THAI Flight Lands Safely In Los Angeles Following Bomb Threat

webfact

BOMB THREAT

Thai flight lands safely in LA following bomb threat

By The Nation, Agencies

A THAI Airways flight from Bangkok landed safely in Los Angeles following a bomb threat.

Flight TG794, which departed Bangkok at 7.30am local time had 179 passengers on board, the company said in the statement.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation and Los Angeles World Airports Authority are conducting security screening of all passengers and crew, according to the statement.

CNN reported that a threatening message was found scrawled on the lavatory mirror of the aircraft, the Transportation Security Administration said.

Thai Airways flight 794 landed safely at Los Angeles International Airport shortly before 9pm local time. It was taken to a remote area where it was met by police, the security administration said.

The plane's passengers will be rescreened, authorities said.

"Law enforcement is taking all necessary precautions to ensure the safety of the passengers and crew, and will conduct an investigation to ascertain the person or group responsible for making the threat," the airport said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-08

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there really are some <deleted> in the world - this idiot could face 5 years in prison for this shit

Should be 20 years they get...travelling used to be fun....now it is almost fear....oh how the world has changed.... hope the FBI will get the culprit and then give him/her a nice bit of water sports....ie water boarding

Edited by Phuket Stan

Does anyone know what the message said?

Great question. They seem to holding this back.

Who knows but probably along the lines of I just left a bomb in the bowl, beware!

But seriously, do people that attempt to blow up planes/buildings etc leave a warning first?

Any such message should just be wiped off by whomsoever reads it first; It can only be a lousy prank,Airlines are not being sensible. The world is full of two-neuron people trying to convince themselves they're important, some of them with jobs of responsibility.

Bad grammar--Well that means it could have been a Thai person or an American!

I hope they catch the person responsible for this. Very inconvenient for a lot of people.

I am glad, however, that it was a message and not a real bomb.

(Apologies about the grammar remark--I am an American)

I hope they catch the person responsible for this. Very inconvenient for a lot of people.

Were their any righters from The Nation on that plain? :)

Or a Thai Visa member.

Any such message should just be wiped off by whomsoever reads it first; It can only be a lousy prank,Airlines are not being sensible. The world is full of two-neuron people trying to convince themselves they're important, some of them with jobs of responsibility.

Apart from the publicity aspect airlines are probably forced by the small print in their insurance contracts to take any thread seriously. They may also be sued into bankruptcy if something happens.

Edited by rubl

Or a Thai Visa member.

BigC must of been bored :whistling:

Were their any righters from The Nation on that plain? :)

Someone with bad grammar, not someone who can't spell.

Thai plane in LA bomb scare, but no credible threat

LOS ANGELES (AFP) -- US police searched a Thai Airways airliner at Los Angeles International Airport late Tuesday after it landed following a bomb warning, but no credible threat was found on board, the FBI said.

Amid jitters days ahead of the anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the jet was taken to a remote part of the airport where nearly 200 passengers and crew exited and bomb squad police boarded, said a Federal Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman.

A written threat saying there was a bomb on board was found in a lavatory, she said. Passengers and crew of the plane were interviewed after it landed, she added.

"Investigators who conducted a thorough search of the aircraft, including passenger luggage and cargo, found no evidence to suggest there is a credible threat to the aircraft," said FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller.

"Procedures to render the aircraft and its contents safe were conducted by FBI and (LA police) bomb technicians and canine handlers. An investigation to identify the person/s responsible for making the threat is continuing."

The incident comes amid heightened security ahead of the ninth anniversary Saturday of the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon on Washington.

A spokeswoman for police at the airport said they were notified at 7:15 pm (0215 GMT Wednesday) of the alleged threat to Thai Airways Flight 794, which landed at 8:45 pm, on schedule.

Eighteen fire trucks and fire engines were placed on standby at the airport before the plane landed, a Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman said.

In a statement, Thai Airways said the plane was carrying 179 passengers and crew. The FBI spokeswoman told AFP she understood nearly 200 people were on board.

According to Thai press, the bomb threat emerged while the aircraft was in flight.

The Bangkok Post, citing an airline official, said "a member of the cabin crew found a message written on a mirror in a toilet saying that a bomb was hidden on the plane."

In Bangkok, Thai government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said there was as yet no information to link the bomb threat to domestic politics or to the recent US extradition battle for alleged Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout.

"We still have no information on the cause of the threat and we are still checking whether a Thai or foreign passenger wrote the message," he said.

Panitan added that the incident was unlikely to affect Thai Airways' business.

A series of grenade attacks in the Thai capital in recent weeks has rattled nerves in a city still under emergency rule after anti-government "Red Shirt" protests in April and May in which 91 people died and about 1,900 were injured.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-09-08

Apart from the publicity aspect airlines are probably forced by the small print in their insurance contracts to take any thread seriously. They may also be sued into bankruptcy if something happens.

Really? Does Thai Laws permit suing a bankrupt company twice? :D