Gerrard Leaving Liverpool

Steven Gerrard today announced he has "made the hardest decision of his life and is going to leave Liverpool" Sky Sports says. Where will he go? £32m allegedly been offered from Chelsea? What do you reckon Scouser? He's pivotal to not only your defence of the Champions League but for you attaining a decent place in the Premiership. Hope he doesn't go abroad, as i like watching him. I'm a Man City fan by the way. Who is there to replace him?

mr BoJ

The latest I have heard puts him on £120,000 per WEEK.... outrageous  :D

totster  :D

nice work...if you can get it eh :D Real Madrid are after him also. At Anfield today they where burning shirts with his name on. Not happy people :D Who do you support PattayaMan or is it obvious :o

Where Scouser? There might be some strong language to come :D

Mr BoJ

I am and always have been a Liverpool fan,but this leaves a bad taste great player but never satisfied.I look forward to the day when the the agents cause clubs to say <deleted> to these greedy players you contract will be legally binding

Of course the reason Gerrard quit Liverpool

has nothing to do with his salary.

Stevie G was outraged when he was presented

with his new shirt for the coming season.

( see photo below )

He was also disappointed to find Benitez had

dumped his Linguaphone copy of "How to Speak Scouse,"

and also ordered all staff at Anfield to start taking

Spanish lessons. Scouse pies have been taken off the

canteen menu and replaced with paella.

However, Benitez was left blue faced when someone

told him that new signing Zenden was not Spanish !

He has now begged Boro to take him back.

Late last night, ambivilous to all the fuss about Gerrard,

Benitez remained in his favourite Merseyside hangout -

the gay night club El Toro. Benitez danced the night away

stroking the maracas of 'friend' Miguel..... oh lay

Sadly I can reveal that TV mod 'scouser' has fled merseyside

to get away from it all. Poor sod is beside himself....

post-17620-1120596394_thumb.jpg

Gerrard anguish at Anfield exit

Steven Gerrard has spoken of his anguish at quitting Liverpool - but that pain is nothing compared to the misery of the supporters he has rejected.

Just 41 days after he lifted the European Cup and declared his intention to stay at Anfield, Gerrard has told Reds officials he wants to leave.

WORLD RECORD FEES

Zinedine Zidane, Juventus to Real Madrid, £46.5 million

Luis Figo, Barcelona to Real Madrid, £37.4 million

Hernan Crespo, Parma to Lazio, £35.7 million

Gianluigi Buffon, Parma to Juventus, £34 million

Christian Vieri, Lazio to Inter Milan, £31 million

Rio Ferdinand, Leeds to Man Utd, £29.1 million

Gaizka Mendieta, Valencia to Lazio, £29 million

Ronaldo,Inter Milan to Real Madrid, £28.9 million

Juan Sebastian Veron, Lazio to Man Utd £28.1 million

Rui Costa, Fiorentina to AC Milan £28 million

While his precise destination remains unknown, it appears to be only a matter of time before Chelsea increase the £32million offer which was rejected by Liverpool this morning and add the England international to their Premiership-winning squad.

After Gerrard's agent Struan Marshall informed Reds chief executive Rick Parry of the 25-year-old's decision to snub a £100,000-a-week contract offer which would have made him the highest paid player in the club's history, Liverpool insiders privately claimed it is immaterial whether a formal transfer request is lodged or not. The battle to keep him is lost.

``The last six weeks have been the toughest of my life and the decision I have come to has been the hardest decision I have ever had to make,'' Gerrard told Sky Sports News.

``I fully intended to sign a new contract after the Champions League Final but the events of the past five or six weeks have changed all that.

``I have too much respect for the club and the people at it to get involved in a slagging match.''

It is now obvious Gerrard was starting to have doubts over his long-term future even as the celebrations following Liverpool's stunning triumph in Istanbul began.

Those fears were exacerbated by a failure to open discussions over a new deal.

And when he arrived for negotiations with Parry last Wednesday to extend a contract which still has two years to run and instead of being offered a deal he was asked what terms he wanted, the player's patience snapped beyond repair.

Stunned by such a swift downturn in the relationship, Parry had hoped to salvage the situation with his big-money offer last night, but the news he dreaded was relayed to him by Marshall at lunchtime, shortly after Gerrard had driven out of Liverpool's Melwood training complex - possibly for the last time.

``We have done our best but it does look pretty final,'' a dejected Parry told Sky Sports News.

``He wanted success and presumably felt he would get success elsewhere - it is our job to prove him wrong.

``I did say to him, think of Istanbul, think of the fans.''

Those fans, who believed they shared a common goal with a player they regarded as one of their own, are now freely venting their disgust.

A shirt bearing Gerrard's name was burned outside Anfield and if he subsequently opts to stay in the Premiership, Gerrard can expect a hot reception when he returns.

``He is supposed to be a boyhood Red,'' said Les Lawson, spokesman for the Liverpool International Supporters' Club. ``As far as I am concerned he is not.

``He has turned down £100,000 a week; I am still paying off my credit card bill from going to Istanbul to cheer him on and thousands of Liverpool supporters are the same.

``He is turning down £100,000 a week to play for the team he is supposed to have supported since he was a kid. Where is the loyalty in that? He is going, but he is not going with his head held high.''

Only yesterday, with Parry's backing, manager Rafael Benitez stated his desire for Gerrard to stay with Liverpool for the remainder of his career, possibly eventually as manager. That dream lasted less than 24 hours.

With Gerrard highly unlikely to consider a move to Manchester United even if long-time admirer Sir Alex Ferguson was prompted into making a cheeky move, and Real Madrid unwilling to make overt advances to a player they believe is heading elsewhere, Chelsea appear to be the only plausible suitor.

So, far from finding themselves at the centre of a bidding war, Liverpool could now discover they are engaged in a high-stakes game of brinkmanship.

Now resigned to losing his captain and talisman, manager Benitez will be eager to use the cash to reinforce his squad still further following yesterday's arrival of Bolo Zenden, Jose Reina, Mark Gonzales and Antonio Barragan.

But the Spaniard knows Chelsea can afford to wait and test Liverpool's patience by refusing to go anywhere near the British record £40million Parry and his fellow directors are looking for.

If the matter drags on another week, Benitez would be in the uncomfortable position of having to decide whether to name Gerrard in his side for the Champions League qualifier against Total Network Solution, a move that would cup-tie him from all European competitions for the remainder of the campaign.

Such a move would appear unlikely given the massive effect it would have on Gerrard's value and all the indications are the issue will be resolved far more speedily, probably by the end of the week, much to the frustration of everyone at the Merseyside giants.

``I don't imagine it is just going to be one club bidding for Gerrard,'' added Parry optimistically.

``It is only one day, although one day makes a big difference in negotiations as we have seen.''

Reference: www.soccernet.com

I think this has been discussed before on previous threads. The main point being that L.F.C built their success on the ptich in the 80's through a team devoid of Englishmen. I don't remember them being anglophiles in the 90's either. The latest team to go down this path is, of course, Arsenal.

of course he wants to leave he is at a average club who got very lucky he knows they are not good enough to compete with the big three.

i think he wants a premiership medal,so i cant see him going to real madrid,dont no if i would like too see him at united think he will go chelski as the mafi boy's want to buy another title

Where's Scouser? I'm getting really concerned about his well being now. Just write a post saying "No comment" Scouse so we know your O.K.  :o

Mr BoJ

Scouser can respond now.....

Gerrard is staying at The 'Pool! :D

Where's Scouser? I'm getting really concerned about his well being now. Just write a post saying "No comment" Scouse so we know your O.K.  :D

Mr BoJ

Scouser can respond now.....

Gerrard is staying at The 'Pool! :D

But they all burned their shirts with his name on yesterday at Anfield. Do you think this is a marketing ploy :o They will all have to go back and buy another one now. Genius, why do Man City never think of things like this :D

Mr BoJ

Taken from the BBC website, 4.20pm. Wednesday 6th July

Gerrard in shock Liverpool U-turn

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has had a dramatic change of heart and decided to stay at Anfield.

The 25-year-old told Liverpool he wanted to leave after contract negotiations broke down.

Chelsea looked set to land Gerrard after having an initial £32m bid rejected by Liverpool.

But Gerrard has another change of heart after talks with chief executive Rick Parry, who said: "He realises how much the club means to him."

I couldn't be more delighted. It is what we wanted all along

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry

Gerrard is now expected to sign the new contract on offer worth £100,000-a-week, a deal he initially snubbed.

Chelsea will be bitterly disappointed at the development after failing to land Gerrard in similar fashion last summer, when he was on the verge of a move to Stamford Bridge only to pull out at the last minute.

Parry had admitted defeat in the battle to keep Gerrard at Liverpool on Tuesday, but emerged on Wednesday morning to reveal the sensational twist.

He said: "Stevie's decided to stay. It's a little bit like last year, only even more dramatic.

"In the language he used to us, he never said he wanted to go. He never said 'I wanted to go'.

"I think in the last 24 hours he has reflected on it, he's thought it through and he wants to stay.

I'm very glad he's staying but I hope this isn't going to happen every year - I feel slightly held to ransom

And he added he expected no problems over the new contract, saying: "I think that's already hammered out. I don't think there is an issue with that any more."

Gerrard's discontent is believed to have sprung from a feeling that he was not wanted at Liverpool because of delays over agreeing a new contract.

And Parry admitted: "I've apologised to Stevie if I have misread his emotions.

"I guess after winning the Champions League in Istanbul I thought I knew where we were going but he clearly thought for whatever reason that the club wasn't as enthusiastic about keeping him as we might have been. He was anxious.

"There were one or two issues with the contract which he took to mean a lack of enthusiasm on our part, which it wasn't. He understands that now.

"We've had some emotional moments together, cleared everything up and I don't think this will happen again."

And personnally I think all the agents should be taken out and shot ! !

Absolutely spot on.

Ditto that.

Now that Chelsea have missed out on Gerrard, it is beleived that they are coming to get our Shaun Wright-Phillips for about £20m. I hope not. :D Yeah, we could with the money but he's our prize asset. Sometimes i hate this sport :o

Mr BoJ