Deadline For Viktor Bout Remand Due On Friday

webfact

MERCHANT OF DEATH

Deadline for Bout remand due on Friday

By The Nation

Extradition proceedings involving Russian arms trafficking suspect Viktor Bout will reach a critical juncture on Friday he could either be freed, or remain in custody, or be sent to the US for trial, a chief prosecutor said yesterday.

Friday is the day when the 90-day deadline to hold Bout on remand expires, pending a further decision by the judiciary or an additional request from the US authorities, Sirisak Tiyapan said.

“If public prosecutors do not receive any instruction before Friday to seek judicial approval to keep Bout under remand, then he will be released,” Sirisak said.

In order to apply for the extension of the remand deadline, prosecutors must have a request from either the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the US, he said.

Without such a request, Bout would be freed because the Appeals Court specified a clear deadline for sending Bout to the United States, he said, adding that the extradition process was held up because of a second extradition request detailing charges related to money laundering.

Although the Criminal Court dismissed the second extradition request due to the appellate review on the earlier request approving the extradition, Bout has filed an appeal asking for defence witnesses to testify and the court has yet to form an appellate decision on the matter, he said.

As long as the appellate review on the second request remains incomplete, the extradition relating to the first request cannot be activated, he said. Bout would be released if authorities let the deadline pass.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-15

either be freed, or remain in custody, or be sent to the US

Remain in custody? If they want a setup of a third act event they cannot leave in a possible cliff-hanger like that.

Edited by TAWP

He needs to go to the U.S. for a good info squeeze! End of story! Then send him to Gen Pop in any lock up to see how he does!

Why the hel_l don't they just send him back to the country of which he is a passport holder.!!

Which one?

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Good one!!!

Wonder if the yanks still have a plane waiting for him?

The transit visas of the crew must have just about run out by now.

Cant help thinking he may not get much of a fair go in the good old US of A after all how many have they still got banged up in Git-mo and other more secret places for waterboarding and other arobic excercises.

Cant help thinking he may not get much of a fair go in the good old US of A after all how many have they still got banged up in Git-mo and other more secret places for waterboarding and other arobic excercises.

Can't compare this with Gitmo. Most of those in Gitmo were involved in violent activities during the Afgan war. I don't agree with what happened there, but if you shoot at somebody, you have to deal with the consequences. Now they are crying their rights are being abused...what about the rights of the people who were shot or bombed by them? Two sides to every story...

As far as Viktor getting a good trial...for sure. He'll have the best lawyer money can buy, as he is a rich guy. The US legal system is fairly good...if you have the cash. And he sure does. It will be a trail for the ages. Maybe as good as OJ Simpson's!

He needs to go to the U.S. for a good info squeeze! End of story! Then send him to Gen Pop in any lock up to see how he does!

Why the hel_l don't they just send him back to the country of which he is a passport holder.!!

Which country? I believe he was identified as holding 5 different passports (although I think 2 were for Russia).

Would you like him to go back to the UAE where he can rejoin his business partner and return to selling arms to embarged nations?

Can't compare this with Gitmo. Most of those in Gitmo were involved in violent activities during the Afgan war. I don't agree with what happened there, but if you shoot at somebody, you have to deal with the consequences. Now they are crying their rights are being abused...what about the rights of the people who were shot or bombed by them? Two sides to every story...

As far as Viktor getting a good trial...for sure. He'll have the best lawyer money can buy, as he is a rich guy. The US legal system is fairly good...if you have the cash. And he sure does. It will be a trail for the ages. Maybe as good as OJ Simpson's!

Don't have all the facts, but heard that he was deep in the illegal arms trade at one point in time. Won't be surprised if the CIA was behind some of his dealings. There are many people who will get burnt by him talking. As long as he keeps the money flowing to the Thai's, his extradition case will remain in limbo for quite a while. If he does get sent to the US, I reckon he will find a mysterious and tragic end before seeing the inside of a courtroom.

Am I the only one who thinks the rampant anti-american sediment :o <sic> err sentiment runs very deep indeed here with the illustrious posers ;) <sic> err posters on the T/V Forum? :huh: Being an american, I ‘resemble’ :whistling: <sic> err resent those type of mindless remarks.

Actually, ol’ Vic woulda been in the US a long time ago if we (the US) hadn’t shot ourselves in the foot the first go round by ‘encouraging’ the thai prosecutors to file additional charges of money laundering, etc. :ermm:

The last time we were so afraid he’d be released and we couldn’t snap him up, whisk him to the US. Sadly it is the US and the urging of the thai prosecutors which developed into this logistical and legal snafu. B)

As an aside; I too was wondering about that jet we sent here which was parked out at Don Muang waiting to extradite him. I never did hear if it left, if the crew got ‘long-stay visas’ or what happened. :P

Which one?

Of course in those good old times, a child was born to parents with certain genetics manifested in language

and nationality. But now where millions of people migrate to countries of which they know neither language

nor religion for economic reasons and after years might aquire a passport. What are they now?

They never change their skin. Some privileged people can of course buy passports like cauliflower.

So in Bout's case, I recon he should be sent back to the country on which passport he entered LOS.

Of course in those good old times, a child was born to parents with certain genetics manifested in language

and nationality. But now where millions of people migrate to countries of which they know neither language

nor religion for economic reasons and after years might aquire a passport. What are they now?

They never change their skin. Some privileged people can of course buy passports like cauliflower.

So in Bout's case, I recon he should be sent back to the country on which passport he entered LOS.

Which basically comes down to "let him go whereever he wants", correct?

Which basically comes down to "let him go whereever he wants", correct?

Not really. Suppose he would have the entry stamp on an american passport guess where he would end up.

There has been a recent thawing of US-Russia relations. This one could set that back a way. The US was even looking at pressuring Georgia to not even think of vetoing Russia's WTO application. Then there has been the Russian help in the mess that is Afghanistan. Interesting

True some people at Guantanamo are being held for violent activities, others however are being held for being a wanted persons driver or cook, also bear in mind U.S. was an invading force, if someone invaded my country i'd do the right thing and pick up a gun.

True some people at Guantanamo are being held for violent activities, others however are being held for being a wanted persons driver or cook, also bear in mind U.S. was an invading force, if someone invaded my country i'd do the right thing and pick up a gun.

For sure...not a good situation at all.

Uhh, there's a problem with your statement. The USA did not invade Saudi Arabia, or Yemen or Russia and several other countries. Did you have a look at the list of detainees? The majority were not Afghanistan citizens. If you wish to condemn the U.S. presence, please enlighten me on your position on the presence of the armed Arabs in a non Arab country? Do you think they were there to build schools and to help on women's social development? Ohhh, I know, they were there to restore the 3 Buddhas that the Taliban blew up, right?

Edited by geriatrickid

Uhh, there's a problem with your statement. The USA did not invade Saudi Arabia, or Yemen or Russia and several other countries. Did you have a look at the list of detainees? The majority were not Afghanistan citizens. If you wish to condemn the U.S. presence, please enlighten me on your position on the presence of the armed Arabs in a non Arab country? Do you think they were there to build schools and to help on women's social development? Ohhh, I know, they were there to restore the 3 Buddhas that the Taliban blew up, right?

Is any of the armed foreigners there for that reason?

Can't compare this with Gitmo. Most of those in Gitmo were involved in violent activities during the Afgan war.

Not true

Recently 520 were released from Gitmo

18 were claimed to have actual ties to terrorist groups yet even less than the 18 were actually named.

That is a very poor success ration & a very high wrongfully imprisoned ratio. Some of these were in there for 9 years.

How would you like to be stripped of 9 years of your life & being able to provide for your family?

The majority of prisoners in Gitmo are sold into prison by the likes of Pakistani police for cash.

Would it be surprising if the 500+ innocent released are now with a chip on their shoulder or a grudge to settle?

According to several Thai's I have asked will Viktor Bout be extradited to US?

"NO WAY!!!!!!! Viktor Bout going to US Thailand have close relationship with Russia"

Not my opinion just what I have been told.

Can't talk about the reason given just try it ask a Thai.

Don't have all the facts, but heard that he was deep in the illegal arms trade at one point in time. Won't be surprised if the CIA was behind some of his dealings. There are many people who will get burnt by him talking. As long as he keeps the money flowing to the Thai's, his extradition case will remain in limbo for quite a while. If he does get sent to the US, I reckon he will find a mysterious and tragic end before seeing the inside of a courtroom.

This is, at its core, a tug of war between the Americans (who, via the CIA, have indeed had dealings with Bout) and the Russians (for whom Viktor is a quasi-governmental agency, funneling illegal arms money to the big boys), with various Thais both stuck in the middle and benefiting from it.

The Americans want to know what Bout knows about certain things - or at least want the leverage of the threat of finding out what Bout knows about certain Russian dealings. The Russians want to prevent Bout from falling into American hands, lest he be forced to spill the beans about what he knows.

The Thais want to avoid displeasing one or the other of their benefactors. Certain Thai factions favor the Americans; others the Russians. All are happy to continue being per$uaded to act in the proxy's interest, however, though that could end badly for someone if they can't make good on their promises.

This is, at its core, a tug of war between the Americans (who, via the CIA, have indeed had dealings with Bout) and the Russians (for whom Viktor is a quasi-governmental agency, funneling illegal arms money to the big boys), with various Thais both stuck in the middle and benefiting from it.

The Americans want to know what Bout knows about certain things - or at least want the leverage of the threat of finding out what Bout knows about certain Russian dealings. The Russians want to prevent Bout from falling into American hands, lest he be forced to spill the beans about what he knows.

The Thais want to avoid displeasing one or the other of their benefactors. Certain Thai factions favor the Americans; others the Russians. All are happy to continue being per$uaded to act in the proxy's interest, however, though that could end badly for someone if they can't make good on their promises.

I'm sure they'll want to know who is the next Victor Bout.

Can't compare this with Gitmo. Most of those in Gitmo were involved in violent activities during the Afgan war.

Not true

Recently 520 were released from Gitmo

18 were claimed to have actual ties to terrorist groups yet even less than the 18 were actually named.

That is a very poor success ration & a very high wrongfully imprisoned ratio. Some of these were in there for 9 years.

How would you like to be stripped of 9 years of your life & being able to provide for your family?

The majority of prisoners in Gitmo are sold into prison by the likes of Pakistani police for cash.

Would it be surprising if the 500+ innocent released are now with a chip on their shoulder or a grudge to settle?

I hear ya. And as I said in my initial post, I do not agree with Gitmo. But as you know, war...or terrorism...is a horrible thing. Innocents get killed on both sides. No way to avoid that. That's why I have always been against the Iraq invasion and the Afgan war. They are both no win situations somewhat similar to Vietnam.

But from what I have read, many in Gitmo were caught on the battlefield, and are legitimate detainees. As mentioned before, a majority are not even from Afghanistan. I have read where many innocents were imprisoned, being brought to the US due to payments. Not a good thing and the US should have figured this out immediately. They didn't, which is a huge black eye for the US.

Unfortunately, we operate under different rules than they do. They can get away with drugging a woman and hiding a suicide bomb under her burqa. Unconscionable. I'm glad we operate under different rules, but it does make things more difficult...and our operations are much more transparent.

Again, in total agreement with you. War is hel_l.

Un