Guard Dogs

Nip

I have been trying for quite a while to purchase a dog to take care of the house. I have a large garden and been broken into on 2/3 occasions and I am looking for a dog that will as far as possible

deter intruders.I have looked for a German Shepherd, Rottweiler etc even tried an American Pit Bull who turned out to be scared of our scrawny cat. Had a Thai dog before a type of mini Husky who was excellenthe even took care of the snakes but he passed away recently and I cant seem to find another one. Have tried the markets but they are all sold out.

Can anybody please guide me to somebody who is selling such a dog? Thank you!

Edited by Nip

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Contact John Dalley at Soi Dog Foundation. Tell him what kind of dog you're looking for. I'm sure they will have something suitable.

Yes, the Soi Dog Foundation, or any of the Wats (Temples) as they have many abandoned Thai dogs that would love a home and would give their life for you if you love and care for them. I have a Thai dog that can run 40 KPH, kills cobras and other snakes as well protects me, my GF and my house...

I do.. I have lots of Thai Dog.. about 50 of then and NO ONE dares enter my estate..when my TRD are running loose.. PM me and I will give all the info I can or see my website.

Exactly the kind of nightmare owner you dont need to live near.

50 dogs, running loose, around his estate causing fear.. Just superb responsible ownership !!! :angry:

I do.. I have lots of Thai Dog.. about 50 of then and NO ONE dares enter my estate..when my TRD are running loose.. PM me and I will give all the info I can or see my website.

Exactly the kind of nightmare owner you dont need to live near.

50 dogs, running loose, around his estate causing fear.. Just superb responsible ownership !!! :angry:

I think he is referring to soi dogs that do not actually belong to him

Contact John Dalley at Soi Dog Foundation. Tell him what kind of dog you're looking for. I'm sure they will have something suitable.

Yes, the Soi Dog Foundation, or any of the Wats (Temples) as they have many abandoned Thai dogs that would love a home and would give their life for you if you love and care for them. I have a Thai dog that can run 40 KPH, kills cobras and other snakes as well protects me, my GF and my house...

You have an unusual dog i have never seen a dog before that can crack a snake like a whip or kill so quickly

You have an unusual dog i have never seen a dog before that can crack a snake like a whip or kill so quickly

I've never had a dog like her before either! I've had dogs most all of my life and she is by far the most protective dog I've ever had. I really don't encourage her to hunt snakes as they are part of the environment here. But I can't stop her instinct to hunt and protect. She did give you a good showing of her quickness when you came over and killed that rather large snake in seconds... By the way Peter, it was a pleasure to meet you and your Misses.

All the best to you, Jimi

• 2 months later...

I find adopted soi dogs to be the best guard dogs - they are so happy to have a home that they consider it their responsibility to bark aggressively when any strangers come near. Bonus - they would never actually bite anyone, they just SOUND incredibly aggressive.

The pedigree dog I brought with me from England has (obviously) never lived on the streets or needed to be careful of what's going on around him - he sleeps more soundly than me :rolleyes:!

My soi dogs though..... no stranger would dare going through my gate during the day and I am 100% confident that if anyone tried to break in at night (I keep them indoors at night), they would wake up and bark immediately.

You need to find a reasonably 'confident', medium-sized, soi dog though, not a 'frightened' soi dog. (Although, thinking about it, even my 'frightened of everything' soi dog barks aggressively when anyone comes near to the house!)

The problem with Dobermans, pit bulls etc. is that if they are trained to protect the property, they could bite someone rather than just frighten them off!

Agree with a previous poster who recommended contacting Soi Dogs organisation - they are bound to have the right dog for your needs.

the thai husky type is a bangkhew or something close to that.

Dont even need to train him, thais wet their pants even if they're cuddly.

Best dog in the entire world

best dog is rottweiler. so kind with everyone when I am awake, even ignore other dogs until they attack, wonderfully efficient guard dog when I sleep. I m on my 3rd rottie, used to have doberman and briard and some small hairy dogs

best dog is rottweiler. so kind with everyone when I am awake, even ignore other dogs until they attack, wonderfully efficient guard dog when I sleep. I m on my 3rd rottie, used to have doberman and briard and some small hairy dogs

I always thought of rottweilers as being a bit too scary and unpredictable. My favourite dog, which I believe has the best balance of being a loving family dog that would die fighting to protect his family but very, very placid otherwise, is the boxer.

Rotties, dobermans and pitt bulls etc, seem to lean a little bit too far toward the fighting side and not enough to the placid family dog side. Although of course it all depends on how the dog is raised, I'm just talking across the board.

mind you, I can't ever remember seeing any boxers in Phuket, probably not that easy to get hold of.

P.S I'm also a very strong believer that no dogs should be allowed near children, no matter how friendly they seem. There used to be a poster on here (didn't like her much) that had loads of pitt bulls and wouldn't accept that they were any threat to children. What happened to her? Perhaps she got eaten.:D

post-49171-0-41602800-1289013263_thumb.j I was a sentry dog handler during the Viet Nam war era. I have owned three rottweilers also. They seem to have an inborn sense of who the good guys and the bad guys are. Intelligent beyond belief sometimes. Yes there have been some terrible owners who have turned some Rotties into monsters. When owning a Rotty you must become the "pack leader" alpha dog as soon as possible. They DEFINITELY are not dogs for everyone. They do love kids and will protect them very well. Here is a photo of my first in Alaska being buried by my three year old.post-49171-0-56917600-1289013133_thumb.j Edited by bunta71

The problem with Dobermans, pit bulls etc. is that if they are trained to protect the property, they could bite someone rather than just frighten them off!

Any dog needs the right owner.. And almost any dog can be properly socialized and trained. Plus if a dog bites someone whose come onto my property without permission, I am not sure I would see that as a problem.

The only dogs I have had a hard time with feeling comfortable with were Staffies / English bull terriers and some American pitbull males.. Seen other American pitbulls that were fine, and spent time with a female that seemed very safe, but the males seemed to have an unpredictable streak that worried me.

I always thought of rottweilers as being a bit too scary and unpredictable. My favourite dog, which I believe has the best balance of being a loving family dog that would die fighting to protect his family but very, very placid otherwise, is the boxer.

So I thought and keep hearing.. My mate has a big soppy one that seems safe as houses.. But its the unpredictability, the fine until they snap aspect that others have told me, that leaves me wary. As I say, never seen it, but its a big old hound should it happen.

I am in the process of picking a dog in the next 6 months, and take the choice very seriously as a dog is for life.. But I want something that is highly stable and social so can be petted by the wife and treated as a true pet, so a breed that enjoys a lot of affection.. But I would like a dog that isnt a yipper and protects his/her home turf.. Yet also dont want a really large dog (rottie too much I think). Something small or midsize and short haired without the hound scent.

I would love a smaller female dobe.. But fear it fails the affection / petting issue.. Not seen any full sized boxers here only french boxers and other minis.. A boxer would be ideal.. Beagles are happy animals and an ideal mid size but think they tend to smell..

I guess I overthink these things.. One day at the pound and one will just give those eyes and it will be the one.

Oddly even tho its not much of a guard dog, I keep coming round to a jack russell or larger 'foxie' fox terrier.. Can be a bit stubborn (all terriers are arent they ?) but lots of character.

I used to help a mate train security dogs for his security company.

German Shepherds- Are the best all-rounders. Smart, loyal, reliable and have a bite that is powerful but not too powerful.

Rottie- Great dogs. They are smart, very loyal and make excellent family pets. Their bite is extremely powerful and they are inclined to not want to let go once they have got hold of someone. Extremely territorial.

Doberman- Very smart, maybe too smart as they are hard to train. Very flighty and highly strung. We never used them as we considered them unreliable.

Pit Bulls, Bullterriers- Hopeless for security or protection work. Not the sharpest knives in the canine drawer. Will attack and kill other animals readily but useless as guard bogs unless crossed with a smarter breed. Their bite is way too strong and once they lock onto something they lock their jaws and you need to practically kill them to make them let go.

The cops in Australia tried a few rotties, I remember them telling us about a night they let one go after a crim. They said by the time they caught up to the rottie, he had just about mauled the guys arm off. We got given one that the Australian Protective Services had been using to guard an embassy. It was one of their rejects as they thought it was too dangerous to let run free anywhere. We called him "Balls" and he was a total psycho, you had to grap him by balls to try to get him to release when we trained him to attack the padded arm. He used to crush my arm and try to rip it off as I screamed at my mate to get him off my arm. He was badly trained from the start and settled down while in our care. He was eventually sold to a family and they said he was the most loyal and well mannered dog they had owned.

I used to have 3 rotties but now only have a Pommeranium. He is a btter guard dog than the rotties were. :lol:

Doberman- Very smart, maybe too smart as they are hard to train. Very flighty and highly strung. We never used them as we considered them unreliable.

Strange. One of the advantages which always are highlighted about the Doberman is that they are very intelligent and easily trained.

I used to help a mate train security dogs for his security company.

German Shepherds- Are the best all-rounders. Smart, loyal, reliable and have a bite that is powerful but not too powerful.

Rottie- Great dogs. They are smart, very loyal and make excellent family pets. Their bite is extremely powerful and they are inclined to not want to let go once they have got hold of someone. Extremely territorial.

Pit Bulls, Bullterriers- Hopeless for security or protection work. Not the sharpest knives in the canine drawer. Will attack and kill other animals readily but useless as guard bogs unless crossed with a smarter breed. Their bite is way too strong and once they lock onto something they lock their jaws and you need to practically kill them to make them let go.

The cops in Australia tried a few rotties, I remember them telling us about a night they let one go after a crim. They said by the time they caught up to the rottie, he had just about mauled the guys arm off. We got given one that the Australian Protective Services had been using to guard an embassy. It was one of their rejects as they thought it was too dangerous to let run free anywhere. We called him "Balls" and he was a total psycho, you had to grap him by balls to try to get him to release when we trained him to attack the padded arm. He used to crush my arm and try to rip it off as I screamed at my mate to get him off my arm. He was badly trained from the start and settled down while in our care. He was eventually sold to a family and they said he was the most loyal and well mannered dog they had owned.

I used to have 3 rotties but now only have a Pommeranium. He is a btter guard dog than the rotties were. :lol:

I never liked rotties until I met some well trained rotties joining us training avalanche rescue. They where awesome, extremely goal/work oriented, nothing could stop them from doing their job. This was 25 years ago, and due to the lack of fuhr, unablity to live outdoor in snow, I didnt want rotties at that time. Moving to thailand 8 years ago, it was time. A firm and kind leader, and you have the most fantastic dog. Loyal, playful, to be trusted with kids and shi tsus, a bit lazy when "job" is done but that suits most families perfectly. As guard dog, they dont allert when not needed, IOW intellegent analyses on when to alert, so totally quiet most nights. Rotties behavior in any situation is very easy to predict, and thus can be interfered. Not very interested in other dogs, and when a group of (street) dogs want to attack, they are ignored until they actually attack. then rottie picks the leader, shake him a bit, remain standing over him until totally quiet and not moving and walks happily away

My rotties are allowed to bite intruders, and is allowed to protect his toys from strangers, IOW bite. Unthinkable for a dog in public areas without a leash in my homecountry, but needed in a society with people hitting dogs

agree on Dobermans, to much smart on their own and generaly flighty. hard to predict, and hard to get a job done, and not really fearless as a rottweiler is

agree on pit bulls and the identical/similar breeds, extreme bite but so has a crocodile, and useless as working/guard dogs and rather stupid

rottweilers do need a firm, experienced and kind leader, and most horror stories about rottweilers are dogs without training or lack of leadership. On the other hand, I leave my dogs home with my maid on occasions for a week or so, she was scrared to sh-t when she started here 1,5 years ago, still walks in circles around dog, but works fine even in public areas

post-81971-0-07150000-1289098836_thumb.j

Edited by katabeachbum

Strange. One of the advantages which always are highlighted about the Doberman is that they are very intelligent and easily trained.

My mate really knew how to train dogs, he said dobies were too smart, so smart that if they thought they were in danger they would turn on their handler rather than the threat. I saw a few people try to train them and I thought they were hopeless for real security work. As a guard dog they were ok as they looked mean and had a reputation. Rotties were better but Shepherds were smarter and less stubborn than rotties. The cops rejected Dobes completely.

I think it was more due to the bad breeding practices in Australia, like rotties, dobes got too popular at various points and people were breeding them just to make money. The best one I saw was a German import rated level 3. There was a German guy who bred good dobes but he would make people sign an agreement they were not to be used as security dogs. You can't crop tails or ears in Australia and Rotties to me look funny with a tail. I only like dobes with cropped ears but that too is illegal.

A guy in Patong used to breed Dobes and they were really nice looking ones. Big strong boned ones with cropped ears. You used to see a lot of them in Patong.

My mate really knew how to train dogs, he said dobies were too smart, so smart that if they thought they were in danger they would turn on their handler rather than the threat. I saw a few people try to train them and I thought they were hopeless for real security work. As a guard dog they were ok as they looked mean and had a reputation. Rotties were better but Shepherds were smarter and less stubborn than rotties. The cops rejected Dobes completely.

I think it was more due to the bad breeding practices in Australia, like rotties, dobes got too popular at various points and people were breeding them just to make money. The best one I saw was a German import rated level 3. There was a German guy who bred good dobes but he would make people sign an agreement they were not to be used as security dogs. You can't crop tails or ears in Australia and Rotties to me look funny with a tail. I only like dobes with cropped ears but that too is illegal.

A guy in Patong used to breed Dobes and they were really nice looking ones. Big strong boned ones with cropped ears. You used to see a lot of them in Patong.

Ok if we're talking high-level law enforcement/security work I have no idea. You may be right. I was primarily thinking about regular home security needs. Those of course are completely different things. But as you say the lines means quite a lot too. I will get my dobie pup from a breeder in Bangkok in around a week. He has dobermans from all the best lines in Europe, and seems to be really good at what he does. It's not cheap though. But who wants to be a cheap ass when it comes to dogs? Not me that's for sure jap.gif

Just teach the dog to attack anyone who gives it food besides you :whistling:

Just hurl the meat over the wall.

The dog will find it and won't know how it got there.

Quickly bleed it out internally.

What about a tennis ball filled with anti freeze?

Can we train the dog not to fetch a ball?wink.gif

Just teach the dog to attack anyone who gives it food besides you :whistling:

Reminds me of a couple of Monty Python sketches.

How to play the flute:-

Stick it in you mouth and blow whilst running your fingers up and down the outside.

How to become famous:-

Invent a medicine that will cure all known diseases.

Just hurl the meat over the wall.

The dog will find it and won't know how it got there.

Quickly bleed it out internally.

What about a tennis ball filled with anti freeze?

Can we train the dog not to fetch a ball?wink.gif

When would you do that? My dog would be inside all night and go crazy as soon as the alarm goes off, and I would get up and back him up with some pepperspray and kicks to the head. During the day my dog would never be outside unless I was there to keep an eye on him. You're welcome to come try out your theory partytime2.gif

and I would get up and back him up with some pepperspray and kicks to the head.

Jeez........yet another internet tough guy.

They seem to be infesting the Phuket sub-forum these days.

Bet you own a couple of Tiger Muay Thai T-shirts, don't you?

More likely owns a dreaded BB gun as per other poster..keyboard warriors really need to come out to play nowand again in the real world me thinks..:whistling: