Dvd Player With Divx Capability

yeti

Hi,

After one year and a half my Sony DVD player doesn't want to play DVD anymore, and as it would cost me 3500 THB to repair it at the Sony repair center, I will buy a new one, and will of course carefully avoid Sony.

In Central the sales guy advised me to buy a Pioneer DV585KS for around 4000 THB, and this model can read DivX format.

Does this mean that it will be able to read most of the movies I download on p2p networks ?

Does it include most common codecs, such as XVid, or do you have to reencode the movie strictly with DivX ?

Anyway to update it in case of evolution of the DivX standard ?

Thxs for any information about this DivX capability, and Pioneer DVD players...

Yeti

Yeti, l have the Pioneer DV-585K-s model DVD player, bought it a month or so ago, the day it came out virtually.

I can't tell you for sure if it will play what you get from p2p networks but l suspect it will. So far l have played original Australian, Thai and American dvd's as well as pirated Thai dvd's, all played perfectly including a couple that l had never been able to get working on other machines and computers before, no adjusting regional settings required. It also displays photo cd's made on my computer very clearly.

It's a good value unit, made in Thailand so it sells for half the price that an nearly identical spec. model sells for in the west. If you don't need the Karaoke option then l think there is a slightly cheaper (less 500baht?) model available that does everything the 585K-s does.

There was a review in The Nation recently that said it was a pretty good player. If you have a look on the internet you will find that Pioneer DVD players have a very high customer satisfaction rating which was one reason l decided to buy one. I'd maybe compare Pioneer with Pentax as a brand, maybe not the absolute best but always good value for money.

hi'

my 2cts here ...

a dvd reader reading Divx doesn't mean that it can handle all format.

check that it can play Divx 3,4 and 5 and xvid ... :o

hope it helps a bit :D

francois

ps: when burn a cd with a divx movie, burn striaght as data cd (no folder),

can put a few on dvd disc too :D

Thanks for those info.

I was wondering how a player with DivX could be "that cheap", I guess now I have the answer.

I definitely don't need the karaoke option.

There were 2 models, one 500 bahts cheaper than the other one, but the sales guy told me none of those could do karaoke, and that the cheaper one was the old model.

I didn't find any detailed specs about this model on the net, and the sales guy, except for telling me it's a good value for the money, was not really of any help when it came to detailing what it can play and cannot...

Guess I will have a look in Carrefour and Lotus, and probably buy this one, as Highwayman seems as enthusiastic as the Central guy.

Highway, you don't work for Central, do you ? :o

The Nation article.

Pioneer DV-585K-s

Pioneer DV-380-S

Just looking at the manual and it has DivX 5, DivX 4, DivX 3 and DivX VOD listed.

Things may have changed but when looking for Pioneerl l didn't see any Pioneer DVD players in my local Tesco and only the cheapest superceded model in Carrefour. BigC now have it but l got mine from Homepro Rangsit. I was actually looking to buy the earlier model but wandered in to Homepro just as they put the first shipment on display, so new that it wouldn't scan at the register. A quick look told me that it was what l was after.

Hi,

After one year and a half my Sony DVD player doesn't want to play DVD anymore, and as it would cost me 3500 THB to repair it at the Sony repair center, I will buy a new one, and will of course carefully avoid Sony.

In Central the sales guy advised me to buy a Pioneer DV585KS for around 4000 THB, and this model can read DivX format.

Does this mean that it will be able to read most of the movies I download on p2p networks ?

Does it include most common codecs, such as XVid, or do you have to reencode the movie strictly with DivX ?

Anyway to update it in case of evolution of the DivX standard ?

Thxs for any information about this DivX capability, and Pioneer DVD players...

Yeti

I bought a Toshiba sd 340E with me from the UK, it plays just about everything that i have thrown at it and that includes xvid divx 3,4,5, , all kinds of stuff (mostly adult :D ) i guess the best way to choose is to take your favourite cd's to the store to try and play them.

I understand if this is not "practicle" nudge nudge win wink :D:o:D

I'd just like to remind you that there is a new format around the corner, named HD DVD (High Definition DVD), and the first units are scheduled to be commercially launched at the end of the year / beginning of next year.

HD DVD players should be able to play new HD DVD discs as well as 'old' (current) DVD discs. However, current DVD players won't be able to play new HD DVDs when they are out.

You can also expect that when HD DVD players get released, there will be some models with Divx compatibility. With such a unit, you will be able to play VCDs, DVDs, HD DVDs and hopefully Divx CDs.

For this reason, you may like to consider waiting until those HD DVD players get out, unless of course you need a DVD player now.

Divx seems like a grey area and if you decide to purchase a Divx compatible DVD player, I would strongly advise you to do what others have mentioned: burn a few CDs with Divx files (for instance, your favourite movies, those you would really like to watch on your TV or monitor screen) and go to the shop with them to test on your selected model before purchase.

Let us know your findings...

The thing about HD DVD is that if you do wait for them to come out, the first few units will probably cost an arm and a leg. Remeber when DVD players first came out? And even VCD players? This is not even considering the fact that when players first come out, there will be very few discs to play (and the discs will be expensive too). Currently, the Pioneer 383 sells for only a few thousand baht. Just buy it now and enjoy it, and then when HD DVD comes out, and comes down to a respectable level, buy that.

The Pioneer x8x series (383, 585, 686) are, according to the Thai HT forums, very compatible in terms in Divx. You'd be hard pressed to find anything else that's much better for this price.

No I could not wait: nieces of my girlfriend are here for the week-end, they are 6 and 8, and every DVD gives me one hour and a half of nearly peace.

No way I could have waited :D

So I bought the Pioneer DV-383-S (same as DV-585-KS, without karaoke) for 3490 THB, plus 209 THB for the 2 years warranty extension.

I will keep you updated when I'll have time to test the DivX option (when kids will be over with every Disney DVDs&VCDs). Unless of course I go to jail for killing 2 cute children :o .

I'd just like to remind you that there is a new format around the corner, named HD DVD (High Definition DVD), and the first units are scheduled to be commercially launched at the end of the year / beginning of next year.

HD DVD players should be able to play new HD DVD discs as well as 'old' (current) DVD discs. However, current DVD players won't be able to play new HD DVDs when they are out.

You can also expect that when HD DVD players get released, there will be some models with Divx compatibility. With such a unit, you will be able to play VCDs, DVDs, HD DVDs and hopefully Divx CDs.

For this reason, you may like to consider waiting until those HD DVD players get out, unless of course you need a DVD player now.

Divx seems like a grey area and if you decide to purchase a Divx compatible DVD player, I would strongly advise you to do what others have mentioned: burn a few CDs with Divx files (for instance, your favourite movies, those you would really like to watch on your TV or monitor screen) and go to the shop with them to test on your selected model before purchase.

and a hd player is a waste of money on its own, you need to compliment it with a decent hd display and audio surround system to get a great hd experience. you can already get blueray players (the competition to hd dvd), and they cost a lot.

also not a lot of content commercially available yet. for your average punter i'd wait a couple of years to get into hd.wait for a standard to emerge/win out, wait for a greater abundance of hd players on the market, and wait for more content.

i have a fantastic Pioneer dvd player.The DVS969AVi. It "upscales" the standard dvd resolution (480p i think) to 720p / 1080i , which by industry defintion is high defintion. coupled with my high definition pioneer plasma, it is orgasmic.

Edited by penelope

So I bought the Pioneer DV-383-S (same as DV-585-KS, without karaoke) for 3490 THB, plus 209 THB for the 2 years warranty extension.

They have that rip off here now? And on a throw away priced unit? Last time I even considered that speel was a Commodore 64 computer purchase 22 years ago. Sorry; but have a real distaste for the high pressure tactics used by salesman to make this extra commission.

and a hd player is a waste of money on its own, you need to compliment it with a decent hd display and audio surround system to get a great hd experience. you can already get blueray players (the competition to hd dvd), and they cost a lot.

also not a lot of content commercially available yet. for your average punter i'd wait a couple of years to get into hd.wait for a standard to emerge/win out, wait for a greater abundance of hd players on the market, and wait for more content.

i have a fantastic Pioneer dvd player.The DVS969AVi. It "upscales" the standard dvd resolution (480p i think) to 720p / 1080i , which by industry defintion is high defintion. coupled with my high definition pioneer plasma, it is orgasmic.

plus it also plays SACD and DVD audio !!!

The thing about HD DVD is that if you do wait for them to come out, the first few units will probably cost an arm and a leg.  Remeber when DVD players first came out?  And even VCD players?  This is not even considering the fact that when players first come out, there will be very few discs to play (and the discs will be expensive too).  Currently, the Pioneer 383 sells for only a few thousand baht.  Just buy it now and enjoy it, and then when HD DVD comes out, and comes down to a respectable level, buy that.

The Pioneer x8x series (383, 585, 686) are, according to the Thai HT forums, very compatible in terms in Divx.  You'd be hard pressed to find anything else that's much better for this price.

It's probably too early to say how expensive HD DVD units will be. I agree that when the DVD technology came out, tag prices were rather high. But this was an entire new technology (use of laser beams, CDs, digital, 5 channel high quality sound, ...) that came to replace video tapes (I don't consider much VCD because this technology only hit some parts of Asia, it is virtually unknown in Europe and North-America). HD DVD is only an extension of DVD. The industry may also be willing to get the market adopt the new HD DVD technology quickly, and therefore price it accordingly. The possible presence of 2 competing standards at the beginning may give them an even more compelling reason to try to capture as much of the market as they can as quickly as possible. But it may also be an adverse factor as consumers may hesitate... We'll have to wait and see.

Which Thai HT forums do you refer to? Can you give us the link (even if they are in Thai language)?

and a hd player is a waste of money on its own, you need to compliment it with a decent hd display and audio surround system to get a great hd experience.

Well, it's not, if you consider that HD players will allow you to play new generation DVDs, which your current DVD player won't.

Where exactly did you buy it?

I will keep you updated when I'll have time to test the DivX option (when kids will be over with every Disney DVDs&VCDs). Unless of course I go to jail for killing 2 cute children  :o .

Please do (keep us updated, not kill the kids...). I know a few folks who are interested in purchasing a DVD player with Divx compatibility. So, let us know how you find your new Pioneer player, your feedback will be useful. And enjoy a quiet weekend with the kids in the closed door DVD room!

and a hd player is a waste of money on its own, you need to compliment it with a decent hd display and audio surround system to get a great hd experience.

Well, it's not, if you consider that HD players will allow you to play new generation DVDs, which your current DVD player won't.

define "new generation".

for what you pay for a hd player (i'm using blueray players as an example), the majority of your dollar goes into the hd features, not the backwards compatabilities. if you are buying a hd player, you should be buying it with the main focus being to to play hd content.and hd content looks crap on substandard audio and display systems(i know from experince).if you want to play standard dvd, dvd9,dvd18 etc.. then there are many affordable budget models around.

I bought it in Central. I did not consider the warranty extension to be a rip off: instead of buying a new DVD player I would have prefer to be able to use my previous one more than one year and few months :o

As I don't consider me as an early adopter, I will wait before buying HD or Blueray to know which one wins.

I didn't kill children yet, so I did not have time to fully test it yet, but soon (I hope).

Edited by yeti

• 2 weeks later...

So now I had time to make few tests, and I'm quite happy with this cheap piece of technology.

It can play divx and xvid movies, with mp3 or ac3 sound tracks, and .sub or .srt subtitle files. I could not try thai subtitle files, as they are quite difficult to find (if anybody has addresses...).

It can play divx even if files are not very well encoded: VirtualDub telling me the encoding is too bad to convert the file, but Pioneer player does not have problem to play the same file.

The only problem is with 2 copied DVDs I bought some time ago, and it doesn't want to play them. I don't really understand why, I can play them without any problems with the DVD player of my laptop.

All other DVDs, copied or officials, from any regions are played just fine.

And it can even play the same Disney VCD 20 times in 1 week-end without any problems (I was the one getting sick :o )

So for 3500 THB it's really good :D .

I bought it in Central. I did not consider the warranty extension to be a rip off: instead of buying a new DVD player I would have prefer to be able to use my previous one more than one year and few months 

I really was not attacking you if that is how you took it - but I strongly feel it is a blatant rip off as I stated and was not aware it had made the trip to Thailand. FYI: if it lasts a month it will most likely last 5 years or more is my experience.

I bought it in Central. I did not consider the warranty extension to be a rip off: instead of buying a new DVD player I would have prefer to be able to use my previous one more than one year and few months 

I really was not attacking you if that is how you took it - but I strongly feel it is a blatant rip off as I stated and was not aware it had made the trip to Thailand. FYI: if it lasts a month it will most likely last 5 years or more is my experience.

Don't worry I did not feel it as an attack :D

I only asked for the price of the warranty extension, and for 200 THB did not hesitate. The guy selling the DVD player was far too lazzy and not motivated to propose it directly.

If I had used my previous player more than a year I would never have asked for the warranty extension. And maybe the fact that this Pioneer was produced (and designed I trink) in Thailand has influenced me a little... :o

Edited by yeti

Not sure if any models are now designed here but Pioneer has always been a highly over engineered product built much stronger than the normal consumer lines and for the price you paid should be well worth the money.

• 5 months later...

I was at Lotus on Cheng wattana today look at DVD players and the first one he showed me was the Phillips unit which they seem to have a promotion on with some Hatari fan. Anyway since it didn't have any S-Video out he immediately lost credibility. So I saw the Pioneer 583 or 383 and the 585k s models. My gut told me that the 585k s is probably the best buy there. Anybody seen it for sale cheaper than 3990 thb?

Does anybody know what this player would cost in the US? It seems to be dual voltage etc.

Edited by steffi

steffi, 3990 baht seems to be the standard price most places. I've had mine six months and l can't recall seeing it discounted even one baht. If you can find it cheaper then it's probably only going to be by a couple of hundred baht at best so unless someone can point you right now to a place that has it on sale then l wouldn't spend much time looking. If you don't require the Karaoke option then you can save 500 baht with the cheaper model.

I remember looking to see what this model sold for overseas and it seemed to be nearly double the price in Europe. Maybe that has changed six months down the track, check out some of the US online sales sites.

Funny you mentioned the Philips model. I also saw in my local Tesco a large display of Philips DVD players so l think they might be making way for the next model.

• 1 year later...

hi,

I got the same dvd player as you, do you have any problem with it? because mine often have this "Region Setting" display on the screen. when this happen all the button on the remote no function. and I have to sent it to the service center.

Yeti, l have the Pioneer DV-585K-s model DVD player, bought it a month or so ago, the day it came out virtually.

I can't tell you for sure if it will play what you get from p2p networks but l suspect it will. So far l have played original Australian, Thai and American dvd's as well as pirated Thai dvd's, all played perfectly including a couple that l had never been able to get working on other machines and computers before, no adjusting regional settings required. It also displays photo cd's made on my computer very clearly.

It's a good value unit, made in Thailand so it sells for half the price that an nearly identical spec. model sells for in the west. If you don't need the Karaoke option then l think there is a slightly cheaper (less 500baht?) model available that does everything the 585K-s does.

There was a review in The Nation recently that said it was a pretty good player. If you have a look on the internet you will find that Pioneer DVD players have a very high customer satisfaction rating which was one reason l decided to buy one. I'd maybe compare Pioneer with Pentax as a brand, maybe not the absolute best but always good value for money.