Australia Issues Travel Warning For 10 Thai Provinces

webfact

Australia Issues Travel Warning for 10 Thai Provinces

Australian authorities have issued a travel advisory for ten provinces in Thailand, including Bangkok.

There warning instructs Australian nationals to use extreme caution when traveling to those areas due to terror warnings from Thai authorities.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-08-05

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the DFAT website current at 5 October 2010.

http://www.smartrave...Advice/Thailand

Once again it shows that the people in the Australian Embassy like many others in Thailand really have no idea what the lay of the land is in Thailand. I am appalled at how stupid these people are who work in Embassies in Bangkok. Thailand Govt should put out a Travel Advisory for Australia saying one should not fo into the outback because they might have issues with a few snakes!!

The people are just covering their dirty <deleted>!!!

Hey i'm off to Phuket next week, should i be worried about these warnings? Planning on going to most off the tourists places, clubs malls beaches etc. Also going to Pattaya and Ko Samui to head to the full moon party and probably spend a few days in bangkok to finish up, i was excited about the trip but after reading this travel warning not so much now.

There is less danger to a traveller in Chiang Mai than there is in Sydney. Just a local observation for all of you who are worried about coming here. Enjoy your holiday here as I am sure you will.

Once again it shows that the people in the Australian Embassy like many others in Thailand really have no idea what the lay of the land is in Thailand. I am appalled at how stupid these people are who work in Embassies in Bangkok. Thailand Govt should put out a Travel Advisory for Australia saying one should not fo into the outback because they might have issues with a few snakes!!

Your comment is both unfounded and nasty. It betrays an ignorance of the activities at DFAT as well as limited reading comprehension skills. Read the entry again. It says High Caution. It is a prudent and reasoned warning. The no travel advisory for Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla has been in place for a long time. This is because there are almost daily bombings/murders/beheadings in the deep south. DFAT has an obligation to warn Australian nationals from the affected areas. Bombs are a fact of life in Thailand, not in Australia. Are you clueless to what is happening in th e 4 provinces cited? Thai soldiers are being sent home missing bits and pieces of their bodies. It is hardly peaceful or safe.

In addition to monitoring the current political situation, DFAT coordinates with other foreign governments, particularly Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA. There is a pooling of assets that includes actual intelligence operations, physical assessments by local staff and the monitoring of communications. ASIS reports into DFAT and provides a daily risk briefing. As well, Australia's Defense Signals Directorate has responsibility for the bulk of communication intercepts and monitoring in the region for its key allies. Basically, these countries rely to a great extent on Australia's ability to snoop. DFAT just didn't come up with the warning for the fun of it. The warning was given because there is a REAL danger.

You may not hold DFAT in high regard, but it seems that other governments and their spy agencies do. DFAT doesn't issue frivolous warnings and of all the foreign services, Australia is still one of the most professional despite the ungratefulness of some of its citizens. You should be ashamed of yourself for maligning a decent government department and the thousands of people that work to keep Australians (and the rest of the world for that matter) safe.

Edited by geriatrickid

"We advise you to exercise caution and monitor developments that might affect your safety because of the risk of terrorist attack.

Pay close attention to your personal security and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security threats."

No this isn't their warning for Thailand it's for the UK. They give the same warning level for Thailand as they do for Burma and don't even think of going to Bali.

Probably have a little man in a back office never been outside of Australia watching CNN all day.

Hey i'm off to Phuket next week, should i be worried about these warnings? Planning on going to most off the tourists places, clubs malls beaches etc. Also going to Pattaya and Ko Samui to head to the full moon party and probably spend a few days in bangkok to finish up, i was excited about the trip but after reading this travel warning not so much now.

were you worried about the warnings last week or last month? the overall level hasn't changed. if anything it has been dropping. they just changed some details this time around.

hahaha what a joke...... The Thai Govt is promoting tourism i thought

Don't know about this being a "joke" if there are bombs exploding... it's not the government, it's those who plant the explosive devices and this is their target, terrorism at it's finest!

Bali is and remains so far the very sad peak of such activities!

DO NOT RENT JET SKIS!!! USE THE BUDDY SYSTEM! STAY AWAY FROM FULL MOON PARTY ( drugs are predominant and very illegal in thailand) be very aware of

do be very aware of whats going on around you. buy a doorknob lock that fits on your doorknob and is secured by a lock. that way if a girl wants to rip you

off she cannot get out nor can she let someone in.:):jap::rolleyes:

Your comment is both unfounded and nasty. It betrays an ignorance of the activities at DFAT as well as limited reading comprehension skills. Read the entry again. It says High Caution. It is a prudent and reasoned warning. The no travel advisory for Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla has been in place for a long time. This is because there are almost daily bombings/murders/beheadings in the deep south. DFAT has an obligation to warn Australian nationals from the affected areas. Bombs are a fact of life in Thailand, not in Australia. Are you clueless to what is happening in th e 4 provinces cited? Thai soldiers are being sent home missing bits and pieces of their bodies. It is hardly peaceful or safe.

In addition to monitoring the current political situation, DFAT coordinates with other foreign governments, particularly Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA. There is a pooling of assets that includes actual intelligence operations, physical assessments by local staff and the monitoring of communications. ASIS reports into DFAT and provides a daily risk briefing. As well, Australia's Defense Signals Directorate has responsibility for the bulk of communication intercepts and monitoring in the region for its key allies. Basically, these countries rely to a great extent on Australia's ability to snoop. DFAT just didn't come up with the warning for the fun of it. The warning was given because there is a REAL danger.

You may not hold DFAT in high regard, but it seems that other governments and their spy agencies do. DFAT doesn't issue frivolous warnings and of all the foreign services, Australia is still one of the most professional despite the ungratefulness of some of its citizens. You should be ashamed of yourself for maligning a decent government department and the thousands of people that work to keep Australians (and the rest of the world for that matter) safe.

Well DFAT might be good at some things but i doubt even they can predict the future "current at 5 October 2010"??

were you worried about the warnings last week or last month? the overall level hasn't changed. if anything it has been dropping. they just changed some details this time around.

i only just found out about these warnings today, thank for the reply

DO NOT RENT JET SKIS!!! USE THE BUDDY SYSTEM! STAY AWAY FROM FULL MOON PARTY ( drugs are predominant and very illegal in thailand) be very aware of

do be very aware of whats going on around you. buy a doorknob lock that fits on your doorknob and is secured by a lock. that way if a girl wants to rip you

off she cannot get out nor can she let someone in.:):jap::rolleyes:

i wont be taking any drugs, thanks for the heads up anyway

Well DFAT might be good at some things but i doubt even they can predict the future "current at 5 October 2010"??

Well, just out of interest I read the full document...I thought that it contained some very useful information....and it said that the SOE remains in force in ten provinces until 4th October. Maybe we all should read it and maybe pick up just one point that may help us at somepoint in the future.

Certainly, now I know of this document, I would advise any of my friends who will be coming to visit us to read it...it puts you wise to various scams/possible problems etc of which visitors will not be aware.

Just the sort of arrogant reply I expected from a obvious fanatical Australian. Possibly a member of the Australian Embassy in Thailand or ex member.

Why should I read and read again..! To me it is dam_n obvious that YOU have no idea what is going on in all provinces in Thailand.

"Thai soldiers are being sent home missing bits and pieces of their bodies" maybe, but it does not say Falang are being sent home does it.

You are obvious a person that sits at a desk somewhere and receives Intelligence reports from ASIO operating in Thailand illegally then passes this somewhat dubious information on to DFAT, who then shares this with other lazy embassies in Thailand.

I can share a fact with you and that is my so called "Embassy" does not bother at all to go into the provinces and collect information at all but rely on a few people who have other agenda's than that of there Embassy.

Get of your butts and go see for yourself, or maybe that your embassy cannot meet the cost's of travel and accommodation.

I have lived in the outer Province's of Thailand for a number of years and can absolutely refute your travel warning in two of the provinces that you have stated. I read and speak Thai and mix with the local daily in my province and I can say that you are talking through your arse.

You have no idea what 'REAL DANGER" might be as you have never been in such a situation.

You go back to watching CNN and drinking with your friendly falangs using taxpayers money and I will go back to planting rice so as I can feed you !! Maybe you will choke on it..

• Like 1

I live in Chiang Mai and have for four years. I was here for all the ignorance no problem felt and still do entirely safe.

Maybe I should have read that article. My God my life was on the line every time I opened my front door I didn't recognize the peril I was in.

Thank you Australia who are not here for correcting me who is here on my perception of things.

Am planing a trip to the States and Canada what shall I watch out for. :cheesy:

Edited by jayjay0

Just an after thought to me previous posting.

Why don't you guys who sit at all these stated embassies (UK,USA,NZ,Australia,Canada and many more) doing exactly the same job (spying on the Government and people of Thailand) pool your resources and publish the same document on all your websites. Better to have continuity across all Embassy websites than otherwise. Also would get ride of a lot of Falang Government bureaucrats who have no need to be here in Thailand.

Squigy - what do you think would happen if travel warnings were not issued and a tourist was killed in a bombing attack in Bangkok? There would be hel_l to play for that country's government for failing to issue realistic travel warnings.

The fact is that if a tourist travels in the deep south provinces, then they are definitely at risk of being the victim of one of the daily bombings. Ask the relatives of Malaysian tourists who have died.

The fact is, it could have been a tourist who was injured in the grenade bomb last week in Bangkok

The fact is, popular tourist locations, such as Phuket and Pattaya are at an increased risk of terrorist attacks.

I agree that many areas of Thailand are probably perfectly safe, but tourists tend not to stay in one single location, and they also tend to visit popular tourist locations.

Now, would you rather than these travel warnings were not issued?

Simon

Squigy - what do you think would happen if travel warnings were not issued and a tourist was killed in a bombing attack in Bangkok? There would be hel_l to play for that country's government for failing to issue realistic travel warnings.

The fact is that if a tourist travels in the deep south provinces, then they are definitely at risk of being the victim of one of the daily bombings. Ask the relatives of Malaysian tourists who have died.

The fact is, it could have been a tourist who was injured in the grenade bomb last week in Bangkok

The fact is, popular tourist locations, such as Phuket and Pattaya are at an increased risk of terrorist attacks.

I agree that many areas of Thailand are probably perfectly safe, but tourists tend not to stay in one single location, and they also tend to visit popular tourist locations.

Simon

Simon,

You can issue all the travel advices you wish, but lets get the facts and details right.

I have travelled the World and can tell you that I never look at my Government's website on Safe Travel.

I have been to many places that one would consider dubious and have never had problems.

I have had bombs exploding around me, shots being fired into my apartment, buildings burnt down around me.

Earthquakes as well cause issues.

Cheers

Bill

Good grief... settle down a bit.

Both sides are right. The DFAT advisory is understandable in light of Thai government announcements & events. They are dammed if they do...and dammed if they don't!!

To most who live here it is obvious that the genuine risk (dependent upon your location) ranges between almost nil .... and nonexistent.

An arriving tourist like dno27 is entitled to ask ... shows some brains... so to him ---- not any reasonable risk. Probably considerably safer than in your home city.

But ---" the full moon party" off Samui-- now there is something to avoid all costs!!! Not only dangerous (how many transfer boat drownings recently?) but bl**dy unpleasant!!

• Like 1

Simon

Simon,

You can issue all the travel advices you wish, but lets get the facts and details right.

I have travelled the World and can tell you that I never look at my Government's website on Safe Travel.

I have been to many places that one would consider dubious and have never had problems.

I have had bombs exploding around me, shots being fired into my apartment, buildings burnt down around me.

Earthquakes as well cause issues.

Cheers

Bill

Are you a journalist?

This is the kind of comment that was made just days befor 100 were killed and thousands injured.....I dont think you really have any idea of the 'lay of the land'

Snakes in the outback are a far cry from bombings and people being killed or maimed for life.

Get out and listen to Thai people what they are saying and their true feelings, or watch the news you may be in for a shock.

Just the sort of arrogant reply I expected from a obvious fanatical Australian. Possibly a member of the Australian Embassy in Thailand or ex member.

Why should I read and read again..! To me it is dam_n obvious that YOU have no idea what is going on in all provinces in Thailand.

"Thai soldiers are being sent home missing bits and pieces of their bodies" maybe, but it does not say Falang are being sent home does it.

You are obvious a person that sits at a desk somewhere and receives Intelligence reports from ASIO operating in Thailand illegally then passes this somewhat dubious information on to DFAT, who then shares this with other lazy embassies in Thailand.

I can share a fact with you and that is my so called "Embassy" does not bother at all to go into the provinces and collect information at all but rely on a few people who have other agenda's than that of there Embassy.

Get of your butts and go see for yourself, or maybe that your embassy cannot meet the cost's of travel and accommodation.

I have lived in the outer Province's of Thailand for a number of years and can absolutely refute your travel warning in two of the provinces that you have stated. I read and speak Thai and mix with the local daily in my province and I can say that you are talking through your arse.

You have no idea what 'REAL DANGER" might be as you have never been in such a situation.

You go back to watching CNN and drinking with your friendly falangs using taxpayers money and I will go back to planting rice so as I can feed you !! Maybe you will choke on it..

hahahahahahahahahah A farang rice planter with political views now THAT is funny. If you can read and speak Thai I have some swamp land to sell to you. Your just a moron I think You state;

Thats probably because most sensible Farangs read and abide to these warnings and DON'T go there.

The day I am waiting fo a farang rice planter to feed me will be the day that Thailand freezes over mate. And no Im not Australian I'm Canadian.

Yeah the Aussie government should post some travel warnings for the western suburbs of Sydney....excercise extreme caution.... maybe even go so far as to post a "do not travel" advisory. Also I was in a pub in Bluff New Zealand about 2 years ago....now that was dangerous!!