Student Visa Confusion - Update

Previous thread was locked (?), so I'm updating here. For previous posts, see here

Just talked to the school about the situation and they told me they already talked to immigration and got me an approval for my student visa, so I cannot get a different paper and travel abroad to get it at an embassy. They showed me an official-looking paper (in Thai) printed on letterhead from the immigration department. Apparently, you can get approved by immigration in Pranburi (I'm in Hua Hin) so you can get your visa here (instead of having to leave Thailand and get it at an embassy). Now they need my passport to go to Bangkok to the education department to get me the actual ED stamp. According to them, I'll get my passport back on the same day. They made me talk to a student from England who was there for a class and who said he got the visa the same way, without leaving Thailand. Now, they could all be lying, of course, but I don't think I have a choice at this point, so I'm going to give this a go.

I'll keep you all updated to see if this works or not!

I was always under the impression that the paperwork had to be taken outside of Thailand, or received outside of Thailand and taken to a Thai embassy to receive your education visa. If you read all the posts here I think that they will state the same. If you are already in Thailand, the school will give you the paperwork and you take it to a Thai Embassy outside of the country, or as in my case the paperwork from the school and the Ed. ministry was sent to me in Canada and I took it to the Thai Consulate who issued the Ed. Visa. Am I missing something here? Have the rules changed overnight? I cannot see how Immigration has anything to do with the approval of a visa.

Edited by Colabamumbai

Yeah, that was the topic of the previous thread (see link). They offered me the choice to go out (Malaysia, for example) but they also said they could do it without me leaving. People here commented it wasn't possible to do it from inside Thailand, so I went back to the school and they assured me it is possible for those here on a tourist visa. They even introduced me to another student who was in the same situation. He already received his visa and already had a 3-month extension, which proves (if he's telling the truth on how he got the visa in the first place) that it was a legal visa, since it was extended.

I know everybody here is saying it can't be done, but I'm in a bit of a difficult position now, because they told me today they already had approval from immigration so I can't actually leave anymore (I mean, I guess I could, but they would have to process the whole thing again). According to them, if you're outside Thailand, you go to the embassy/consulate; if you're inside Thailand, you go to immigration (actually, the school does it for you).Once they get approval from immigration, then they go to the education department to get you the actual stamp. At least that's what I was told.

Edited by blyish

I seem to recall a private thai language school somewhere (Hua Hin, Cha-Am maybe), which I corresponded with some months back.

They said they could secure a single entry 90 day Non-Immigrant Type-ED visa inside the country.

Now maybe the documentation they get from the Ministry of Education is different from MOST other private thai language schools. Most all of the private thai language schools here in Bangkok get documentation from the MOE which clearly states you need to go to a THAI EMBASSY or CONSULATE (and as there's no such animal INSIDE thailand that means going to another country).

In your post I think you might have your offices mixed up a 'bittle lit' <sic> as well . Perhaps you really meant "once they get approval from the Ministry of Education, they (as in the school) goes to Immigrations and gets you your actual 'visa stamp'.

The Ministry of Education DOESN'T issue visas, just approval (as in documentation) for you to get one. Last time I checked, once you're inside thailand only Thai Immigrations issues visas and/or extensions of stay.

Once you do get your visa, see what Immigrations office it's issued from. Also if you can make a post about it back here in your thread, it'd be good to know.

Don't panic, if the school says they can do it, well, who are you to question them? Just because no one on here has heard of it, doesn't mean that sort of animal doesn't exist, only that we haven't seen it. ..

I'll also look back in my emails and see if I can't find the school I talked to about this and who said they could do it as well.

Good Luck,

Edited by tod-daniels

Yes, there's a fee for them to do this. I really wouldn't expect them to do it for free. I mean, if I had to go out of Thailand, I would be spending on the flight, hotel, etc. Haven't paid anything yet, though. They told me I can pay after I get my passport back, as a sort of reassurance. @tod-daniels, if you can find the name of the school, I'd really appreciate it.

The immigration bureau has a standard procedure for issuing a non-immigrant visa after entry with a tourist visa or without a visa in most cases where this becomes necessary. In the past, a change to a non-ED visa for studying Thai at a private school was not possible because the MoE refused to issue the required letter addressed to the immigration office and instead gave a letter addressed to a Thai consulate. If the MoE is changing this policy, it is a welcome change.

The OP did not say at what type of institution he will be studying. For a degree course at a university, I understand that the MoE has already in the past addressed the letter authorising the visa to the immigration office and for this type of study annual extensions of stay could be obtained.

Thanks, Maestro, that clears things up.

I'm enrolled at a private language school. I'm wondering if this is a little easier outside of Bangkok. Seems the school is dealing with the immigration office in Pranburi, rather than a more central (busier) one in Bangkok. Maybe that makes a difference?

I'm enrolled at a private language school. I'm wondering if this is a little easier outside of Bangkok. Seems the school is dealing with the immigration office in Pranburi, rather than a more central (busier) one in Bangkok. Maybe that makes a difference?

In our outside Bangkok, only a university study will result in a one year extension of stay. A study at a language school will only get you extensions of 90 days.

blyish, not sure if this is something you're aware of and maybe this only muddies the waters, but Hua Hin has its own immigration office (so I don't know why Pranburi would be used) plus ED visa paperwork, (for my language course at least), is signed off by the Ministry Of Education in Pranburi.

Interested to hear how this pans out, so please keep us posted.

blyish, not sure if this is something you're aware of and maybe this only muddies the waters, but Hua Hin has its own immigration office (so I don't know why Pranburi would be used) plus ED visa paperwork, (for my language course at least), is signed off by the Ministry Of Education in Pranburi.

Interested to hear how this pans out, so please keep us posted.

Maybe I misunderstood and the director of the school was actually at the Ministry of Education then. I called her on her cell and she told me she was in Pranburi processing the papers. I assumed that was the inmigration office because we had been talking about that earlier on that day.

@Mario2008. Yes, these are 90 day extensions, not a one-year visa. I meant to say I'll keep doing extensions for a year, every 90 days.

Will report back next week, when they actually take my passport in.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I got my ED visa today. I handed in the passport this past Monday evening and got it back today with my visa stamped on it. So the school was right and it is possible to get your student visa without leaving Thailand.

ETA: I gave the passport to the school and they did everything for me. I didn't have to go to immigration.

Edited by blyish

Great news blyish. This could be very useful for many. Is this then a single entry ED visa and you've been stamped in for 90 days permission to stay?

Any chance you could detail the process (who does what and where) and perhaps name drop the school and what they charged you for everything? PM me if you prefer. The info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

TCA

Great news blyish. This could be very useful for many. Is this then a single entry ED visa and you've been stamped in for 90 days permission to stay?

Any chance you could detail the process (who does what and where) and perhaps name drop the school and what they charged you for everything? PM me if you prefer. The info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

TCA

As I understand, if you have more than 21 days stay left on a Tourist Visa, with a letter from the Ministry of Education, Bangkok Immigration can change Permit to Stay to ED, renewable every 90 days.

Edited by bapak

Will send you a PM with details, but basically, I got a big stamp (takes a whole page) that reads non-immigrant visa and then a small one for a 90-day stay. The school told me today when they gave me the passport back that on November 30th (when the 90 days are over), they can get me a 1-year visa if I want, so I don't have to go to immigration every 3 months (instead, they just send a report in every 90 days). I would have to pay 8,000 baht for that (which is the same I would pay for four 90-day stamps). I'm not entirely clear as to whether this is what immigration charges or if they added something to it. I don't really care, since it would be the same amount of money and so much more convenient.

I can't say much about the process because I really didn't do anything myself. Paid for the tuition and an extra for the service. Gave them my passport late on Monday and today I got it back with the stamps on it. I know between Monday and today, my passport went to Bangkok and then to Pranburi. I'm guessing to the Ministry of Education and then to immigration.

As I understand, if you have more than 21 days stay left on a Tourist Visa, with a letter from the Ministry of Education, Bangkok Immigration can change Permit to Stay to ED, renewable every 90 days.

I had 10 days left on my visa. The new ED visa is valid since yesterday (September 1st).

blyish wrote:

The school told me today when they gave me the passport back that on November 30th (when the 90 days are over), they can get me a 1-year visa if I want, so I don't have to go to immigration every 3 months (instead, they just send a report in every 90 days). I would have to pay 8,000 baht for that (which is the same I would pay for four 90-day stamps). I'm not entirely clear as to whether this is what immigration charges or if they added something to it.

The immigration office's fee for an extension of stay is always 1,900 Baht, regardless of the period of extension. If your school can get you a one-year extension, you are probably not studying Thai at a private Thai language school. The total amount of 8,000 Baht is not unlike what it would cost when employing a law office like one of the sponsors of this forum to handle it for you and for all you know your school is outsourcing this task to an agency of this kind.

Incidentally, it is perfectly acceptable for you to mention here in this topic the name of the school where you are studying and the course for which you are enrolled. In the context of this topic, it won't be considered advertising.

The immigration office's fee for an extension of stay is always 1,900 Baht, regardless of the period of extension. If your school can get you a one-year extension, you are probably not studying Thai at a private Thai language school. The total amount of 8,000 Baht is not unlike what it would cost when employing a law office like one of the sponsors of this forum to handle it for you and for all you know your school is outsourcing this task to an agency of this kind.

Hua Hin Immigration will give a 1 year permission to stay stamp (for 8,000 baht) to anyone signed up for 1 year (180 hours) of study at a private language school authorised by the Ministry of Education. Obviously 400 baht more expensive than 4 x 90 day extensions at 1,900 baht a time but well worth it to avoid the hassle of extending every 3 months. 90 day reporting is of course required as normal.

UPDATE: I got my ED visa today. I handed in the passport this past Monday evening and got it back today with my visa stamped on it. So the school was right and it is possible to get your student visa without leaving Thailand.

ETA: I gave the passport to the school and they did everything for me. I didn't have to go to immigration.

What is the school and contact person... PM if you want.

Hua Hin Immigration will give a 1 year permission to stay stamp (for 8,000 baht) to anyone signed up for 1 year (180 hours) of study at a private language school authorised by the Ministry of Education. Obviously 400 baht more expensive than 4 x 90 day extensions at 1,900 baht a time but well worth it to avoid the hassle of extending every 3 months. 90 day reporting is of course required as normal.

8,000 baht? An extension of stay costs 1,900, regardles of how long. Makes you wonder :whistling:

[8,000 baht? An extension of stay costs 1,900, regardles of how long. Makes you wonder :whistling:

It does. I guess the logic is that in the "normal" course of business, all that's given out for private language school students is 90 days, regardless of length of study, so rather than present the same paperwork and pay the same 1,900 baht every 90 days, students signed up for 1 year are allowed to do it all in one "foul" swoop. "Foul" representing the additional 400 baht, or additional 6,100 baht, depending on your viewpoint.