Stamps From All Over The World

Esther Kaufmann

What kind of "expert" and what kind of "help" exactly?

Somebody who has knowledge of value of stamps and / or know where to turn to.

I have sorted them by country but I really not sure if at all there is a value in this stamps. There are also some from Bhutan 1983 and it seams they are quite special.

I have sorted them by country but I really not sure if at all there is a value in this stamps. There are also some from Bhutan 1983 and it seams they are quite special.

I know that there is a stamp market held in Bangkok every weekend. It seems likely that there would be professional stamp dealers there who could value a collection for a small fee. There is a system of catalogue values for stamps but the actual value that stamps and collections sell for is usually significantly less than the notional catalogue value.

Have a look at the stamps section on eBay to get a rough idea of what collections sell for.

I know that there is a stamp market held in Bangkok every weekend. It seems likely that there would be professional stamp dealers there who could value a collection for a small fee. There is a system of catalogue values for stamps but the actual value that stamps and collections sell for is usually significantly less than the notional catalogue value.

Have a look at the stamps section on eBay to get a rough idea of what collections sell for.

Thanks a lot. I was already looking at eBay but its very complicated to find any good information there.

For the best assessment ,I would contact Stanley Gibbons

http://www.stanleygibbons.com/

They can do valuations & appraisals .

But if you are just wanting a "rough idea" ,it might be possible to pick up one of their old ,second hand catalogues at a Stamp Fair ,depending on the year of publication ,you can safely add on 10-15% .

It could be a laborious task though ,as each individual stamp has its own value.

Value is enhanced on a "First Day Cover" (letter issued the stamps & franked on the first day of issue) or if the stamps are bordered by a colour perimeter ,making it a mini commemorative issue.

I don't know by what percentage this increases the value,but it highly sought after by collectors.

Moved to Pattaya forum.

Dear Stamps from all over The World,

I am now retired and have been collecting stamps since I was 8 years old! I have all the world reference books and can value the stamps for you at no charge as I enjoy it! The problem is I am in Chiang Mai and I do need to see the real thing. If acceptable you could post them to me and allow me a few days and I will return them and tell you what is of value, if anything.

Cambridge.

• 4 weeks later...

The Thai Philatelic Society recommends these shops, all located near the GPO on Charoen Krung Rd in Bangkok. Their expertise would primarily be with Thai issues, but they would probably have a wider range of catalogues available. If the stamps are still on cover (i.e. you have the complete envelope with undamaged stamps and good clean postmarks) that would enhance their interest to collectors.

First Day Covers are not necessarily worth much for recent issues since some country's post offices churn them out as fast as they can print them. However, if the stamps are just on bits of paper roughly torn off envelopes with illegible postal markings, they probably qualify as kiloware which, as the name implies, are sold in bags of 1 or 2 kilograms for a few hundred baht per bag.

THE GPO WEEKEND BOURSE Location: In front of the General Post Office, 1160 Charoen Krung Road Map Grid: G-6 Hours: Sat-Sun only 0900-1700. Some dealers start leaving around 3:00PM. Almost 20 stamp dealers operate from an open-sided tent erected in the parking lot in front of the GPO on New Road every weekend. Sales start at 0900 or earlier but many of the dealers don't arrive until near noon. Each dealer has his material spread out on a table and there are usually plenty of chairs so you can sit down and go through their stock books and boxes of covers and souvenir sheets. For those who like classical Thai stamps and postal history, pay a visit to Kitti Damrongvadhana, who has a large and interesting stock together with a vast knowledge of the subject. He also speaks excellent English, German and French. This is a must stop, not only because of the large number of dealers here but also because many of them do not have stores where you can visit them.

A.A. NUPHILA Location: 1164-66 Charoen Krung Road, just to the right as you leave the GPO compound. Map Grid: G-6 Mail: A. A. Nuphila, 1164-66 New Road, Bangkok 10500, Thailand Email: [email protected] Hours: Monday-Saturday 1000-1830, closed on Sundays. Tel: 237-1105, 236-9976 Fax: 237-8154 This store is operated by J. Thana and his wife, both of whom speak excellent English. This is probably the most spacious and best organized stamp store in Bangkok. In addition to stamps and related items, they also deal in currencies and silver objects from the Thai hill tribes. The store is located less than a minutes walk from the GPO.

ORIENTAL STAMP CENTER (BURAPHA STAMPS) Location: 1196 New Road, very near to the GPO Mail: Oriental Stamp Center, 1196 Charoen Krung Road, Bangkok 10500, Thailand Map grid: G-6 Hours: Mon-Sat 0930-1730 Tel/Fax: 233-8477 This is another of the five postage stamp stores located within 1-2 minutes walk from the GPO. In addition to Thai and worldwide stamps, they sometimes have packets of Thai kiloware which I have found to be of particularly good quality. They also sell seashells and mounted butterflies. Their magazine advertising and business cards make use of both names, Oriental Stamps and Burapha Stamps.

SIO SIAH KEE STAMP AND COIN SHOP Location: 1216 Charoen Krung Road Hours: Monday – Saturday ? (closed Sunday) Veerachai Smitasin and his father have operated this shop for many years. His father officially retired in 1997, but can be seen in the shop most days. Veerachai has produced two of the finest Thai/English books on Thai coins and banknotes. He speaks excellent English

HOBBY STAMPS Location: 427 Charoen Krung Soi 43 Map grid: G-6 Mail: Hobby Stamps, 427 Charoen Krung Soi 43, Si Phraya, Bang Rak, Bangkok 10500, Thailand Hours: Monday-Sunday. Sometimes closed on weekdays – no set schedule. Tel: 02-266-2969-70 or hand phone 01-868-8822 To get to Hobby, exit the GPO compound to the left. Walk to the first soi. There is a crosswalk across Charoen Krung to your right. Cross the street at this crosswalk. Go around the corner of soi 43. Hobby Stamps is about the third shop on the right. L. KIM GUAN Location: 1142 Charoen Krung (New) Road Mail: L. Kim Guan, G.P.O. Box 25, Bangkok, 10501, Thailand Map grid: G-6 Hours: Mon-Fri 0900-1730, Sat 0900-1500 Tel: ................ This shop had been on Silom Road for many years but in recent years it moved to the GPO area. It is in the same block of stores that Leng Stamps is located. This store was established in 1927 and so is one of the oldest stamp dealers in the city. They don't have nearly as much stock these days as in past years but they can still produce some hard to find items.

S. SURACHAI COINS AND STAMPS Location: 1143 Charoen Krung Road, opposite the GPO Map Grid: G-6 Mail: S. Surachai Coins & Stamps, G.P.O. Box 1574, Bangkok, 10501, Thailand Tel: 234-0836 This store is located directly across the street from the GPO but, as the name implies, they are more into coins than stamps. They have a rather limited English-language capability.

LENG STAMPS Location: Charoen Krung Road, near the GPO Mail: Leng Stamps, G.P.O. Box 1214, Bangkok 10501, Thailand Map grid: G-6 Hours: open Mon-Tue, Thu-Sat, 0930-1700. Tel: 233-3178; Fax: 234-6407 This is another of the five postage stamps stores located within 1-2 minutes walk from the GPO. Leng moved back to his original location on Charoen Krung from the Si Phraya Road location a couple of years ago. It's occasionally difficult to get anyone to pay attention to you in this store as often only the owner is in attendance and he's usually quite patient and painstaking with whatever customer he is dealing with at the time. But collectors interested in kiloware should definitely not pass this place up. They sell two kilogram bags (4.4 lbs.) of Thai definitive kiloware for only 150 baht ($6), and they also have commemorative stamp kiloware at higher prices. You'll probably see bags of the kiloware in the window displays on either side of the entrance to the store. In addition to worldwide stamps, these folks also deal in telephone cards and currency items. They also have what is probably the largest selection of Thai FDC's of any dealer in Bangkok. Store is run by Khun Chotchuang Satjaphraeophan, who speaks very little English. However, his son and daughter are usually present and speak excellent English.

BEST STAMPS Location: The Mall in Bang Kapi, Lat Phrao Road, 3rd floor Map Grid: E-14 Mail: Best Stamps, The Mall Bangkapi, 3rd floor, Lat Phrao Road, Bangkok 10240, Thailand Hours: Tuesday-Friday 1030-2000, Saturday-Sunday 1000-2000 Tel: 734-1878 Fax: 734-1879 Vichit Eurtivong, who publishes one of the better Thai stamp catalogs, is the owner of this store which opened on August 5, 1994. This is a store well worth visiting even though it is located rather distant from the downtown Bangkok area. It is large and very orderly and Vichit stocks any number of Thai stamp rarities. You'll be amazed at the numerous full sheets of overprints and other early Thai stamps that he has on display. He also deals in foreign stamps, albums and other collecting accessories, coins, telephone cards, etc. Take a taxi to "The Mall in Bang Kapi" or, if you take a bus watch the Soi numbers along Lat Phrao Road and get off between Sois 117 and 119. The mall is across Lat Phrao Road from these sois. The blue #15 (or sometimes a double, articulated white bus #514) air conditioned bus can be taken from Silom near the New Road intersection or from World Trade Center. It also goes by Fortune Town on the way. The store fronts on the ground floor of the mall are, in order, Swensen's, Calico Jack's Fast Seafood, Macdonald's, Dunkin Donuts, KFC, and a Popeye's. Enter the Dunkin Donuts, continuing straight through it and into the mall. (These shops may change from time to time. Please forward any observations to Webmaster.) Take the nearest escalator up two more floors to the 3rd floor. As you come off the escalator, go left and Best stamps is about 200 feet down on the right. Both Vichit and his wife Benchamat speak excellent English. Mr. STAMPS Perapol Raimathurapong has a few showcases in the 3rd floor aisle of Central Pin Klao Department Store on the Thonburi side of the river. You can reach Central Pin Klao on the #511 air conditioned bus which runs up Sukhumvit, past World Trade Center, down Phetchaburi to Ratchadamnoen, then across the river. Mailing address: P.O. Box 34, Phra Pin Klao Post Office, Bangkok 10705 Cell Phone 01-447-5456 e-mail – [email protected]