The Term "Farang"

JPPR2

My experience is the same as Berkshire .... it's just a term for e Caucasian person .... and there seem to be sub-divisions - 'Farang-sed' is French. As is mentioned above, I also heard that Farang was originally derived from the word 'French'?

I've also heard 'Yee-pun' for Japanese .... and 'Kon Thai' for Thai people used in the same sentence with no values being placed on any word.

These words are simple descriptions in a culture with less political correctness than we're used to in the West. In the UK it's quite funny to hear people stumbling over trying to find the right word to describe someone who does not happen to have white skin.

Also - what's with the 'hear we go again' comments .... this is a forum for discussion .... could you imagine walking into your local to meet your mates and saying 'what about that match last night' and they all groan and say 'we discussed footy last week, can't you use the search function??'

The term "farang" may not usually be used as a derogatory term but it nevertheless underlines a general lack of understanding or at least an assumption that Western foreigners are "of a type" - in the long run this sort of language usually falls out of favor.

Take the "N" word in English no-one would use that now in general conversation except certain parts of Afro-American community. aborigine and Red Indian were not considered derogatory by many of the original users but they are now considered unexceptable by many largely because of the thinking behind the usage of the word.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, UG, I'm not always right, nobody is. But I am right about this Frenchie thing. The Arabic origin of the farang word (found in many countries including Ethiopia) predates the French in SE Asia.

But carry on believing it. BTW, at what age did you stop believing the tooth fairy?

Persian, not Arabic.

Didn't the Arabic predate the Persian? Yes I know Persians are not Arabs, but there is a lot of cross-fertilization in that region. In any event, not related to French colonization of S.E. Asia.

I came into this discussion with the opinion that the word is not derogatory. In the vast majority of situations I've witnessed it's use, I never got the sense that that there was any derogatory intent or derogatory feeling attached. My "sense of it" has weight because, growing up outside my country of birth and traveling widely, I've faced racism all my life and developed a pretty keen sense.

Still, reading this discussion has convinced me that many (for this purpose, I'm assuming TV posters are a representative sampling because, on this issue I'd like to err on the side of caution) on the receiving end are offended or mildly disturbed (dissed?) by the term. In that case, the proper thing for me to do is to avoid using it.

It's also occurred to me that if I continually use a catchall phrase to refer to a hugely diverse population coming from dozens of different countries, cultures, languages and mores, I risk constraining my own experiences. If I lump all Caucasians as 'Farang' in my speech, I'm lumping them together in my thoughts as well. From there it's just a small step to constant stereotyping. I would then impoverish my own experiences and miss out on the richness of which I could otherwise partake.

So, for me, this thread goes into the 'not ridiculous' column. Thank you all.

Now, there are many things people are offended by that they shouldn't be. I'd have no respite if I spent my time changing my behavior in all instances. But in this instance my sense (and yes, it works over the intertubes too!) tells me that quite a few genuinely good people who aren't prone to whining are truly offended by the term.

So when you wish to speak of the 'foreigner of European descent' across the street........given that you may not know his counry of origin........what are you going to call him?

LOL! I usually refer to him as a euroid. And when I go to the beach and see one in a thong like swim suit, I say the euroid wearing the banana hammock! laugh.gifBut, I know most of my neighbors by name, although they are almost all Thai. I sometimes find myself saying "stupid F----ing farang" when I see one driving or behaving like an idiot. But to Thais, the word farang by itself, is just describing a white skinned foreigner. Although my wife will say farang damh, for a black skinned foreigner.

Didn't the Arabic predate the Persian? Yes I know Persians are not Arabs, but there is a lot of cross-fertilization in that region. In any event, not related to French colonization of S.E. Asia.

Sumerian {Persian} is one of the oldest civilisations known - and substantial contributor to what we are today. Arabs might be a distant and latent cousin.

THe thai language as we know it didn't really exist before then anyway.....

Do a little more deeper and extended research, my friend.

...and what will I find?

basically the thai language has roots but was not the universal language for the region...the word may have it's origins in Kmer or elsewhere - I'm suggesting that I find the more recent roots suggested for "farng" are more compelling - if I saw some good evidence to the contrary I would "swing the other way".

so........when is the word first recorded in use Thai language?

Well as to some it appears derogatory............

First recorded use must have been at the time of the arrival of a white, European, beer swilling, loud, badly dressed, over weight, sex tourist............

Unless of course the above was not the original meaning............in which case the derogatory tone and usage of the word may well be subject to the opinions of the user......not the origin or initial meaning of the word?

Yes it is an informal (often impolite) word meaning white skinned western foreigner (more or less). Can be used as a noun or adjective.

no, not often impolite. Make a poll in a Thai forum...

And it probably came from the French. Why? Because they were the first Farang here making themselves known on a massive scale.

Can you give me dates of when the French where in Thailand on a massive scale please?

Yeah ! I can 31st July 2010 there were 5 coach loads in the Sukhothai historical park, all frogs, except for drivers and staff who told the Mrs there all Farangseet.

So when was it first used?

Well apparently the Guava - 'Farang' - was introduced by the Portugese..............and as I doubt the fruit was named after a loud, over bearing, overweight, white European,beer swilling, sex tourist,...............perhaps the word was borrowed from the fruit, being a description for white not native to Thailand, both fruit and person. The guava was described in Thai as white foreigner, subsequently being shortened to just Farang - Foreigner.

Perhaps the confusion is when the guava (farang) is seen as a smelly, white, foreign vegetable..............perhaps too close for comfort for a few.......:lol: .

I think we need a pinned "Farnag" topic so we dont' have towast anynmore cyberspace on it as the only options are

It's insulting and the Thais are racist using it

It's just a word to descibe white foreigners and tha Thais are racist using it.

PLEASE PIN THIS AND COMBINE ALL THE OTHER THREADS ON IT.

I think we need a pinned "Farnag" topic so we dont' have towast anynmore cyberspace on it as the only options are

It's insulting and the Thais are racist using it

It's just a word to descibe white foreigners and tha Thais are racist using it.

PLEASE PIN THIS AND COMBINE ALL THE OTHER THREADS ON IT.

Nope there's more milage yet...............is 'Farnag' derogatory?......................................have another beer....:D .

Yet another "done to death" topic.

Yes, another "why are we so dam_n superior to those people"........and "Why don't they want to be like us" thread. It's the body and soul of Thai-related expat forums.

Yes, another "why are we so dam_n superior to those people"........and "Why don't they want to be like us" thread. It's the body and soul of Thai-related expat forums.

You are exactly correct. Nobody is superior....just totally bored with the newbie rehash of the already thousands of rehashed threads. You won't find many 'old' members commenting due to this.

Whatever happened to the 'search' function? What's wrong with adding to an existing thread?

In my opinion, regardless of the origin of the word "farang", the current use of the word can sometimes be meant as an insulting derogatory term, but is most generally used as a simple convenient identification term much in the same sense that the word "caucasian" is used. Is there an alternate term that's better?

Edited by AmeriThai

In my opinion, regardless of the origin of the word "farang", the current use of the word can sometimes be meant as an insulting derogatory term, but is most generally used as a simple convenient identification term much in the same sense that the word "caucasian" is used. Is there an alternate term that's better?

How can it be a derogatory work or term?

If a Thai says "Farang keenok", the Thai is not being nice for sure. ie. "you bird shit farang". But, Farang is still not a derogatory word, the bird shit adjective is! The use of farang was identifying a or the person.

Can someone enlighten me as to where in the Thai language it is used as a derogatory word?????????????????????

Even if you don't speak Thai, farang bad, farang smelly, farang bad month, farang whatever, it still is only in reference to a person being identified by looks, nothing else. An in these cases is used in place of better knowledge of country of origin or the individuals name!

You are exactly correct. Nobody is superior....just totally bored with the newbie rehash of the already thousands of rehashed threads. You won't find many 'old' members commenting due to this.

Whatever happened to the 'search' function? What's wrong with adding to an existing thread?

Where are you Jingthing you have deserted the Thread.

It's all very well what people write on this word and what peoples thoughts about it is.

but when I see it brought up again I shall not look at it, Simple.

Edited by Kwasaki

I think I've had my say on the matter, at least for now. Carry on, farangs!

You have made some great comments, I've had a good laugh but for me on the subject, au revoir pour I' instant.

sorry had to have my little french dig.

The origin is originally from the ARABIC. Nothing to do with French colonialism in S.E. Asia. That's a total wive's tale. If Thais believe that, consider that most believe in ghosts and that their education is substandard. BTW, in Malay, an area heavily influenced by the Arab world and never colonized by the French either, the word is ferenggi.

Ah, Ferenggi - obviously taken from Star Trek! :whistling:200px-Ferengis1.jpg

Edited by wolf5370

Thank god im a farang.

Interesting. Sounds like something a white supremacist (with low self esteem) would say.

Or a religious nut with a low IQ.

Well I can think of worse things to be in the land of Tais.

How about ethnic Laotian, Burmese, Cambodian, Vietnamese, or even a Rohingya refugee.

How about one of the many northern hill people, or Mon, mai chai khon Thai roi percent chai mai?

For those easily offended or of a sensitive disposition how would you rather be referred to, man or meung?