Review: A Good Box Wine

TongueThaied

"A Good Box Wine." First, let me filter the readers. I understand that "a good box wine" is an oxymoron. However, all things are relative and this is Thailand. I've had my share of fine wines, but those days are over for me. This thread is for those struggling to find a decent (using the term loosely) red table wine in Thailand that do not have an unlimited bankroll. If you fancy yourself an oenophilic wine snob and have a wad of cash to back yourself up, please read no further; this thread is not for you.

I live in Phitsanulok, where the pickings are slim. Box wines are only available at Makro and Lotus. I shop Makro, as the Lotus here has pretty much terminated all the "farang specialties." Okay, I was previously alternating between the Mont Clair "Red Celebration," 5 liter, which cost 950 ThB (equivalent to a bottle cost of 142 ThB), and the Tavernello "Sangiovese Rubicon," 3 liter, which cost 750 ThB (equivalent to a bottle cost of 188 ThB). The Mont Clair, though a little rough sufficed for a daily red table wine. I have had much worse "two buck Chuck" bottles in the States. The Tavernello was better, though as Sangiovese's go, it rates towards the bottom, which is the reason for alternating with the Mont Clair.

A couple of months ago, Makro began stocking a Charles House Cabernet Sauvignon, 3 liter (Chile), which cost 790 ThB (equivalent to a bottle cost of 198 ThB). I tried it and was pleasantly surprised. It actually tastes like a cabernet and stands head and shoulders above the Mont Clair and the Tavernello. Now let me be clear: This is still a box wine. I do not claim to place it in a league with premium bottled wines. But it is a dam_n nice red wine for daily consumption at what, for Thailand, is a reasonable price.

A side note. I have always been a believer in drinking red wine at room temperature and have tried to do so here. However, room temperature here is somewhere between very warm and downright hot, which was not what was meant by "room temperature" for wine. Refrigerating wine always seemed like sacrilege. However, several months back, somebody on TV recommended refrigerating the wine, then pouring it into a carafe to come up to "room temperature' as it opens. This method works beautifully. I drink the wine at 65-75 F, and it is much better than either cold or hot. So whoever posted that, thanks. Box wine likes to "open," too. Putting it into a carafe for 30 minutes or so before drinking definitely improves the body and flavor.

Okay, now all you oenophilic wine snobs can go for my throat for suggesting a box.

A very well balanced review, recognising the difficulties of finding palatable wine in Thailand at palatable prices.

I too considered it sacrilege to do anything other with red wine than leave it to find room temperature. I have been with someone who once told a decent hotel in the UK to take their bottle of red wine and give it 10 seconds in the microwave ! However, I shall now certainly be trying your suggestion.

We also sell wine by the glass or carafe and found CoretAntica rosso -a vino da Tavola. was buying at 850 Bt for 5 litres but Makro are now up to 980 Bt. Fortunately, I managed to acquire 12 x 5 litres when the new Pattaya store hada promotion at 790 Baht !

Good review, thanks, I need to try the Charles House box. Refrigerating red wine in Thailand is a necessity, just do it. Red wine too warm is worse than red wine too cold. As you discovered it will become warm quickly enough in this tropical environment.

Good review, thanks, I need to try the Charles House box. Refrigerating red wine in Thailand is a necessity, just do it. Red wine too warm is worse than red wine too cold. As you discovered it will become warm quickly enough in this tropical environment.

In Makro Pattaya you can get the Charles House red wines in bottles also, more expensive than by the box but maybe a better taste?

We also sell wine by the glass or carafe and found CoretAntica rosso -a vino da Tavola. was buying at 850 Bt for 5 litres but Makro are now up to 980 Bt. Fortunately, I managed to acquire 12 x 5 litres when the new Pattaya store hada promotion at 790 Baht !

Our Makro here in Phit'lok does not have that one. I will sure look for it next time I am in BKK. Thanks! Over the years, I have always had good luck with Italian wines. I have never had one so bad I simply could not drink it. Not so with both California and French wines. And 980 for five is better than 790 for three.

If I see it, I'll give that Charles a try.

Another Italian boxed wine that's adequate is Cantine Ronco - 950 baht for five litres. Found in our local little farang friendly shop, but haven't seen it in local Tescos.

The best cask wine (wine industry euphemism for 'box wine') I've found in Thailand is De Bortoli. You may not see it in P'lok, but if you speak to the manager at Tesco, etc, they should be able to order it from one of their distributors. Much better than the Charles, for my palate.

Peter Vella isn't bad either but not as good as De Bortoli. Here's a thread on De Bortoli that ran in the Bangkok forum. Further comments on temperature as well!

I bet half the restaurants I go to are using Montclair boxes as their house wine. And they are charging absurd markups. 200 baht a glass. 500 baht a half liter. Annoys the hel_l out me......

Yeah Yeah, I should go to classier restaurants........

Our Makro here in Phit'lok does not have that one. I will sure look for it next time I am in BKK. Thanks! Over the years, I have always had good luck with Italian wines. I have never had one so bad I simply could not drink it. Not so with both California and French wines. And 980 for five is better than 790 for three.

I prefer Spanish wine over anything else.....my fav low cost spanish wine is...Torres Sangre de Toro(bull)....now if i could find that here...yummy

• 2 weeks later...

Have had a few of the Mont Clair and decided to change to an Italian red called Beccaccia in Villa Market. About 1200b for the 5 litre box. It's okay, not as sweet as the Mont Clair, and leaves a clear head in the morning. Is quite full bodied though, compared to the Mont Clair.

Two Buck Chuck is way better then Mont Clair. Mont Clair red gives me a headache for the entire next day.. must be all the sulphates.

Oh yeah, im with you on that one..the mont clair gives a shocker of a hangover. :bah:

I bought the 5lt bottle once and found it developed a stale taste before i could finish the bottle..never again!

Having said that i purchased a bottle of french red (sorry,forget the name) from Vientane once and it wasnt much better.

The OP offered a great tip with the refridgerating/decantering idea...thanks, thats definately a good idea.

Actually, I find Foodland very convenient for buying wines. When they have a promotion on a certain wine you can usually test it out by buying a glass in the restaurant first.

The best cask wine (wine industry euphemism for 'box wine') I've found in Thailand is De Bortoli. You may not see it in P'lok, but if you speak to the manager at Tesco, etc, they should be able to order it from one of their distributors. Much better than the Charles, for my palate.

Peter Vella isn't bad either but not as good as De Bortoli. Here's a thread on De Bortoli that ran in the Bangkok forum. Further comments on temperature as well!

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3809577

As an Australian originally from the area near De Bortoli (in the Yarra Valley outside of Melbourne), I can confirm that their wine is pretty good so when we retire over there we will definitely keep that in mind. On a funny note though, when we first visited Thailand in 2006, we were staying in Pattaya. At a nice restaurant, they had a bottle of Oxford Landing Chardonay for 2500B (approximately $100 Australian dollars at the time). As we can still even now buy it for about $8, we decided to pass and had a bottle of French for about 1000B. Wine is not cheap in LOS, but fortunately beer and spirits are.

• 2 months later...

This is not one of my particular areas of expertise... but I do enjoy a good glass of wine round these parts without paying a fortune for the pleasure...

That said, there's an article in this week's BK Magazine online titled "Six Under 600," meaning six supposedly good varieties of bottled wine available here for under 600 baht a piece... I know it's not quite in the sub 200 baht per litre niche of the boxed varieties...

But maybe it'll be of interest, and maybe some of the wine snobs here (:D) have sampled one of them and can offer an opinion...

http://bk.asia-city....e/six-under-600