Widower Remarrying In Thailand

I married my first wife in Amphoe Lam Plai Mas in Buriram Province in 1973. She died in November, 1995. Back then we just went to the amphoe and paid our 25 baht. I wasn't the first farang they'd ever seen, but there weren't too many in those days. The current rules for a foreigner getting married in Thailand are more complicated. I know that if I had never been married I would need to make an affidavit at the embassy, get it translated into Thai, get that certified at the Foreign Ministry, and than take it to the amphoe where we sign the register. I've also read that if you've been married before you have to show proof that you're now single.

My question is, since my wife died so long ago, do I need to go through the extra paperwork of showing why I'm not married? Anybody knowledgeable about this? Would it be imprudent to just make out the affidavit that I'm single? My first wife was listed in the U.S. Army's DEERS program as my dependent, but she was removed in 1993 when her ID card expired (she didn't want to be bothered to renew it). Also, what's the current price in baht for doing an affidavit? Do I need to attach a copy of the death certificate to my affidavit? Or show the certificate to a consular officer? Any and all details would be welcome. :)

Do it the right way, it will be better in the long run.

I dont know in your case, but I should imagine you would need to show a Death certificate to prove you are now single and able to marry, you will probably have to get thet translated for the US Embassy and then go back and forth a couple of times for the paperwork. sorry I cant be of help.

Never married before or a widower, in either case you have to prove that you are "free to marry", generally meaning that you are not married at the moment. I don't know how the US embassy handles it, whether they have a printed form for it, but likely it will be an affidavit you sign and swear before the consular officer that it is the truth. But let's hear it from those who got that document at the US embassy.

Because you were married in Thailand before, the amphoe may be able to see that record in their computer and it will be a good idea to have also your last wife's death certificate along in case they don't also see that record online.

I went to Chainat to get a copy of my license when I married in 1970. Could not find it in the book but when I went to Korat as I had divorced in the states and going to remarry, there it was in the computer listing Chainat.

So in order to get divorced in court, I had to supply my US divorce paperwork before proceeding on with my court divorce in Thailand. It may be wise to make sure you are not in the computer and if you are, you may have to supply your divorce paper or death certificate. Depends on the Amphur also.

Chainat served the Takhli AFB area in those days so was more busy than the town size would indicate. Indeed there is a central registry of all marriages held in Bangkok and they are checked. As from above even old information has been entered onto the computer data base so not much chance of it being missed if a real check is made.

You would need to have a Spousal Death Certificate. This is more than enough. Once you get this, you may proceed to the US embassy with your passport to obtain the Affidavit/Declaration of Single Status. This needs to be translated into Thai then legalized at the MFA. This is the document you need along with your fiancee's to register a marriage at the district office.

Edited by GAM