Multi Entry Visa But Failed To Leave Thailand Every 90 Days

:whistling: My Dutch friend 75 year old had a multiply visa for one year and never understood that he had to leave Thailand every 90 days. How much is the fine? He entered Thailand in March 2, 2010 and hopes to extend his stay for 15 months by leaving before the visa finished, but he didn't understand that he was supposed to cross the border every 90 days. He lives not far from Alanyaprathet. I advised him to go to the Immigratïon Office in Alanya and clear this problem up instead of going direct to the border. -so now he is wondering how ´much the Immigration will ask of him. :ermm:

THB 500 baht per day up to a maximum of THB 20,000. Your friend is already at the maximum. Some recent discussion of more severe penalties for long-term overstayers (see this thread http://www.thaivisa....or-overstayers/) but anecdotal reports appear to indicate that even 7 month overstays are just being fined and allowed to leave. These reports are almost exclusively from people departing from Suvarnabhumi by air, however - I'm not sure what sort of reception your friend would get at the Aranyaprathet/Poipet border crossing. Advisable to visit an Immigration Office beforehand.

Edited by KamnanT

Before the panic sets in, EXACTLY what type of visa does your friend have? If it's an OA (retirement) he does not have to leave every 90 days (just report to immigration).

What is the date on his entry stamp?

Could me a trip to the cooler for you, sorry I meant your friend.

My Dutch old man has a non-imm. o visa arrive march 2, 2010 :D

What is the "Admitted Until" date on his last entry stamp?

If that date has passed he is on overstay and needs to sort it out ASAP, a visit to immigration is the best thing to do. That will involve a fine of 500Baht a day to a maximum of 20,000Baht (there have been no reports yet of anyone actually being jailed for overstay) an flight out within 7 days will also likely be needed (immediate return will be fine and his existing visa will still be valid.

In the past overstay has been no big deal, although immigration are apparently clamping down on overstayers I don't see that an old chap who made a genuine error is going to have much trouble.

Hope everything works out OK.

That admitted to stay date is all important. A long stay visa is also a multi entry non immigrant O visa (but should have "A" after the "O"). If he was stamped in for a one year stay he is fine. If only for 90 days and has not departed then the fine will be imposed but expect his age will help immigration to understand why he was confused.