Where I Can Found Thai Cooking School On Koh Samui For A Good Price?

Hello!

i plan,to visit a thai cooking school ,for around one week

at the moment i found this on google

Sitca

but over 50000 bath is over my budget

i looking for cooking school,near mea nam,or bor phut beach,can also be private,must not be in the group!

any ideas?

thanks for your help!

Edited by Rooo
url removed

I am pretty certain there is one in Maenam between Soi 4 (traffic lights) & Soi 5 on the right side heading to Nanthon.... (Sign that says cooking classes) just up from 7-11...

Also seen a sign towards Bopout on right hand side...(cannot remember exactly where)

Just stop in and ask on price.... 5000 baht does seems a bit high!

In my opinion Sitca is the best option on the island, you may try other hotels in the areas mentioned, if memory serves me well, World Resort also offers or offered cooking classes.

Edited by Rooo
url removed

In my opinion Sitca is the best option on the island

Agreed! I did one of their afternoon courses and it was a lot of fun as well as highly educational. One way of off-setting the cost is that you get to eat the meal you have cooked upstairs in a restaurant type environment and can invite friends over to join you for dinner. The volume of food is enough to feed 3 people. Unless of course they are Thai, in which case enough for 2.:lol:

Edited by Rooo
url removed

52k for a week... Ouch!

I wonder if the prices are different for Thais and non-Thais.

TheWalkingMan

i think it was 5000 not 50 k. If u r right then i think the price is definatly different for thai's anyway. most thais can cook all thai food anyway. don't think they would fork out 50 k for something their family could teach them.

if u r right i will give u a discount my wofe can teach u for 40 k.

deal ???

I'm one of those strange people that writes for local mags and over the last 2 years I've sat-in on and reviewed maybe 20 cooking schools around the island.

SITCA used to offer one dish for about 350 baht - that was 3 years back. Not sure if they do this today. They had two menus- one for amateurs and the other offering a range of pro chef courses. Used to be that you could do a dish a day for 350 baht.

The other school is 'ProChef' at Destination Resort close to Big Buddha. Same deal again - geared to catch the money from pros but offering classes for amateur cooks too - about the same cost.

I've spotted a couple of Thai restaurants (mentioned in your replies) - one is opposite soi 5 in Mae Nam (advertised as 'NO MSG Cooking Class') and the other is from Big Sonja's bakery also in Mae Nam - but you'd need to check that out for cost and also find out WHO will be teaching you. Tetchy Germans do not make the best Thai chefs.

But just about every single resort on this island is offering a class too. Mostly these are expensive. More to the point is that very few of them are geared/able to actually know how to teach. They slap a 'class' together and it's over in an hour and you get a free apron.

The best classes to my mind offer a long trip to a local market with a Thai chef who can speak good English and who is happy to talk about the ingredients and explain what each one does. You need to add to that the teaching style. Most places simply give you all the bits cut and ready and say 'follow what I do'. There are only a couple that provide you with notepads so that you can jot things down and also encourage questions. Used to be a couple of classes that lasted all day and even included making you grind the curry paste, but I think the chefs have moved on now.

You need to keep in mind that it is one thing for a chef to KNOW how to cook Thai food and quite another thing for him to be savvy enough to be able to be a teacher too. 9 out of 10 resort classes I've sat in on have left me totally ignorant afterwards - I wouldn't be able to make a dish if you paid me!

These classes run to about 1,000 baht for 3 dishes on average, but some are double this.

If you are everso nice to me I will go back through all the reviews I have written to dig outthe 2 or 3 that were good and cheap(er) too!

Cheers!

Rob

"one is opposite soi 5 in Mae Nam (advertised as 'NO MSG Cooking Class')"

This is at Arun restaurant, Khun Su. I haven't taken her cooking class but am a fan of her and the restaurant. She lived in Australia for years where (I was told by a friend, never confirmed it with her) she had her own Thai restaurants and also taught at a local college - I assume she taught Thai cuisine. Her English is excellent, as is her food, so I would certainly recommend you give her a try. Fairly certain the price will be fair as well.

good,thx for information,have this schools in maenam/borphut,also website,then i can call them?

50000 bath are 1100€,thats for 6 days,maybe i can join 50 normal thai course for this price,we will see,i want to try it:)

50 000 baht for 6 days. u could hire a chef to cook for u for 1 year with that money. you can even watch them and pick it up at the same time.

"one is opposite soi 5 in Mae Nam (advertised as 'NO MSG Cooking Class')"

This is at Arun restaurant, Khun Su. I haven't taken her cooking class but am a fan of her and the restaurant. She lived in Australia for years where (I was told by a friend, never confirmed it with her) she had her own Thai restaurants and also taught at a local college - I assume she taught Thai cuisine. Her English is excellent, as is her food, so I would certainly recommend you give her a try. Fairly certain the price will be fair as well.

maybe i might go to this 1 if her engish is good maybe she can teach me how to spell at the same time :D

• 2 weeks later...