Bruising In Newborn Thai Babies

maprao

Does anyone know the medical name for the bruising that appears on Thai babies? Its blue greenish yellow. Normally on legs. First time I saw it I was quite shocked as a “westerner” I immediately thought the worst. I saw it on several babies in Sakeo. It was then explained to me that it was quite common. I also heard from a friend who had a lot of problems with this when his baby was born in the USA. I want to do some research before my half Farang half Thai son is born. For armed is forewarned so to speak. Also any links to sites that can explain this.

Mongolian blue spots

The typical characteristics of Mongolian blue spots include:

Bluish, irregular flat patches.

They are mainly found on the back and bottom, although any area can be affected.

There is no thickening or change to the feel of the skin.

They are more common in babies from ethnic groups that have darker skin colouring, such as those with black hair and olive or darker skin.

They are harmless and become less obvious as the child grows.

They can be confused with bruises.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/b...ks?OpenDocument

This is very common and is absolutely nothing to worry about. They fade with time.

"For armed is forewarned"

Actually, it's: "forewarned is forearmed, and four-armed is half an octopus".

"YAWN" :D One could spend many hours correcting the English errors on this site. The sort of comment that might be expected from an over qualified underpaid English teacher :D . If the comment is from someone who lives in Thailand, a review of sparetime "activities" is required :o:D