Do You Know A Plant Wholesaler?

Greenside

We have quite a lot of grey concrete wall that we'd rather not have to look at and even at the seemingly low prices of greenery in the market the bill could be a bit daunting. Our experience with ordering 50+ of most things is that they have to get a special order in and I'd like to go direct to the grower if possible. Anyone know of a grower as opposed to a seller? We're looking at green leafy things rather than flowers.

You might consider "ton tin tookay" which grows up attaching itself to the wall so it takes very little yard space. It takes a few years to get the wall covered. Don't know a wholesaler but you can easily propagate it from cuttings. PM me if you want some cuttings, my wall is about due for its annual trim.

you could try Dok Mai Gardens. They sell plants.

Have you seen their prices. they aim for the farang market and are not competitive

Their prices are high because their overheads are high, they seek western and not thai gross margins, and they have little sales volume

I don't know any specific nurseries for your needs but i just motor around, ask the locals, and seek out larger nurseries

Have you seen their prices. they aim for the farang market and are not competitive

Their prices are high because their overheads are high, they seek western and not thai gross margins, and they have little sales volume

I don't know any specific nurseries for your needs but i just motor around, ask the locals, and seek out larger nurseries

By and large they're not offering the same "everyday" plants as we see in the regular nurseries and the level of advice and knowledge that the owner provides is (at least with my level of Thai) well worth paying for. I didn't think the prices of the items he suggested were too high and he even offered us free cuttings of a couple of things.

Edited by Greenside

By and large they're not offering the same "everyday" plants as we see in the regular nurseries and the level of advice and knowledge that the owner provides is (at least with my level of Thai) well worth paying for. I didn't think the prices of the items he suggested were too high and he even offered us free cuttings of a couple of things.

If one does not shop around then yes you are right you will have to pay his prices. But he does not have what the op was looking for anyway so I don't know why Dokmai was mentioned. Hence my suggestion to drive around and go to some big nurseries / wholesalers. That's what I do for my 2 rai garden.

Kamptian and Dokmai have some interesting plants but they sell at farang prices taking advantage that farangs - some - won't shop around. That's a good business tactic but does not help the op orv others who want, as teh op said, reasonably priced plants in quantity.

Depending on what you want and how far you are willing to drive, there are a number of nurseries behind the Sankampaeng Hills.

Head east on 1317, go past Highlands Golf Club & Spa (approx 25 minutes from town), keep on going up the hill until you reach a gas station. Soon after there are about 1/2 dozen nurseries on both sides of the road run mostly by one Thai family. Not a word of English spoken. Prices are much cheaper than Khamtieng etc. but you need to go with a Thai to get Thai price. If the price is similar to the retail market you can always haggle on free planting and 6 month guaranteed replacement for plants/trees that don't take.

Good luck.

Depending on what you want and how far you are willing to drive, there are a number of nurseries behind the Sankampaeng Hills.

Head east on 1317, go past Highlands Golf Club & Spa (approx 25 minutes from town), keep on going up the hill until you reach a gas station. Soon after there are about 1/2 dozen nurseries on both sides of the road run mostly by one Thai family. Not a word of English spoken. Prices are much cheaper than Khamtieng etc. but you need to go with a Thai to get Thai price. If the price is similar to the retail market you can always haggle on free planting and 6 month guaranteed replacement for plants/trees that don't take.

Good luck.

well said

You might consider "ton tin tookay" which grows up attaching itself to the wall so it takes very little yard space. It takes a few years to get the wall covered. Don't know a wholesaler but you can easily propagate it from cuttings. PM me if you want some cuttings, my wall is about due for its annual trim.

It's only 2bt/plant at Kamtieng. We have some, it's starting to show life at last after the rainy season,

but I'd recommend some king of texturing on a flat concrete wall, as it gets so far then falls off

if the surface has no key!

David

It's only 2bt/plant at Kamtieng. We have some, it's starting to show life at last after the rainy season,

but I'd recommend some king of texturing on a flat concrete wall, as it gets so far then falls off

David

How many plants and at what planting distance?

David

How many plants and at what planting distance?

I have seen it go up on many walls that had standard relatively smooth "chap" as Thais call it and not fall off. It goes up well on un-chapped brick or concrete block. I have also seen it climb and attach to that flat asbestos/concrete paneling that is smooth.

Planting distance depends on how fast you want the wall to be covered, closer will be faster but nothing less than about 50 cm would be needed. We planted about a meter apart. They go up, fan out and overlap.

We went to Ban Huay Kaew (the place Lingnoi suggested) today. I'd driven through before but got the impression that mostly they were selling trees and larger plants which turned out to be the case. Great place to go when it comes to tree time and a nice drive into the hills so all was not lost :rolleyes:.

Guess we'll end up at Kamptien.

I have no idea of his prices, nor, for some reason, did I even venture into his shop when I visited his place. If his shop has the same amount of variety as his garden, then it would probably be worth a visit. As long as you don't mind paying a little bit more for what you want, and appreciate a bit of knowledge in English.

Good luck.

cool. never been there, I might check it out. Looking for some Bai See Tong ใบสีทอง but couldn't find any at Kham Tieng.

Greenside - I've been growing a woody creeper called cham-ma-nad (ชำมะนาด) on a bamboo trellis I had made. It's really taken off! can't wait for it to flower - they smell amazing. check it out.