Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

I am selling mine in september- it will have done about 8500km then... Not sure if it is the best time, but that is the time for me to let it go...

Do you mean when is the best time as in month- or age- or distance travelled?

I just want something bigger for my birthday in september:-)

I mean in terms of mileage or should i say kilometer-age? smile.gif

I too would like to get an Ern6 or Ninja but i feel that i probably shouldn't because I'm not sure how long my company will keep me in Thailand. huh.gif

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I add quite a few miles to the clock every week and was wondering if anyone has given any thought to selling their CBR yet?

I'm wondering when people think the best time to sell is...

My guess is the CBR would be good for lots of km. If well maintained my guess is you would get 100k km before you need a major rebuild.

On the other hand I will be looking to buy one in Sept. or Oct., if you have an ABS version that has never been down.

No ABS I'm afraid, could be selling then though. I've already had people give me numbers and ask me to call them when i want to sell it.

The problem could be for some that buying 2nd hand means you have to hand over ALL the money in one go. I could afford the CBR but cant stretch to the Ern6.

For those of you with facebook accounts there is a cbr250thai group https://www.facebook...0775866152&ap=1

They are a great bunch of guys. I went on a bike tour to Hua Hin with some of them this past weekend. It was a lot of fun. I'll post some photos later. We are planning on bringing some of our expat customers on future trips. If anyone is interested in something like this, let me know.

For those of you with facebook accounts there is a cbr250thai group https://www.facebook...0775866152&ap=1

They are a great bunch of guys. I went on a bike tour to Hua Hin with some of them this past weekend. It was a lot of fun. I'll post some photos later. We are planning on bringing some of our expat customers on future trips. If anyone is interested in something like this, let me know.

If you ever make it up north I'll join.

If you ever make it down South I'll join! smile.gif

...and i'll bring the Phuket CBR club along! They're at least 20 strong! ph34r.gif

I'd be interested.

...and i'll bring the Phuket CBR club along! They're at least 20 strong! ph34r.gif

Sounds great, I'll be sure to let you know. I really enjoyed this last road trip, and plan to go on as many future trips as I can. I think I need to get in better shape though. The long rides really take a lot out of you.

Hi Kernow86 how can I join the Phuket CBR club? You can pm me.

Thank you. Thaimouse.

Hi all.

Have rented a new CBR for a few days, to try it before ordering one. Had driven a ninja 250 for a few days and liked it except seem to get pretty hot.

Few things about the CBR I noticed different, which I wanted to see if is common and just something to get used to.

- engine breaking seems much bigger than the kawa, is this because it is a single vs twin cylinder of the kawa? Hardly noticeable with the Ninja. Notice it a lot with the CBR esp in 1st and second (ie off and on accelerator) or is it that particular bike?

- Don't like the tinny sound of the engine, but it is a single cylinder and an exhaust can somewhat over come that.

Was more comfortable seat to ride on for a few hours compared to the Ninja though> Do like the smaller frame.

Any input from owners to the engine breaking thing would be great.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi all.

Have rented a new CBR for a few days, to try it before ordering one. Had driven a ninja 250 for a few days and liked it except seem to get pretty hot.

Few things about the CBR I noticed different, which I wanted to see if is common and just something to get used to.

- engine breaking seems much bigger than the kawa, is this because it is a single vs twin cylinder of the kawa? Hardly noticeable with the Ninja. Notice it a lot with the CBR esp in 1st and second (ie off and on accelerator) or is it that particular bike?

- Don't like the tinny sound of the engine, but it is a single cylinder and an exhaust can somewhat over come that.

Was more comfortable seat to ride on for a few hours compared to the Ninja though> Do like the smaller frame.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael,

There are many experts on this forum that, i'm sure will give you more detailed reasons for engine breaking shortly.

I've found that the Kwacker 250s i've seen have a higher exhaust note, comparable to a large hair dryerdry.gif and I was under the impression that the CBR is a bigger bike than the Kawa.

So which one are you gonna get?

Edited by Kernow86

Hi all.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael,

There are many experts on this forum that, i'm sure will give you more detailed reasons for engine breaking shortly.

I've found that the Kwacker 250s i've seen have a higher exhaust note, comparable to a large hair dryerdry.gif and I was under the impression that the CBR is a bigger bike than the Kawa.

Why all the talk of breaking your engines? ;) Perhaps you meant to ask about engine BRAKING? :)

Hi all.

Thanks,

Michael

The internal gearing is lower to extract more torque.

Ninja gear ratios

1st 2.600 (39/15)

2nd 1.789 (34/19)

3rd 1.409 (31/22)

4th 1.160 (29/25)

5th 1.000 (27/27)

6th 0.893 (25/28)

Final Reduction Ratio 3.214 (45/14)

Honda gear ratios

1-speed 3.333

2-speed 2.118

3-speed 1.571

4-speed 1.304

5-speed 1.115

6-speed 0.963

Reduction gear ratio (primary, secondary) 2.808 / 2.714

If you subtract the difference between first and second gear you will see there is a very large difference between the two bikes, and the answer to your question.

Ninja 2.600 - 1.789 = 0.811

CBR 3.333 - 2.118 = 1.215

Hi all.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Why all the talk of breaking your engines? ;) Perhaps you meant to ask about engine BRAKING? :)

Smart arse.

Hi all.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Awesome post mate. Aren't you a great contribution to the board. Bit bored are we? Typo's happen. You'll live.

New exhaust fitted, triangular stainless steel bought from https://www.facebook.com/praram2bikes for 5900 baht.

The previous one I had was sent back. It was fine for 1500kms without the baffle but VERY loud so I inserted the baffle but it was too small and after only 5mins it got so hot the carbon melted :(

But he replaced it with this one plus a new chain so happy days, so far so good and, although not as loud as the previous one, it has a nice growl! :)

Hi all.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael,

CBR feels noticeably smaller to me. I'm assuming that the cbrs exhaust is quite restricted and hence the quite horrible note. I'm sure freeing up the exhaust will help a lot.

another thing I noticed today, suspension on the cbr is firmer than the ninja. Not that I mind as my car (which I have to sell) has had coilovers for a while, so used to a firmer ride. Torque is nice tho on the cbr.

Probably end up with the cbr. The engine braking I will get used to. Just was curious if others noticed it with their bikes.

Few other reasons, Cost (ninja just didn't feel worth the extra money), feels more agile in traffic, parts and mods will be cheaper and more available and seat is better, although the riding position of the kawa is a bit more upright. Current pricing I have been told with abs is 129k, but 2 month wait. :( oh well.

Hi all.

Thanks,

Michael

Ninja gear ratios

1st 2.600 (39/15)

2nd 1.789 (34/19)

3rd 1.409 (31/22)

4th 1.160 (29/25)

5th 1.000 (27/27)

6th 0.893 (25/28)

Honda gear ratios

1-speed 3.333

2-speed 2.118

3-speed 1.571

4-speed 1.304

5-speed 1.115

6-speed 0.963

If you subtract the difference between first and second gear you will see there is a very large difference between the two bikes, and the answer to your question.

Expanding on what has been posted.

One needs to simply look at the numbers and realise that the ratio is how many times the engine turns for each revolution of the rear tyre. However, the engine revs travel through the primary reduction, gear, and final reduction. So in first gear with the Honda you have 2,808 * 3,333 * 2,714 = 25,400. I.E., if your tyre rotates one time your engine has to rotate 25,4 times. The Ninja has 3,087 * 2,600 * 3,214 = 25,796. Or the tyre has to turn the engine over 25,8 times for each revolution off throttle. Obviously the bigger number takes a greater toll on the rear tyre to perform.

Doesn't seem like much does it? The Ninja also has a neat little trick up its sleeve; dual throttle bodies. Same reason that 4 valves allow more air into the engine; dual throttle bodies will allow more air in also (even having the same diameter added together the benefits of greater edge space allows them to permit more air through). If we say that both the bikes have 5% opening at full throttle the 38mm throttle body of the CBR will have an opening of (192 * pi * 0,05) 56,71mm2 versus the Ninja's (142 * pi * 0,05 * 2) 61,58mm2. The engine not receiving fuel nor spark in either bike will act like a big vacuum pump. The 23% bigger opening on the Ninja will less the effect.

In second the Ninja only spins its engine (3,087 * 1,789 * 3,214) 17,750 times for each revolution of the rear tyre. The CBR has to spin its engine (2,808 * 2,118 * 2,714) 16,141 times for each revolution of the rear tyre. The difference is still not greater than the difference in throttle body openings though..

One needs to simply look at the numbers and realise that the ratio is how many times the engine turns for each revolution of the rear tyre. However, the engine revs travel through the primary reduction, gear, and final reduction. So in first gear with the Honda you have 2,808 * 3,333 * 2,714 = 25,400. I.E., if your tyre rotates one time your engine has to rotate 25,4 times. The Ninja has 3,087 * 2,600 * 3,214 = 25,796. Or the tyre has to turn the engine over 25,8 times for each revolution off throttle. Obviously the bigger number takes a greater toll on the rear tyre to perform.

Doesn't seem like much does it? The Ninja also has a neat little trick up its sleeve; dual throttle bodies. Same reason that 4 valves allow more air into the engine; dual throttle bodies will allow more air in also (even having the same diameter added together the benefits of greater edge space allows them to permit more air through). If we say that both the bikes have 5% opening at full throttle the 38mm throttle body of the CBR will have an opening of (192 * pi * 0,05) 56,71mm2 versus the Ninja's (142 * pi * 0,05 * 2) 61,58mm2. The engine not receiving fuel nor spark in either bike will act like a big vacuum pump. The 23% bigger opening on the Ninja will less the effect.

In second the Ninja only spins its engine (3,087 * 1,789 * 3,214) 17,750 times for each revolution of the rear tyre. The CBR has to spin its engine (2,808 * 2,118 * 2,714) 16,141 times for each revolution of the rear tyre. The difference is still not greater than the difference in throttle body openings though..

dave-boo, u are certainly the man for numbers....your explantation of the difference in engine breaking performance clearly explaines the "why".

But carrying on from the throttle body sizeing, does that also explain why the CBR runs out of steam towards its upper rev limit? (Apart from re-mapping for added fuel etc) would swapping for a larger throttle body plus re-mapping allow the rev limit to be higher? (apart from any rev limiter if it has one) Obviously fuel consumption would increase, I guess matching the Ninja then?

Even further...........With Honda using this engine as the basis for their entries in the MotoGP3 class, with a rev limit of 15000rpm, obviously they must be able to achieve this from somewhere?? (obviously in hand with different cams/timing etc.)

dave-boo, u are certainly the man for numbers....your explantation of the difference in engine breaking performance clearly explaines the "why".

But carrying on from the throttle body sizeing, does that also explain why the CBR runs out of steam towards its upper rev limit? (Apart from re-mapping for added fuel etc) would swapping for a larger throttle body plus re-mapping allow the rev limit to be higher? (apart from any rev limiter if it has one) Obviously fuel consumption would increase, I guess matching the Ninja then?

Even further...........With Honda using this engine as the basis for their entries in the MotoGP3 class, with a rev limit of 15000rpm, obviously they must be able to achieve this from somewhere?? (obviously in hand with different cams/timing etc.)

The difference in throttle body surely plays a part. Exhaust pipe sizing is another factor. You touched upon the cams; this would need to be adjust for less overlap, at minimum, to move the peak torque and hence HP higher in the RPM range. Intake and exhaust ports seem very well designed and I don't know how much more you'd get out of the engine by porting/polishing them. You may get a few more mm larger valves if you have someone do a good job though.

post-27441-0-31439600-1305214126_thumb.j

If I had to guess from the pictures/specs I've seen one of the biggest issues the CBR has is the exhaust piping. Keeping the tree-huggers happy really seems to choke off the bike quite quickly in upper RPM range. Most all bikes do lose torque as they approach their RPM limit, but it's a really steep drop-off for the CBR. Compare the way that the Ninja goes down to some 78% of its peak torque versus the CBR going down to some 55% of its peak torque at redline.

post-27441-0-12061000-1305214759_thumb.j

To get MotoGP levels you have a lot to look at. Airbox design, intake runner sizing (shape and lenght), valve lift, valve overlap, combustion chamber shape, injector pulse width v. injector size (you can go with a bigger injector that dumps more fuel in at a time but it may not atomise properly), exhaust sizing, etc.

Hi all.

Thanks,

Michael

Ninja gear ratios

1st 2.600 (39/15)

2nd 1.789 (34/19)

3rd 1.409 (31/22)

4th 1.160 (29/25)

5th 1.000 (27/27)

6th 0.893 (25/28)

Honda gear ratios

1-speed 3.333

2-speed 2.118

3-speed 1.571

4-speed 1.304

5-speed 1.115

6-speed 0.963

You forgot compression ratio

Ninja 11.6:1

CBR 10.7:1

CBR  10.7:1

A bit paradoxically the compression ratio of the Ninja actually helps reduce engine braking compared to the CBR.  Reason being is that there is much more air in the crankcase than in the pistons and even more so at off throttle openings.  Add in the lack of combustion and the extra air brought in plus the higher compression ratio helps to 'spring' the NInja's pistons against the crankcase value (and even provide less vacuum) than the CBR offers.

Hello all you CBR 250 lovers out there. In addition to this site, we also sponsor www.cbr250thai.com . They have just set up a forum section for foreigners. If you are looking for a site/forum specific to the CBR 250, this is the place for you. They sponsor and organize many bike tours and trips all over Thailand. It is new, but I'm sure if enough of us get on there we can turn it into something special. Thanks.

Brian

Hello all you CBR 250 lovers out there. In addition to this site, we also sponsor www.cbr250thai.com . They have just set up a forum section for foreigners. If you are looking for a site/forum specific to the CBR 250, this is the place for you. They sponsor and organize many bike tours and trips all over Thailand. It is new, but I'm sure if enough of us get on there we can turn it into something special. Thanks.

Brian

Brian.. even though this is good news. The section marked ' foreigners' does not exactly make me feel welcome. nor does the fact that the sign in pages are in Thai. If you check out http://www.tigersachsclub.com/. you will see that you can easily change the language on the site.. maybe if www.cbr250thai.com enabled this feature it would be more welcoming.

Ps you might try cbr250.org as well a site based in the US. Could be good for exporting bits and pieces.

Edited by thaicbr

CBR 10.7:1

A bit paradoxically the compression ratio of the Ninja actually helps reduce engine braking compared to the CBR. Reason being is that there is much more air in the crankcase than in the pistons and even more so at off throttle openings. Add in the lack of combustion and the extra air brought in plus the higher compression ratio helps to 'spring' the NInja's pistons against the crankcase value (and even provide less vacuum) than the CBR offers.

dave-boo u really do seem to have a handle on the whys and why nots! Getting away from the orininal question a bit, but seems the biggest critisism of the CBR (although not often stated as such) is that it needs another 5hp+ plus maybe another 1000 to 2000 rpm.

quite a % increase sure, while still maintaining economy and useability etc. But as the MotoGP3 engines will be producing 50+hp, (I know u cant really compare) it seems that there must be ways to relatively easily find that "little bit extra" for a road use bike.

If an aftermarket performance shop comes out with a "kit" or "some way" of acheiving that increase, Im sure they would have a huge demand if can be marketed at a reasonable cost.' (Not just a cosmetic upgrade to look faster)

There are cans available now but I suspect add little to no extra performance if accurate timed performance is carried out.

Brian

Brian.. even though this is good news. The section marked ' foreigners' does not exactly make me feel welcome. nor does the fact that the sign in pages are in Thai. If you check out http://www.tigersachsclub.com/. you will see that you can easily change the language on the site.. maybe if www.cbr250thai.com enabled this feature it would be more welcoming.

Ps you might try cbr250.org as well a site based in the US. Could be good for exporting bits and pieces.

Thanks, I just found out about it this morning. I haven't had a chance to check it out myself. I'll be sure to pass on your suggestions to the webmaster. I'll also check out the other site you mentioned.