Movies I Want To See

Garry

Movie - Rush.

From IMDB: The merciless 1970s rivalry between Formula One rivals James Hunt and Niki Lauda.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1979320/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Not being a racing fan, I wasn't sure about it.
I didn't have high expectations about it going in, but I have

to say I really enjoyed this one.

Directed by Ron Howard there are good perfomances all round.

A solid 7.5 for me.

• Like 2

Most readers on here probably shun kids' movies. But some kids movies are so well made, they appeal to some adults.

I just saw two newly minted ones, and both were great:

Lego Movie

Peabody and Sherman Movie.

I saw them in theaters in the US, The 2nd one in 3-D with glasses. My 1st 3D movie. I'm old enough to remember watching Peabody and Sherman - as parts of Rocky and Bullwinkle Show. Also, I and my brothers played with Legos when they first came out. We called them 'bricks' ....and that was before they had little circle shapes within the rectangles, underneath.

For those of you who have a penchant for foreign movies and don't mind subtitles

(I know you're out there), I can recommend Jagten AKA The Hunt.

http://www.imdb.com/...6/?ref_=nv_sr_1

From IMDB: A teacher lives a lonely life, all the while struggling over his son's custody. His life slowly gets better as he finds love and receives good news from his son, but his new luck is about to be brutally shattered by an innocent little lie.

It has won a heap of awards and I can see why.

A real compelling and powerful drama.

Highly recommended.

Speaking of foreign language movies with subs watch out for Troll Hunter

[media][media]

Excellent film.

Well I watched it. Kind of like the Blaire Witch Project film.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

A movie I have just seen advertised: Lucy

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2872732/?ref_=nv_sr_6

An involuntary drug mule, with a surgically implanted cargo, is assaulted causing the package to leak. This leads to her slowly ramping up the percentage of her brain she can use, resulting in abilities people dream about.

Director: Luc Besson

Writer: Luc Besson

Stars: Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman, Analeigh Tipton

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Edited by Garry

A blast from the past last night, I watched Stalag 17 from 1953.

5 minutes into it I started reaching for the remote but then became involved in what was quite an interesting movie.

Otto Preminger as a camp commandant!

Several future POW movies/TV shows stole from it quite shamelessly, The Great Escape and Hogans Heroes for starters

5 minutes into it I started reaching for the remote but then became involved in what was quite an interesting movie.

Several future POW movies/TV shows stole from it quite shamelessly, The Great Escape and Hogans Heroes for starters

G,Day Mate

have a look at this one ...

http://www.nytimes.com/movies/movie/21093/Gulag/overview

Maybe just wasting my time with this , but maybe someone will enjoy movies over 70 years old.

cowboys with ray guns 1935

https://archive.org/details/GhostPatrol

here is the site for all very old movies .

https://archive.org/search.php?sort=title&query=%28collection%3Afeature_films%20OR%20mediatype%3Afeature_films%29%20AND%20-mediatype%3Acollection%20AND%20firstTitle:G

• Like 1

G,Day Mate

Sounds worth a look.

I'll put my order in. cool.png

G,Day Mate

Sounds worth a look.

I'll put my order in. cool.png

Mate

It is a good movie even though it is 1985 , which to me isnt old , it is still very expensive to buy $35 from Aus. Had to find .

Captain America The Winter Soldier

Fans of the first film, I'm sure, will love it and will stay " if in the know" for the two sequences that arrive during, and at the end of the final credits. Others, like myself, may wish they had left after the first 20 minutes.

IMBD rated this film a 8.3 ... I wont tell you my rating... But heh, everyone has a different view . That whats makes talking about film is so interesting

Watched World War Z last night.

I'm not usually into zombie movies but I enjoyed this.

I thought it was well done. Well, good enough. I liked how it showed just how easily broached a closed protective area could be and what people have had to resort to, to survive.

Edited by Garry
  • Like 1

Ok, a bit late but (believe it or not) if you're into hidden history symbolism Snow White and the Huntsman is a feast.

Great costuming . . . . ie check out Snow White's dirty hands and the leather version of the Disney costume. The " Prince" is a sidebar in this ancient tale about historical truth.

All the characterizations are perfect.

Worth a look just to check out Al Swearengen playing one of the 7 dwarves.

12 years a slave was a humdinger.

Then, there's The Prestige. You'll need o watch it several times if like me you are a stickler for detail.

For series, ( First of all, they're ALL "soaps".

They're built like soaps and because ya gotta gang-watch 'me like a new movie you can get quite weary of the actors. But they're well worth the effort.

Do Beavis and Butthead intermissions.

There's hundreds of good series but the best, like Justified, House of Cards, Game of Thrones, and yes Scandal have they're own subtexts and they're own little ironies as well.

American Horror Story was excellent in Season 1 but by the end of Season 3 you could see why Jessica was returning to !Broadway. Speaking of Jessica, did a comparison of Postman Always Rings Twice. Excellent.

Same with the two Cape Fears. Brilliant work.

Elementary is just brilliant. Johnny Lee MCB Miller IS Sherlock Holmes and Lucy Liu is an all round treat.

Good writing but the crap writers will definitely slither in when they push into Season 3

The British version is pitifully scripted, uneven, uneconomical and the irritating Cumberbatch as Sherlock is just THAT.

Tim Allen is fun to watch in Last Man Standing.

Loved, just LOVED Ricky Gervais "Derek" . . . . Squirmed through Life is Short with Warrick Davis.

I am hallways happy to get recommendations for new series.

Why not learn to sync ENGLISH subs for the missus and the kids.

They're speaking skills will skyrocket.

Like collecting shells on the beach.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

• Like 1

Ok, a bit late but (believe it or not) if you're into hidden history symbolism Snow White and the Huntsman is a feast.

Great costuming . . . . ie check out Snow White's dirty hands and the leather version of the Disney costume. The " Prince" is a sidebar in this ancient tale about historical truth.

All the characterizations are perfect.

Worth a look just to check out Al Swearengen playing one of the 7 dwarves.

12 years a slave was a humdinger.

Then, there's The Prestige. You'll need o watch it several times if like me you are a stickler for detail.

For series, ( First of all, they're ALL "soaps".

They're built like soaps and because ya gotta gang-watch 'me like a new movie you can get quite weary of the actors. But they're well worth the effort.

Do Beavis and Butthead intermissions.

There's hundreds of good series but the best, like Justified, House of Cards, Game of Thrones, and yes Scandal have they're own subtexts and they're own little ironies as well.

American Horror Story was excellent in Season 1 but by the end of Season 3 you could see why Jessica was returning to !Broadway. Speaking of Jessica, did a comparison of Postman Always Rings Twice. Excellent.

Same with the two Cape Fears. Brilliant work.

Elementary is just brilliant. Johnny Lee MCB Miller IS Sherlock Holmes and Lucy Liu is an all round treat.

Good writing but the crap writers will definitely slither in when they push into Season 3

The British version is pitifully scripted, uneven, uneconomical and the irritating Cumberbatch as Sherlock is just THAT.

Tim Allen is fun to watch in Last Man Standing.

Loved, just LOVED Ricky Gervais "Derek" . . . . Squirmed through Life is Short with Warrick Davis.

I am hallways happy to get recommendations for new series.

Why not learn to sync ENGLISH subs for the missus and the kids.

They're speaking skills will skyrocket.

Like collecting shells on the beach.

I posted a review of Derek in the entertainment forum.

Didn't get the good reviews it deserved IMO.

One of the few series that can make you laugh and then

cry in a 5 minute span.

I loved it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Derek-Series-DVD-Ricky-Gervais/dp/B00BEHH08S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397346602&sr=8-1&keywords=Derek

BTW, Justified has been my favourite series for quite a while now.

Walton Goggins is amazing.

• Like 1

The extremely adept Walton Goggins has been lucky in his professional life.

His first kick at the series can in Shield saw Goggins emerge triumphant over some of the more maudlin scripting designed to keep that puppy rolling forever.

Another actor who benefited handsomely from professional exposure to Ian McShane and William Sanderson was Timothy Oliphant. The stiff and Uni-dimensional Oliphant was to adopt the quasi verbose, pseudo Shakespearian diction of Sanderson's character and the smouldering "just you fri*gin watch me* evil-mindedness of McShane's Swearengen persona when cast as the Marshal in Justified.

This series stuff is a new Visual Presentation form. Like the serialized Victorian novels of the late 1800's and early 1900's I predict that the better ones will live on. Not talking about pap like Tw@tlight or Rectify All of them seem to go through a market setup and at least a couple of toolings

But the kiss of death is when the acTORS get to write themselves into bigger parts and diversify.

These guys are NOT writers.

They can kill a series in a mere five episodes if you give them a keyboard.

Heard that Woody Harrelson had a REAL set to with the True Detective writer about where he saw stuff going.

Woody a political junkie of no mean stature saw a way to get his deal into the zeitgeist.

Woulda been quite a story to get that fancy killin' done in the posh surroundings of the local elite

BUT

I hear That's why we got a short season there.

It'll come out through the arts.

It ALWAYS comes out through the arts ;-)