Any Reasonably Priced Places To Eat Left In Phuket?

pmgthailand

I recently decided to check out the sandwich shop near Laguna, Bake. I can only say that I walked in and looked at the prices, then walked out. It was going to cost me more than €8 euros for a basic sandwich and a coffee. What a rip off Phuket is becoming for dining out. Maybe they pay their staff very well and this is the reason for the high prices?

:annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go to the sandwich shop and they have very good sandwiches on nice bread. The foot long is enough for 2 meals though I eat all and with cheese and 3 meats its 299baht. It is the same price as a sandwich of that caliber in the states. I should say they definitely use premium meats, not of the 7-11 variety you'd find on cheaper sandwiches.

A footlong at subway before extras is around 200Baht, on crap bread with a few slivers of meat.

Edited by BillR

I hear what you are saying, good quality but I just won't pay that much for a sandwich in Thailand. It is the principal. Restaurants are just getting too expensive here in Phuket. And most have now adopted this + 10% service and + 7% tax. This is a major con, as the staff very rarely get this money and people don't tip because they feel that they already have, and tax is not always paid in Thailand? A friend told me this of one of the places that she worked.

But at least you have the choice.. I am baffled how normal salary Thais are getting by.

Theres a (very busy) noodle stall by us.. 2 plain gwie tiow noodle soups and 2 ice teas. 120 baht.. A bowl of that soup isnt a meal, its a snack.. And at close to 2.50 GBP for a couple of snacks you just wonder how Thais on 8 maybe 12k a month get by. Another local Thai place for Thais, most of the 'simple' dishes are 80 - 120 baht, plus the rice, etc etc. This isnt a cooked fish or something just regular dishes.

Its easy for us, we can just scratch our heads and pay it.. But Thai salaries must be making it real tough.

Farang restaurant next to Index, most courses less than 100 baht

The train station at Tesco Lotus, just had pork chops at 99 baht. and Cordon Bleu at 99 baht

Black Canyon

Steak house opposite C-Cube (Meguir detailing Center) in town

Subway todays special is 69 baht every day.

Sandwiches are expensive in LOS, all processed meat is, hard to find stuff like olives and jalapenos. Pork tenderloin cost 120 baht/kg, ham costs more than double. Not to mention roastbeef and turkey.

M&M you still get wonderfull quattro stagione pizza at 220 baht

Edit

There are so many more, Sizzler at Central, 179? baht for pork steak and unlimited salad buffet

Edited by katabeachbum

But at least you have the choice.. I am baffled how normal salary Thais are getting by.

Theres a (very busy) noodle stall by us.. 2 plain gwie tiow noodle soups and 2 ice teas. 120 baht.. A bowl of that soup isnt a meal, its a snack.. And at close to 2.50 GBP for a couple of snacks you just wonder how Thais on 8 maybe 12k a month get by. Another local Thai place for Thais, most of the 'simple' dishes are 80 - 120 baht, plus the rice, etc etc. This isnt a cooked fish or something just regular dishes.

Its easy for us, we can just scratch our heads and pay it.. But Thai salaries must be making it real tough.

They get buy because they eat stuff like the little bags of beef or whatever flavored noodles for 6B a meal. Similar to the 22cent Top Ramen we ate to survive in college back home.

80-120B? Really? I know lots of places which still do a good chicken friend rice or similar simple dishes for 30B.

They get buy because they eat stuff like the little bags of beef or whatever flavored noodles for 6B a meal. Similar to the 22cent Top Ramen we ate to survive in college back home.

80-120B? Really? I know lots of places which still do a good chicken friend rice or similar simple dishes for 30B.

I realize many people exit of mama noodle 5 baht packs.. But these businesses are catering to (and packed out in the case of the noodle stall) Thais.

I wonder if its not some economic overspill from Patong effecting the Kathu market prices.

Doesn't Samkong Steak have an outlet outside of Villa Market also? What I do to find/identify new places to eat is to look at the proportion of Thai to foreigners at any given eatery. If there's a good percentage of both, chances are it's reasonable and tasty.

I highly doubt anyone should be asking if there are any cheap places for Western food after coming out of Bake in Laguna.

As Kata Beach Bum has pointed out, there are plenty and they're all over; you've just got to stop going to Laguna for a cheapish meal.

-Roxy bar in Phuket Town has a variety of dishes for under 150 THB.

-Yorkshire Hotel has the best bacon rashers on the island-expensive but worth every satang

-P Pizza House near Samkong Shrine has got very cheap western dishes.

-Kanasutra now has a satellite stall in Central's food festival.

-The restaurant behind Sofa bar in Town is absolutely excellent and reasonably priced

-La Romantica does decent Italian

-Fatty's is and always will be good value for the food

-Villa Market has great sandies in their deli.

-Happy Days in Chalong does great food (we miss Aaron though)

There are more, but I suppose that's enough for now...

I highly doubt anyone should be asking if there are any cheap places for Western food after coming out of Bake in Laguna.

As Kata Beach Bum has pointed out, there are plenty and they're all over; you've just got to stop going to Laguna for a cheapish meal.

-Yorkshire Hotel has the best bacon rashers on the island-expensive but worth every satang

-The restaurant behind Sofa bar in Town is absolutely excellent and reasonably priced

and Indian

Sabai Sabai in Taina road in Kata, all curies 99 baht. Wonderful Indian food and the best Nan bread in Phuket

Samkong Steak (between Vichara & Phuket Bangkok Hospitals). Steak (pork, beef, or fish), fries & salad for 69 Baht. Water from jug free.

Yeah think this is where we stopped for pork ribs a couple of times.. The idea of 69 baht 'steak' kinda made me leary of that.

either make your own sandwhich or buy a subway.. they have a few good subways combos... always 69baht for the sub of the day.

Best pre-gym food in the world.

Your training might be good but your diet sucks !!!! :huh:

Do you wash it down with a bottle of Singha..... :lol:

i work in samkong and stopped going there five years ago. the owner is a pleasant man who cares about his business but the service is shocking and the food is terrible. i'd rather eat great thai food for a similar price than try to fool my taste buds with meat that shouldn't be served to animals.

Have you tried Lim's restaurant in Kalim? For me probably the best Thai food on the island and in a very modern stylish place. They got a cool bar next door with DJ playing chilled music and a gallery of the owners art work.

Sea Bass approx 500Thb, they have a website with menu and prices.

and Indian

Sabai Sabai in Taina road in Kata, all curies 99 baht. Wonderful Indian food and the best Nan bread in Phuket

That's right! Hey it's curry night!!

>>Sea Bass approx 500Thb, they have a website with menu and prices.

I'm not quite sure this fits into the thread, "reasonably priced places to eat", but if it's that good put in the pinned favourite restaurant thread, as I give that thread a glance every few weeks to see what's newly recommended.

Doesn't Samkong Steak have an outlet outside of Villa Market also? What I do to find/identify new places to eat is to look at the proportion of Thai to foreigners at any given eatery. If there's a good percentage of both, chances are it's reasonable and tasty.

Yes Samkong Steak has an outdoor sort of place beside Villa Market, but a different menu set from their place in Phuket Town. Bit more expensive and no Thai food available.

Samkong Steak (between Vichara & Phuket Bangkok Hospitals). Steak (pork, beef, or fish), fries & salad for 69 Baht. Water from jug free.

Yeah think this is where we stopped for pork ribs a couple of times.. The idea of 69 baht 'steak' kinda made me leary of that.

Yes, I'm a bit wary of Thai sirloin at 69 baht, but the pork and fish steaks are more than Ok.

Farang restaurant next to Index, most courses less than 100 baht

The train station at Tesco Lotus, just had pork chops at 99 baht. and Cordon Bleu at 99 baht

Black Canyon

Steak house opposite C-Cube (Meguir detailing Center) in town

Subway todays special is 69 baht every day.

Sandwiches are expensive in LOS, all processed meat is, hard to find stuff like olives and jalapenos. Pork tenderloin cost 120 baht/kg, ham costs more than double. Not to mention roastbeef and turkey.

M&M you still get wonderfull quattro stagione pizza at 220 baht

Edit

There are so many more, Sizzler at Central, 179? baht for pork steak and unlimited salad buffet

I have been to the Farang restaurant many times, it is one of my favourites. Great tasting food at reasonable prices, there is one here in Cherng Talay where I live. Been to some of the others too! I really like Thai food but every once in a while you get a craving for some western style food without breaking the bank, but most Thai restaurants just aren't that good at making it. I just don't believe in paying over the top to sit in fancy surroundings, eating bland food with poor service and having to pay a 10% service charge. I don't eat out a lot because most restaurants that specialize in western style food that I have eaten in here have not been that good and I can make better meals at home. I really do like the roadside Thai restaurants, I just can't eat this all the time.

I'd recommend Sweet Restaurant in Patong. Run by an Aussie and his Thai wife. Average price only 80 Baht and you get big helpings. :)

It's located in the pedestrian walkway leading to Patong Tower off the beach road.

Haha sorry I thought seabass at 450 in a top restaurant was reasonable.

Hey I just seen a hotel advertising a free weeks stay comp. buy a main course and get a ticket for the monthly raffle. Not Bad!!!! I will eat there tonight and let you know.

>>Sea Bass approx 500Thb, they have a website with menu and prices.

I'm not quite sure this fits into the thread, "reasonably priced places to eat", but if it's that good put in the pinned favourite restaurant thread, as I give that thread a glance every few weeks to see what's newly recommended.

Plenty of little local shops in and around Phuket Town (due to my short stay the only places i know so far)

Rice, meat items, noodles, soup etc  all around 25  ~ 45B. Obvious that when sitting in a restaurant and not on garden chairs with a unstable table on the pavement/road you pay extra.

Its available, it just depends on how much you like to spend

I'd recommend Sweet Restaurant in Patong. Run by an Aussie and his Thai wife. Average price only 80 Baht and you get big helpings. :)

It's located in the pedestrian walkway leading to Patong Tower off the beach road.

We ate there last time in Patong, was good as you said the servings are quite big for the price,:)

Have you tried Lim's restaurant in Kalim? For me probably the best Thai food on the island and in a very modern stylish place. They got a cool bar next door with DJ playing chilled music and a gallery of the owners art work.

Wow I had one of my worst dining experiences there and the owner was rude. he took our order got it wrong and did not even replace the dish. For 500 baht for a fish dish you can go somewhere there is a nice view like Aqua and the owners don't join Thai visa and make one post.

Perhaps the OP should try some local Thai places? Yep I can still eat for 35 baht if I want at one Thai place that has curries over rice Or even for about 100 baht at a few others in Kata. Sounds like you are afraid to go to local places.

Afraid to go to local places? I haven't a clue what you are talking about?

This is not the only place I eat! It i just somewhere I think is very good food and at a reasonable price. Unfortunate you had a bad experience there.

Yes I do eat from street vendors etc today had noodles with seafood 45thb

Haven't tried Acqua yet, have heard good reports from this Italian restaurant but was told it was expensive?

Wow I had one of my worst dining experiences there and the owner was rude. he took our order got it wrong and did not even replace the dish. For 500 baht for a fish dish you can go somewhere there is a nice view like Aqua and the owners don't join Thai visa and make one post.

Perhaps the OP should try some local Thai places? Yep I can still eat for 35 baht if I want at one Thai place that has curries over rice Or even for about 100 baht at a few others in Kata. Sounds like you are afraid to go to local places.

I just found your previous post regarding one of your worst dining experiences, you ordered the Pomelo salad with shrimp, got shrimp but didn't want shrimp... obviously some confusion had occurred. I am not being sarcastic as I was not there and don't know the full story from either side.

You say the owner joined here and made one post? Are you referring to Monsoon71?

That member joined 2007-10-17 but waited until 2009-05-06 to advertise their restaurant??? I doubt it.

Edited by muddyhoop