Warranty Repair Takes Forever

GreenSnapper

I bought a camera in Panthip Plaza which was defective a few months later. I have only a Thai warranty, probably the reason why it was cheaper than at the big shops.

OK, returned the camera, got a receipt and now I'm waiting, waiting.....

Already 6 weeks have passed, and when calling the shop the girl just says, "not finished yet, have to wait". No date given how long this "wait" will take. And not much efforts to help get my camera back.

In my home country, I could ask for money back or an exchange. But here in Thailand, is there anything else I can do except for "wait"?

Learned a lesson at least - don't buy products with a local warranty.

I expect there are some Thai consumer protection laws but they are basically ineffective, not effectively advertised to the public, basically not enforced, etc. The Pantip shop may have sent the item back to the manufacturer (out of country) for repair. It can take a while. I had a satellite TV receiver (made in China) which went bad within the warranty period, took it back to the location I bought it, got it back repaired in 2 months, 1 week after numerous, numerous phone followups (by the Thai wife). Give it a few more weeks but keep the followup pressure on. Good luck.

Depends what brand it is.

I had an Olympus digital camera that wont wonky and when I took it to the Olympus repair centre they said 1 month as they have to bring the parts from Japan.

3 months later I got the camera back. Methinks it's a financial problem, maybe a customs issue.