New Passport And 1 Year Extension Based On Retirement

My passport expires in July 2012. I currently hold the 1 year extension based on retirement which is valid until May each year. So when I renew the extension in 2012, it will be only valid until July. I will get a new passport when back in Canada in April 2012. So what happens when I return to Thailand in October 2012? Should I renew my passport here in Thailand before leaving in April?

Renew in Thailand and the sooner the better.

No extension of stay can be longer than your passport validity so if you do not obtain a new passport prior to leaving your return will not be on an extension of stay with the dates you provide.

You need to obtain a new passport now (less than six months validity makes it useless for most travel). And then make your new extension of stay in the new passport after transfer of current stamps into it.

Thanks, that was my thoughts also. So I will renew my passport in Bangkok in March 2012. Then when I renew my 1 year extension shortly after, they just put the new info in the new passport by transferring the original 3 month Non O from the old passport?

Renew in Thailand and the sooner the better.

No extension of stay can be longer than your passport validity so if you do not obtain a new passport prior to leaving your return will not be on an extension of stay with the dates you provide.

You need to obtain a new passport now (less than six months validity makes it useless for most travel). And then make your new extension of stay in the new passport after transfer of current stamps into it.

I have 3 months left before renewal of my passport. Does that mean I can not travel out of Thailand and back into Thailand, unless I get a new passport right away!

Thanks, that was my thoughts also. So I will renew my passport in Bangkok in March 2012. Then when I renew my 1 year extension shortly after, they just put the new info in the new passport by transferring the original 3 month Non O from the old passport?

No; they can never transfer an actual visa. I would get the new passport before you get lower than six month validity and then have the permission to stay transferred into the new passport. They enter the old entry/visa data but not the actual visa at that time so a record is available of previous passport info. There is no cost for this procedure at Immigration.

For Canadians, you cannot renew your passport more than 6 months before expiry. My passport expires in July 2012, which means I can get renewal in February. Then I will take new passport for transfer of permission to stay to May 2012 from old one, and then a little later renew permission to stay until May 2013 with new passport.

For Canadians, you cannot renew your passport more than 6 months before expiry.

Do you have a link for that requirement?

Just now, on http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/ I entered the details for a Canadian passport holder for a flight from Thailand to Singapore on 15 NOV 2010 and passport expiration 10 MAY 2011. This is the result I got:

Passport required.

Document Validity

Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid for at least 6 months on arrival.

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/index.jsp, using the database I believe the check-in staff of all major airlines routinely consult before handing out a boarding pass, says this:

Passport required.

- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid

for at least 6 months on arrival.

I found Thai immigration helpful, when I renewed my retirement visa last November, they explained they could only renew it until October this year as my passport would then be expired.

I renewed my passport in July, they added the unexpired time to the ten year period.

When I returned to Thailand in September I called in at the immigratrion office with the old and new passports. They transferred all the previous visas renewals from the old book to the new, and gave me back the missing days on my current visa. The only thing I could not transfer was my multiple rentry, they advised me to just get a single (I was going to visit Manila), and get a multi when I next renewed my retirement visa in November.

I should add that renewing a Brit passport is both cheaper and quicker in the UK, and my next one will be free:lol:

Your original post said April with no year mentioned so expect most of us believed you were talking about the same year you planned to return. If we are now talking about renewal of passport while extension of stay is valid and you have valid re-entry permit they can be shown to allow entry on a replacement passport for the same period of time and the stamps will be transferred into your new passport.

So if I am to understand correctly, the Immigration upon entry to Thailand at Bangkok Airport will transfer everything to the new passport? That would be wonderful as its easier to renew my passport in Canada.

Now a question about airlines. I purchase a return ticket to Canada here in Thailand, so I am returning to Thailand essentially on a one way ticket. Would the airlines accept the visa in the old passport as proof of a valid visa?

Yes. It is normal to have a valid visa in in old passport. The US normal tourist visa is valid for 10 years so many people have visa in old passport - the visa remains valid.

But you do not have a visa but a re-entry permit and that might take some talking (if did for me some years ago with Eva - but when you explain it is the same as a visa and allows entry they should come around).

A Tuesday good morning from Colorado US. Today, I begin preparing for what I hope will be a long-term move to Chaiyaphum.

I want to fly 28th.November or sooner. I was there 4 months at the beginning of this year on a 6-month visa.

A simple strategy would be to remit my passport for another 6-month visitor visa; wait and see how my relationship

evolves with my beloved; and then apply for the appropriate visa that fits. Marriage or retirement, I presume, are

the choices.

I would welcome suggestions and advice via private message for promptness sake. I need to act quickly if I send my

passport to the Embassy in Washington DC.

If you want to post your reply as well so that it benefits the community that's fine. I look forward to attending social

events in the future and meeting some of you in person.

Get the visa and fly. You can then take it further if it works out. Bring your warm weather gear as it is much colder than normal up there this year. One thing you might want to do now is set up a wire transfer agreement at your bank as initial paperwork has to be signed in there presence (just an agreement you know the bank never makes mistakes and you are responsible type paper). Also try to avoid any check payments from here as a letter can go missing and could cause serious late payment problems by the time you are informed.