Oooh! Big Bad Harley Riders

JSixpack

there is a local bar i go to and my bike is Loud and the bar is in a small soi and I have to pass to park the bike and I SPECIFICALLY idle it to run past the bars and park up the bike and when i leave I again start the bike up try not to rev but idle out onto the main st and off i go, other bikers that frequent the bar dont they rev there bikes and tear off like a bat out of hel_l and yes people tend to look down on that even I do as its not cool.

Now if you can only edumicate the other Thai and Farrang Harley riders, we can all go back to walking off into the sunset, hand in hand :D .

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its really a shame that this BS is showing its face here I really have not seen this type of BS in the 5 years of riding in Thailand and thought it was just an attitude left in the USA the riceburner Harley mentality, competition.

I sort of feel the same and sort of don't... I love riding Thailand, group of guys out on the road together, lots of different bikes... I can love an old BSA, a retro Triumph, and an ER6N on the track (Hi BigBikeBKK)... could probably even appreciate a HD if they weren't all but identical :D ...

but... (there is always a but)...

I don't like the Harley mentality that seems to have transferred itself to Thailand... have to be loud, have to be offensive, have to ride in a massive group and take over the road... and it isn't restricted to farang...

Day 5 of a 5 day ride last year we stopped for a break for lunch in a nice restaurant in Peaceful Phayo when a big group of Thai HD riders came in on their way to CM Bike Week... three laps through town revving their engines, reverse into spots, rev rev rev, storm into the restaurant ordering the staff around...

That is the behaviour that makes them so despised in Oz, and which will lead to the same feelings in Thailand... That and whenever I tell someone that I love riding in Thailand the question is "you have chopper???"... no, I like to go fast :lol:

I do like that often the sports riders and harley guys group together because they all ride "big bikes" and give each other a bit of friendly harassment... same as Brit bike and Jap bikes do...

Daewoo

I can undertstand you

there is a local bar i go to and my bike is Loud and the bar is in a small soi and I have to pass to park the bike and I SPECIFICALLY idle it to run past the bars and park up the bike and when i leave I again start the bike up try not to rev but idle out onto the main st and off i go, other bikers that frequent the bar dont they rev there bikes and tear off like a bat out of hel_l and yes people tend to look down on that even I do as its not cool.

I like loud pipes many times i notice car drivers take note I am there only because of my pipes or of they dont a quick rev and they soon know I am and are aware of me.

I can understand they can be obnoxious but i also believe loud pipes save lives.

DK

I have tried to remain silent on this one, but I guess my opinion counts, that is what TV is for. I agree a little with everyone. I like choppers, and am proud of what I drive. I never look down on another biker, no matter what he drives. His outfit might look silly, but that is part of the fun. It is one of the only ways that we can show our personality. Cars are boring and mostly the same, but motorcycles are so easy to customize. Show your pride.

Now, I am not an a$$hole rider. Anyone can be an obnoxious driver, whether you are on a chopper, a sport bike, or a little scooter. Haven't we all had a small scooter do the same as the OP described, merging into us or cutting us off? The OP is making a big deal of something that happens to everyone by other drivers of all types of motorbikes, big or small.

I like to ride fast and respectful. Respectful to my fellow riders and to those around me. I never rev my throttle just to rev it. Why? Wastes gas. That is the same as when we were teenagers and would squeal our car tires. Just immature and trying to show off. But I do agree that loud pipes saves lives. I see almost daily a driver who didn't notice me until they heard me. But, I do respect my neighbors and don't advertise my noise. Even I don't really like to hear loud bikes when I am not on the road.

As for the way people dress, well each club has it's own rules. Sport bike riders usually prefer tighter leathers for jackets and pants, sport boots and gloves, and enclose helmets. Chopper riders like jeans and chunky boots and tattoos and bandannas and open faced helmets. So what? To each his own. Not all wear the same (I don't own a leather jacket or vest or leather chaps or sport giant tattoos and have a handlebar mustache).

The OP should have posted that they were cut off by a$$hole drivers, regardless of what type they were driving.

The OP should have posted that they were cut off by a$$hole drivers, regardless of what type they were driving.

Ah, no. Totally different category. The normal cutoff is by somebody who's careless, who's reckless, who's taking a chance because in a real hurry, who's genuinely frustrated at an truly excessively slow driver. I drive reasonably but never slowly if I can help it.

This idiot could probably have squeezed by on my right or waited a few seconds till I passed Soi Diana. The whole point of this cutoff was to be BIG BAD Harley driver who OWNS the road and to show that I should have moved out of HIS lane. That's what all the constant revving and backfiring was about. (Do Harleys have horns?) So he had to whip around to prove his point. It was just a$$hole macho bullshit, pure and simple.

And then his partner DIDN'T cut me off but drove up within 2 inches beside me revving and backfiring and yelled exactly this: "Move over, motherfu_cker!" (Very tempting to put out my leg see if I could topple him over, but even had I succeeded, I know where that would lead at Soi 9, and it wouldn't have been worth it.)

Me, I've driven a bike--my only vehicle--for nearly 15 years IN PATTAYA and never hit any other vehicle or person, or been hit, while dodging a million baht buses, kamikaze Thais, aggressive Arabs on sport bikes, drunken tourists, newbie farang bikers, roadwork, and whatever. Thought I'd seen it all, but I've never seen anything like these idiots. Never.

Surely they were tourists. Can't imagine a member of the Jesters doing such a thing.

Suddenly I have much better regard for sportsbike drivers. :)

Re: clothing, I might mention that sportsbike drivers are generally more safety conscious and hence have some rationale behind their gear. Makes sense to me. Even on my little Phantom, I'd never wear just a beanie, for example. Though Harley fashion and the Harley rider's need slavishly to follow it does seem quaint to a non-conformist such as myself, I've always had greatest respect for social Darwinism. Live and let die. In this case, though, I suspect a fashion, in a broad sense, partly dictated the ridiculous behavior.

Edited by JSixpack

We seem to losing the plot a little here!

It isn't the bike they ride that makes some people a C@#t Its them!

A C@#t is A C@#t no matter what bike they ride period. I have ridden all over Thailand and been to many bike meets. I have met great guys on every bike you can think of. I can luckily count the number of tossers I've met on the one hand.

OP you just happened to meet a couple of tossers that happened to be riding HD's that's all. Don't put all HD riders in the same category as them.

The OP should have posted that they were cut off by a$hole drivers, regardless of what type they were driving.

Ah, no. Totally different category. The normal cutoff is by somebody who's careless, who's reckless, who's taking a chance because in a real hurry, who's genuinely frustrated at an truly excessively slow driver. I drive reasonably but never slowly if I can help it.

This idiot could probably have squeezed by on my right or waited a few seconds till I passed Soi Diana. The whole point of this cutoff was to be BIG BAD Harley driver who OWNS the road and to show that I should have moved out of HIS lane. That's what all the constant revving and backfiring was about. (Do Harleys have horns?) So he had to whip around to prove his point. It was just a$hole macho bullshit, pure and simple.

And then his partner DIDN'T cut me off but drove up within 2 inches beside me revving and backfiring and yelled exactly this: "Move over, motherfu_cker!" (Very tempting to put out my leg see if I could topple him over, but even had I succeeded, I know where that would lead at Soi 9, and it wouldn't have been worth it.)

Me, I've driven a bike--my only vehicle--for nearly 15 years IN PATTAYA and never hit any other vehicle or person, or been hit, while dodging a million baht buses, kamikaze Thais, aggressive Arabs on sport bikes, drunken tourists, newbie farang bikers, roadwork, and whatever. Thought I'd seen it all, but I've never seen anything like these idiots. Never.

Surely they were tourists. Can't imagine a member of the Jesters doing such a thing.

Suddenly I have much better regard for sportsbike drivers. :)

Re: clothing, I might mention that sportsbike drivers are generally more safety conscious and hence have some rationale behind their gear. Makes sense to me. Even on my little Phantom, I'd never wear just a beanie, for example. Though Harley fashion and the Harley rider's need slavishly to follow it does seem quaint to a non-conformist such as myself, I've always had greatest respect for social Darwinism. Live and let die. In this case, though, I suspect a fashion, in a broad sense, partly dictated the ridiculous behavior.

(Do Harleys have horns?)

Nope, no point we cant hear them cause of the engine noise :D

If anyone is interested in good horns. I can highly recommend Stebel products.

A guy I know in Chiang Rai has a dual setup of the horns shown below on his BMW GS and I intend getting a single one (red of course) for my Ducati.

The good points are, is that they are compact , VERY loud (over 136dBA) and come in range of subdued or bling styles for the discerning buyer.

tm80_2LC.jpgtm80_2C.jpg

tm80_2_ac.jpgtm80_1.jpg

A guy I know in Chiang Rai has a dual setup of the horns shown below on his BMW GS and I intend getting a single one (red of course) for my Ducati.

The good points are, is that they are compact , VERY loud (over 136dBA) and come in range of subdued or bling styles for the discerning buyer.

and for all us obnoxious chopper riders theres always these LOL :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGYcnYLK_50

A C@#t is A C@#t no matter what bike they ride period. I have ridden all over Thailand and been to many bike meets. I have met great guys on every bike you can think of. I can luckily count the number of tossers I've met on the one hand.

OP you just happened to meet a couple of tossers that happened to be riding HD's that's all. Don't put all HD riders in the same category as them.

^thankyou

into my 33rd year as a bike rider, 1991 I bought my first Harley - keeping the Kawasaki 1000 sports bike as well; 95 sold one/bought another Harley, 99 bought a new Triumph Triple and sold the HD and have stayed with Triumph sportsbikes since. Having a Harley did cause some unwelcome attention, in rural NZ it was assumed 'my crop had come in' when i paid cash for it at 30.

I wore leathers till they died on me of old age and replaced with synthetics with body armour etc. I do admit to a brief phase of matt black open face helmet though, but don't judge me on that!

Still the same me. Same friends, whatever they choose to ride.

Diamondking I think you missed the OP's point and seemed to have gone off on a tangent.

Nobody should be riding around abusing people like the group that was mentioned in the OP. That was the point he was making.

and you obviously have not read the whole thread where it is said that dont label a whole group of people by the actions of a couple of dickheads

I've heard about guys doing this. dam_n they were loud. Everyone seemed to get a good laugh out of it, amongst the squeals and screams :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bus's, trucks, cars and some bikes have loud horns installed on them here in Saigon and all around Vietnam, Now it may be amusing to watch people getting scared by a very loud horn, just think about it if you are riding next to a vehicle and they hit their horn.

Recently there was a case of a mother who had stopped along the side of the street loosing control of her bike and her baby getting run over the truck after it blasted its horn behind her. Sadly the baby died.

I've been alongside a bus when the driver has blasted its horn, It was so loud I had a vibration inside my ear that upset my balance. This was with me wearing a fullface helmet so you can imagine the others out there wearing their little skull cap "helmets"

I felt like climbing into the bus and dragging the driver outside, putting his head next to the horn and giving it a blast and see how he likes it

No doubt that those here on TV who have loud horns use them in the way they were intended, not continuously blasting the horn in gridlock.

To the OP, That's quite rude of the 2 riders (regardless of the bikes they ride), First one being a dick and deliberately cutting you off and the second trying to intimidate you.

You should come ride in Vietnam, that crap happens every 10 seconds, just without the intimidation.mad.gif

Many Harley Davidson riders remind me of the below commercial.

Many of these riders seem to be in 'drag' & as such, they are nothing less than 'drag queens' of a motorcycling nature.

As usual, it takes but a few to spoil the fun for the majority.

I will also admit that I've never liked Harleys, since their reliability seems to be tainted (historically).

Ignore them & they will be worthless...even though the bikes are already worthless. :lol:

post-22191-031259800 1287422927_thumb.jp

Many of these riders seem to be in 'drag' & as such, they are nothing less than 'drag queens' of a motorcycling nature.

I will also admit that I've never liked Harleys, since their reliability seems to be tainted (historically).

Ignore them & they will be worthless...even though the bikes are already worthless. :lol:

A Great post by someone who obviously has NO CLUE about Harleys nor the people that ride them :blink: but it made him feel better so thats ok :D

True that.

Siting at a gas station cooling down after some great trail riding with buddies, all of us wearing dirty, neon (late 80's) or mismatched armor, each riding some mutt of an off road bike with plastics gone and replaced with what ever; in pull true hel_l's Angels for gas - and a couple of the Angels' walk up and wanna talk RIDING! Really no surprise and in one way or another, and has happened in different versions many, many times; more commonly the old bloks on the full load Gold Wings talking to the rag tag group of twenty somethings - about? You guessed it riding!

Sure I was bitchy a few times in the last decade when my Harley buddies ride out for Sunday afternoon beers with their freshly polished rides AND don't invite there friend and neighbor with his filthy dual sport. That's ok, cause I can give'em a hard time in person; and compare odometers with em' :cheesy: .

Important to remember, here in Thailand we have more new riders :clap2: mixed in with more experienced ones. True it may throw a few extra c@#t$ into the mixed, but more riders - what ever they ride - is worth it. The my bike is better than your bike is excepted and encouraged, or else I've never told a fishy story in my life.

Anybody selling these in Thailand? Would've loved to have had these for the occasion.

Saying they are worthless is a bit harsh. I know of some guys attitudes who ride Japanese bikes including licensed built ones (eg: ER6N's in Thailand), who have similar attitudes about Ducati's being overpriced, for over inflated ego's. Reality check is that they are an import and one has to pay for a legal import. Same for imported Harley's, BMW's etc through the dealers. I don't want a run of the mill bike. I've been there and done that many a time over. I wanted a Ducati in Thailand to enjoy these great roads and I have (legal & taxed) one. If people don't like it because some discerning enthusiasts buy an expensive import (Harley Davidson, Ducati, Aprilia, MV Agusta, etc), which to them is overpriced...well tough sh*t.

I'll to see you on the road and I'll be enjoying myself, as I hope you will be on your bike. :jap: :D

edit for typos :-(

Edited by Garry

Bus's, trucks, cars and some bikes have loud horns installed on them here in Saigon and all around Vietnam, Now it may be amusing to watch people getting scared by a very loud horn, just think about it if you are riding next to a vehicle and they hit their horn.

Recently there was a case of a mother who had stopped along the side of the street loosing control of her bike and her baby getting run over the truck after it blasted its horn behind her. Sadly the baby died.

I've been alongside a bus when the driver has blasted its horn, It was so loud I had a vibration inside my ear that upset my balance. This was with me wearing a fullface helmet so you can imagine the others out there wearing their little skull cap "helmets"

I felt like climbing into the bus and dragging the driver outside, putting his head next to the horn and giving it a blast and see how he likes it

No doubt that those here on TV who have loud horns use them in the way they were intended, not continuously blasting the horn in gridlock.

To the OP, That's quite rude of the 2 riders (regardless of the bikes they ride), First one being a dick and deliberately cutting you off and the second trying to intimidate you.

You should come ride in Vietnam, that crap happens every 10 seconds, just without the intimidation.mad.gif

I head Vietnam can be pretty crazy with the horns blasting. A friend just came back from the Philipines recently and he said somehting similar for there. He reckons it was absolutely crazy: horns blaring all the time, cars constantly being bumped by other cars: jeepnees (Sp?) etc.

Anybody selling these in Thailand? Would've loved to have had these for the occasion.

I honestly don't know, but I have been meaning to look into it for awhile now. Complacency on my part. :(

Diamondking I think you missed the OP's point and seemed to have gone off on a tangent.

Nobody should be riding around abusing people like the group that was mentioned in the OP. That was the point he was making.

and you obviously have not read the whole thread where it is said that dont label a whole group of people by the actions of a couple of dickheads

I don't need to have read the whole topic because I wasn't talking about the whole topic. I was talking about the main point behind the OP's post and your initial response to it. You seem to have read too deeply into it and taken offence to the OP saying 'idiot harley drivers'.

Conversely you could have taken it as, 'Oh, this guy's pissed off at a bunch of people who treated him badly on the road, and were in fact riding Harleys.' and you could have responded saying 'Those asswipes are giving Harley riders a bad name.'

That is the point of MY post. Reading the OP's post I understood it in the manner I explained it above and didn't jump to the conclusion that the OP was putting down ALL Harley riders past, present and future.

Two sides to every story etc. To the OP you say you could hear the Harleys reving behind you when you were going down soi post office, you then turned into the outside lane on second road and again they apparently got frustrated being stuck behind you. Why didn't you just move over a bit and let them past, you were on a small bike a phantom or something wouldn't have been hard to move over a bit. From your first post it sounds like you were deliberately blocking them going down soi post office.

Two sides to every story etc. To the OP you say you could hear the Harleys reving behind you when you were going down soi post office, you then turned into the outside lane on second road and again they apparently got frustrated being stuck behind you. Why didn't you just move over a bit and let them past, you were on a small bike a phantom or something wouldn't have been hard to move over a bit. From your first post it sounds like you were deliberately blocking them going down soi post office.

The OP said he was riding at a reasonable speed, I believe him. As such he was entirely in his right to ride the way he was riding. Where is it written that a rider should/must move over for someone else who wants to ride in excess of the legal/reasonable limit? (I am aware the legal limit was not mentioned in the OP, it is by my own assumption the "reasonable" is not 15km/h)

This was really great l want some.:jap:

Edited by Kwasaki

This was really great l want some.:jap:

Some of them really did sound like a freakin' train was coming into the shop entrances :lol:

Two sides to every story etc. To the OP you say you could hear the Harleys reving behind you when you were going down soi post office,

Yeah, EVERYBODY could hear all the noise from the time they entered the soi, as they revved and backfired all the way to the end. The point was to make as much noise as possible; it echoes well between the buildings.

They caught up with me about 2/3 of the way down. However, I didn't pay much attention really. Just Harley riders having a wank and fantasizing about their importance. Their money, not mine. But my not paying much attention kinda ruined the wank I guess. Everybody was supposed to be intimidated and clear the road, as for royalty. I didn't feel intimidated.

you then turned into the outside lane on second road and again they apparently got frustrated being stuck behind you.

Soi Post Office is rather narrow when you consider the cars and bikes and food carts parked along the sides, which can pull out unpredictably; and pedestrians can walk out between them at any time, perhaps drunk pedestrians. Riding close to the side isn't as safe as riding closer to the middle, where I was. There's a reason I haven't had any collisions during my years in Pattaya.

Now, it's not my fault these riders have absurdly big and unmaneuverable bikes for Pattaya streets & traffic. It doesn't mean they own the road. At the corner, there was a rare lucky opening in 2nd Rd. traffic, so I could turn all the way into the far right lane of 2nd Rd. No way my little Phantom could block the entire three lanes of that road! At that point I'd about forgotten about them; I instinctively figured they'd move into the next lane and pass if they wanted to. A sportsbike woulda been past me in a flash and halfway to Soi Diana by the time I completed the turn!

So, thinking back, I believe they had decided to try to harass me. They succeeded well in making themselves look ridiculous. That arrogant little smirk on the first Harley rider's face as he turned right after he cut me off! I mean, really. A grown man, fer Chrissake.

Why didn't you just move over a bit and let them past, you were on a small bike a phantom or something wouldn't have been hard to move over a bit.

I didn't hear no siren or see any flashing lights or see any brown uniforms, pal. Didn't hear no horn either. I had no legal obligation to pull over, and I was anticipating the turn at the corner. And, as mentioned, I figured they were enjoying a wank with their revving noises, as many Harley riders do. For all I knew, they might enjoy slowing down to give the denizens of the soi even more enjoyment. Pulling over out of their way didn't even occur to me, frankly. It wasn't a situation in which it should be expected at all.

From your first post it sounds like you were deliberately blocking them going down soi post office.

Hardly. But it happened that I was ahead of them on a rather narrow and busy soi. I wanted to stay towards the safer middle of that soi. And I wanted to be first out of the corner, with a clear view, because they themselves might cause delay and confusion (you learn to be wary of farang drivers). Being ahead of them, I had the right to be first out, unless they went around. Actually I think they probably could have gone around on the right side, at the corner, if they could have gotten their minds off their revving for a second.

Now, do tell us how many times you've driven your motorbike down Soi Post Office? I'd estimate I've driven down it, over 15 years, at least 1,000 times (at once every 4 days or so).

A Great post by someone who obviously has NO CLUE about Harleys nor the people that ride them :blink: but it made him feel better so thats ok :D

Sorry, i agree with him, i bet a high majority of these guys only got themselfs harleys when they came here.....

It`s all a bit (village people) if you ask me..something not right about having your feet in front of your knees..not that you would ask me.......

Edited by husskydog

Two sides to every story etc. To the OP you say you could hear the Harleys reving behind you when you were going down soi post office,

Yeah, EVERYBODY could hear all the noise from the time they entered the soi, as they revved and backfired all the way to the end. The point was to make as much noise as possible; it echoes well between the buildings.

They caught up with me about 2/3 of the way down. However, I didn't pay much attention really. Just Harley riders having a wank and fantasizing about their importance. Their money, not mine. But my not paying much attention kinda ruined the wank I guess. Everybody was supposed to be intimidated and clear the road, as for royalty. I didn't feel intimidated.

you then turned into the outside lane on second road and again they apparently got frustrated being stuck behind you.

Soi Post Office is rather narrow when you consider the cars and bikes and food carts parked along the sides, which can pull out unpredictably; and pedestrians can walk out between them at any time, perhaps drunk pedestrians. Riding close to the side isn't as safe as riding closer to the middle, where I was. There's a reason I haven't had any collisions during my years in Pattaya.

Now, it's not my fault these riders have absurdly big and unmaneuverable bikes for Pattaya streets & traffic. It doesn't mean they own the road. At the corner, there was a rare lucky opening in 2nd Rd. traffic, so I could turn all the way into the far right lane of 2nd Rd. No way my little Phantom could block the entire three lanes of that road! At that point I'd about forgotten about them; I instinctively figured they'd move into the next lane and pass if they wanted to. A sportsbike woulda been past me in a flash and halfway to Soi Diana by the time I completed the turn!

So, thinking back, I believe they had decided to try to harass me. They succeeded well in making themselves look ridiculous. That arrogant little smirk on the first Harley rider's face as he turned right after he cut me off! I mean, really. A grown man, fer Chrissake.

Why didn't you just move over a bit and let them past, you were on a small bike a phantom or something wouldn't have been hard to move over a bit.

I didn't hear no siren or see any flashing lights or see any brown uniforms, pal. Didn't hear no horn either. I had no legal obligation to pull over, and I was anticipating the turn at the corner. And, as mentioned, I figured they were enjoying a wank with their revving noises, as many Harley riders do. For all I knew, they might enjoy slowing down to give the denizens of the soi even more enjoyment. Pulling over out of their way didn't even occur to me, frankly. It wasn't a situation in which it should be expected at all.

From your first post it sounds like you were deliberately blocking them going down soi post office.

Hardly. But it happened that I was ahead of them on a rather narrow and busy soi. I wanted to stay towards the safer middle of that soi. And I wanted to be first out of the corner, with a clear view, because they themselves might cause delay and confusion (you learn to be wary of farang drivers). Being ahead of them, I had the right to be first out, unless they went around. Actually I think they probably could have gone around on the right side, at the corner, if they could have gotten their minds off their revving for a second.

Now, do tell us how many times you've driven your motorbike down Soi Post Office? I'd estimate I've driven down it, over 15 years, at least 1,000 times (at once every 4 days or so).

Ultimately, they succeeded in what they truly were trying to accomplish. You pissed them off, so they pissed you off. It seems they pissed you off more than the other way around. I would bet they forgot about you an hour after it happened. Maybe you should let it go.

Honestly, probably more times than that but that's besides the point.

Alright the incident's obviously upset you a bit, consol yourself in the knowledge that based on your quite in depth description of the incident the two Harley boys were just pretenders. Any real biker is either on the open road the racetrack or something inbetween. Getting from soi postoffice to soi diana is just about getting from point a to b without having an accident. Honestly, I get quite a kick out of watching the pretenders, all the gear but no idea.