used with such regularity does not make it acceptable. Remember that the "N" word was once used as regularly and in some places in the US still is.

we call them thai,s thay call us farangs so what ? just pressed my wife on the subject and she told me that there was nothing derogatory meant by the word "farang"

Wow, you are quite a genius. Thai refers to a country, if you didn't know it is a country called Thai-land. Perhaps you come from a country called Farangland, if so I have never heard of it. Try to get your head around this scenario, whatever country you are from I'm sure there are black people, now imagine that they refer to you as "white boy" even to your face. Now do you think it is the same thing as being called Thai? I feel sorry for those who so easily fall into faulty Thai logic.

The word farang originates from Hindi (Indian). The Hindi word is "firangi" which refers to the British who occupied India for 200 years. Again the word "firangi" comes from persian. "Fir" meaning different and "rangi" means color(ed). So it has no negative connotations except in India.

The word farang originates from Hindi (Indian). The Hindi word is "firangi" which refers to the British who occupied India for 200 years. Again the word "firangi" comes from persian. "Fir" meaning different and "rangi" means color(ed). So it has no negative connotations except in India.

I understand that some consider the term derogatory. But if most caucasians don't consider it so, aren't bothered by it, answer to it and use it themselves then the word really has no insulting power. It is effectively neutered.

Not again. God help us all ...

Good lord JT, you're hardly one to talk. You had your run with this topic. Now it's somebody else's turn. :lol:

Are you suggesting I am a hypocrite? Fair enough, no shame in being in the same boat as Mother Theresa.

Fundamentally I have issues with Thakkar's logic

A: That Farang over there (Why would someone not say "That person over there ordered the fried rice" saying the "Farang" did is derogatory and racist IMHO)

NOT derogatory.

A: That ugly motherFcuking low life dirty pig of a Farang sex tourist over there.( That is down right stupid anyway you put it)

Derogatory.

My point in starting this thread was the views of the people. I do not use the word and at the risk of being viewed as arrogant do not find myself to be a "Farang". Please bear in mind I do not find myself to be Caucasian, Whitey, Honky or whatever other name has been tagged. I am just a person like everyone else. I do not need any category name attached to identify me. I just found it quite interesting reading multiple threads in this forum that term "Farang" was tossed around with no real understanding of how this word is viewed by Thai and the people who believe they are a "Farang". Furthermore upon asking I was told it is really a racial slur to a great degree and has negative connotations attached to it.

In the end call yourself what you will but keep in mind that by calling yourself that you are labeling yourself and a large pool of people are smirking that you admit it without understanding what the meaning may mean now.

Carry on...........

Edited by JPPR2

I don't think non-Thais should use the word. Period. That is not the same thing as accepting that Thais are going to use it. Acceptance does not have to mean endorsement. Thailand is a xenophobic country. It doesn't even pretend to embrace multiculturalism. We aren't in the position of Asian Americans who through their disgust effectively stopped the use the Oriental word, and much worse. So yes it's a take it or leave it situation here, but again, we don't have to become Thai-ier than Thai (because you aren't fooling anyone, you can't melt in here) and endorse an impolite word, often a racist word.

Edited by Jingthing

OK, here we go: Before 1952 the French were for many decades THE Colonial Power in SE-Asia. VIETNAM, LAOS, CAMBODIA were French Colonies! A Frenchman in the french language is called "un FRANCAIS" = speak Franseeehhh. The asian natives "slanget" it into Farangseeeehhhh at first. Over time, the ......seeeehhhh at the end was omitted (for simplicity's sake). What was left was "Farang", or "FaLang", since asians routinely replace the "R" with an "L".

After this "French-Colonial-Period", all caucasians remained "FALANGS", up to this very day.

Is it derogatory? Possibly. Since a Thai is for an other Thai always a "Khun" (= a person, in the sense of an other human beiing), us Falangs are never adressed as "Khun Falang", right?. This would therefore indicate, that we do not really qualify as "human beiings".

Still, this statement sould not rob any Falang of a good nights sleep. Because we all know by now that the average Farang walking around in Pattaya has his appeal mainly thanks to the fact, that he can function as a "Walking ATM-Machine". (So nevermind Khun or not Khun, right?).

At least all of us know now, where the term "Falang" comes from. All other efforts to analyse and explain where the term Falang comes from, are incorrect.

Cheers, my dear "Khun Falangs".

The French didn't colonize Thailand. The French didn't colonize Burma. The French didn't colonize Malaysia. The French didn't colonize Ethiopia, where foreigners are called ferengi. So what if the word for French SOUNDS a little bit like the word farang; to westerners with no sense of tone the word for horse sounds exactly the same as the word for dog. It's supposed to prove something, the similarity of the French nationality word and Farang? No, it means nothing.

Edited by Jingthing

OK, here we go: Before 1952 the French were for many decades THE Colonial Power in SE-Asia. VIETNAM, LAOS, CAMBODIA were French Colonies! A Frenchman in the french language is called "un FRANCAIS" = speak Franseeehhh. The asian natives "slanget" it into Farangseeeehhhh at first. Over time, the ......seeeehhhh at the end was omitted (for simplicity's sake). What was left was "Farang", or "FaLang", since asians routinely replace the "R" with an "L".

After this "French-Colonial-Period", all caucasians remained "FALANGS", up to this very day.

Is it derogatory? Possibly. Since a Thai is for an other Thai always a "Khun" (= a person, in the sense of an other human beiing), us Falangs are never adressed as "Khun Falang", right?. This would therefore indicate, that we do not really qualify as "human beiings".

Still, this statement sould not rob any Falang of a good nights sleep. Because we all know by now that the average Farang walking around in Pattaya has his appeal mainly thanks to the fact, that he can function as a "Walking ATM-Machine". (So nevermind Khun or not Khun, right?).

At least all of us know now, where the term "Falang" comes from. All other efforts to analyse and explain where the term Falang comes from, are incorrect.

Cheers, my dear "Khun Falangs".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The King of Thailand went to Europe in the 1800s, He came to see Queen Victoria to ask if England would stop France trying to colonise Thailand, He also went to Germany , and Russia , They all said that France could not colonise Thailand , so they kept Vietnam and left Thailand alone, Falang is just a Thai racist word for foreigner.

Edited by Thongkorn

The French didn't colonize Thailand. The French didn't colonize Burma. The French didn't colonize Malaysia. The French didn't colonize Ethiopia, where foreigners are called ferengi. So what if the word for French SOUNDS a little bit like the word farang; to westerners with no sense of tone the word for horse sounds exactly the same as the word for dog. It's supposed to prove something, the similarity of the French nationality word and Farang? No, it means nothing.

No, the French diden't colonize Thailand. But if you ever had a GF from the Isaan, you may have found out that she understands "Khmer" ( = the language of Cambodia) quite well ! Still to this very day. A lot of Thai-Families in the Isaaan have their roots in Cambodia or Laos. Therefore, when the "Khmer-Relatives" in Cambodia referred to foreigners generally as "Farangs", their Thai-Relatives in the Isaan readily took over the general desciption of a foreigner.

No, the French diden't colonise Malaysia or Burma eighter. Great Britain did! Long before the french entered the "colonisation-scene" in SE-Asia.

About Ethiopia I simply don't know. But probably not lanuage related at all. In their OWN language it could well mean something like: "Man with fair skin and blue eyes and smelly armpits".

I remain uncorrected: There is just too much evidence that points toward the theory of the "French-Age" in SE-Asia and it's linguistic implications.

But after all, does it rally matter? If I (as a Falang), have to answer the standart question: "where do you come from", I usually reply that I come from the Moon but have relatives in Laos! After this statement, I am being considered a "BaBa-BoBo Farang" with the benefit of being left alone (as long as I wish to be left alone.) Get it ?

Cheers.

The Portuguese were quite active in Siam in the 1500's. So what were these white people called back then?

So were Arabs and Persians {active in the region}.....long before your Portuguese.:jap:

The 'N' word is only used in a derogatory sense. It was developed as an insult and still is. The term <deleted> (or Western Oriental Gentleman) was used as a term of respect once, but is now derogatory, and now used only as such. Farang is simply the Thai term for caucasian (which is still used though some believe it is not). Personally I believe language is just noises, and its the sentiment that matters. There is no way to use the N word and not be offensive, but farang does not have the in-built sentiment behind it - it is just us with either our post slavery guilt or post slavery hang ups (depending which side of the fence you fall) that equates them.

Though I can not believe that in 3 years here, any caucasian managed to go without being called, or more likely, referred to as farang. I find it a continual practise here and hear it constantly.

It doesn't bother me in so far as being racist (as I don't believe its meant as such, so isn't), but it certainly does little to build bridges and make us living here feel included. I also don't have an issue with orient, and even use it sometimes (though I am using it to intimate the geographical area rather than a group of races).

PS:No one knows where farang really came from, and the 3 or so popular explainations can be argued until the cows ome home.

The Portuguese were quite active in Siam in the 1500's. So what were these white people called back then?

So were Arabs and Persians {active in the region}.....long before your Portuguese.:jap:

Right. Technically both Caucasian groups of people. Lots happening with light skinned people for a long, long time here.

Edited by Jingthing

Context context context IMHO

Farangs use the word differently as do the Thais.

A general reference to caucasians is normally spoken as "farang"

eg. farangs do not eat spicy food.... no harm meant

A reference to something bad or you dislike about another "farang" is said with a different intonation a snarl of the lip or head movement etc...

eg. farangs are drunk skin flints... yes a derogatory use of it.

IMHO this is the same usage as the Thais...its all about context...

You really need to see the whole picture and understand the surrounding words in the sentence using "farang" to understand if its being used derogatory or not.