Govt Dept That Controls Roads

seaeagle

Doesnt it depend on if its highway or rural road ??

I understood each tambons orbortor (or orborjor, I never understood if or what the difference was) was responsible for paying for the maintenance of their tambon.

Hence why they will surface one side of Patong hill, and stop leaving the other side awful, as Kathu and Patong cant co-operate on one surfacing contract.. Hence why the Karon road past the merlin is so poor. Etc.

You need to check and make sure its not a private road, something i have never come across before.

It amazes me here how many roads are not public but privately owned.

Yet they still collect parking fines and do helmet checks.. :whistling:

Love how the police chain bikes for road violations on sansabai yet the parking guys need paying because its private property.. Got it both ways.

1,2 and 3 digit road numbers are Highway Police, call 1153.

4 digit roads are local or bor tor/tesabaan responsibilty to maintain, and local Traffic Police to control legality of vehilces/drivers

private roads, most residents know who the owner is, use and parking up to owner, and owner can engage Police to enforce

Whoever is controlling the roads are not doing a very good job on maintenance. Bypass road all the way through to Central, with the section from Tesco to Central likely the heaviest traffic road in Phuket, is getting pretty bad with some mean pot holes appearing in amongst all the other surface cracks. Road connecting the two Chao Fas running from near Promphan to the school is disgraceful. I have no idea of the average lifespan of a "well constructed" road although it must depend on the daily vehicle numbers especially the heavy ones.

There does not appear to be any new roads under construction or planned. The one from the Honda showroom through to Kathu could be a great shortcut except for when there is a bottleneck by the university. Traffic flow through Phuket Town will see gridlock before long as all the roads are too narrow. The only bright spot was the road widening near Poonpol Plaza which took years to do. I realise land issues compound this problem such as the ludicrous situation with the mini tank farm on Wichit Road.

Whoever is controlling the roads are not doing a very good job on maintenance. Bypass road all the way through to Central, with the section from Tesco to Central likely the heaviest traffic road in Phuket, is getting pretty bad with some mean pot holes appearing in amongst all the other surface cracks. Road connecting the two Chao Fas running from near Promphan to the school is disgraceful. I have no idea of the average lifespan of a "well constructed" road although it must depend on the daily vehicle numbers especially the heavy ones.

There does not appear to be any new roads under construction or planned. The one from the Honda showroom through to Kathu could be a great shortcut except for when there is a bottleneck by the university. Traffic flow through Phuket Town will see gridlock before long as all the roads are too narrow. The only bright spot was the road widening near Poonpol Plaza which took years to do. I realise land issues compound this problem such as the ludicrous situation with the mini tank farm on Wichit Road.

Have you been through Karon/Kata recently? Yes, they are working on the roads but it is taking a very long time and typically they work on the Beach Road and Patak Road at the same time!

The worst place I know for potholes at the moment is the road in front of Simon Cabaret which gets worse every time I drive past.

Add to that the ugly construction work going on everywhere right now and the whole of the southern and central part of the island looks a total mess; just in time to welcome the high season tourists!

It won't get any better for a while if the rain continues either.

Have you been through Karon/Kata recently? Yes, they are working on the roads but it is taking a very long time and typically they work on the Beach Road and Patak Road at the same time!

The worst place I know for potholes at the moment is the road in front of Simon Cabaret which gets worse every time I drive past.

Add to that the ugly construction work going on everywhere right now and the whole of the southern and central part of the island looks a total mess; just in time to welcome the high season tourists!

It won't get any better for a while if the rain continues either.

I don't normally traverse the roads you mentioned but reminds me of days gone by when every year in Patong they would redo the footpaths. Piles of paving stones everywhere right at the start of the high season.

It starts with the Sor Sor who is the member for Phuket who asks the minister for roads to give him some funds to do something.

Then it filters down the ranks-

Nai Yok Or Bor Jor- Head of the Or Bor Jor, he is above the Sor Jor who is in turn higher ranked than the Nai Yok Or Bor Tor who is in charge of the Or Bor Tor.

Or Bor Jor deals with identity cards, house registration documents (Thabian Baan), marriage and divorce certificates.

Or Bor Tor is similar to local council and deals locally with roads, waste collection, animals, construction permits and more

However, the Phu Waa Jangwat is higher than all them as Governor

Then you have the following-

Rong Phu Waa -second in charge after Phu Waa

Nai ampher- who lords over the amphers. Phuket is divided into 3 amphers (districts)- Muang (city) Thalang and Kathu

Palat Ampher- second in charge of ampher

Kumnan- is in charge of his tambon which are like suburbs

Phu yai baan- is the village headman

A budget of 5 million baht is disbursed to upgrade a road, by the time it filters down the ranks about 1000 baht is left.

The Phu Yai baan or village headman then tells his nephews to go buy a pick up full of crushed rock and get some Burmese laborers to fill in the potholes on the road in question.

Trust me, that's how every budget gets disbursed, the higher up you are the more you take naturally. :jap:

Edited by logbags

If a tender is called for it is worded with specifications that only the Sor Sors brother-in-law's company can supply.

If 2 million is needed for the job, 220 million is dispursed so the Sor Sor can pocket 100 million and spread the rest around to cronies, lackeys and canvassers who will buy votes and grease the hands of people who assure his position is secure in whatever political cartel he sides with.

Each official stashes away a % of his graft because when it comes to promotions or reshuffling they know the best positions with access to the most graft cost the most.

Jobs and positions are then auctioned off to the people you know support you. Each higher position gives access to greater kickbacks so the back biting and brownosing is pretty fierce.

Classic recent example was when Newin and his crew (who control the Interior ministry post) asked for 64 billion to rent buses that run on gas for use in Bangkok.

If the real cost which a lot of experts thought was less than half, these guys stood to pocket 30 billion baht or more!! and we wonder why Thaksin wants to get back in power. :lol:

It starts with the Sor Sor who is the member for Phuket who asks the minister for roads to give him some funds to do something.

Then it filters down the ranks-

Nai Yok Or Bor Jor- Head of the Or Bor Jor, he is above the Sor Jor who is in turn higher ranked than the Nai Yok Or Bor Tor who is in charge of the Or Bor Tor.

Or Bor Jor deals with identity cards, house registration documents (Thabian Baan), marriage and divorce certificates.

Or Bor Tor is similar to local council and deals locally with roads, waste collection, animals, construction permits and more

However, the Phu Waa Jangwat is higher than all them as Governor

Then you have the following-

Rong Phu Waa -second in charge after Phu Waa

Nai ampher- who lords over the amphers. Phuket is divided into 3 amphers (districts)- Muang (city) Thalang and Kathu

Palat Ampher- second in charge of ampher

Kumnan- is in charge of his tambon which are like suburbs

Phu yai baan- is the village headman

A budget of 5 million baht is disbursed to upgrade a road, by the time it filters down the ranks about 1000 baht is left.

The Phu Yai baan or village headman then tells his nephews to go buy a pick up full of crushed rock and get some Burmese laborers to fill in the potholes on the road in question.

Trust me, that's how every budget gets disbursed, the higher up you are the more you take naturally. :jap:

Tessabaan deals with Tabien Baan,

non of the sevaral Phu Yai Baan or Kamnan in a Tambor are involved in road budgets/construction/repairs