Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

Wow, you CBR-250 guys are up to 174 pages of posts. Way more than the old CBR-150 thread that Crowboy started. Is the bike really that good? Will be time to get a new bike for me next year the the -250 is certainly on the list.

Chalk it up to forum drama.

Yeah: about 100 pages guessing what it would be, then another 50 pages b_itch fighting between the CBR and Ninjette camps. Which leaves about 20 pages of useful information! :D

PS one more useless post added by me! :lol:

Edited by taichiplanet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you got the carbed CBR 150 it can be made to be just as fast as the CBR 250. Possibly the Fi version as well, but I haven't had my hands in one yet.

I ride with a couple of friends who ride a CBR 250 and Ninja 250, and can verify for a fact the Ninja is a quicker bike. The guy on the CBR 250 is also the lightest, while im the fattest.

I tend to agree with this to some degree. With the exception of one, I've had no problem beating the old carbed model. The one? Two up, loan sharks on the highway between Tak and Phitsanuloc. Pulled away from me a the light and just kept on going. Even when I hit 130, they were STILL pulling away.

I use to always wonder what it was those loan sharks did to their bikes. But now im glad to say i can now smoke them there loan sharks. B) Even when its one up.

Had my first kill on the way back from Inthanon, the loan shark driving looked very surprised !..and he was trying for sure...Im touching 160kph in a full tuck, i bet the new cbr 150 can do the same when tucked in.

Unfortunately fuel consumption has dropped to 250 km compared to 320ish km before the modifications.

If you got the carbed CBR 150 it can be made to be just as fast as the CBR 250. Possibly the Fi version as well, but I haven't had my hands in one yet.

I ride with a couple of friends who ride a CBR 250 and Ninja 250, and can verify for a fact the Ninja is a quicker bike. The guy on the CBR 250 is also the lightest, while im the fattest.

I tend to agree with this to some degree. With the exception of one, I've had no problem beating the old carbed model. The one? Two up, loan sharks on the highway between Tak and Phitsanuloc. Pulled away from me a the light and just kept on going. Even when I hit 130, they were STILL pulling away.

I use to always wonder what it was those loan sharks did to their bikes. But now im glad to say i can now smoke them there loan sharks. B) Even when its one up.

Had my first kill on the way back from Inthanon, the loan shark driving looked very surprised !..and he was trying for sure...Im touching 160kph in a full tuck, i bet the new cbr 150 can do the same when tucked in.

Unfortunately fuel consumption has dropped to 250 km compared to 320ish km before the modifications.

I've run against, and easily beaten, 5 of the carbed models, but the one that blew me away?? No way in the world that thing was stock. Two up, and it still ran off and left me like I was on a old Honda Wave.

But we "stray". This is the 250 forum, and we should be talking about this in the 150.

:cheesy:

Double-Bubble screen released.

57925_xl.jpg

66 pounds sterling on this site.

Or 4250thb in the Thai shops.

Which isn't actually bad at around 87gbp.

Can get different colour tints made to order. A red one would probably look pretty sharp.

Edited by hehehoho

Just been informed that they have Smoke/Gray, Clear, Gloss Black (not transparent), Red and Blue as stock colours.

Got a feeling that in red would look sweet on the red model, and more importantly on my all black with black rims/red rim tape model. :D

Edited by hehehoho

Just been informed that they have Smoke/Gray, Clear, Gloss Black (not transparent), Red and Blue as stock colours.

Got a feeling that in red would look sweet on the red model, and more importantly on my all black with black rims/red rim tape model. :D

let me know if you order maybe can do a group buy. ( i prefer the PUIG one though)

I put on the touring screen when going out for a day ride. It certainly keeps the wind off your body at 160kph+. It blows more wind up onto your helmet though.

I did 750km to Mukdahan (long way during the flooding) with it on and felt as fresh as a daisy after it. After a shower and change of clothes it was straight back onto the bike for a tour around without an ache or pain.

Compared to having done 750km+ to the 3 Pagoda Pass and back without the touring screen I felt about 10 times better.

Average speed along the highways was probably 150kph+ for a few hours on end and it certainly helps yer body.

Edited by hehehoho

btw Honda Canada will be introducing a CBR250R race series in 2012. All bikes identical.

The Honda CBR250R race bikes will be equipped with a race kit costing around CN$2500 which includes race fairings, Akropovic exhaust, Dynojet fuel control module, Elka shock, rearset kit, frame sliders, swingarm-mounted shark fin sprocket guard and rear race stand. Pirelli will supply tires, with racers allowed one tire change each race weekend. Riders will be allowed to modify the front suspension.

Detonation/Engine Knocking.

People were discussing this before and I'm afraid I have a very bad case of it between 5000-6000rpm in 5th and 6th gears. Or when it is under any load. Sounds and feels like a jack-hammer replaced the piston.

Bike is 12 months old with 24k on the clock. Which also means it's going in for a big service next week.

What should I get checked, the shims?

It really only became noticeable after around 18k km.

Some info here but not really a solution.

People say that it's caused by the octane rating of the fuel, but what part is hitting what part? And why did it only happen to start after around 18k km?

I suspect it is a case or worn(?) shims which affected valve clearance. Sound plausible?

Hi hhhh. First thing to do is check your coolant level as may just be running too hot. Then your spark plug. As you've racked up quite a few k's it may be tired and need replacing.

Have you filled up with some dodgy fuel? If only recently maybe that's the cause.

My own cbr pinks at about 5500-6000 revs. I don't like it but it seems to be common wordwide reading other forums and likely a result of being set to run so lean.

My cure is shifting up at higher revs:-)

Future mods will be a slip on and power commander which is guaranteed to cure it.

The original spark plug burnt out and had to be replaced at one of the services. I'd guess it was the 12,000km one.

It's not really that recent, but has just gotten a lot worse/more noticeable over the past 5000km or so. But probably began about 10k km ago I suppose.

The coolant should be checked at the 24k service next week, not sure if it was checked as part of the 18k service, but don't think it's listed.

I don't really expect a 12 month old Honda to have such an engine knocking sound, especially in such a place in the engine as the piston and head.

Hopefully it is just just the shims though, which reading up about it suggests.

Got the cbr250 put in to get the engine modified and the exhaust replaced, should be done in about two weeks then I'll be taking it back to the track. Looking for atleast a 1:13s laptime to be worth racing it in moto3, I've also got access to a bazzaz zi-fi qs if they'll let me race with it.

Top guy in the class is running 1:10s and I believe he might have dropped below that on Monday as he was lapping near as quick as some of the SB2 guys that were testing at BIRA.

The original spark plug burnt out and had to be replaced at one of the services. I'd guess it was the 12,000km one.

It's not really that recent, but has just gotten a lot worse/more noticeable over the past 5000km or so. But probably began about 10k km ago I suppose.

The coolant should be checked at the 24k service next week, not sure if it was checked as part of the 18k service, but don't think it's listed.

I don't really expect a 12 month old Honda to have such an engine knocking sound, especially in such a place in the engine as the piston and head.

Hopefully it is just just the shims though, which reading up about it suggests.

Same for me! Currently running second tank of Red 95 in a vain attempt to reduce the problem....but not a lot of luck.

If you find a mechanic somewhere that can fix the problem, please let me know. Right now I would be happy to put it in the back off the pick-up and take it anywhere to get fixed.

Some interesting stuff, bsj.

On the morning of the service the engine started free-revving about 6000-7000rpm. Was perfect up to that but then would loose all extra power and free rev up the remaining rpm.

Impeccable timing in fairness as it was going in for the 24k service that afternoon.

Anyway, word came back from the dealer that the Camshaft Tensioner needs replacing, and was likely the cause of the issues.

I posted it on another forum as a heads up, and a poster asked if there was a clicking sound from the engine when cold.

Well yes, there was, for about 2 months. For maybe the first 5 minutes especially when stopping at a light or junction it would tick/click with the rpms...

Edit.

To add a bit about the camshaft tensioner googling it shows info for the Ninja 250.

http://faq.ninja250....nsioner_removal

Why this part is important is because if the tensioner goes, the cam chain can slap around within the engine, tearing off bits of the plastic that are there to help guide it and protect the metal. These can float around in the engine until they get stuck somewhere or do damage. The chain can also jump teeth, in which case the timing is off and the bike runs terribly, or you have that unhappy valve-to-piston contact.

The usual noise for a tensioner getting worn is a loud (usually consistent) ticking on the upper right side of the motor, similar to noisy (loose) valves. If you have these symptoms, and you know the valves to be correct, you should replace the cam chain tensioner.

Edited by hehehoho

Of course this is only off some guy on the internet, on the camshaft tensioner thread on the CBR forum:

1000km of running (esp fast running as in touring) once that ticking starts is enough to destroy anything the abrasive laden oil comes into contact with. A proper tensioner should last at least 40 -50K km.

Though still enough to add a pang of worry to those with a 12 month old bike that ticks in one part of the engine, knocks in another, and then one morning hasn't any power past 7000rpm. biggrin.gif

Edited by hehehoho

Sounds more like a problem with the TPS or IACV

Maybe the throttle body butterflies are opening too much and also sporadicly with too little fuel being injected.

There are usually two butterfly valves, one for low end and then it transitions to the top end butterfly valve.

TPS on cars can usually be adjusted by rotating it back and forth and taking a ground reading to set the correct value.

Edited by KRS1

Well just wanted an opinion on service availability Ninja 250 or Honda CBR 250, which is more responsive in Thailand, in regard to access to parts and quality service. Look towards the CBR 250

Honda wins hands down in regards to number of service centres. Quality of those service centres is a different issue. Also to consider is that if there is a major issue, the Rama (head Kawi dealership) seems to have all their stuff together). Also the Ninja has been proven to have a bullet proof engine. There seems to be some issues with tapping re the Honda's engine after xxxxx km. I've never had to order anything for my Ninja (although the wife did when I high-sided the sucker!...I'll ask her how long it took for that to arrive to NakWan) but Honda parts for smaller scooters have arrived promptly even out in the middle of nowhere.

Well just wanted an opinion on service availability Ninja 250 or Honda CBR 250, which is more responsive in Thailand, in regard to access to parts and quality service. Look towards the CBR 250

Ninjette, hands down- they never break.

Just keep up with the regularly scheduled maintenance and you'll enjoy a trouble free bike for years.

As I posted early on, the new Honda CB'r' is unfortunately quite fragile, and finding a Honda shop in Thailand that can fix it isn't as easy as you might think.

Happy Trails!

T

I'm always highly impressed whenever I visit the Kawa service center. Outside of BKK though I'm not sure. Having an American managed Honda dealership in BKK is a great asset for Honda owners though, and their service is always great and highly recommendable, so probably all even.

My CBR just celebrated her first birthday and during that time both bulbs and sparkplug had to be replaced, it loudly rattled for over 10,000km which was only fixed when the headlight assembly and farings were replaced, the indicators stopped working after a heavy rain within the first month, the plastic cover to the axle bolt fell off when washing, and now the Camshaft Tensioner broke due to 'wear and tear', hopefully not doing any damage such as bending the valves or anything else along the way. The exhaust muffler is also about 15% covered in rust, which I'm currently having sanded down and painted with high-temp paint.

Not what you expect within a bike's 1st year.

I'm always highly impressed whenever I visit the Kawa service center. Outside of BKK though I'm not sure. Having an American managed Honda dealership in BKK is a great asset for Honda owners though, and their service is always great and highly recommendable, so probably all even.

My CBR just celebrated her first birthday and during that time both bulbs and sparkplug had to be replaced, it loudly rattled for over 10,000km which was only fixed when the headlight assembly and farings were replaced, the indicators stopped working after a heavy rain within the first month, the plastic cover to the axle bolt fell off when washing, and now the Camshaft Tensioner broke due to 'wear and tear', hopefully not doing any damage such as bending the valves or anything else along the way. The exhaust muffler is also about 15% covered in rust, which I'm currently having sanded down and painted with high-temp paint.

Not what you expect within a bike's 1st year.

Yeah... Thai build quality has a ways to go before it will match Japanese quality. Some Thai built Kwackers also suffer from pre-mature rust and less than perfect paint quality. But one thing Team Green seems to have gotten right in their Thai factory is mechanical durability. The Ninjette has been refined over many years and is an unbelievable tough bike. They just love to be punished and their engines really are bulletproof.

I think the new Honda CB'r' is a big drag on Honda's reputation for exceptional quality. Hope they can get it sorted without delay and start making exciting bikes again. Other than the real CBR's, Honda's entire lineup is a big yawn... :/

In my opinion the Kawi after sales and servicing is fantastic. Extremely professional and ridiculously cheap. You've got the added bonus that the Ninja is bullet proof having been refined and proven over many years. In well over three years ownership my only problem has been broken bulbs and I ride the bike hard.

With the Honda I guess you'll be ok for a standard service (although one guy on here had his engine ruined by a drunk mechanic during an oil change), but I wouldn't be too confident getting a complicated issue diagnosed and fixed by Honda dealers in Thailand. Unfortunately the CBr seems to have a few of these complicated issues as you've read on this thread.

Maybe a little off topic, but for those who think "bigger is better", check this out.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2012models/2012-Honda-CBR600RRC-ABS.htm

Oh, and on the main page it lists both the 600 & 1000, with/without ABS, and then says "More 2012 Honda Sport Bikes to be announced"

Okay, like maybe a CBR 400???

Maybe a little off topic, but for those who think "bigger is better", check this out.

http://www.totalmoto...R600RRC-ABS.htm

Oh, and on the main page it lists both the 600 & 1000, with/without ABS, and then says "More 2012 Honda Sport Bikes to be announced"

Okay, like maybe a CBR 400???

40mm throttle body per cylinder licklips.gif ...that's essentially 40mm per 150 cc...The CBR 150 fi has a 30mm TB, while the CBR 250 only has 38mm for 250cc....passifier.gif

I deserve this bike...i really do.post-4641-1156694606.gif