Pattaya-Jomtien Immigration Office Retirement Extensions

FarangBuddha

Went to Jomtien immigration to process a retirement extension to a visa this morning and the process is getting so hassle free and efficient that one wonders if they are in a Thai government office...especially when one reads about some of the horror stories that emanate from the Bangkok and up-country offices. I was literally in and out in 20 minutes. My surprise started when I entered the door, when one of the officers at the info desk (no not one of the student assistants or the flaming queen fella) asked me what I was there to do. When told for a retirement extension, he retrieved the application, collected my supporting documents, passport, and photo and then proceeded to his desk and FILLED OUT THE FORM HIMSELF...just asking that it be signed. He then handed it over to Sergeant "Somchai" (the chubby one) who collected the fee and then passed it on back to the Captain lady at the back. She gave it the once over...handed over the ticket to pick it up tomorrow. All quite a change from the chaotic days at the old office on soi 8!

Easy-peasy and no complaints from me!

Edited by FarangBuddha
  • Like 1

They are annual extensions. That's interesting that they filled the form out for you. That's a new one to me. I suppose many non-native English speakers may need that kind of help. I would rather fill it out myself, so I hope that doesn't offend them ...

Yes, 20 minutes is about right.

How long is the Retirement visa extension for?

Once a retirement visa has been granted (valid 1 year) the following years visa is not a new visa but an extension of the original (also valid one year).

Most people don't ever get an O-A retirement visa in the first place! In Pattaya, you can start with a 30 day stamp, tourist visa, or single entry O (90 days).

Edited by Jingthing

I have no idea why people that post on forums, don't just download the forms TM 47, and TM 7 from the Internet. These forms can be easily filled out on your computer and print copies for Immigration. I have both forms and my information saved on my computer, and all I have to do is change the date on the TM 47 for the 90 day reports, and once a year on the TM 7 for the annual extension. all the Immigration offices appreciate the type written forms verses the hand written where it's always a challenge for them to read.

I live in Korat and was in and out in 15 minutes for both a 90 day report and a one year extension.

Barry

I have no idea why people that post on forums, don't just download the forms TM 47, and TM 7 from the Internet.

Probably because not all of us are Type A personalities. I prefer to fill out the forms by hand at immigration. I also reckon some offices would prefer you use their forms, sometimes I even see them stamped with an official thingie.

Good for you. I wish it was equally simple with the marriage/family extension.

Marriage and children does tend to un-simplify one's life...but at least they give you a break on the dosh required :D

Regrettably the Jomtien Office has no authority to approve such applications and they are at the mercy of the Bangkok Office who provide the many and various hoops to be jumped through before graciously granting the marriage extension. (Having first taken about 1-2 months to consider the same information that you have been providing for the past 'x' years!!) :angry: I switched to retirement as soon as I hit 50 and I reckon the reduction in stress is well worth the additional financial requirement if you can manage it.

It sounds much the same as last December when I got my retirement extension. I had to wait about 5 or 6 minutes for the policeman to finish with the customer he was dealing with, but after that the whole process took less than 10 minutes.

I went back the next day to collect the extension and get a multiple re-entry permit, but the guy issuing those seemed to be on a go-slow, and it took ages, maybe 30 or 40 minutes. Still, it's only once a year so I can survive it.

Of course, it helps keep the process sweet and simple if you've got the correct paperwork with you. I also pick up a copy of TM7 & 8 ready for the next application. Same with TM47, I prefer to fill them out in my condo at leisure.

I just did my 90 day reporting. I didn't have any supporting paperwork, other than my passport. I went around 4PM and the place was dead. Filled out the form, walked over to the desk, he stamped it and I was outta there. Easy as pie!

I did download the form, but it didn't print properly...so getting it there and filling it out took me all of 60 seconds. I even borrowed their pen!

Well Phil Conners prepare to be amazed.

Last month I went to do my annual extension renewal based on marriage, my 6th renewal. We arrived at 8.15 and the office was already open. We were given a ticket and we were second in the queue. We sat down in the new chairs they have provided since my last renewal. At 8.30 sharp, the guy in front went to the desk D to collect his visa?.

Anyway, at 8.46 it was our turn. We gave the girl who does the intial checks all our documents, she put them in order, looked at the originals, stamped everything as she usually does and we paid our 1900 Baht. We then went to the senior officer at the back of the office. She looked at our documents and asked my wife to sign a document. She wrote on my passport and said to come back on 30th September. That was it...

As we left, I looked at the clock and is was 8.57. Eleven minutes :blink:

I said to my wife that something was wrong, we went to a restaurant near the beach and had some breakfast where I spent the next 10 minutes checking the passport stamp to make sure is actually was the same as the normal stamp - really I was that amazed...:D

Beat that - an amazing service - well done Jomtien Immigration!!!!

Edited by dsfbrit

Phil, rather than start a new thread on the subject, can you tell me:

What are the benefits & advantages for a farang (re: the Thai government) when married to a Thai citizen please? Thanks a lot.

How long is the Retirement visa extension for?

Once a retirement visa has been granted (valid 1 year) the following years visa is not a new visa but an extension of the original (also valid one year).

Most people don't ever get an O-A retirement visa in the first place! In Pattaya, you can start with a 30 day stamp, tourist visa, or single entry O (90 days).

Back in April I went from 30 day stamp to retirement extension in about 10 minutes.

Can't match that speed, but this week in Bangkok I renewed my retirement visa, got multiple re entry and 90 day reporting in under 90 minutes, all hassle free.

Much better organized at the new office than last year when I did the paperwork on the first day it was open.

Thai efficiency at last.

Phil, rather than start a new thread on the subject, can you tell me:

What are the benefits & advantages for a farang (re: the Thai government) when married to a Thai citizen please? Thanks a lot.

All that I know about is

1) "marriage visa"

2) you only need a 1M baht company to support a work permit (as compared to the normal 2M).

Last month I went to do my annual extension renewal based on marriage, my 6th renewal. We arrived at 8.15 and the office was already open. We were given a ticket and we were second in the queue. We sat down in the new chairs they have provided since my last renewal. At 8.30 sharp, the guy in front went to the desk D to collect his visa?.

Anyway, at 8.46 it was our turn. We gave the girl who does the intial checks all our documents, she put them in order, looked at the originals, stamped everything as she usually does and we paid our 1900 Baht. We then went to the senior officer at the back of the office. She looked at our documents and asked my wife to sign a document. She wrote on my passport and said to come back on 30th September. That was it...

I said to my wife that something was wrong, we went to a restaurant near the beach and had some breakfast where I spent the next 10 minutes checking the passport stamp to make sure is actually was the same as the normal stamp - really I was that amazed...:D

But how much time did it take you to collect all the required paperwork? Did you have everything ready first time? If so you must be a type-A personality. I consider myself reasonably well organized but I still find every time we get to Immigration they have come up with something new that we didn't know about so one trip is rarely enough. Also, being there at 8.15 in the morning, whoah... that would require you to get up at like 7am. we're not all A-type personalities you know, if we were it would no longer be an advantage to get there that early...

same for me, i have had a marriage/family visa,for 5 years

a huge pile of document duplicated, it is all on computer,i show many things that do not change,i show chanoute,blue book,i still have to draw a map to the house,

+ many other things.

the 1 good thing is the 3 month signing,,in and out very quickly

But how much time did it take you to collect all the required paperwork? Did you have everything ready first time? If so you must be a type-A personality. I consider myself reasonably well organized but I still find every time we get to Immigration they have come up with something new that we didn't know about so one trip is rarely enough. Also, being there at 8.15 in the morning, whoah... that would require you to get up at like 7am. we're not all A-type personalities you know, if we were it would no longer be an advantage to get there that early...

Also, when you go back on 30th September will it be ready? My experience was that when you returned on the appointed date they normally just marked you on for another 2 weeks to come back again, each time filling half a page of passport with the extension stamps. Not Jomtien's fault as they were waiting on the sanction from Bangkok.

I have no idea why people that post on forums, don't just download the forms TM 47, and TM 7 from the Internet.

Probably because not all of us are Type A personalities. I prefer to fill out the forms by hand at immigration. I also reckon some offices would prefer you use their forms, sometimes I even see them stamped with an official thingie.

Hey Jing,

It is their forms you can download. They do appreciate the people that download the forms and type written. Much easier for them to read, and expedites the service. I have been doing this for years.

Barry

You are right of course - Yes I had been trawling Thai Visa several weeks before to see if anything had changed since last year. I spent about 2 hours driving to the Banglamung Amphur and waiting for the Kor Ror 2 to be be provided. Another 2 hours driving to my bank in South Pattaya and waiting for the bank statement there. The pictures I took outside the house were the exact size - on the 3rd atttempt!! I treble checked the paperwork - then checked it again. Everything was in order.

I hate going to Jomtien Immigration so spend as much time as needed beforehand to ensure I spend as little time as possible in the dreaded building itself. :D

Mind you 11 minutes - I dont think I will be in and out that quick again - quite incredible.

Also, when you go back on 30th September will it be ready? My experience was that when you returned on the appointed date they normally just marked you on for another 2 weeks to come back again, each time filling half a page of passport with the extension stamps. Not Jomtien's fault as they were waiting on the sanction from Bangkok.

You are right. Over the years I have got it first visit, but also had to go back a second time to collect it. Its the benefit of the extension based on retirement - you get it on the same day - or have to come back the next day. I would switch to the retirement extension if it weren't for the fact that in my case I would have to have 800K baht in the bank.

No idea ? Maybe I can help you :

- many old/retired guy know nothing about computers ;

- many guys don't have a computer ;

- most guys who have a computer don't have a printer ;

and more :

- many guys will refuse to pay in a cyber-cafe to print these forms that are free at immigration office.

B)

No idea ? Maybe I can help you :

- many old/retired guy know nothing about computers ;

- many guys don't have a computer ;

- most guys who have a computer don't have a printer ;

and more :

- many guys will refuse to pay in a cyber-cafe to print these forms that are free at immigration office.

B)

I prefer using their paper and not wasting my printer cartridge. Plus, it takes all of 2 minutes to fill it out. And they have a sample to follow also...

I have no idea why people that post on forums, don't just download the forms TM 47, and TM 7 from the Internet. These forms can be easily filled out on your computer and print copies for Immigration. I have both forms and my information saved on my computer, and all I have to do is change the date on the TM 47 for the 90 day reports, and once a year on the TM 7 for the annual extension. all the Immigration offices appreciate the type written forms verses the hand written where it's always a challenge for them to read.

Barry

Yes, I totally agree with the OP about how well things are run at Jomtien and also with the suggestion that downloading the forms to your computer & printing them out ahead of time makes things even more hassle-free.

I found it interesting that the fellow at the desk by the front door seems to be responsible for you having all the right forms, photocopies and pictures. He won't hand you a queue ticket for desk #6 until you have all your ducks in order. That job used to be handled by "Sergeant "Somchai" (the chubby one)" at desk #6. All he (Somchai) did was verify the forms were in correct order (he shuffled them around a bit), then handed them to the senior officer behind him. I didn't even have to have a photo taken. I could see last year's photo on the laptop computer screen, so I guess they just made sure I still looked the same?

In the past couple years, I had to answer to the senior officer whether I rented or owned my condo, and then sign a form (or two?) that was entirely in Thai. This year neither of those happened.

Getting re-entry permit was also a breeze, and the officer friendly and chipper.

It was a breeze. I noticed they all were wearing polo shirts (different colors each day), and maybe the casual attire helps with the casual attitudes?