Pattaya'S Pedistrian Cross Guards

toenail

As I was walking yesterday afternoon down Beach Rd near the Holiday Inn, at the distance I saw two plain dressed Thai blowing whistles at the assigned cross way (the one with the lights that are suppose to turn red and allow the pedistrians cross the road) suddenly stopping cars to a halt to allow waiting pedistrians cross the zebra stripe pathway. Meanwhile the light above was green. To add to the confusiion, these guys look like regular folks wearing black T shirts. The only thing that indicated that they were "official" was their name ID tag around their neck. First, the light should not be green, but yellow to caution drivers; next, the cross guards should have been wearing bright orange vests. The city's intentions are good, but can't they ever think of all the details that are needed to successfully put a new idea into action?

Actually, I think the IDEA of hiring humans to enforce crossing points (with the power to ticket drivers ideally) is a very good idea. The labor costs are still cheap here so it would both create employment and more safety. The new electronic system is not working and will likely lead to deaths of people trusting that system. Thai drivers need a more active enforcement of this to change the culture about pedestrian rights (currently pedestrians have no rights). I said the idea may be good, but of course the methods they use would need to be worked on.

Edited by Jingthing

Actually, I think the IDEA of hiring humans to enforce crossing points (with the power to ticket drivers ideally) is a very good idea. The labor costs are still cheap here so it would both create employment and more safety. The new electronic system is not working and will likely lead to deaths of people trusting that system. Thai drivers need a more active enforcement of this to change the culture about pedestrian rights (currently pedestrians have no rights). I said the idea may be good, but of course the methods they use would need to be worked on.

I agree. Perhaps proper crossing guards, reflective vests, stop sight, whistles (ugh), reflective hat, and have a red light.

Having said all that, it will still probably fail.

The police have a gold mind on their hands if they want to start issuing tickets for running the lights.

Not to defend the drivers, but here goes. In the driving culture here now as it really is, wouldn't it create a dangerous situation for a few drivers to stop when most don't intend to stop? I'm not suggesting these non-stoppers have given this a lot of thought, but that video shows just how difficult this is going to be to create a safe zone for pedestrians.

Not to defend the drivers, but here goes. In the driving culture here now as it really is, wouldn't it create a dangerous situation for a few drivers to stop when most don't intend to stop? I'm not suggesting these non-stoppers have given this a lot of thought, but that video shows just how difficult this is going to be to create a safe zone for pedestrians.

Actually that's my fear. Stop on your motorbike for the redlight and get rear ended by a bahtbus that wasn't planning on stopping.

Actually that's my fear. Stop on your motorbike for the redlight and get rear ended by a bahtbus that wasn't planning on stopping.

It's not just the DRIVING culture, it's the PEDESTRIAN culture. Do you really think that Pattaya street crossers will walk up or down a hundred meters, push a button, wait for a light, and cross on the zebra? Forget about it. They will do as they always have, pick their way across moving traffic, day or night, drunk or sober.

It's not just the DRIVING culture, it's the PEDESTRIAN culture. Do you really think that Pattaya street crossers will walk up or down a hundred meters, push a button, wait for a light, and cross on the zebra? Forget about it. They will do as they always have, pick their way across moving traffic, day or night, drunk or sober.

Now that is not fair. Many more WOULD especially on busy streets like 2nd road if they had confidence that the crossings were actually safe and effective.

Then they really could have saved all that money on the technology and just employed 'lollipop' ladies like we have at school road crossings in UK.

Now that is not fair. Many more WOULD especially on busy streets like 2nd road if they had confidence that the crossings were actually safe and effective.

The pedestians I saw crossing Beach Road this afternoon were crossing within 10 metres of the pelican crossings and made no attempt to walk to them and push the button.

This at eveery light between Mike's Shopping Mall and South Road, even though the distamce between crossings was no more than 100 metres I'd guess.

I saw the crossing guards today when I went out. Amazing. They did the good thing and helped everyone across the road, but totally disregarded the color of the lights. They stopped traffic on green and let them go on red. Thailand at its finest.

What it comes down to is, they just wasted millions of dollars. Should have hired these guys from the start.

I agree. Perhaps proper crossing guards, reflective vests, stop sight, whistles (ugh), reflective hat, and have a red light.

Having said all that, it will still probably fail.

The police have a gold mind on their hands if they want to start issuing tickets for running the lights.

Or, when the driver gets the red light, a moat infested with corcos opening up across the road.

The pedestians I saw crossing Beach Road this afternoon were crossing within 10 metres of the pelican crossings and made no attempt to walk to them and push the button.

This at eveery light between Mike's Shopping Mall and South Road, even though the distamce between crossings was no more than 100 metres I'd guess.

This is a chicken and egg argument. First of all, its debatable whether the walking buttons work. Second of all, you are asking people to trust that traffic will stop at those crossings? That's asking a lot of people to be human cannon fodder for a weak, non-enforced experiment. More muscle is needed to make this work. Blaming pedestrians for avoiding being killed is just going too far. If the police do get involved, sure ticket BOTH non-compliant vehicles and non-compliant pedestrians, why not? But the vehicles have the power of instant death, pedestrians don't, so the focus needs to be on the lethal vehicles. Edited by Jingthing

Tokay, thanks for taking the time to document this and creatively put it on Youtube. The police car going through the red light was classic (meanwhile, the city police are too busy on the corners giving out tickets to poor cycle drivers instead of ticketing the big guys) I thiink the city needs to educate the local drivers about these pedestrian lights and the imporatnce of not speeding. Some innocenet Western tourist will get killed some day from thinking these crossways are safe assuming the locals drive like back in their own country.

I think we locals could do more video and cell phone shots on what isn't working in the city since the city officials are clueless. (yes, I have a right to complain I work and pay taxes in this province).

I don't want to sound cynical , but have you seen the Traffic Wardens in Makati & at lights in the Philippines ???

If they think you are a target you have to give them their 'T' money to either cross or drive through a set of lights. Late at night in a nice vehicle alone you are gone.

How long before they twig in Patts , that it is another revenue stream for them ???

NO , that wouldn't happen would it ??

:thumbsup:

One post deleted read the rules before you post please.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

Okay, sorry, just frustrated when I see this sort of dangerous inconsiderable act. I will endeavour to keep a civil tougue

Bye

Unreal...great video. I had friends in this past week at the Amari, went up and down Beach and 2nd road many times and never saw the lights turn red. Thai's run red lights all the time. Even on Suk. This is a disaster waiting to happen. But hey! It's better than Vietnam and China!

Red lights NOWHERE in Thailand stop Thai's on a regular basis. They should have initiated strict enforcement as soon as the cross walks came on line to make them think about it, the same is happening here where they just installed them and it's a guaranteed accident waiting to happen as it's certain someone will be rushing to get across before the light turns at last minute and since the drivers have no patience that's when they run the light when they think everyone has already crossed, considering whether or not they even stop at all of course..

This is a chicken and egg argument. First of all, its debatable whether the walking buttons work. Second of all, you are asking people to trust that traffic will stop at those crossings? That's asking a lot of people to be human cannon fodder for a weak, non-enforced experiment. More muscle is needed to make this work. Blaming pedestrians for avoiding being killed is just going too far. If the police do get involved, sure ticket BOTH non-compliant vehicles and non-compliant pedestrians, why not? But the vehicles have the power of instant death, pedestrians don't, so the focus needs to be on the lethal vehicles.

Firstly nobody is ever going to know if the butons work if they don't bother to walk 10 metres in order to press them.

Secondly theres' no point in having them if pedestrians don't trust them.

It's not a matter of blaming pedestians for not getting killed, now City Hall has a reason foir blaming pedestians FOR getting killed. "They should have used the crossing, that's what we put them there for"

If they are not used then they can't be enforced.