Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

Hopefully i will get mine next week than i can report top speed for thais as i am 58kg at 165cm i may be the fastest here :lol:

Yep you're so small you better duct tape yourself on so that you don't fly off....

I have a bloody funny image in my head...

Guys I reached 150kph very easily on the way to work this morning. Mine has no problems at all and that was in a normal riding position. It reckon i could hit 170 gunning it with my head tucked down.

I can;t remember the revs but I will do it again and make notes. (perhaps not at the same time)

Shouldn't the performance of our bikes evolve slightly during the breaking in process? Mine is just over 200km now and was definitely sounding better this morning! Starting to scream a bit more between 5-7k revs.

to coin a phrase- i'm lovin' it!. wacko.gif

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have gotten it to 153- but that was hard work and open road (lots of time) i have always thought it was because I am a fat bastard... Yes, the bike will vary in speed depending on heavy you are... Think it should do 160 with a Thai on top...

Speedo feels very real, and 80 on the cbr feels faster than 80 on the pcx or car...

I feel now that my front breake feels a bit weak- will stop by tomorrow to get it sorted out...

Actually it's not the weight that makes farang slower on the bike; it's the build. Weight affects acceleration, build affects top speed.

Dave... in that case Dave. Me and you are bolloxed for top speed on the CBR250 :D

Having seen Dave I have no chance of breaking the land speed record for a CBR 250 then.

Shouldn't the performance of our bikes evolve slightly during the breaking in process? Mine is just over 200km now and was definitely sounding better this morning! Starting to scream a bit more between 5-7k revs.

Yes, the sound of mine changed around this point too - after around 200km and between 5-7000rpm.

It sounded rough at first and I thought something might be up with it, now at 1500km it's developed into a nice sweet scream as you pull back the throttle, kicking in around 6000rpm.

Yes, the sound of mine changed around this point too - after around 200km and between 5-7000rpm.

It sounded rough at first and I thought something might be up with it, now at 1500km it's developed into a nice sweet scream as you pull back the throttle, kicking in around 6000rpm.

You gotta love it!

2011-honda-cbr250r.jpg

This is from the official adverts. This is P.Town and I was sitting with my girlfriend in the background while they were filming!

Now I have the same model...biggrin.gif

Hi guys found this picture on another website.. looks like someone is making topbox racks for the cbr250 already. somewhere in Pattaya.

I think it looks pretty good. especially if your running without the box.

post-62652-0-16297500-1294471843_thumb.j

Edited by thaicbr

Hi guys found this picture on another website.. looks like someone is making topbox racks for the cbr250 already. somewhere in Pattaya.

I think it looks pretty good. especially if your running without the box.

post-62652-0-16297500-1294471843_thumb.j

Doesn't look all that bad, and let's face it, the really has ZERO storage. There's a shop in C.M. that can get mounts for just about any bike made. If they don't have it in stock, they can order it and have it usually within 4-5 days. It's on Chiang Moi road, and is the same place I bought my REAL helmet. When I bought my old model CBR 150, I went there, ordered the mount, and 3 days later they called and said it was in. Will probably get one for the new 150, but get the box that is detachable so I only use it when necessary.

Edited by Just1Voice

Oh!

This would be my absolute first choice mod / add-on.

Srtapping down a big bag for the weekly commute would be sooooo much easier!

Can't wait to locate one!!

sorry but that is just plain ugly- if you need to carry loads of items, go to honda and order a tank bag- more than one size and when you dont need it, it is gone...

If you need space to carry stuff all the time- buy a scooter...

Just to let you all know- yes- i have one on my PCX- just for that purpose, carry stuff around!!!

Sportsbike with a box?? My god, what is next? Panniers? Saddle bags? Sidecar?

Ok- you can all have a go at me now!

sorry but that is just plain ugly- if you need to carry loads of items, go to honda and order a tank bag- more than one size and when you dont need it, it is gone...

Just to let you all know- yes- i have one on my PCX- just for that purpose, carry stuff around!!!

I think the CBR 250 will make a good basic sports tourer and I fully intend on getting saddle bags and a tank bag. Would actually like to get a removable rack for when I intend to bring tent and sleeping bags...

I have the top box and the side boxes on my CBR150. As my main means of transportation I find them very useful. Besides they give me a place to put my protective gear and such if I go to a national park or other places where I do not want to have to carry it around with me.

Another positive review http://www.cycleworl...0r_-_first_ride

And another quote from 'Hell for Leather' below.

A New Dream, A Familiar Problem

Let there be no mistake, the Honda CBR250R is a paradigm shifting motorcycle. It is an excellent all around machine, which coming from Honda is not so special, but more than that it has raised the bar for bikes in this category so high that nothing else around $4,000 makes sense anymore. Paint, body part count, features, fuel economy, comfort and fun are all there, in portions that simply couldn’t be imagined at this price point before. The Ninja is good, but the CBR250 is a better product by an order of magnitude.

There are better bikes out there if you are in the market for speed, handling and sportbike image for cheap (a second hand Yamaha FZR400 or Aprilia RS250 spring to mind); better value for money exists too, if volume is your thing (Hyosung GT650); and certainly looks are in the eye of the beholder. But, what this Honda does is check literally every box and offer a modern, new motorcycle that can do just about everything well all day long, with Honda quality and after sales care, at a bargain price and with an ABS option. In our sometimes limited North American world view, that is a refreshing thing.

There are some doubts, however. Motorcycling in our countries has an image problem, one that puts up barriers in front of the venerable CBR250R and other machines like it. Despite our self-inflicted economic meltdown, big, bad-boy egotism still drives our industry. I will go so far as to say they are our industry. Everywhere else in the world, motorcycles are transport as much as they are recreation, and what’s more, they are OK with that. You don’t need to be on the extreme end of any spectrum: the fastest superbike in production; the baddest custom chopper; or some adventure soft-roader with GPS and aluminum hard cases to be cool. In Brazil, in Italy, in Japan and most every biker culture just being on a motorcycle, any motorcycle, is cool. Not so here. Ride outside the box at your peril.

As an industry, we encourage this high-school mentality. Just this morning I was at my local Honda dealer talking about maxi-scooters, explaining how terrific they are for cruising around the countryside. The dealer, a guy my age, shrugged dismissively and murmured “…they aren’t my thing.” No kidding. They aren’t my thing either, but for Mr. And Mrs. Retired Tourist, a 500cc Yamaha TMAX is an infinitely better choice to spend six weeks in the summer on than some V-twin cruiser costing twice as much. Have you ridden a TMAX? 100mph with waterproof, lockable luggage integrated into the body, excellent sporty handling and brakes, twist-and-go-transmission, wind protection and all-day comfort are cool to me, if my mission is to ride to Vancouver with my wife. But it’s not cool to a narrow demographic of opinion leaders, so to to hell with it… pushrod cruisers for everyone!

This is the mountain, the towering height of fickle public opinion, that the Honda CBR250R has to scale if it is to succeed. Honda are no doubt aiming at not only sensible types (the ones we labelled “uncool”), but also people completely outside motorcycling’s bandwidth. There are a lot of consumers out there who like the appeal of motorcycling, but until now have been too intimidated by the image and products on offer to step in. They are the kindergarden kids, looking over the fence at the grade 1 playground, envious of their toys and increased freedom, but too afraid to cross over. Those people, professionals and students, young and old, with the right media message, will discover that they too can be cool and enjoy riding motorcycles, just like another generation of ordinary Americans once discovered.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda. And that’s a lot of people.

Edited by skybluestu

Thanks for that, skyblu.

Perhaps it is time for western consumers to see past monster motorcycle image and to realize 250CC is very logical/useful engine size. If you really want an everything bike, this CBR is the leading edge.

If you are a racer, or have self esteem issues, the rest of the motorcycle market has plenty of options.

This bike isn't going to break any records except for sales and perhaps consumer confidence, but there are more important things than potential speed.

The new CBR might set some record for price gouging though! Has anybody got any leads on a dealer in Bangkok selling anywhere near the MRSP? My regular dealer has put the price up 3 times now and wants 118k for the non ABS model which I am not going to pay.

There are some doubts, however. Motorcycling in our countries has an image problem, one that puts up barriers in front of the venerable CBR250R and other machines like it. Despite our self-inflicted economic meltdown, big, bad-boy egotism still drives our industry. I will go so far as to say they are our industry. Everywhere else in the world, motorcycles are transport as much as they are recreation, and what’s more, they are OK with that. You don’t need to be on the extreme end of any spectrum: the fastest superbike in production; the baddest custom chopper; or some adventure soft-roader with GPS and aluminum hard cases to be cool. In Brazil, in Italy, in Japan and most every biker culture just being on a motorcycle, any motorcycle, is cool. Not so here. Ride outside the box at your peril.

As an industry, we encourage this high-school mentality.

Man or man that is so accurate for North America.

My sister has decided she'd like to get a road bike and licensed for the first time. Late forties, recently separated, with her life time experience riding is from riding the small trail bikes I owned as a pre-teen/teen. She found out about the new CBR250r all on her own, so is now studying hard for the theory portion of the learners test. - Every single guy friend, plus just visiting motorcyclist is the shop she works: tells her the CBR250r is not the bike she should get, that it's out right no good, and she should look at no less than a 400 but a 600/650 would be better!

She has researched tremendously, knows her self well as never having been a speed freak, and even on four wheels prefers secondary roads. There's one single highway traversing Vancouver Island, where she lives, that has a maximum speed of 110 k/h, other wise it's a max speed of 80 anywhere else. And guaranteed she's will never exceed a posted maximum speed by more than 10 k/h, and not just because of huge fines for doing so in Canada. BUT, with so many no votes to the CBR250r she is starting to truely believe that it is the wrong choice for her. :realangry::blink:

There are some doubts, however. Motorcycling in our countries has an image problem, one that puts up barriers in front of the venerable CBR250R and other machines like it. Despite our self-inflicted economic meltdown, big, bad-boy egotism still drives our industry. I will go so far as to say they are our industry. Everywhere else in the world, motorcycles are transport as much as they are recreation, and what's more, they are OK with that. You don't need to be on the extreme end of any spectrum: the fastest superbike in production; the baddest custom chopper; or some adventure soft-roader with GPS and aluminum hard cases to be cool. In Brazil, in Italy, in Japan and most every biker culture just being on a motorcycle, any motorcycle, is cool. Not so here. Ride outside the box at your peril.

My sister has decided she'd like to get a road bike and licensed for the first time. Late forties, recently separated, with her life time experience riding is from riding the small trail bikes I owned as a pre-teen/teen. She found out about the new CBR250r all on her own, so is now studying hard for the theory portion of the learners test. - Every single guy friend, plus just visiting motorcyclist is the shop she works: tells her the CBR250r is not the bike she should get, that it's out right no good, and she should look at no less than a 400 but a 600/650 would be better!

She has researched tremendously, knows her self well as never having been a speed freak, and even on four wheels prefers secondary roads. There's one single highway traversing Vancouver Island, where she lives, that has a maximum speed of 110 k/h, other wise it's a max speed of 80 anywhere else. And guaranteed she's will never exceed a posted maximum speed by more than 10 k/h, and not just because of huge fines for doing so in Canada. BUT, with so many no votes to the CBR250r she is starting to truely believe that it is the wrong choice for her. :realangry::blink:

If I were you, I'd tell her to screw them and go for what she likes, and for what best suits her needs/purposes. And if that's the 250, then get it and ride happy.

There are some doubts, however. Motorcycling in our countries has an image problem, one that puts up barriers in front of the venerable CBR250R and other machines like it. Despite our self-inflicted economic meltdown, big, bad-boy egotism still drives our industry. I will go so far as to say they are our industry. Everywhere else in the world, motorcycles are transport as much as they are recreation, and what's more, they are OK with that. You don't need to be on the extreme end of any spectrum: the fastest superbike in production; the baddest custom chopper; or some adventure soft-roader with GPS and aluminum hard cases to be cool. In Brazil, in Italy, in Japan and most every biker culture just being on a motorcycle, any motorcycle, is cool. Not so here. Ride outside the box at your peril.

You need to invite her over for a visit, rent one out for a week and travel in Northern Thailand with it. Then she'll realize that's it's more than enough for her needs and won't be able to wait for it to come out in Canada... If all the reports about it are true, I know this bike will be what I'm looking for. Besides people that have the big cc bikes are just afraid to shift and truly enjoy the freedom of riding...

Have a go at you for making a good points... never!

For my needs, scooters don't cut it.

Magnetic tank bags. I love them but for a laptop + 4 days work wear etc? Errr.. No.

Bagster style system. Expensive, ugly base unit, limited storage.

Back pack. Great for for planned shopping / short trips but hot and heavy for a 1 1/2 hour commute

Minor shopping? Keep a drawstring bag tucked under the seat.

Major shopping? That's what the MRT / BTS / taxis and delivery services are for.

Rack + weekend bag great for weekly commute. W/e away 2 up ie lets the bag sit further back + support

Full pannier system? Why? to carry 100+ litres of gear like I used to?

post-111530-0-61061400-1294540490_thumb.

I love camping but not here in Thailand unless it's in a hammock.

I'll have a rack please.

Each to there own.

No chance I go all the way to town with my fr--king PCX if I can use my Ninja 650R. So a box on the pillion seat strapped to bike can carry whatever i buy. PCX and similar have no power, no brakes and terrible traction

Motorcycling in our countries has an image problem, one that puts up barriers in front of the venerable CBR250R and other machines like it. Despite our self-inflicted economic meltdown, big, bad-boy egotism still drives our industry. I will go so far as to say they are our industry. Everywhere else in the world, motorcycles are transport as much as they are recreation, and what’s more, they are OK with that. You don’t need to be on the extreme end of any spectrum: the fastest superbike in production; the baddest custom chopper; or some adventure soft-roader with GPS and aluminum hard cases to be cool. In Brazil, in Italy, in Japan and most every biker culture just being on a motorcycle, any motorcycle, is cool. Not so here. Ride outside the box at your peril.

As an industry, we encourage this high-school mentality. Just this morning I was at my local Honda dealer talking about maxi-scooters, explaining how terrific they are for cruising around the countryside. The dealer, a guy my age, shrugged dismissively and murmured “…they aren’t my thing.” No kidding. They aren’t my thing either, but for Mr. And Mrs. Retired Tourist, a 500cc Yamaha TMAX is an infinitely better choice to spend six weeks in the summer on than some V-twin cruiser costing twice as much. Have you ridden a TMAX? 100mph with waterproof, lockable luggage integrated into the body, excellent sporty handling and brakes, twist-and-go-transmission, wind protection and all-day comfort are cool to me, if my mission is to ride to Vancouver with my wife. But it’s not cool to a narrow demographic of opinion leaders, so to to hell with it… pushrod cruisers for everyone!

You see I totally agree with the above.. I think what he is saying is really important for the industry to say, its a common complaint of mine that all the motoring press is pushing neiche specific bikes and encouraging 'you should desire the mentalist extreme track tool' as your ride.

But then the whole argument falls a bit flat when the bike hes talking about is dressed up like a super sport with a CBR moniker !! Its the same marketing machine style over substance.

LOLZ! For once I actually agree with you! :lol:

OK, OK... I might just have to agree...

I didn't think there were any laptop tank bags out there but the Alpinestars Tech Aero Motorcycle Tank bag ticks all the boxes :thumbsup:

20ltr min - 30ltr max

Holds up to 15" laptops

Comes with both base plate and magnets options

Back pack straps

Liddle ol rain coat too bla bla bla...

Now then... who stocks those in Bkk... :unsure:

Of course a little rack on the back might still be handy if the other half is tagging along...

OK, OK... I might just have to agree...

I didn't think there were any laptop tank bags out there but the Alpinestars Tech Aero Motorcycle Tank bag ticks all the boxes :thumbsup:

20ltr min - 30ltr max

Holds up to 15" laptops

Comes with both base plate and magnets options

Back pack straps

Liddle ol rain coat too bla bla bla...

Now then... who stocks those in Bkk... :unsure:

Of course a little rack on the back might still be handy if the other half is tagging along...

I carry a little Acer Netbook on all my tours.

I wrap it in clothes to protect from bumps and vibrations and it fits easily into a waterproof dive bag, pillion bag or tank bag.

111210VersysSSR.jpg

I agree, a top box does look ugly on a sports-style bike. Thinking about it, all that bulk at the end -- won't it affect the handling and balance? Racks I think are an acceptable compromise...

Laptops on motorcycles? Consider getting an SSD (Solid-state drive) for data storage instead of the normal HDD (hard disk drive).

That being said, if you had a toughbook all you'll probably need is a few bungie cords.

Edited by RED21

I have to say that I agree on the write up...

Every sealer would probably say the same... We need to think differently...

While i was riding my zx12r a few years ago I went home to my muim for a while, bavk home I met this guy on a zx12r, due to speed limits in norway, he had never taken it out of 3rd gear- and even then he was speeding...

On my trip today I was cruising for my 500km at about 120-125kmph... That is faster than I would be allowed to ride in most european countries... If I ever go back- that is all I would need... Speed cameraes and all the technology they use to catch people speeding now, makes it difficult to have fun on a bike there...

That said- I am amazed of the handling and comfort on the CBR... It would be perfect if I could cruise at 150kmph...

I will buy myself a vesyrus for my birthday in september- I really like the red colour they have...

A nice trip from BKK to Ayutthaya today. A great tip is to turn left at Future Park, onto the 346, then onto the 347 for the last 40km to Ayutthaya. 3 empty highway lanes the whole way up, what a difference compared to Viphawadee-Rangsit. Anyway, took her up to 145 no problems at all, was still under 9000rpm then went back to cruising at 125 or so, I don't just see the need to drive faster than 145kph on the roads here. Could of kept going up, would have gone up above 150 no worries, but for what?

Only the 3rd time I've had it out on a proper-ish highway and the wind was far less noticeable this time, which was a major improvement.... Not a design flaw in the windscreen afterall. And it's so smooth at 120 you could almost fall asleep, I noticed that a few times. Great, smooth empty road, and the bike is so smooth and relaxing at 120+ that you could almost nod off. Especially with your head cocooned by the tight HJC helmet that's vacuum sucked onto it.